8/28/2012 at 5:05 AM

Birth Date 854
Birth Location Nord-Trøndelag, Norway
Death Date 927

8/28/2012 at 8:05 AM

This is wrong and a wide-spread internet virus error -

"Maer" or Møre is NOT in Trøndelag county. Mœra

8/28/2012 at 8:11 AM

The swedish history professor tells that Gangr-Hrolfr died 931 and that his gravestone are in a chappel of the Rouen Cathedral. I myself have not made any special research about Gånge-Rolf.
Greatings from Nyköping , Sweden
Hans Nordlund

8/28/2012 at 8:53 AM

Thank you for that, Hans.
Greetings from South Africa, cousin

8/28/2012 at 3:09 PM

Møre is in fact the county to the southwest of Trøndelag. The division between north and south Trøndelag is of course from a much later date.

The sources that tell of Gange-Rolv (and identify him with Rollo) are more than a little confusing; it's entirely possible that the line that people ascribe to them is not in fact true; another set of histories claim that he was a noble's son from Denmark.

Danish and Norwegian historians have been fighting over him for centuries!

8/28/2012 at 3:15 PM

The genetic testing foundation that's trying to research him is here:
http://www.explicofund.org/

Expedition still fighting French bureaucracy.....

Private User
8/28/2012 at 7:35 PM

Do we have a photograph of his grave?

Apparently my ancestors the Kerr's can trace their lineage back to him.

I hope its true.

Private User
9/3/2012 at 9:09 AM

Here is a photo of Rollo's grave (from wikipedia)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Grave_of_Rollo_o...

9/3/2012 at 10:00 AM

:-)

11/19/2012 at 2:03 AM

Birth Date 846 c. OR 846
Death Date c. 932 OR c. 931

11/19/2012 at 3:58 AM

The number on his gravestone is CMXXXIII, which translates to 933 (unless there's another character hiding behind the banister).
The Wikipedia article says that he "certainly died before 933".
"ca 931" seems reasonable for a death date.
I suspect that we'll never know his birth year.

11/20/2012 at 4:00 AM

Thanks Harald - I think I'm just going to put that in a Curator Note on his profile, and not log anymore alternatives to those dates here - as there is no one answer.

11/20/2012 at 4:13 AM

Which note makes me the default Curator. This profile, though - has a couple of Curators working on it who are good scholars in this area - and needs quite regular curatorship to keep it 'clean' - so please, guys, take it over as the need arises.

11/26/2012 at 1:27 AM

This Discussion is intended as a Log of the Data elided/ deleted at the stage of resolving Data Conflicts on this profile.

I have already resolved the Data Conflict, and am simply making sure that all the managers involved in that merge, know what data of theirs was removed.

I am doing this as a courtesy, against the possibility that the profile’s managers may want to be alerted to the opportunity to engage with the data choices. (Sending a private message means there is no record for any future managers of the profile - of which we hope there will be many.)

It is not a query, and it does not require a comment, unless you disagree with the way the Data Conflict was resolved, or you want to add useful info about the data at stake – that you think others can benefit from when resolving Data Conflicts on that profile in the future.

Further info and FAQ can be found here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/115121?msg=832711

Surname Ragnvaldsson de Normandie; Duke of Normandy
Birth Surname Ragnvaldsson
Birth Date c. 860; 860; 846
Death Date c. 932; 932; 931

12/13/2012 at 4:21 AM

Hello! You are aware of that you can now mark a date as before, after, ca or accurate? So why not mark his death as before 933.
That would be in my view far more accurate than just ca 931 or 932..
(There is only the date on the grave that can be documented)

12/13/2012 at 6:08 AM

I've done so for Rollo. Not sure what to do about his birth date - it's probably before 865, given that he was a leader of Vikings in 885, and after 833, given that he's unlikely to have achieved more than 100 years of life, but I don't see much to choose between those points.

12/13/2012 at 8:08 AM

Thanks Harald!

Looks much better now (died between 927 and 933), but is 927 the last date he is mentioned or is that just a guess?

As I see it the documentation tells us that he was born before 885.
And most probably before 865. So I would have used "Before ca 865" or "Before 885"....

12/13/2012 at 8:26 AM

David, wikipedia says he handed power to his son in 927 (but not because he died), so it's reasonable to assume that he was alive at that time.

12/13/2012 at 8:28 AM

Ok, sounds good ;)

12/14/2012 at 1:59 AM

Thanks for tweaking the data guys - and for using the before/after date feature GLORY HALLELUJAH!

Is everybody good if we lock that field and ask for discussion here if someone wants it re-opened?

12/14/2012 at 4:30 AM

Forename Gangu-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Gångerolf OR Rollo Von Langschwert Rognvadsson

Birth Location Fauske, Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway OR Mer, Route de la Mer, Biville-la-Baignarde, Haute-Normandie, France

Death Location Rouen, Seine-Maritime, Haute-Normandie, France OR Normandy, Plouigneau, Bretagne, France

12/14/2012 at 5:35 AM

Sharon, he went by all these names, and more, in different sources, different languages, and different traditions. Aside from all the people who can't spell.
"Von Langschwert" is probably someone writing in German who imagined the nickname for his son "Langaspjot" (long spear) was a family name.
"Mer" is the junk that the Geni auto-place-completion (or some other similarly useless "helper" function) fills in when a Frenchman wants to claim that he was born at sea. That, and people born in Y, Somme, Picardie, France, is data I delete without asking.

12/15/2012 at 4:36 AM

Gangu-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson de Normandie is my 29th great grandfather!

12/17/2012 at 2:22 AM

Langschwert - as a language specific nickname translation makes sense.

Mer - at sea - that's something I didn't know. Interesting.

Hello cousin Eero Matias Setälä

Gange-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson - and he is my 29th gr.grandfather

Private User
9/13/2013 at 9:06 AM

@Gange-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson is my 30th grt grandfather Judy Rice

Private User
9/13/2013 at 3:14 PM

@ Gangu-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson de Normandie is your 32nd great grandfather

9/13/2013 at 5:21 PM

Please, people, stop writing messages about your relationship to Gange-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson

We are trying to hold a discussion here based on facts and what the different sources write/say about him and his close family, and messages about your relationship to him is just cluttering up the discussion.

I have changed his nickename from Gangu to Gange which is a more correct nordic spelling, I have also removed Mærejarl from his suffix, since it was his father that was the Jarl (Earl) of Møre (it's spelled Møre), and not Hrolf.

9/13/2013 at 6:42 PM

We should look at the primary sources that first mention him by this name.

The Orkneyinga Saga (about 1230) calls him Göngu-Hrolf.

The Historia Norwegie (before 1220) calls him Gongurolfr.

John Smith
9/13/2013 at 11:29 PM

Yay Remi!!!
Finally, another voice speaking out against the posting of geni-links.
And then Justin finally chimes in with Useful Facts.
Ah, Geni, there is hope for you yet (I hope).

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion