Find and share your most distant patrilineal great grandfather.

Started by John Smith on Thursday, December 19, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 67 posts
12/19/2013 at 10:57 AM

Thank you for the plug for the http://www.geni.com/projects/Shopkeepers/16772 project.

I've worked on hundreds of projects on Geni and this is one of the few I've been able to add "nearer time" ancestors to.

I won't be able to do a "straight up" patrilineal line; my tree is more like a Z shape in tracking backwards in time, switching off the train tracks from father to mother based on what records have been found.

So I'll start my own trail back with Oregon Pioneer, blacksmith and farmer, Johnson Monroe Willard

12/19/2013 at 11:28 AM

My earliest patrilineal ancestor may be Ridley Pinder 1839-1888ish. He was born in Spanish Wells, The Bahamas. I cannot find any documentation on him in The Bahamas, though. He moved to Key West, FL at age 18 and started a family there. As far as I know, he never saw his family again. DNA testing has identified that his descendants are genetically Barneses, though, not Pinders, so there was a non-paternal event somewhere along the line. It is yet unknown whether the non-paternal event occurred in a generation before Ridley or after him. However, if he was the product of an affair or if he usurped someone's identity, that would certainly explain both the Barnes genetics and why he left The Bahamas never to return.

12/19/2013 at 12:10 PM

So in pursuing this line (my great grandmother's paternal ancestry), we brick wall at Samuel Woolard

Born about 1623 somewhere in England & who was transported to the Northern Neck of Virginia by the Quaker entrepreneur Gervase Dodson, Surveyor

Which supposes some sort of acquaintship (or more) between the families. The Northern Neck was not Quaker friendly however, and there's no indication my Woolard ancestor (or descendants) was a Friend.

12/19/2013 at 12:14 PM

I haven't been up that line in a while...... I can't say that it is all correct, but according to Geni my most distant known patrilineal great grandfather is William Paynel, Sheriff of Lincolnshire. He is my 25th great grandfather.

William Paynel, Sheriff of Lincolnshire

12/19/2013 at 12:25 PM

Linda - Geni says he's my 28th great grandfather

http://www.geni.com/path/Erica+Isabel+Howton+c+is+related+to+Willia...

See this is what I like about Geni - discovering new ancestors.

It's not my period of history but he looks to have come over from Normandy with William the Conqueror?

12/19/2013 at 12:42 PM

I love sharing him with you, Erica! lol

12/19/2013 at 12:49 PM

Erica,
Gervase Dodson, Surveyor is my first cousin 8 times removed's husband's great grandfather. (It's so nice that Geni can tell me that at a push of a button!)

W,
Alphonsus de Vere, comte de Guînes is my 25th great grandfather.

12/19/2013 at 12:53 PM

Erica,
Your line to William Paynel looks more interesting than mine. There are some de Bruce in yours.
Robert de Bruce, 6th Lord of Annandale

12/19/2013 at 1:37 PM

Erin Ishimoticha

What sort of person was your Pinder / Barnes of the Bahamas?

Private User
12/19/2013 at 2:10 PM

The furthest back I have been able to confirm on my patrilineal is my 2x great grandfather John Newman John Neumann > Newman, who I believe was from Posen, Germany born in 1838 and came to the US in the early 1860's. I have parents names from his NYC death certificate, but have no been able to verify them in any records as yet. While he and my 2x ggm married in NYC circa 1867 I have yet to find their marriage record (if it even exists).

I do not know if we are related to royalty or anyone notable on this line, but given that we are Jewish and I'm fairly confident we are Jewish going pretty far back (y dna is Q-L245) it's doubtful.

If anyone has suggestions for research I"m all ears.

12/19/2013 at 2:15 PM

Wendi your John Neumann is notable to me! What courage to come to a new country and start a new life. Do you know (or suspect) why?

Private User
12/19/2013 at 2:29 PM

Erica Howton Thank you; that's very kind of you to say.

I do not know exactly why, but my guess would be the increasing restrictions placed on Jews in Germany/Poland/Prussia during that time period.

From what I have pieced together, the family of my 2x ggm came to the US independently of my 2x ggf and John and Rosa Nathan Newman John Newman met in NYC.

I believe he had a sister named Charlotte or Lottie who married in NYC in 1870. However, it's possible she was a cousin. She lived with John and Rosa on the 1870 census.

It took quite awhile, but over several months a put together pieces of the puzzle of which there are still many missing.

I did however discover that they lived right near the Brooklyn Bridge while it was being built. Now that's one helk of a NYC view to see out your window each day!

Private User
12/19/2013 at 2:30 PM

oops! This is Rosa Rosa Newman

12/19/2013 at 2:52 PM

Don't really know what you mean by "what sort of person." Presumably caucasian since listed as "W" on censuses, occupation listed as "seaman" on his immigration record but listed as "painter" on all censuses. I have no idea if he was naturalized. I can find no record of his death. Is that what you meant? I have absolutely no record of his life in The Bahamas except for his immigration passenger list and that of his wife and her son by her previous marriage. It's possible he was a terrible person and changed his identity to a common one (Ridley Pinder was a name used by at least 6 different men during my Ridley's lifetime) and that he immigrated to get away from baggage or trouble in The Bahamas.

12/19/2013 at 3:22 PM

You've already found out a lot. He traveled when younger but stayed put and settled down with a family later on. The name he used - which may have been the only name he knew to use - was a frequently occurring one. And he was willing to support a previously married woman and her child? I'm not getting a picture of a "terrible person."

12/19/2013 at 3:27 PM

Well, the son from the previous marriage who came with her to Key West was 20 when they were married. A younger child didn't come with her. I have the first husband as having passed away in 1862. I don't know where the younger child went. I have him passing away in 1940, was he left behind by his mother?

12/19/2013 at 4:06 PM

My earliest paternal ancestor is my 21st great grandfather Conrad Hauri. He was a peasant at Steffisburg, Switzerland, probably born about 1255. His son settled at Beromünster, then in later generations his descendants were Untervogts of Reinach, then one descendant went to Colonial Pennsylvania in the 18th century. That's a lot of generations to trust paper records, but I have a yDNA match to the Lehmanns, a Mennonite family that also originated in Steffisburg.

There's a family story that the Hauris are descended from the Counts of Habsburg. Myth and legend take that line in many different directions, but I jump ship at Conrad Hauri.

Just for fun, I'll add that my pronominal line (the family from which I take my surname -- different from my paternal line) goes back to Jonas Svanström, a Swedish solider born in 1754. Some people think his male line might go back through a family of priests to Thorerus Caroli, a farmer born about 1580. I'm open to the evidence, but so far I'm skeptical.

12/19/2013 at 5:12 PM

John Smith,

I listed my Patrilineal ggf prior to that message. We was William Paynel, Sherrff of Lincolnshire.

This is my pathway to your Patrilineal ggf.

http://www.geni.com/path/Linda+Kathleen+Thompson+c+is+related+to+Al...

12/19/2013 at 5:36 PM

Menachem Nachum Reib is the earliest patrilineal ancestor and my only evidence for him comes from my great grandfather's gravestone. I am hoping someday to have records from Ukraine (or possibly Lithuania) as well as proven DNA cousins. My father's first cousin (male) just sent in him Y-DNA test and we are very excitedly awaiting the results. My second cousin on that line and my sister and I just found a large shared segment with a descendant of the only other Reib (Reiben, Ruben) family we are aware of, from Zagare (also Reebs from Vecksniai), Siauliai, Lithuania which is very far from Ukraine. My great grandparents settled in Muscatine, Iowa in 1885 with people from Zagare and I thought that that's where they were from and figured they were related to those Reib/Reebs but their immigration and passport records say Belogorodka, Volhynia, Ukraine and indeed we have DNA matches from people from Belogorodka.

12/19/2013 at 5:46 PM

John Smith,

lol

I try to multi-task all the time, and get in trouble for it sometimes, too.

12/19/2013 at 6:11 PM

John Smith,

Just for fun, I checked out how your patrilineal ancestor is related to my patrilineal ancestor.

http://www.geni.com/path/William+Paynel+Sheriff+of+Lincolnshire+is+...

Private User
12/19/2013 at 7:24 PM

Alphonsus de Vere, comte de Guînes is my 27th Great Grandfather according to the path that was shown to me by geni. It is very incredible what you can find out about his website. Finding out about new relatives you never knew you had until recently, and being able to trace your ancestry back for centuries, even in some cases, all the way back to Adam. It's great to discover new information.

Private User
12/19/2013 at 7:28 PM

Adam / אדם / آدم . is my 74th great grandfather.

Private User
12/19/2013 at 9:12 PM

the farthest I can trace in the patrilineal line so far, is only to my great grandfather, who was born in the late 1800s. Silverio Rodriguez (1891-1972) was his name. His son, Frank Rodriguez (1918-1947), my grandfather, died when my father, David Morgan, was a year and a half. My grandmother ended up remarrying to someone named Andrew Morgan five years later, when my father was 7, so he and his older brother were adopted. So that is why there is a difference of surnames between my grandfather and father.

Private User
12/19/2013 at 10:34 PM

I've thought about it. However, it is sometimes difficult to find records about them. A professional could do it, but it can be too expensive. That is an interesting idea though.

Private User
12/20/2013 at 1:31 AM

I heard that the name was Spanish for the English name, Sylvester. He was born in Mexico, some sources say yahualica, Jalisco, Mexico and some say he was born in Arandas, Jalisco, Mexico. According to records he lived in Purísima del Rincon, Guanajuato. Not sure when he moved to California. According to the SSDI (Social Security Death Index) his last place of residence was in Los Angeles, California. However, when doing research on ancestry.com, there were a few cousins of mine who say he died in Fresno, California. So there is a lot of mixed information about all this but it gives an idea about what this was all about.

12/20/2013 at 2:56 PM

I had never gone through the patrilineal path before, but I knew exactly where mine would end. Mine is my 9th great grandfather Thomas Howerton (circa 1640 - before 1700) who came to this country in 1663 from England with his brother John. After years of research it has never been determined what part of England the brothers came from. There has been speculation that they came from Shropshire where there were some records found with the actual spelling of our last name. There are many name spelling variations that have also been suspected.

Private User
12/20/2013 at 4:04 PM

Yes, sometimes there are different spelling variations of last names. Happens with most records. When I was doing research on the surname Valades, which is how my family up to my grandparents and great grandparents spelt it, sometimes it was spelled out as Valadez. Some records even show it as Balades, or Baladez. In Spanish the V can have a B sound to it, but I use the V sound. I usually use Valades when sharing information about it or whatever.

12/20/2013 at 4:15 PM

Hi David

Thanks for your posting.

Thomas Howerton, of Essex, Virginia - I've made him a Master Profile for you, if that's OK.

I didn't know your guy is thought to have been from Shropshire. We speculated before that "Howton" and "Howerton" could have common origins - and decided it was unlikely, even though the names have a common root ("town on a hill") and similar misspellings ... And Mis pronunciations ...

"Howton" is thought to have come from London and the north of England before that. Did your family stay in the Virginia / West Virginia area? (mine didn't - they followed the Shenandoah Trail ...)

12/20/2013 at 4:17 PM

David, I always notice when I see your surname anywhere, because it's vaguely similar to Howery. I've followed the search for Thomas and John on and off over the years. Always hoping you guys are able to make the connection someday.

Showing 1-30 of 67 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion