A brave New WAy to discover the AMerica's ?

Started by Private User on Monday, October 31, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 20 posts
Private User
10/31/2011 at 11:45 AM

Since I'm interested in genealogy -about 1985, I do not remember exactly- i had problems with finding relatives that emigrated to the States or contingents like Canada or AUstralia of NEW Zealand. A lot of Dutch farmers choose to keep their children away from such a flood of waters after 1953 when what we called a sort of ELISABETHSVLOED had importance about how we thought about chances in EUROPE, also after a war 1940-1945 that was NOT that nice for our parents or the brothers born just before or just after that confusing era.

Now I want to know more about the geography of the States, but THAT's NOT EASY for a sixty years old Dutch wooden shoe wearing women with fear to join social media like facebooks. So now I'm working on geni already for more than a year, I think Americans should help US to find relatives that excaped from our wars with water to much higher regions on the other side of the ATLANTICS. So, please if you like to join or help expand these ideas, your more than WELCome to my famiiies abroead. By, jMu.

10/31/2011 at 2:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_American
http://www.thenaf.org/home/5AF30A950E/Henry%20Hudson%20400.html

jMu, part of what you're looking for I think is the migration pattern of the Dutch once landed in America, correct?

From Wiki

Following the exploration of the American East Coast by Henry Hudson on behalf of the Dutch East India Company in 1609, Dutch settlement in the Americas started in 1613. From then on a number of villages, including New Amsterdam on the East Coast, which would become the future world metropolis of New York City, were established by Dutch immigrants. According to the 2006 United States Census, more than 5 million Americans claim total or partial Dutch heritage[1]

Today the majority of the Dutch Americans live in Michigan, California, Montana, Minnesota, New York, Wisconsin, Idaho, Utah, Iowa, Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.

10/31/2011 at 2:43 PM

I notice they stuck to the more Northern areas, in general? But of my own New Amsterdam settlers, at least one family went from New Jersey to the Virginia frontier - Shenandoah Valley area, I believe, but I'll have to check - and ultimately to Texas.

Private User
10/31/2011 at 3:52 PM

http://books.google.com/books?id=GthAd5yLMjEC&lpg=PA73&ots=...

says on p 74 "In California, the Dutch settled in significant numbers in the towns of Redlands, Ontario, Ripon, and Bellflower."

Also, try Netherlands American Society of Southern California
http://www.nassocal.org/

Finally, my family's oral history says that when my great-great grandfather, James Hardy Allen, settled in Central California near the tiny town of Bradley, he and his family were among the first settlers in that area. There were so few children that they couldn't justify a school, so my grgrgrandfather began encouraging Dutch immigrants to come to the area to settle. Eventually there were enough families for a school, so Mr. Konekamp ( one of the Dutch settlers brought to the area by James Allen) donated land and a schoolhouse was built...

James Hardy Allen

I hope some of this helps!

Private User
10/31/2011 at 3:54 PM

Um, let's see, I forgot to say that many of the Dutch immigrants in Central California in the 19th and early 20th century farmed sugar beets very successfully. The sugar beets were a cheaper source of sugar than having to import sugar cane to California, and were also fed to beef cattle to "finish" them... there's a lot of stories about all of this on the net.

Private User
10/31/2011 at 3:56 PM

I'm not sure it would help with genealogy, but the website for the little Danish town of Solvang, California, should be interesting! http://www.solvangusa.com/

11/1/2011 at 4:07 AM

Hi jMu,
I have a lot of dutch ancestors, but am very new to genealogy. If there is anything I can help you with, I will.

11/1/2011 at 1:44 PM

Follow the railroads west....

11/1/2011 at 2:06 PM

Linda Kathleen Thompson, (c)

Do you have New Amsterdam ancestry? We have a project for that ...

http://www.geni.com/projects/New-Amsterdam

11/1/2011 at 2:24 PM

Yes, Erica Howton I have dutch ancestry. Van Ness is one of the family names. I think that Hoagland is also dutch. I will check to see if any meet the criteria for that project....

11/1/2011 at 11:22 PM

Hey Linda, perhaps these could be amongst them? Hendrick Gerritse Van Ness and Dirck Jansen Hoogland.
Both profiles still need connections to ancestors in Holland - but given the timeframe, it's tough!

11/3/2011 at 3:35 PM

George J. Homs Is it tough because of what time period they came to the USA?

11/3/2011 at 11:36 PM

Hey Linda. Well, look at van Ness. Brothers are mentioned for him on Geni - but it looks they weren't further researched. Also, this van Ness' grandfather looks like the 'dead end' - and the only records for him might be in notary archives (if at all). It would be worthwhile to see if there are any Dutch descendants of the brothers, because like that we may have other connected Geni users who'd be interested in exploring this further.
I think the same goes for the Hoogland's.
Now that these two families were brought up, I think I'd like to give it a go :-)

11/3/2011 at 11:50 PM

If I may add, I see the Van Ness and Wessels profiles mentioning a place called 'Emberland' - but I've never heard of such a thing in The Netherlands (but please correct me, anyone?).
In fact, given that the Wessels really came from 'Germany', van Ness may have come from Germany too - and perhaps the name refers to the city of Neuss rather than the Nes village on Ameland.
I'm just saying... perhaps these lines don't get any further because the original premise (and copied over and over from one Internet site to another) might be wrong.
I think this is true for many New Amsterdam profiles: the New Amsterdam Dutch 'dutchified' the names as they heard them - so there may be confusion about where some of them really came from. For so many, Holland was just a gateway to somewhere else :-)

Private User
11/4/2011 at 12:33 AM

for that reason I'm studying the geografical 'loop' of the Rhine, Waal, Maas, Lek and by taking a rowing boat I can even reach Swiss, where I have to learn biking and climbing, but in my family roots they have very good muscles.

11/4/2011 at 2:22 AM

Yeps, because Neuss in Germany is just about 40km from Cologne (where the Wessels came from), and they're both on the Rhine.

11/4/2011 at 3:24 AM

George J. Homs You are more than welcome to research them George. I am new to this and would love to learn from you how you do the research that is needed to go farther back. If you should find anything please share with me how you found the info......

Private User
11/14/2011 at 11:54 PM

Thanks Danny Franklin Drollinger for helping me getting all the abbreviations in this page. Next 'klus' will be to make a project-page for each of them with the main county's and then there are -we hope- people from there who can help us with naming the important city's. So still some work to do, but thanks to WIKI-PEDIA-workers who did the mean work for us before. So, applaus for wikipedia !

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion