William "Longsword" - William "Longsword" is my 35th great grandfather.

Started by Delores Ann King on Sunday, December 31, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 29 posts
Private User
12/31/2017 at 4:25 PM

Hello cousin, he's my 34th great grandfather. Small world! 😄

Private User
12/31/2017 at 5:06 PM

You all must be on the young side ... he's my 29th gt. grandfather! Hi, cousins! :-) Happy New Year!

WOW and he is my 29th great grandfather as well . on my fathers side , hello to all. Happy NEW YEAR

12/31/2017 at 6:46 PM

and my 32nd hello cousins albeit distant ..H N Y to you all xoxoxo

12/31/2017 at 10:26 PM

Oh-oh - consanguinity! He's my 30th great grandfather on my father's side and my 29th great grandfather on my mother's side. I'm afraid I must be a product of an incestuous relationship somewhere! Happy New Year, Cousins!!

1/1/2018 at 3:00 AM

He’s my 25th great grandfather on my mother’s side of the family.

Private User
1/1/2018 at 3:42 AM

William "Longsword" is your 30th great grandfather.

Private User
1/1/2018 at 9:37 AM

I'm an old pup. He's my 32nd great grandfather on my mother's side.

1/1/2018 at 12:39 PM

I'm w/you, Sally Ann Majestic.... he's my 28th great grandfather.

1/1/2018 at 12:59 PM

He's my 32nd great grandfather, too. Hi, cousins! Maybe some of the ones who have him as a 20-somthing-th are confusing William Longsword, grandfather of William the Conqueror, with William Longespee, son of Henry II and Ida de Toeny. Or not. Those would also have the older William as an ancestor, since Longespee is a direct descendant of Longsword.

Private User
1/1/2018 at 9:34 PM

Happy New Year to all of my cousins out there! 😄

1/2/2018 at 1:43 AM

William "Longsword" is my 29th great grandfather on my mother's side. Happy to meet so many cousins!

Private User
1/2/2018 at 4:18 AM

He is my 27th great grandfather.

1/2/2018 at 10:04 AM

Hi there my sweet relatives, William is my 32nd great grandfather. Wish you all a great 2018 with greetings from Stockholm! 👍

1/2/2018 at 10:57 AM

no confusion here, MaryAnn, Geni has him listed as my 28th great grandfather, whilst my personal DB lists him as my 24th. I'm probably, truly that much older than you are.

1/2/2018 at 2:01 PM

He is my 30th Grandfather

Private User
1/3/2018 at 6:39 AM

Geni has him as my 30th great grandfather on my father's side. I have not done the research myself so I wonder if this is true. Has anyone else found that it wasn't true in your case?

Private User
1/4/2018 at 6:13 PM

Here's at least one problem (but shhh, don't wave it about!)

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Capt William Constable LEE I, 9G Grandfather
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | & Alice Felton LEE TATUM, 9G Grandmother
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Richard Henry LEE, 8G Grandfather
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | & Mary Young, 8G Grandmother

No one has found *proof* that Richard "Henry" Lee m. Mary Young is a son of William "Constable" Lee (neither of them would have had middle names, by the way - that was not yet A Thing). Y-DNA research says he fits in among the "Jehu Lee" group, which might be very distant cousins of THE Lees (as in, having a common ancestor circa Bad King John or earlier).

The "Jehu Lee" group also seems to be entangled on the distaff side with the "Thomas Lee of VA" group, via the Greshams. This makes sorting out who's who a bit more complicated - and the Thomas Lees are no possible kin to THE Lees.

1/21/2018 at 11:25 AM

Hi Everyone...@William "Longsword", king of England was my 29th Great Grandfather. I grew up in South Africa and now reside in the US. It seems that Im related to many Kings and Queen from Norway, Italy, Spain, Germany, France and England.

Private User
1/21/2018 at 5:41 PM

Minor point: William "Longsword" isn't the same person as William the Conqueror. One Longsword was his ancestor (the one this thread started about) and one was a descendant on the wrong side of the blanket (William Longespee, one of Henry II's little "accidents").

Of course, it's all relative. :-D

5/10/2018 at 12:20 PM

I'm a little late on picking up on this discussion but William Longsword was son of "Rollo" or formally Rolfr Ragnavaldsson (846-930), the Norse Jarl (Earl) who was elected Gangr for the invasion of France in 911 and the capture of seven cities all of which are now part of Normandy. The Norse people didn't use the letter "e" but guess where the word Gangster came from.
I am descended from Rollo by two ways - through his GGGGrandson William the Conqueror and through the Conqueror's second cousin Hawise, both descended from William Longsword. He is my 31GGF through the Conqueror but only my 29GGF through Hawise.
Hawise's GGGD Mahaut de Bretagne (Maud of Brittany) married Walter de Gaunt, who was descended from Charlemagne.

6/29/2022 at 1:26 AM

William "Longsword" is Ronald James Pappas' 30th great grandfather!
Ronald James Pappas
You → Joanne Ellen Pappas (Premus)
your mother → show 29 relatives → Richard I, 'the Fearless', Duke of Normandy
his father → William "Longsword"
his father

6/30/2022 at 3:05 PM

William "Longsword" is my 27th great grandfather.
You
→ Elza Dzelvite (Grahpe,Grāpe)
your mother → Jahn Grahpe
her father → Baron Arnold Julius von Vietinghoff-Riesch
his father → Carl Arnold Bar. von Vietinghoff
his father → Reinhold Johann Peter von Vietinghoff
his father → Augusta Christiane Isabella Elisabet von Vietinghoff
his mother → Christina Sophie von Rosen
her mother → Johann Gustav von Rosen, a. Kiekel
her father → Georg Gustav von Rosen
his father → Elisabeth Baroness von Khevenhüller
his mother → Baroness Regina Catharina von Windisch-Grätz
her mother → Andreas von Windisch-Graetz
her father → Erasmus II Windisch-Graetz
his father → Christoph I Windisch-Graetz
his father → Walburga von Gutenstein
his mother → Sidonie von Ortenburg
her mother → Heinrich von Ortenburg, V
her father → Georg I, count of Ortenburg-Neuortenburg
his father → Heinrich von Ortenburg, III
his father → Rapoto IV, Graf von Ortenburg
his father → Heinrich von Ortenburg, I
his father → Elisabeth von Sulzbach
his mother → Mathilde von Bayern
her mother → Henry IX the black, duke of Bavaria
her father → Judith of Flanders
his mother → Eleanor of Normandy
her mother → Richard II "the Good", Duke of Normandy
her father → Richard I, 'the Fearless', Duke of Normandy
his father → William "Longsword"
his father

Private User
7/1/2022 at 10:55 AM

Good grief, it took kilometer to unfollow discussion ;)

8/13/2022 at 9:45 AM

Ronald James Pappas
I apologize. and you're right, so I deleted my post.

8/13/2022 at 11:04 AM

Thank You. I'm sorry for being a bit harsh. Lack of sleep. I'm sorry too, Cousin Marvin.

Private User
8/14/2022 at 6:58 AM

Picking up on an older comment: the ancestry of "Rollo" has been discussed in detail here and elsewhere, with no clear conclusions. "Gangr-Hrolf" appears to be a legendary figure, possibly a "legendization" of the historical person some centuries later (even the Icelandic Sagas aren't consistent about him or his ancestry, Laxdaela giving his purported father as one Oxen-Thorir, while others report the well-established legend that he was a son of Ragnvald of More).

The oldest actual historical record of him, in Richer's chronicles, give him out as "son of Ketil" (but not Ketil Flat-nose, per chronology). This isn't *quite* contemporary with him, but not more than a generation afterward, so Richer was (choose one) a) making stuff up, b) reporting a popular rumor, c) drawing on some bit of knowledge that has since been lost.

8/14/2022 at 8:45 AM

Then, they should fix "Rollo or his Father's Tree", otherwise, we are told they are our ancestors.

Gange-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson is your 31st great grandfather.

8/14/2022 at 8:50 AM

I still want to pick up my "Viking Sword" and Conquer Kingdoms. Oops, you can only carry so many inches of the blade on you. heh. I guess no Viking Sword today.

Showing all 29 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion