Pepin II d'Héristal, Mayor of the Palace of Austrasia - Record of Alternative Data After Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Saturday, January 5, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
1/5/2013 at 2:21 AM

This Discussion is intended as a Log of the Data elided/ deleted at the stage of resolving Data Conflicts on this profile.

I have already resolved the Data Conflict, and am simply making sure that all the managers involved in that merge, know what data of theirs was removed.

I am doing this as a courtesy, against the possibility that the profile’s managers may want to be alerted to the opportunity to engage with the data choices. (Sending a private message means there is no record for any future managers of the profile - of which we hope there will be many.)

It is not a query, and it does not require a comment, unless you disagree with the way the Data Conflict was resolved, or you want to add useful info about the data at stake – that you think others can benefit from when resolving Data Conflicts on that profile in the future.

1/5/2013 at 2:22 AM

Forename Pépin ll OR Pepin (Pippin) II "The Fat" of Herstal
Death Date 12/16/714 OR 11/15/714
Death Location Junille, Meuse, Lorraine, France OR Liege, Liege, Walloon Region, Belgium

1/5/2013 at 11:20 AM

He died at Jupille-sur-Meuse in modern Belgium, not Junille in Lorraine.

Pépin, Pepin, Pippin, Pipin, Peppin are all legitimate spelling variations. French Wikipedia uses Pépin. Geni seems to use both Pépin and Pepin indiscriminately. Even on this profile, there are different versions in the First Name and Display Name fields.

Héristal is now spelled Herstal (no accent, no i). I don't think we've ever discussed what to do when the modern place name has a different spelling. Happens all the time, not just here.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herstal

1/6/2013 at 1:39 AM

I like the original form, where possible. (We've had this discussion on the SA tree, where places have been re-named with political changes)

Will change and lock birth place

1/6/2013 at 1:53 AM

I mean death place!

You don't like the different spelling versions to be evident on the same profiles? To me, it's another problem of profiles 'accruing' data at merges, and people not knowing whose toes will be stepped on by standardising - so erring on the side of caution.

Off the top of my head, when it comes to naming, I'd say rule of thumb: - Display name: modern English (if it it is well-known in the English speaking world - English being default world-language)
- Naming Fields - as close to original as possible.

In the case of accents - I tend to assume they're left off because someone didn't have the time to cut and paste; and so if I do have the time - I replace them.

1/14/2014 at 7:33 PM

hello

1/25/2015 at 10:17 PM

Discussion on Burial Place: Saint-Arnoul, Metz, France OR Liège, Liege, Walloon Region, Belgium is here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/144745?msg=997378

Private User said:
=It should be Liege, in Belgium.
"Pépin II de Herstal, dit Pépin d'Héristal, Pépin le Gros ou encore Pépin le Jeune1 (né vers 645 - mort le 16 décembre 714 à Jupille-sur-Meuse), est maire du palais d'Austrasie. Il est le fils d'Ansegisel (lui-même fils d'Arnoul de Metz), et de Begge d'Andenne, fille de Pépin Ier Le Vieux."
Louis the Pious could be the only one that was burried in Saint-Arnoul, Metz because it was the burial place for the woman in the Carolingian dynasty.
http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/medi_0751-27... =

Sharon Doubell -
=Thanks for that Ulf. I don't read French, but what you say sounds valid. I'll change it. I appreciate your response.
The Find-A-Grave source for his burial place that is presently on GEni, seems to be for Charles Martel, not Pepin - unless I'm missing something. I've removed it. =

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion