Waltheof, 1st Earl of Northumbria - Record of Alternative Data After Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, November 8, 2012
Showing all 8 posts
11/8/2012 at 12:43 AM

Birth Location Scotland OR Northumberland, England
Death Location St. Giles Hill,, Winchestershire, UK OR Winchester, Hampshire, England

11/9/2012 at 8:30 AM

This profile could use some light editing.

It's usual to distinguish between Northumbria and Northumberland. Northumbria is the old Saxon kingdom (later province). Northumberland is the later English county.

The older peerage books start calling it Northumberland from time of the Conquest. They also start all numbering from the Conquest.

It's normal now to call it Northumbria until Henry Percy was created Earl of Northumberland in 1377.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Northumbria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Northumberland

So, there is a confusion of conventions. Waltheof was the not the 1st Earl of Northumbria. He was either (1) one of the earls of Northumbria, the last Saxon earl, and the first of the earls to hold it under the Norman kings, or (2) 1st Earl of Northumberland (not Northumbria).

His name and titles should be (I think): Waltheof, Earl of Northumbria and Huntingdon (1065), and Earl of Northampton (1st, created 1072).

Also, while we're editing, I think it would be clearer to say he was born in England rather than Scotland. Always problematic to make an assertion about where someone was born if we don't even know when. But, if you follow the philosophy that he was born within his father's territories, it makes more sense to say he was born in Northumbria, the Anglo-Saxon province -- so, England.

11/9/2012 at 11:11 PM

Thanks for the careful research, Justin Durand I learned from the time you took to explain. Please check that you're happy with the profile updates I made - and change any oversights.

11/10/2012 at 6:58 AM

Looks good.

11/10/2012 at 7:46 AM

:-)

1/16/2013 at 2:05 AM

In response to Reg's point here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/117041?msg=843537 - which reads "St. Giles Hill,, Winchestershire, UK
Please note there has never been a county called "Winchestershire" and the "UK" did not happen for another 625 years.
I expect that this entry has been mis-typed and should read - St. Giles Hill, Winchester, Hampshire, England."

I've changed the Death location to fit.

@Victar & @Jenna - the other Curators who work on this profile, might want to check they're happy with this too.

1/16/2013 at 8:01 AM

While we're looking at him, let's look also at his title. I think would should simplify his display name to "Waltheof, Earl of Northumbria", dropping "Huntingdon and Northampton". This is the solution typically adopted by encyclopedists.

Huntington and Northamptonshire were the two halves of the Anglo-Saxon earldom of Northumbia, which was a truncated successor of the old Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Northumbria.

Waltheof's father was Earl of Northumbria. Waltheof himself was appointed earl of Huntingdon and Northamptonshire (that is, of Northumbria) in 1065, before the Norman conquest. He retained his holdings at the Conquest, but later rebelled. He was restored in 1072, being created 1st Earl of Northumberland.

So, we have three names for the same earldom -- Northumbria, Huntingdon and Northamptonshire, and Northumberland. If you read any of the secondary sources closely, you'll see how they handle this sequence in different ways without ever being explicit.

1/16/2013 at 10:25 AM

Done! Thank you

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion