Simon Cantharus (Boethus), Sadducee High Priest - Was Simon Cantherus Boethus' 3rd son?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Saturday, April 21, 2012
Showing all 7 posts
4/21/2012 at 12:01 PM

Most sources for the High priest Simon Cantharus follow Josephus in seeing him as the 3rd son of the High Priest, Boethus (whose title was as a result of Herod coveting his daughter)

Eg: "Simon Cantharus, third son of Simon Boethus, simple priest at the time of the trial of the biblical Jesus; was afterwards made high priest by King Herod Agrippa (42 A.D.), who, however, deposed him after a few months, (Jos., Ant., B. 19, 2, 4).http://www.giveshare.org/library/sanhedrin/1.3.html"

and Wikipedia lists for the House of Boethus:
*Simon, son of Boethus, or Boethus himself (24-5 BC)
*'Joazar, son of Boethus (4 BC and before 6 AD), unpopular and an advocate of compliance with the Roman census
*Eleazar, son of Boethus (4-3 BC)[7] independently attested in the Mandaean Sidra d-Yahia.
*'''Simon Cantheras, son of Boethus (41-42 AD)'''
*Elioneus, son of Simon Cantheras (43-44 AD)
*Joshua, son of Gamaliel (64 AD), whose wife Martha belonged to the house
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boethusians

But the Jewish Encyclopedia suggests there is some question as to whether they weren't two different houses altogether:

CANTHERAS Surname of Simon, the son of Boethus, the high priest, according to Josephus "Ant." xix. 6, §§ 2, 4; compare ib. 8, § 1, where Elioneus, son of Cantheras, is mentioned as having also been appointed high priest by King Agrippa (41-44). Abba Saul ben Baṭnit and Abba Jose ben Johanan of Jerusalem, contemporary leaders of the Ḥasidic party, however, regarded the house of Cantheras as a different one from the house of Boethus, when they both exclaimed: "Wo unto me from the house of Boethus; wo unto me from their club! Wo unto me from the house of Kadros [Cathros = Cantheras]; wo unto me from their pen!" (see Tosef., Men. xiii. 21; Pes. 57a), while Elioneus is mentioned in Parah iii. 5 as son of Joseph Caiaphas. Grätz ("Gesch. der Juden," 4th ed., iii. 739-746, and "Monatsschrift," 1881, pp. 97-112) blames Josephus for having confused the names; Schürer ("Gesch." 3d ed., ii. 218, notes 11, 14) accepts Josephus' information as correct (compare Derenbourg, "Histoire de la Palestine," pp. 215, 233).
http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/3984-cantheras
_______

Simon Cantherus is certainly SOME GENERATIONS LATER as High Priest (41-42CE) than the previous 2 sons of Boethus: Eleazar and Joazer - High Priest 4BC-2/3CE , I wonder if anyone else has information that might help to clarify here?

4/21/2012 at 3:49 PM

Sharon,
Maybe David Prins will have something to offer. I will include him in on this discussion.

4/22/2012 at 5:39 AM

Good idea

6/27/2012 at 1:53 AM

I've emailed you, Sveinung Almelid - thank you for the offer: "I can provide much info about the Boethus Dynasty upon request. Please contact me on"

Please delete the message above that has your email address in it - it makes me nervous to think of the spam you might get as a result :-)

6/27/2012 at 2:48 AM

Hi Sharon. I followed your advice and deleted the message containing my e-mail. You may later distribute info from me on the forum if you wish. I look forward to hearing from you. Have a nice day. Sveinung

6/27/2012 at 4:58 AM

:-)

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion