Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 24 posts
10/25/2011 at 6:41 PM

My earliest Huguenot so far

Thomas Lanphear

From Languedoc to London to Rhode Island.

I have an unrelated line in the Hume Cronyn tree - the Labatts - that went from Bordeaux in France to Ireland to Ontario, Canada.

Andrew Labatt

10/25/2011 at 7:46 PM

Nicholas "The Elder" Lanier, Sr.

Apparently P.S. Angus has a project on the Lanier family and he wrote: "The Lanier were Protestants and left France to escape abuse and exploitation. They were Huguenots to London, and the records of the Huguenot Society of London have them well-recorded. Having been naturalized Englishmen for three generations, they are Huguenots to London, rather than Huguenots to America. LANIER descendants are eligible for Huguenot Society membership."

Angus Wood-Salomon

Could you link your Huguenots of London Project?

10/25/2011 at 8:37 PM

Nicholas Lanier's daughter-in-law's bio is absolutely fascinating Aemilia Lanier, Writer and Poet. Aren't the Lanier's connected to Pam Wilson (on hiatus)?

"Aemilia Lanier’s book of poetry, Salve Deus Rex Judaeorum, has been championed as a pioneer in feminist writing by the academics of the English Departments of the American Universities."

Theories abound about Emilia, from being Shakespeare's mistress, to being the actual author of his work.

10/25/2011 at 8:47 PM

The Global Huguenot Diaspora Project overview needs a section on "notables" in my opinion. Maybe just an alphabetized list with links to their profiles. ?

10/25/2011 at 8:49 PM

Meanwhile I'm just going to park on this discussion the Huguenot immigrant ancestor I run into. Otherwise I will lose them. Hope that's on OK approach ?

10/25/2011 at 9:37 PM

Hey Erica, regarding Thomas Lanphear, I guess we don't have a primary source for his origin in Languedoc? I see that an alternative spelling would be Lanphere - and I'm also finding Lamphier in online discussions.
I think is is the typical challenge we're facing for so many profiles. Their names were probably phonetically transcribed in their 'arrival records' - so we have to guess what the orginal name might have been.
If you want to pursue something about Lamphier, I'm seeing that someone is trying the DNA route around possibly the same ancestor (I found a reference on this page... http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/index.php?topic=8266.475)

10/25/2011 at 10:34 PM

Thank you. If you can look into the French end I'll be back for England and Rhode Island - as soon as I finish merging the 25 unmerged copies of each in the immigrant generation. :):). That will take me some time before I can really document. I think there are generational strays.

I believe I saw a reference to "tailor of London" - perhaps in the Viver wife. There is a clear burial record in Wiltshire, 1665, to be found.

What is actually interesting also is my connection is through a well known dissident Puritan - "Elder" Crandall. http://wellsgenealogy.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/july-1-2010/

I have to figure out the marriage events that link radical (Welsh?) Puritans to Huguenots to my own (Scots?) Ross line. Very confusing conceptually.

10/25/2011 at 11:21 PM

Lanphere, Edward E. The Lanphere and Related Families Genealogy. Chapel Hill, N.C: s.n., 1970. Print.

Unfortunately still in copyright and not even held at a NYC library. But available on line through Ancestry. I'll load any pages I can to to profile.

10/25/2011 at 11:26 PM

Not actually all that helpful on France. "Many authoritative sources" (who?) say Nimes in Languedoc.

10/26/2011 at 1:11 AM

Erica - I'll do the SA (and other, if you like) notables - as soon as I've finished hypertexting all the Huguenot couples on the SA project.

If I'm a bit quiet here, it's because of all the ugliness that's been happening. I am also working on an article for an archiving website to try to attract more African users to add to our tree.

But the Huguenots are at least half of all my direct ancestors so this Huguenot site is a long-term commitment for me. I'm going nowhere:-)
and just waiting for the rest of the countries to catch up with all the data we're so proud to already have on our SA Huguenot project:
http://www.geni.com/projects/French-Huguenot-Settlers-in-the-Cape-SA
Brag brag - I know. But I work for praise, not money :-)

10/27/2011 at 4:02 AM

I guess we saw these numbers before, but it's never superfluous to keep them in mind :-)
An estimated 200,000 Huguenots fled France (that's about 1.1% of the population). There were about 2M Huguenots in France, on a population of 18M.
- An estimated 75K-100K went to the Low Countries
- 50K went to England (of which then 10K on to Ireland)
- 44K went to Germany
The impact on the Low Countries was immense, of course, given the size of the local population. And, yes, all this sparked the Dutch golden age and gave us all those fine paintings :-)
I'm going to work on some better geographical analysis of the 'key pockets' of Huguenots in France (may take a while, though)

10/27/2011 at 4:04 AM

Needless to say, the impact on Ireland must have been very significant too (Ireland had an estimated population of less that an million, around 1600).

10/27/2011 at 8:54 AM

The numbers help me a lot, also a timeline. I'm unclear on secondary migrations to the Americas - when and why. New Paltz looks like a secondary, not sure about Mannikin.

10/27/2011 at 11:26 AM

New Paltz doesn't look secondary, but it all depends, indeed, on the timeline :-)
I saw a very interesting book online, in English, that explains some demographics on Huguenot concentrations in France: http://books.google.com/books?id=py0LAAAAIAAJ&lpg=PA29&dq=c....
I'm sure Private User must have a far closer feel for the phases in New Amsterdam. Remember we had a discussion about drilling down on religions in New Amsterdam? Perhaps we really have to start doing it.
Personally, I think I'd like to concentrate on understanding better the French localization (we might get help from French on this one ;-) ).
200,000 emigrants is a HUGE number - and they emigrated in a period when 'offical records' were still very sparse. I think we need to try and reach out to local French genealogists that may have specialized in this field.

10/27/2011 at 12:00 PM

What I'd really, really like is a simple time line chart on the overview page that gives me a high level flow - not much more complex than your quick numbers above.

That way when I encounter a French name in an Irish emigrant to Ontario, Canada - the Labatt above is a great example - I can start to look into it a bit more.

In other words you're so far ahead of me in this I'm lost!!! :(

10/27/2011 at 4:23 PM

James Louis Petigru. Cousin to my great great grandfather Algernon Sidney Petticrew. Our Petticrew family was apparently Huguenot who fled to Scotland and then came to Virginia. Perhaps with Lord Baltimore such is what my great grandmother said. My great great great grandfather Hames Petticrew was born in Rockbridge Co Virginia and married Sarah Kenny who's ancestry is said to be de Kyner.

Another Huguenot ancestor! Amazing. I'm at my Mom's house and I happened to mention the Huguenot project and my mom pulled out her grandmother Petticrew's handwritten notes.

10/27/2011 at 4:26 PM

Look up New Bordeaux founded in 1764 by the grandfather of James Louis Petigru (see Wikipedia article).

Private
10/27/2011 at 5:20 PM

http://www.johncroom.com/croopa28.htm

In the search through genealogy sites, and through a wide and varied correspondence, James Thomas Pettigrew of Tupelo, Ms., has in the latter years of his life gathered this material for posterity of the Pettigrew family.

"Our family, The Pettigrew, dates back to about 1474, as near as I have been able to ascertain from Huguenot history in France." One, Matthew Petigru (the original spelling of the name in France) was shown in 1496 as holding lands under The Archbishop of Glasgow under King James IV of Scotland. An estimated 20,000 French Huguenots were massacred in Paris, France in 1565 at the order of the Queen Mother. The Petigru's left France due to the heavy persecution of Protestants. Most of the family settled in England and Ireland, and later migrated to America. The family was almost exterminated at this time.

The first known ancestor was an officer in the army of Oliver Cromwell. His name was James Petigru. This James sired a son, James Petigru who became an officer in the army of King William II of England. He served as an officer in The Battle of the River Boyne, 1681.

Due to the unfriendliness between England and France, and after peace was declared, the family chose to change the spelling of Petigru to Pettigrew.

Hatte, you know this I think?

10/27/2011 at 5:52 PM

Thanks Jennie, I saw this site. Our family went first to Pennsylvania apparently and then moved to Rockbridge County, Virginia. There were two brothers, James (my great great great grandfather) and David. They are apparently related to the SC Petigru (Pettigrew) family according to my great grandmother. I know my cousin has done loads of research but I think he still did not ascertain who his parents were, but this is clearly doable since there are birth records for him in Rockbridge County, born Jan 25, 1789. His wife was from Betetourt County next to Rockbridge County. His family plantation was evidently 150 acres.

10/27/2011 at 6:03 PM

That was Hatte writing from her mother's account!

10/28/2011 at 9:45 PM

Silk dyer, perhaps from St. Mary's La Tour, Ipswich, County Suffolk, England.  Ancestors believed to be Huegenots  (Fr. "Feuillevert"), came as refugees from France in the 16th Century.  (See "The Greenleaf Family", by Jas. Greenleaf).  My 10th great grandfather.

Capt. Edmund Greenleaf, Sr.

Added to Project http://www.geni.com/projects/Hugenots-of-Colonial-America-New-England

10/15/2014 at 7:40 PM

The date given for Thomas Lanphere's death is August 24, 1572. Since this is the date for the St. Bartholomew's Eve massacre, would it be too much of a leap to think that Thomas was one of the Huguenot leaders killed on this day? I've only seen Gaspard de Coligny mentioned by name.

10/15/2014 at 8:44 PM

The notes in George Lanphear's profile say:

"George was a grandson of Huguenots [Huguenot = a French Protestant of the 1500 and 1600s, believed Calvinist or Reformed theology]. His grandfather THOMAS LANPHEAR [4] fled France following the massacre on the Eve of St. Bartholomew."

So I would not believe the grand father actually died in the massacre unless there's a source that lists his name recognizably so; I would think the profile should read "after that date."

10/15/2014 at 11:27 PM

The grandfather referenced there was Thomas II/Jr. George was the son of Richard, son of Thomas II, b. 1550. He fled to England after the death of his father, Thomas, son of Thakere Lanphere.
The real question that I'm asking is whether the Lanpheres were nobles. Wikipedia's info on the massacre quotes "Holt" & states that perhaps "2-3 dozen nobles" who were Huguenot leaders were killed. If Thomas I was killed in the 8/24 massacre, then, logically, he was a noble.
I have also come across a researcher, Karen Johns, on the internet who maintains that the Lanphere family was "noble" -- which should make them easier to research,but I haven't found any records (including Medlands). Perhaps they were wealthy merchants?
"The Lanphier’s, were located in Avignon and Arles, Provence; and Saint Giles and Niems, Gard, in the Languedoc Region..." - Mike Clancy, Ancestry.com Lanphere message board. A Lanphere descendant said that he traveled through this area & that there were a "lot" of things named Lanphere, including roads, etc. So they must have made an impact...just puzzled that they didn't leave a "footprint".
Thanks!

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion