Add This Profile to the Locked Profiles Project

Started by Justin Durand on Sunday, July 29, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts
7/29/2012 at 10:46 AM

Add a message here if you find a profile you want to have add to (or removed from) the Locked Profiles project.

Private User
7/29/2012 at 2:54 PM

The following are locked. These are all in the same family and in the category of "empty profiles without sources":

Henrietta Levy

Blanche Rebecca May

Ernest Raphael May

Simon Ernst May

Minna Adler

Constance Esther Lesser

Ernest Lesser

Walter Marcus Adler

Myra Hannah Kisch

Sir Cecil Herman Kisch, KCIE, CB

7/29/2012 at 3:16 PM

David,

Done.

Private User
7/29/2012 at 7:43 PM

Most of the Biblical tree is locked, and in my opinion rightly so, since that tree is well developed, with sources and details, and additional profiles to merge provide zero benefit.

By way of example, http://www.geni.com/people/Abraham-%D7%90%D7%91%D7%A8%D7%94%D7%9D-%... could be added to this project - but please I suggest not the hundreds of other locked Biblical profiles - a few examples should suffice.

7/29/2012 at 8:21 PM

I think that tree should be out of scope for this project entirely.

Private User
7/29/2012 at 8:23 PM

Another example of locked MPs with purpose in my opinion

MaHaRaL of Prague - המהר״ל מפראג

and everything in sight around him. I recall asking the curator to lock profiles round here, after countless bad merges.

And if I may say so - an excellent welcoming curator's note on this profile.

7/29/2012 at 9:26 PM

I agree, a great Curator's Note, and one that should be on important historical figures that have thousands of descendants and in this case a lot of experts on the family who might contribute and many unknowns.

7/29/2012 at 10:00 PM

By inviting contact from users with queries, this Curator's Note removes the perception of a 'barrier' between them and busy curators. The apparent unavailability of curators has been reported to me on many an occasion. No more bad merges here, ask the curator.

7/30/2012 at 1:44 AM

Agreed David and Hatte. Exactly, Pam

Private User
7/30/2012 at 3:06 AM

Another set of justifiably locked profiles with the same excellent curator's note is at and all around

RASHI - רש״י

Same good reasons for locking as above

Private User
7/30/2012 at 3:09 AM

Ditto at and around Menachem Mendel Schneerson, The Lubavitcher Rebbe

Locked for good cause - and with the same curator's note

Airi Mina Schaefer
8/7/2012 at 11:24 AM
8/8/2012 at 10:46 AM

Barbara Jean Shepard these are not "curator" locked profiles - you would see a Master Profile designation om them if they were. Again, we're always happy to help out - but best posted to the discussion

http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793
Attention curators please assist

If you would be kind enough to cross post there for better investigation?

My thanks.

8/8/2012 at 10:52 AM

Airi Mina Schaefer thank you for the pointer to that discussion.

Private User
8/26/2012 at 11:22 AM
8/26/2012 at 12:21 PM

Done. I notice data conflicts need to be resolved on a couple of the profiles, which I leave to others more familiar with the family.

Private User
8/26/2012 at 12:45 PM

Thanks Erica - the data conflicts are not really conflicts.

On Betje Koekkoek the conflicts are on whether surname should be married or maiden name (on which there have been many discussions), and a minor naming of country difference.

On Abraham Barend Koekkoek it's simply whether the two names both go in the forename field. The issue here is really Geni's lack of support of patronymic naming.

Only a curator can resolve the conflicts.

8/26/2012 at 12:47 PM

As I'm not Dutch I would not presume.

Private User
8/26/2012 at 2:06 PM

Thanks Erica. I have sent a private message to the curator of the locked Koekkoek profiles to bring the data conflicts to his attention. As far as I know, he is also not Dutch, but is anyway very competent in this area.

Private User
8/26/2012 at 2:15 PM

The reasons David experienced for locking in the famous KOEKKOEK-painters-family are really ridiculous. In official digital archives of our Dutch administration everyone can find ---when using the right own birth-names, not that of partners ofcourse-- the whole KOEKKOEK family with all the different given surnames, birthdates and -places, professions, earlier partnersname in the context, etcetera. So here is a manager ruling who does NOT WANT interference, maybe caused by other interests. I am the manager of a lot Koekkoek-profiles, but some of the family-pages I could not access to even to add parents a/o children. It was only by merging with the help ot very distant relatives who where also forced to make duplicates to get it right. But what are the interests that are on the basics of these 'conflicts'? No one knows, for the key-holder is a champion in silence.... And after so many discussions about namesgiving everyone with Dutch feminine profiles in the pocket should know that we never ever allow woman to use her husbands names in official documents that are introduced to know about HER-self and HER origine and not about her partners-choise sometimes only for a marriage-liaisons of some short-life-time-period. And when there are no children of a partnership its even more strange to give such an argument for frustrating behaviour. Especially genealogists should understand that.... but yes, not all curatores are genealogists, but I am the last one to suggest that that argument will solve 'conflicts' with stubborn lonely planet-travellers.

8/26/2012 at 3:04 PM

If you need the KOEKKOEK family profiles unlocked to edit them, let the curator know by email.

That's what other people do. As you know, some curators put a note explaining why a profile was locked -- which is to prevent mis-merges most often -- and invite people to contact them if they need to make an edit.

Do you need to make an edit? Is something wrong? I could not tell from your post frankly. Is the wife's last name wrong, not according to Dutch custom? Is that your point?

Private User
8/27/2012 at 1:53 AM

Hello Hatte, good day to you too! At this very moment nothing is worthwile redaction, its only to underline what David experienced, although the locking person might be 'very competent in this area'. That is not enough to convince me of the benefits of his procedures-approach, you see?

8/27/2012 at 1:42 PM

I'm going to be very direct here -- locking protects profiles that are very often merged or edited incorrectly. I have no idea if that is/was the case here. I don't lock all profiles I curate, but I do lock those that I find a tangled mess and clean up and those that once they are cleaned up are quickly messed up again. These are our shared ancestors and it benefits all of us to have documented and correct MPs versus a bunch of spaghetti.

If a profile is locked and you have an edit that has a source behind it, just email the curator.

Now, more recent profiles are more problematic, but as far as historic profiles from the 1600s, 1700s, and even early 1800s go, locking of researched profiles is to benefit everyone, not the opposite.

Private User
8/27/2012 at 2:22 PM

yes, Hatte and others here, I really trust your answers and I see it is no way to discuss these things with honest and fair curators, for the ones it would be worthwile to have a discussion with are the silent ones, including the owners of this site. So lets close it here between us, for I do not intent to dust good discussions between curators. Negotiation and silence and no feedback is one of geni's problems, not yours as a volunteer. I and a lot of other users really appreciate all the work you do just for the credit to be part of some sort of a 'management-group' to build on a marvelous thing. I will continue to do my job here, by adding nice profiles, watching what happens with them afterwards and making all different kind of projects, so new users can have a nice start to get used on the geni-culture and if they ask for it, I will coach them trough this wilderness. Hope they stay aboard and are there when we can harvest for all that precious time and attention we invested in the content of this non-transparant company..... Have a nice day or what times might be yours, here its sleeping time, groet, jeannette.

8/27/2012 at 2:32 PM

Goodnight Jeannette.

Private User
10/19/2012 at 5:07 AM

Private User thanks for you email about the fault in this profile. It is sent to the curator too i can see, but he has the habit of no reaction, maybe worthwile to remember in this context too.

10/19/2012 at 7:36 AM

Private User,

Just report the Curator to GENI !!

They are Users like you and I -- nothing more :)

10/20/2012 at 3:59 AM

Private User, impossible to say anything without knowing the name of the curator, but are you sure he/she is active at the moment? Curators are just ordinary people, with real-life events of all sorts including severe illnesses, travels and holidays. If you contact an active curator privately (I agree with not posting complaints about named people publicy), it's possible that he/she can help you with the issue - curators are able to override each others' actions when there's a good reason for it.

Private User
10/20/2012 at 4:51 AM

My experience is that it is very easy to miss a message, us curators get a lot of them on a daily base.
Maybe try one more time , also when you send additional info it might be a good idea to send the source of the information too, I often get additional information send that I need to check out for myself first before making any changes and will find out the information might not be correct after all this takes me ages then and sometimes I forget to get back to the person who send me the information in a timely matter, I admit.
I have no idea where this particular case is about but I would say try to contact the person one more time.

Private User
10/20/2012 at 5:06 AM

Private User and Private User if you want you can forward me the messages that you got no reply to and I will try and sort the issue out.

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion