Appropriate symbols for the shoah (holocaust)

Started by Richard (Rick) Gary Simon on Thursday, February 5, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 138 posts
2/5/2015 at 4:09 PM

To ALL - I have had for the last 3 weeks an ongoing issue with GENI management. The issue revolves around my placing an image where there is NO photo on those profiles that in in my family tree (per GENI's drop-down menu). The symbol is the yellow Mogen Dovid (Star of David) on a black background with the word "Jude" written across the face.

GENI has taken away my right & privilege to do ANY editing and this is my response to them. I sincerely hope ALL will join in this conversation. I welcome ALL input for an open and frank discussion. .......

My response - -
I have waited to respond in order to NOT do what you have done to me - which is to accuse, indict and convict me, all in one action. From Jan 15 through Jan 18, I received a TOTAL of 6 messages through the GENI system. They were from as follows:
1) David Prins on 01/15/15 -> he explained
a) discussion sometime ago that this image for holocaust victims was thought to be "inappropriate" & too personal
b) Victims of the shoah (holocaust) were forced to wear this symbol
c) I should only do this to "close family"
d) I did this for profiles I did NOT manage
2) Dimitri Gazan on 01/15/15 -> asked me if I was the one that uplaoded the picture (gave NO other comment or complaint !!!
3) Pam Karp on 01/15/15 ->
a) advised me "I have just had a message from a very upset manager of this profile because of the distasteful photo
placed in the profile"
b) advised me I should always contact the manager of a profile 1st before adding an image to a profile
4) willem marinus noordanu from 01/14/15 - 01/19/15
we exchanged 6 messages thru the GENI system and there seemed to be NO issues, as he asked for my direct email address in order
to send me photos of different family member to upload into GENI.
5) 01/17 or 01/18 GENI restricted my edit ability WITH ZERO EXPLANATION !!!!!
6) 01/18/15 I sent my 1st message concerning my loss of editing, followed by 2 MORE messages before I received ANY
response !!!
7) On 01/22 I received a 2nd note from Pam Karp with 4 "points" she wished to make, at LEAST ONE of which was
grossly inaccurate. 01/22/15 which was 4 DAYS LATER, that I finally got an answer as to why my editing ability was
removed !!!!
In Pam Karp's note of 01/22 her points were (I will quote)
a) "Many users have sent you messages requesting that you STOP adding the yellow stars into profiles that you do not manage on the Dutch tree." There were ONLY 2 notes that asked me to stop and NONE of them were of managers of the profiles - but BOTH are Curators. I received ZERO message from ANY manager that asked me to remove the image - and IF they thought enough of the issue to have contacted me directly - I would have been happy to respond positively to their request.
b) "These users are very upset at your choice of image." NOT ONE user OTHER than the 2 curators EVER contacted me.
c) "David Prins sent a long and explicit letter to your Geni mailbox, however none of us, me included, have had the courtesy of acknowledgement to our messages. " REALLY NICELY COMMUNICATED” .... Between the 1st communication from David Prins to the time I received the notice of the suspension of my editing privileges - a grand total of 3 days and 2 hours elapsed ... THERE WAS NEVER ANY INDICATION that a response was needed. !!!!!!!!!!
d) lastly - "Mike Stangel approved suspending your edit permissions which seemed the only way to effectively stop you adding the offensive and inappropriate photo. You will need to go through the normal channels at Geni Help to have your permissions restored. So far ONLY Pam and David have voiced any objection TO ME about these images - and very frankly, your opinion is NOT anymore valuable than MINE !!!!

Now as to what really transpired and why - - -

The what - part 1
MUCH of my wife's extended / distant family was lost in the shoah. My wife's father escaped from Germany to England on one of the last "kindertransports" in June, 1939. In Oct / Nov, 2011, I joined my wife as she was invited by the community of Lichtenfels, Germany, to help re-dedicate her father’s synagogue into a NEW, all purpose community center, after having been laying waste for over 60 years !!! (Today in Lichtenfels - a town of 20,300 people, there are NO Jews, even though before 1933, 20-25% of the population of the town was Jewish !!!). We knew of some of the losses from the shoah within the family and we visited 4 cemeteries in the area to further document family locations IF they could be found. This was a tremendously galvanizing experience for us both and truly helped us put into a modern context our place within our Jewish AND our secular worlds. We take these symbols that are involved, the events AND EVERY life lost quite seriously (for those who have NOT bother to look up our profiles - my wife is a Reform Cantor here in the US).

The what - part 2
I have been accused of placing these images BEYOND the "appropriate" family relations. I went into the drop-down menu under FAMILY, clicked LISTS and brought up what I thought was my family of 2,358 profiles (after all if does say - "Richard (Rick) Gary Simon's Family Tree"). I then searched that group for deceased having died between 1939 and 1946. Of those individuals, I then searched their profile to see if they were lost in the shoah. If they were and there was NO photo on the profile, I then added the "Mogen Dovid" - Star of David on its yellow back-ground ....... To the best of my knowledge, I NEVER replaced a photo on a profile with the symbol.

The WHY !!!
I am a combat veteran of Vietnam and damn proud of it !!! When our service men and women are buried with military honors their coffin is always draped in our flag to show their service to our country - with way TOO MANY having died in THAT service. When I open the tree view and see empty photo slots of the deceased, all one sees is the black stripe in the upper left-hand corner. MANY, MANY of those lost is the shoah have NO photos and very probably NEVER WILL. They died NOT for their country, but ONLY because they were Jewish.

So know when I open the tree view - I, and EVERYONE, can see the terrible loss. And the mantra "NEVER FORGET" can be better fulfilled .......
While I understand some people being upset with this image - it is fact and it is reality that this is WHY this person died. We cannot make any excuses, we cannot find reason - we accept but do NOT forget. This then becomes a badge of honor and respect - and I am proud of what I am helping to show the world.
If there had been ANY person that had sought me out and voiced their thoughts to me, NOT only would I have listened, but most probably would have followed their request - most assuredly, if they were the manager. But if they are NOT the manager and are complaining - why is their opinion any more important than mine ????? What is their relationship to the profile in question ??? These profiles are in "my tree" (based on what GENI defines) so why is my relationship to this profile questioned over someone who does NOT like the image, OTHER than if the manager feels this way. And if the manager DOES object, why do they NOT say anything to me.
While 2 curators have objected to my efforts - NO one else has come forward TO ME .....
So is GENI now telling me that I have to have the curator's permission and blessing? Do the curator's feelings have more weight than mine? Do the curator's just get to make "stuff" up - because at this stage, that is all it is - because NO one else has come forward TO ME .....
I would love to have a conversation with ANYONE about this issue. I DO want to hear what others have to say - but their rights and feelings STOP where mine begin, JUST as my feelings and rights stop where theirs begin. So there has to be some compromise - some give and take.
But GENI - you have done ALL of the taking and given NOTHING !!!
That is neither fair, appropriate nor right ....
I will be pleased to speak to anyone with regards this issue. ALL of my contact info is in my profile AND always has been. My direct email is richard.g.simon@gmail.com and my cell # 913.284.1818 is US central zone.
PLEASE fell completely at ease in contacting me.

To GENI management - my intent never was to cause a problem. But as you can see, I feel very strongly about this issue. If you wish, I will make sure in the future to contact a manager before posting a photo, but GENI needs to be MUCH CLEARER about how far my reach goes for me to control ???? If there are any managers that wish the image removed, then please contact me and I will assist - although if you are the manager, I am not sure why you cannot remove the image yourself ............
I trust all of this is to GENI's satisfaction and will return me to FULL editing capability.

RGS

2/5/2015 at 6:58 PM

I was very touched reading your deeply upsetting summary of recent events. It is with trepidation that I am responding, being unfamiliar with your family and the the Dutch tree.

Without a doubt there was a misunderstanding about your most honorable and moving intentions.You are absolutely right, this is an intensely painful issue for many members. In addition the symbol in question, the yellow star Jude, has degrading connotations profoundly disturbing and upsetting to survivors and their families.

In fact, years ago we had discussions what images would be suitable for members to honor family murdered in the Holocaust. Below are links to examples. Yad Vashem one was considered very appropriate. Do you think the Yad Vashem image would work for you?

1.Exterminated in Holocaust

2. Murdered in Holocaust Yahrzeit 1

3. Exterminated in Auschwitz Holocaust

It seems as if somehow communications between all parties you were in contact with was either misunderstood, or not timely enough, and thus the situation quickly spiraled out of control, and hence the editing suspension.

Please accept deep apologies for the distress and frustration this complicated situation caused.

2/5/2015 at 8:46 PM

Malka - thank you so very much for your thoughtful and considerate words. While I was not trying to cause anyone any distress - it is the very nature of the image that - for me - has the power. You are absolutely correct that at the time my people were forced to wear this symbol, they were degraded and treated with unspeakable horrors. But, it is that very horror that empowers this symbol to speak to generations now and into the future - that we can never - that we must never forget.

All of the images you offered are "nice" - but they have all been sanitized; they are all POLITICALLY CORRECT.

Memory needs its "rawness" - it needs the glare of the brightest possible light shinning on it so that NO ONE can possibly miss it.

As I mentioned I have served in combat and I have seen, first hand, the greatest of the tragedies of war; it is the suffering of the innocent. But it is that very suffering - that, in modern terms - the "collateral damage" that brings parties to the peace table. If the only thing that happens is the death and destruction of those who fight, then the fighting will NEVER stop because there is and always will be someone to pick up the fight.

I will be glad to respect the rights of others - but I think in return, I have EVERY RIGHT to then demand the respect of my rights.

What is MOST CHILLING for me in this discussion is the censorship that I am (have been) enduring, when NOT a single person has had the courtesy to address me directly.

I just checked - and it appears my editing status has been returned. THANKS to whomever is responsible for this return.

Again, I will be MOST happy to communicate in whatever fashion is desired with ANYONE about this issue. PLEASE, PLEASE contact me ...

One last, VERY IMPORTANT point. The 2 different images I have used I did not just happen to find. BOTH images came from profiles on the MyHeritage site, which I believe is our parent company.

Interesting to say the least .....

RGS

Private User
2/5/2015 at 10:36 PM

A possibly tangential issue - I find it very upsetting that a Curator would advise one that one "should always contact the manager of a profile 1st before adding an image to a profile"
1) From comments in Public Discussions, it was my understanding that Geni has repeatedly toyed with the idea of eliminating Managers.
2)It is my understanding - If an unclaimed Profile is within your Max Extended Family, you have as much right to edit it as the manager.
3)It is my understanding - If it is a Public Profile, whether related or not, everyone on the World Tree has equal rights to edit any of the unlocked Fields. [one of the reasons I keep my closer deceased relatives Private]
4) The "Terms of Service", which are our only "Rules of Conduct" that I am aware of, makes no mention of managers of Profiles [the only instance of the word "manager" in Terms of Conduct -- "You agree to indemnify and hold Geni, its subsidiaries, agents, licensors, managers, and affiliates, ...." ]

On the other hand - reading the Terms of Service makes one wonder why any of us risk posting here given its statement that

"Geni reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject, block, refuse to post or remove any Content or other posting (including private messages) by you, or to restrict, suspend, or terminate this Agreement or your access to all or any part of the Geni Services at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice, and without liability."

2/6/2015 at 3:30 AM

Rick, I have sent you a PM.

2/6/2015 at 11:04 AM

Pam - I appreciate your thoughtfulness in thinking that a PM (private message) may be more "appropriate." And as I responded to you - I will respond some time this weekend.

However - I believe it is important ENOUGH that all available information be shared with the ENTIRE GENI community.

2/6/2015 at 11:35 AM

Dear Rick,

not so much about who you are or what you think in so many words, but the message you have sent across with the David star, with the word 'Jude' on it, is shocking to me and most likely to others.

It's not so much about me, who am I? But the symbol you have used was introduced by the Nazis to mark the Jews in society.
You have done no different than that. You have marked the same holocaust victims on geni. Geni is some sort of society. A global one, so to say.

These seem all harsh words but I have never doubted your good intend. I see your thought behind it. "Never forget" is the messsage you wanted to get across. But in my opinion you have choosen the wrong symbol for that.

Anyway, I think it is wise of you that you made this into a public discussion. Well done :)

2/6/2015 at 12:44 PM

Dimitri's insightful response so eloquently sums up the heart of the issues involved.

Richard (Rick) Gary Simon You might find the heartfelt deeply visceral responses in this 2011discussion on this same excruciatingly complicated topic helpful.

http://www.geni.com/discussions/77491

2/6/2015 at 12:45 PM

Dimitri & Malka - Thanks you for your very thoughtful comments. I am reviewing both of your comments as well as the links provided. I am taking some time to study and process. I will respond here in a couple of days.

I SINCERELY hope others will join this conversation. There are NO right answers AND there are NO wrong answers - but there are very important opinions AND feelings out there that hope others will share,

RGS

2/6/2015 at 2:05 PM

Hi Malka, Hi Rick

thanks for the link about the discussion, and I think I share your opnion, Malka, about using the Yad Vashem symbol including the words Yad Vashem as an alternative for a profile picture for the holocaust victims.

I snatched the logo from their website and transformed it into a suitable profile picture and used it on a profile a personally added to the world tree, namely my uncle:
Dolf Gazan#

Not sure wether a shall use this pic on other profiles I manage. Maybe some other 'better' suggestions will appear later on while this discussion lasts.

And Rick, I am so glad that I didn't offend you in any way. And indeed there are no wrongs and rights. What we all share is the same message: Never forget. And how do we get this message across best.

What strikes me the most, is what I saw in a new short film, directed by Steven Spielberg. The message about what happend then, is still hapening today, across the globe.
I think that is the hurtfull truth behind the statement "Never forget"

Anyway, to end on a more lighter note. Enjoy your weekend you all!

best regards,
Dimirti

2/6/2015 at 2:24 PM

I'm sorry - but the proper word is - - y'al :)

2/6/2015 at 9:55 PM

You can read my feelings and opinion on the link that Malka provided. To reiterate, I feel very strongly that it is up to the close family to decide what, if any image, they want for their loved one murdered in the Holocaust.

We differ it what we find acceptable or unthinkable in terms of images.

My own personal reaction to the the yellow Mogen Dovid (Star of David) on a black background with the word "Jude" written across the face" is a negative one. For me it connotes anti-Semitism, the Nazi regime, the annihilation of most of Europe's Jewish population -- men, women, children, old people. It hurts me to see it. And the closest relatives I lost in the Holocaust were cousins of my grandmothers, great aunts / uncles of my husband. Imagine how those who lost beloved family members they grew up with feel?

Private User
2/7/2015 at 4:36 PM

I was always convinced you had nothing but good intentions. Just like the other ones on Geni that are using the very same image to identify those who died in the Holocaust.
BUT, I am somewhat surprised you never saw it coming.
That it never occurred to you that choosing the archetypal star of David with Jude written on it, THE symbol that is considered by most people as humiliating in the context of the Sjoa, that singled out Jews from the rest of humanity, would be controversial, to say the least.
(Let's not forget there were also Roma/Sinti, homosexuals and others
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Bundesarchiv_Bil..., but, as far as I know, they were not forced to wear these badges in public)

I'd also like to remark that German Jews were also forced to add Sara and Israel to their names. IMO to reproduce it here would also be inappropiate.

2/8/2015 at 3:06 AM

I believe that, when we add a picture to a profile, the best we can do is to think of what the human behind the profile would have expected from us In the case we have pictures or paintings, there is no issue: usually the person made a voluntary decision to have his picture taken or painting drawn. In the case of Rembrandt, it's obvious that he would like us to use one of his self-portraits. In the absence of that, a coat of arms is a good alternative. Or, an image of a tombstone or an epitaph make a lot of sense.
I think the issue here is about the use of symbols. We often use the Mayflower image for a Mayflower immigrant to the Americas. I suspect those immigrants would well understand why we would use such a picture - in the absence of better.
So, when thinking of the victims of the Holocaust, I seriously doubt that they would like symbols discussed above to be on their profile. I rather think they'd wish to be seen with their faces, in a loving and remembering way. If we don't have their pictures, I think Malka's suggestion about Yad Vashem makes a lot of sense, as it is probably the best we can get in the absence of a tombstone, sadly enough.
I don't think that it is 'politically correct' to giving peace through a profile picture. I think it just makes sense.
Again, let's think of what the deceased may have wanted. I don't think they would want to keep wearing a Jude star. In my honest opinion.

2/8/2015 at 3:43 AM

For anyone who is interested in using the profile picture I have created of Yad Vashem, please visit the folowing link for saving it onto your own device:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TEPJwQXjBKxiIk1HX9rZLs7YnYi5Pqf...

2/8/2015 at 3:49 AM

Thanks to all for these opinions and here is mine.

I have been upset of the image with the yellow star and the text Jew on. My thoughts are "never again". And now kind of we are "here again" in the world.

We are not aloud to ever forget the Holocaust but is it appropiate to use the nazi's signs? In Sweden it's confusing to see, hear and read what is political correct at this time and how media handle the, what I see, as an ongoing very confused kontext. E. g. I had to write to my newpaper to tell that four of the victims in Paris actually was chosen and murdered only because they were jewish. The swedish national television suddenly hade to send from the state funerals in Paris of the (muslim) polismen and the communistic funerals of the journalists. They suddenly had to report about the murders in the kosher-shop and from Jerusalem. The four victims did not wear a nazi-jewsign. They was killed eventhough. Only because they were jewish.

But that was absolutely not the only thing they were. So how to remember them? I have discussed this several times with others and my opinion is: We have to remember them as persons. Humans with more or less skill, younger or older, with a background and a future. That's what we can do within the geneaological frames. To anyone. I never ever write what confession anyone have. It's enough to read the place of death. But of course it's not always enough. Look at who was on the swedish "Vita bussarna" from Buchenwald. There was only five surviving jewes and they was not aloud to come ombord. It was mostly political survivors from Norway as passengers. I don't think we need or should put that awful nazi-star on anyone here.

There are still a lot of people in the world who wants to categories others. I prefer that people do that themselves. And I belive everyone has the right to chose themselves. How can we ever understand the Holocaust by looking at the remains and the signs if we don't understand a portrait of a person, name, family, place of birth and death, education, work and skills?

Private User
2/8/2015 at 8:07 AM

Everyone in this discussion is either my direct cousin or a family member.

Most everyone in this discussion is a collaborator.

Rick Simon is a family member and a trusted long-standing collaborator.

That said, before I give my input to this discussion, I will plainly ask the question: Have Geni restored Rick's editing privileges? Thus far the answer to that isn't clear from reading this thread.

2/8/2015 at 8:12 AM

a quote from Ricks second post gives the answer to your question, Gary

-...I just checked - and it appears my editing status has been returned. THANKS to whomever is responsible for this return....-

2/8/2015 at 8:15 AM

I would say that this issue(depiction of the gruesome, or, instead of a slightly more sanitized version thereof) depends on your desire, or unwillingness, to confront evil. As the Dutch author of "Nacht und Nebel", a report on a concentrationcamp for resistance fighters wrote, on having to watch the prolonged execution of a young Polish boy :all the other inmates averted their eyes, but not I,for I wanted to see the devil."

Private User
2/8/2015 at 8:23 AM

I am agreeing with George. I am thinking the same way. Great Idea also from Dimitri. It was also good what Ray was mention, because for Jewish people it was humiliating. Sometimes it's good to hear the meaning of others and when I worked in the Police forse my chef was always ending with the words: Use it in your advantage.

2/8/2015 at 8:48 AM

I have thought of Rick's tellings above all day. As a "christian" I have to ask myself: How would I like to be remembered if victim of the Holocaust? To be jewish, or christian, is a question of something you don not chose. It's of course a part of my life to be a christian and it's the same to anyone who is born: One is part of a kontext and a social life. To meet others is a problem sometimes about how to understand each other. But some things we have in common. We are humans and we have to respect these differences in context. But I belive that no woman or no man would like to be remebered as a victim of evilness only. In common we e.g. have the parenthood, the love for our children. Each child born is the most beatuiful and perfect child in the world. So even if not becoming a King or president that's what the child is and ought to be remembered for. Even if there is nazi evil or deaseses accidents or anything else evil brougth into the childs life. So even if the child was born right into the nazi evilness and only lived for one day it was not only a victim but a person. An important person and by showing him or her rather as a person than only a victim we can tell the world about him or her. No one can ever forget the situation if we at Geni tells "Died in the holocaust" but only show thats he/she lived only for a short time. We have to differ between the necessity to show the person and the evilness. To put the childs or the grownup only life purpose as a "victim" is not fair. I compare with all the "illegitimate" children who did nothing else but get born and then for the rest of their lives suffered for what the fathers did (or did not do)! It's not my duty as a genealogist to let the children, or the victims of Holocaust, to suffer from what someone else did into the end of world. It's not necessary to tell what victims of the Holocaust that were jews. It would be easier to tell who was not.

Private User
2/8/2015 at 9:16 AM

In regard to the restoration of Rick's editing privileges, I stand corrected as pointed out by Dimitri. I missed the quote from Rick's second post. Thank you, Dimitri.

I am a Jew of Eastern European (Ashkenazic) and Portuguese Israelite Dutch (Sephardic) heritage. Profiles of my cousins on both sides who were murdered in the Holocaust are entered on Geni.

In 1959, at the age of 6, I learned to read Hebrew from Rabbi Meir Kahane at the Howard Beach Jewish Center in Howard Beach, Queens, New York, USA. I met Arlo Guthrie there, who was taking Bar Mitzvah lessons from Rabbi Kahane at the same time that I was taking my accelerated primary Hebrew lessons.

My father was Secretary of the congregation. Many of the congregation who were friends and cousins of my parents were Displaced Persons (DPs) who had made their way to the USA after being liberated from the concentration camps. Rabbi Kahane's message was too strong for the majority of the Board of Directors, who fired him. My father, who had voted in the minority to retain Rabbi Kahane, resigned from HBJC and moved us to another congregation. Most of the DPs went elsewhere as well.

Rabbi Kahane's message to me, my parents, and the congregation was always "Never Again". This was long before Rabbi Kahane founded the Jewish Defense League in New York City in 1968, where this slogan gained notoriety. Rabbi Kahane's career is easily Googled, so I won't repeat it further. However, I wanted to add my personal experience with a piece of the aftermath of the Shoah, which I believe is relevant to Rick's original intent to associate the noted profiles with a graphical image that depicts the horror of the Shoah.

It's hard for me to come down on the side of which symbol is appropriate. On the side of political correctness, there is a case to be made for use of the Yad Vashem symbol as first related in the 2011 discussion and as recently related per Dimitri Gazan. On the side of direct impact, there is a case to be made for use of the "Judenstern" (Jews' star) as first related in the 2011 discussion and as recently related by Rick.

I'm in contact with my Bar Mitzvah Rabbi (now in Nebraska) and two of my parents' DP friends (from Howard Beach) who are all around 90 years of age. and still going strong as Holocaust lecturers. I wonder what they might have to say about which symbol is appropriate.

If anyone in this discussion is in contact with a DP Holocaust lecturer, the input from them might be valuable as well.

2/8/2015 at 9:28 AM

I have NOT weighed back in JUST yet -

I am in the process of trying to encapsulate ALL of the comments made (and continuing to be made) and my thinking as to their validity and value. And then trying to respond without some of the emotion - coherently and in a form and length that is manageable ....

I truly thank all who have or are in the process of adding to this discussion. I encourage ALL to add their voice.

For me this is NOT a vote of a majority or those who do or do not support the position I have taken to this point. For me - it is a discussion of our future as an important voice of the past FOR THE PURPOSE of being an important voice into AND for the future.

Again, I hope to see many, many more commentaTORS in this discussion.

RGS

2/8/2015 at 9:50 AM

Richard (Rick) Gary Simon Rick, as a combat veteran you are a fighter at heart, and your immediate visceral reaction with the yellow star was to turn it into a bold battle cry "never to forget", which ironically as Gary points out is how the Jewish Defense League must have seen it, when they transformed the yellow star by striking it through with a powerful fist for their logo and call action.

However, it seems that for many survivors and their families the yellow star only conjures up unspeakable pain, humiliation and horror.

What you seem to be seeking is an image that carries a powerful punch, a call for arms to eradicate evil from the world, ie. as you said "Never Again!". But, perhaps there are feelings so intense and powerful as to transcend the capacity of any image to speak for it.

In order to give you more choices, I have added Dimitri's Yad Vashem image, and a few more possibilities to the Shoah tree for your consideration.

SHOAH TREE: http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000014370723289#600000003...

1. Shoah - Never Again Logo

2. Yad Vashem Logo

3. Never Forget Logo

4. Shoah Bearing Witness Logo

2/8/2015 at 9:54 AM

Adam Brown taught me a good lesson, if no photo of the person is available, to use the photo field to show a document/record mentioning the person. For Shoah victims, it is often possible to use a Page of Testimony form Yad Vashem.

2/8/2015 at 10:01 AM

One more, NEVER AGAIN!

Randy Schoenberg That is a powerfully relevant document indeed!

2/8/2015 at 10:02 AM

Oops...! I did something stupid here. I created a variant of the Yad Vashem logo without asking their permission. Sorry folks. I removed my link from the web.
Sorry again, and thank Rick for pointing it out to me :)

2/8/2015 at 10:09 AM

Hate to say it, Malka, but it is still happening today, right now as we speak. Boko Haram, Isil, and I am probably fogetting a couple of examples more, I'm afraid.

The 'Never Again' slogan hasn't worked..

2/8/2015 at 11:39 AM

Hi everybody,

I removed the Yad Vashem logo also from my uncles profilephoto space but replaced it for another.

This time I made it completely original with a message included as well that is maybe suitable for use.
I think it combines both, the soft and the hard approach in one message:

Yad Vashem

our past is present

see:
Dolf Gazan#

2/8/2015 at 11:50 AM

Dimitri Gazan Excellent option, I hope you do not mind if I added it to the Shoah tree: http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000014370723289#600000003...

If you look at the JDL Logo in black/white, it almost seems as if
the Yad Vashem Logo is replicated in the lines of the fingers and thumb in the closed fist.

JDL LOGO Holocaust

Showing 1-30 of 138 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion