Curators: My profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Mike Stangel on Friday, November 7, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 301-330 of 1359 posts

Martin Andreas Karl (Dries) Potgieter,

I think i've seen some living people becoming a master profile when it was needed to prevent bad merges or some sort of attack. If that's the case you should probably say that.

I know of only one other reason when somebody's profile becomes MP, and that is when somebody is notable and is likely to be searched by people. I don't remember where i read that, but somebody said that Geni uses the same "notability" specs as Wikipedia, so if you have a Wikipedia page, you should also mention that.

In either case, and don't take it a wrong way (it's constructive, not "looking down" criticism), your profile looks a little empty. There's no about, you have only 3 automatically added things in chronology. Maybe you could write a little bit about yourself if you wish to have a Master Profile q;-)= But i'm not a curator, just a passer by.

I have been considering putting in a little extra work to get my great uncle to have an MP, he's a rather well known academic in Russia. But i'm taking it slow, i want to get all the information correct first.

Thanks Volodya, I am glad the Russians have not heard about me and Koos van der Merwe.

I'm pretty sure a 'claimed' profile (a Geni member) can't be made into a Master Profile.

There have been a couple of instances (I think I recall) where a "notable" is also a Geni member. In those situations, they have their own small "living family" branch (kept private), while their public "MP" profile is separate with the connections into the World Family Tree.

Wait, that makes no sense at all. That means that there are two different rules, one for "notable" and another for everybody else.

What happens when a member of a "notable" wants to join? Do they have to chose to claim a real tree profile or a fake tree profile?

I thought that the whole point of Geni was to build "one big tree".

Or was this a "can't" as in "this is a technical issue that hasn't been resolved yet"?

The main technical issue with a Geni member's profile being a Master Profile is that they can't choose to make it private.

That's why those few (who are interested in doing so) add their private, personal family separately ... so they can keep it private. At some distant future (when those persons directly connected are deceased), then they can be merged (so the branch looks "clean" to the descendants).

More often, it is simpler for another family member to "manage" that branch, and the 'notable' person doesn't attempt to "claim" their MP profile.

Agree with Volodya - that is definitely an example of Geni failing to be consistent.
Moreover, I would say it definitively proves that the Goal of one World Tree is absolutely NOT Primary with Geni.

User profiles cannot be Master Profiles, - but they can act more or less as Master Profiles by changing their own profile more public, especially the About Me in https://www.geni.com/account_settings/profile_privacy

We have several "notable" Geni members doing that, and the only limitation would be that regular users cannot edit their profile, except family if opened up for that (which is another setting in https://www.geni.com/account_settings/permissions).

Even if you are a notable person you should have som rights to privacy, and especially your family, so living spouses and children should not be marked as public master profiles unless they are very public people them self.

After a bit of thought i do see what the problem is. You have a notable person, people want an MP, but that notable person wishes to share one's newborn child photos with the family. There is a conflict of interests.

Of course, if somebody is a public figure it doesn't mean that their entire life is subject to a public eye, we are not yellow press, we are family tree researchers (in the loose sense of the term researcher).

Now i would suggest the following solution to the problem: unmergeable private profile for an MP. So when somebody goes to MP, they see a link to that private profile (if it chose to make oneself visible at all). However, i realise that there are many things to work on currently within this site, so in MoSCoW, this is a C or even a W (a software developer should understand what i just said).

Please consider these profiles for MP status

John William Anglin

Clarence Anglin

Thank You,
Christopher

Private User,

Done. John William Anglin has conflicting data. Can you please clear it out.

Svein Arne Jansen,

Done. Can you please clear out the remaining data conflict.

Please consider this profile for an MP

Frank Lee Morris

Thank You
Christopher

master profile and lock.

http://www.geni.com/people/Lazare-de-Béthanie/6000000036669307299

est pas Lazarus of Magdala IS not brother of St. Mary Magdalene

je vais surment me faire bouder quelques jours de la pars de certain curateur!

May I have this profile become an MP, as I have placed a great effort into the research, and I am asking that the fields I have already filled in, be locked.

Clara, mother of Franklin Lee Morris

Thank You,
hristopher

I was very surprised to find that Jeffrey Glenn Miller not only wasn't a Master Profile, but actually didn't exist on Geni at all. I've resolved the latter. Could you please resolve the former now?

Please kindly accept Peter Ivanovich Gavrilenko in the ranks of Master Profiles. He has a rather filled out family tree, chronology, and i believe i would not feel embarrassed to show this profile to others.

The profile of Lev Nikolaevich Zinkovsky is now too ready to be revealed to the world. Please keep in mind that although he is commonly called Zadov, he changed his name, and in fact even his children's last names were Zinkovkiy and Zinkovskaya (feminie version).

Volodya Mozhenkov, thank you for adding Jeffrey Glenn Miller to the tree. In order to make him a Master Profile, I'd like to fill in some information gaps (like his definite birthplace), and then I'll make it an MP. Thanks for your help!

Private User

The great escape artist & his reform school mother have been MP'd. I did some format cleanup. You have a knack for making biography intriguing. Thank you.

Thank You Erica Howton and Kevin Hanit

Please consider this profile for MP status.

Donald Martin Anderson

Thanks

All set, Patricia Ann Scoggin. :)

Thanks, Ashley

Andrew,

Interesting group. My dad is buried in the same cemetery as Charles. All done.

Martin RhNegativ

This profile needs a lot of work

Lazare de Béthanie

i agree Angus it need alot of work and acuracy to work on
there alot of (mis) desinformation and false writing but he is not lazzare of magdelana
one point here i try to explain fast is Grégoire le Grand https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%A9goire_Ier

have remixed the bible by rewrinting it
((off topic a bit) he made few Marie into only one
if geni accept to add evry historical and myth. and fiction geni have to respect evry story to add them to the tree acording to the writing

thank you Angus

Geni accepts mythological figures?

yep Volodya not only mythological figures including characters also fictional one ..and fake genealogy too but its another discution

Dear Curators,

Would you please have a look at these profiles and consider them for Master Profiles?

Thank you,

Jamey Lopez

Nancy Smith

Jourdan Anderson Smith

Jordan Cutchentubby Smith

Ellen Smith

Thomas Jefferson Chapman

Susan Anderson Chapman

Showing 301-330 of 1359 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion