I am removing myself as a South African curator.

Started by Sharon Doubell on Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 73 posts
10/26/2011 at 11:12 PM

Just a short note to alert people that I am removing myself as a South African curator.

10/26/2011 at 11:52 PM

Don't do it!

Private User
10/27/2011 at 3:01 AM

This is a shame! So sorry to learn of your decision!

10/27/2011 at 3:48 AM

Sharon, I am so sorry to learn of your decision.
Best wishes, Pam

Private User
10/27/2011 at 4:57 AM

Sorry to hear that Sharon... unfortuneately I not permitted to view the discussion you have linked.?

Private User
10/27/2011 at 10:03 AM

Sharon, chill! Take a deep breath. Don't do this, please!

Private User
10/27/2011 at 12:13 PM

Why??? Also not allowed to view link to discussion. Is link only for curators and not for pro's???

10/27/2011 at 12:32 PM

Sharon
I am sorry to hear about this.
If there is a reason for this, there is no alternative to proper discussion and openness to and respect for possible different viewpoints.
Regards
Daan
PS Sorry Typo!

Private User
10/27/2011 at 3:21 PM

Sharon, you are obviously very upset. Something has obviously gone very badly wrong. You clearly have the support of many Geni friends. I hope you will take comfort from that, and I hope that some resolution can be achieved that enables you to remain confident and active as a curator.

Private User
10/28/2011 at 1:14 AM

Sharon, if this decision has anything to do with my suspension as curator based on my response to your accusations, please use your training as a psychologist and think about it carefully. I know you get to feel like this and right now I feel pretty desperate and distressed myself so I can appreciate where you are coming from. I hope the sympathy as expressed by those who like you around in Geni will guide you like it did the last time.

Private User
10/28/2011 at 2:54 AM

Sharon has chosen to leave the SOUTH AFRICAN curating; she is still a curator.

Private User
10/28/2011 at 3:19 AM

Aaah thanks for clarifying. Strange that. I understand Sharon and yourself to be designing a whole new set of South African projects?

Private User
10/28/2011 at 3:20 AM

Wanting to transfer all profiles and users from this project to the new one?

Private User
10/28/2011 at 3:29 AM

Maybe someone could share the details of the link with us so we can understand what is going on. But definitely the ALERT from Sharon seems to be quite different from what we understand it to be?

10/28/2011 at 3:38 AM

Sharon
With the loss of Mauritz as South African Curator we would be far worse off if we lost you as well.

Please don't leave.

Private User
10/28/2011 at 3:44 AM

Brendan I think from what June says it is clear Sharon is not leaving.. She is just looking for sympathy. That is my opinion anyway.

10/28/2011 at 4:33 AM

now now children play nicely

Private User
10/28/2011 at 5:16 AM

Absolutely Brett - if you read Sharon's statement correctly it is very clear that she is stepping away from the South African tree. She will continue her stirling curator work elsewhere on the tree. Plain and simple - so please don't stir things up - doen't help anyone!

10/30/2011 at 10:50 PM

I went on to the site to find out more about my family and where it all started. Sad that " politics" has wormed itself into the situation.

10/31/2011 at 9:48 AM

I am sure that, amongst the top tier, there is a certain amount of professional and scientific mind-wrestling, but the bigger picture is to create an international tree, and everybody should be able to have an input and that black, white, coloured and all the rest forms part of the bigger picture. Having said that, in my experience the "black tree" did interlink with the "white tree" in South Africa to a very limited extent. I have picked up (amongst 100K) only one "X" of a white family marrying "Y", "a [black tribe] woman", dating back to the late 1800's. I wouldn't mind more input in this regard, because I think it adds diversity of note! I suggest that the matter be dealt with in this genealogical fashion. Have a great day

10/31/2011 at 10:05 AM

May I venture to ask: Are the records there or being created?

10/31/2011 at 10:16 AM

Naude, fromn the bottom tier that just wants to encourage all South Africans to put their families on Geni :-) - please tell me if there are records you can add?
The Huguenots (my own ancestors) are so spectacularly well documented that it is an historical challenge to get the British, Nguni and Xhosa setllers on our tree with similar impressive formality.

Don't keep it to yourself if you have anything that adds to any of it. We need it! (oh damn: did I say, "We"? )

11/1/2011 at 3:21 AM

I have followed your various discussions/allegations/accussations what ever you want to call it. That is till today the major problem with us "Europeans" We just cannot agree and co-operate.I therefore would like to urge you not to split up and starting new projects but to see the bigger goal and that is to built a family tree of us South - Africans which eventually wil have the effect that other races will have to be connected. So please let us forget our personal feelings and collaborate in the interest of all South Africans as well as of future generations to come!!!

11/1/2011 at 7:26 PM

Well said Jan. I agree with Ludwig's comment, in that I joined Geni to find out more about my family in it's broadest context and to contribute whatever info I can to help confirm record details where needed. What a pity things have gotten to the point they have!!!

Private User
11/2/2011 at 1:08 AM

I have been gone for a while due to bad health and It seems all hell has broken loose. Sharon, I have always enjoyed your contributions to Geni. It is a pity you are leaving the South African tree. I do wish that you would reconsider your desicion. As a Pro member there are many times that I feel frustrated. I have soo much more information to enter into my side of the tree and I am sure it will take me many months, if not years, to enter it all. It would be great if you were still around to help.

Private User
11/2/2011 at 5:06 AM

I have been a user since May 2008, and have learnt a lot about my ancestors, and have watched my tree grow and grow...although there are still some weak and withered branches... I am not a active genealogist, but rather a armchair reseacher. So love sharing the information I find and that others have found. I am less interested in the politics and fighting that erupted recently mainly over naming conventions and where to use caps etc. etc. What I am interested in is the data NOT how it is presented... I would also love to see a South African Project for introductions and to help those stuck on part of there tree..

Private
11/3/2011 at 7:22 AM

Thank you Don. As always I value your opinion.I can't agree with you more. Lekker bly in die mooie Kaap. I am yealous, o so jaloers. Hope to see you before you, Rachel and the girls leave. Don was my viery 1st mentor.

11/3/2011 at 7:38 AM

Re Don's request for an Intro page for SA Geni users: http://www.geni.com/projects/South-Africans-Geni-Landing-Site-WELKO.... This was created a while ago by Mau and I BEFORE all the ugliness :-)

11/3/2011 at 11:53 AM

Sjoe! Dit is waarom die Groot Trek in verskillende windrigtings was - ons kon nog nooit saamwerk of trek nie!!!! Let us concentrate on the main task (why I started getting involved) and that is to find out where we all came from, where we fit into the greater pixture, and to enable those we at the end leave behind to know something about their ancestors. None of my direct relatives were on Geni before I got involved. I have smaller issues to sort out and that is for instance to get myself recognised by my e-mail address because my sister in law registered my e-mail address under my wife Maria's name. Therefore I (Dewald Steyn) will appear as Maria Steyn. Also how can I change a photo on the cite? Please stop the politics!!!!

Showing 1-30 of 73 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion