Katherine Allen (unknown) - Katherine (unknown) Allen

Started by Richardson B. Allen on Friday, April 13, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts
4/13/2018 at 8:10 AM

I noticed that the profile of Katherine second wife of George Allen of Sandwich is listed as "died before June 7, 1656." But a deed from Henerey and Samuell Allin of Boston to George Alline of Sandwidge, land in Sandwich given by father George Allin dec'd, deed with consent "of our mother to say now Kathren Collins who hath interest therin during her life," deed dated 10 July, 1656, witnessed by John Collins (Family History Library: Plymouth Colony deeds, volumes 1-6 v. 3, film 0567789, item 2, p. 7). So Katherine died after that date.

4/13/2018 at 8:46 PM

Another note. John Collins died on the 29th of May 1670 (according to inventory, citation 2), and Gideon Allen son of George and Katherine was granted John's administration on the 27th of 5th month 1670 (27 July 1670, citation 1). Citations: 1) Family History Library: Suffolk County, MA, probate records, new series v. 1, 1636-1766, transcript, film 594359, p. 480; 2) Family History Library: Suffolk County, MA Probate Records, v. 7, film 584128, item 3, transcript, p. 73-74. There is no mention of Katherine (unknown) (Allen) Collins in his probate records, suggesting that Katherine died after Henry and Samuel's deed in 16 Jul 1656, and before John Collins death on 29 May 1670.

4/17/2018 at 2:23 PM

Richardson B. Allen
Would you review this part of the tree carefully, I am not seeing a profile for Samuel this is written in the Overview of George
"George Allen senior, died in Sandwich, May 2, 1648, aged about 80. In his will, proved 7 June, 1649, he named his five sons, Matthew, Henry, Samuel, George, and Wiiliam, and also made provision for his "five least children,"
The Passenger List for the Hull Company bound for New England from England included the following:

46 George Allin, aged 24 years.

47 Katherine Allin, his wife, aged 30 years.

48 George Allin, his son, aged 16 years.

49 William Allin, his son, aged 8 years.

50 Matthew Allin, his son, aged 6 years.

51 Edward Poole, his servant, aged 26 years.

(Please note that the age of George is probably in error. Impossible to be the father of a 16 year old son.)

..........................................................................................
And this.....
"She married George Allen as his second wife on 5 Nov 1624 in Thurcaston,Leicestershire,England. They had the first two children in Weymouth, Dorset, England and the remaining ones in Sandwich,Barnstable,MA.

Added notes***** Received from F.A.G. member # 47090555 with Thanks.

New England Marriages Prior to 1700 states: Catherine Starkes b. 1605 m. 5 Nov 1624 to George Allen as his second wife.

She came with George to New England Colonies in 1635 and seemed to marry Mr. Collins after the death of George on 2 May 1648.

It is uncertain as to the number of children both of the Katherines had.

Matthew Allen-1627-15 May 1695

Thomas Allen-1628

William Allen-1629-1 Oct 1705

Francis Allen-1633-1 Dec 1696

Gideon Allen-1635-1693

Janes Allen-1636-23 Jul 1714

Henry Allen-1637-1690

Samuel Allen-1641

Caleb Allen-27 Jun 1645

Hester Allen-8 Dec 1648

Judah Allen-30 Jan 1651

4/17/2018 at 4:45 PM

It will take me some time to collect data on all the names listed above.

George's will left 12 pence to all of his of his children, and it appears that all of his mentions in the will for his five "least" children (children of George and Katherine). This includes William, Matthew, Henry and Samuel, but his last son (Gideon) was not mentioned. William and Matthew traveled with George and Katherine in 1635, and were old enough to stay in Sandwich after George died. Katherine's three youngest children moved to Boston when Katherine married John Collins. The deed from "Henerey and Samuell Allin of Boston" to George Alline of Sandwidge, land in Sandwich given by father George Allin dec'd, deed with consent "of our mother to say now Kathren Collins who hath interest therin during her life," deed witnessed by John Collins, shows that Henry and Samuel were in Boston then. Gideon, Katherine's last son, was the administrator to the probate of John Collins, so lived in Boston with Katherine and John Collins. Henry and Gideon both settled in Milford CT. I think that Samuel moved to the next town, Fairfield CT, and sold two lots in 1663, but there is no record to tie Samuel of Boston and Samuel of Fairfield so this is only a suggestion.

George's children by his first unknown wife are more difficult. As The Great Migration (Immigrants to New England 1634-1635, V. 1, A-B, p. 30) says, "At one time or another just every Allen male in southeastern New England has been placed as a son of George Allen." Five children of George can be proved by contemporary records: Ralph (Sr.), John, Robert, George and Rose.

The Great Migration also mentions two other possible children of George: Francis and James. Francis is generally listed as son of George because he lived in Sandwich, but there are no records that prove that Francis was a son of George. On the other hand, Francis is mentioned with Jedediah Allen son of Ralph Allen Jr. in several records, although no records state that they were related. The Society of Friends records show that Francis was poor, and supported by the Society a few times, and he mistreated his wife. Most of these records mention Jedediah Allen, with or without other Allens, so I would suggest that Francis was related to Ralph Allen Jr. and his son Jedediah Allen. A list of land in 1667 also appears to show that Francis lived near Jedediah.

A James Allen lived in Sandwich between 1663-1667. The New England Marriages Prior to 1700 lists James as "James Allen (1636-1714) & Elizabeth [Partridge] (1644-1722); b 1663; Braintree/Sandwich/Chilmark." Waldo Chamberlain Sprague (1983, Genealogies of the families of Braintree, Massachusetts, 1640-1850, including the modern towns of Randolph and Holbrook and the city of Quincy. New England Historic Genealogical Society & Quincy Historical Society, Boston, 1983) states that this James Allen was a son of Samuel Allen of Braintree MA, and he removed to Chilmark by 1671 when he had a son Ebenezer Allen. He died in Chilmark in 1714. George Allen Jr. also had a son James, but he was born on 5 Aug 1658 so too late for the other James Allen.

Hester Allen was born is Sandwich, the record showing Hester Allen was born the 8th of December 1648, but there is no other mention of her. Since Ralph Allen Jr. married Hester or Esther Swift, I think that the Hester Allen born in 1648 was a daughter of Ralph Allen Jr.

Thomas Allen was of Barnstable MA, and brother of Matthew Allyn of New Haven CT.

Caleb Allen (b. 1646) and Judah Allen (b. 1651) were both sons of George (Jr.) & Hannah Allen, so grandsons of George Allen (Sr.).

Finally, Thurcaston, Leicestershire, England Allen records are commonly cited, but I haven't seen any clear records that relate them to George who arrived in Boston in 1635. The Parish Registers of Thurcaston show several Ralph Allens, and at least one George Allen, but none of the records match Ralph and George of Massachusetts: some Thurcaston records

Raph Allyn & Ann Nuberry mar 5 May [1622]
[chr. of Raph son of Raph Allyn bapt. 19 Dec [1622]]
Raph son of Raph Allyn bapt. 19 Jan 1622[/3]
Mary dau. of Raph Allyn bapt.1 Aug 1624
Danniell son of Raph Alline bapt. 28 May 1625
George son of Raph Allen bapt. 4 Oct 1628
Mildred dau. of Raph Allen bapt. 9 Jun 1630

Raphe Allyn & Jane his wife mar. Mar [1634]
Jane wife of Raph Allen the elder of Crapston butcher buried 16 Jan 1653[/4]
Raph Allen the elder buried 3 Aug 1661

There are NO marriage of a marriage of a George Allen and Katherine in the Thurcaston parish registers. I checked!!

So, what I put in this text is relatively quick, but might answer some of the questions from the prior discussion. Let me know if you need more details.

4/20/2018 at 8:10 AM

George's will left 12 pence to all of his of his children, and it appears that all of his mentions in the will for his five "least" children (children of George and Katherine). This includes William,

Matthew, Matthew Allen, of Dartmouth

Henry Henry Allen, of Sandwich MA

and Samuel, **Unable to find a profile for Samuel b.1641

but his last son (Gideon) was not mentioned. Gideon Allen of Milford

Should we create a profile for Samuel?

4/20/2018 at 8:13 AM

Forgot William
>>This includes William<< William Allen

4/20/2018 at 3:49 PM

Be aware, beyond the mention of Henry Allen in George Allen's will, Henry was in Boston in 1656, is mentioned in New Haven in 7 Dec 1658, first mentioned in Milford CT in 1660/61 (At town meeting 9 Jan 1660[/1?], James Tapping and Henry Allen granted liberty to choose[?] land), Henry married Sarah [Hill] (-1680), dau John of Guilford CT (bapt. as wife of Henry 7 Oct 1661), and he married 2 Rebecca (?) Rose, widow of Robert; 1685. Division of estate of Robert Rose includes portion to Henery Allyn representing Moses Johnson [Stratford CT] 24 Feb 1686[/7?]. A deed from Henery Allyne formerly of Milford CT now of Stratford CT to Samuell Fitch of Milford, land in Milford [Milford CT] 22 Sep 1686 shows that Henry had moved to Stratford by 1686. Henry died in Stratford CT in about 1690 (Inventory of Henry Allin late dec'd in [Fairfield crossed out] Stratford, taken 20 Sep 1690 [Fairfield CT, Probate] 20 Sep 1690). Another deed proves that Henry was the son of George Allen of Sandwich (Deed of grant of land from Georg Allen of Sandwich to son John Allen, includes house bought from son Daniel, plus land bought from brother Henry, witnesses Edw. Perry and William Allen, confirmed by Georg Allen 3 May 1687, recorded 11 May 1687).

Concerning George and Katherine Allen's son Samuel Allen, the last proved mention of him was the 1656 deed in Boston, which suggests that he was born about 1635-1640 (at least 16 years old). But there are several records of Henry Allen, and Gideon son of Gideon Allen, in Fairfield, so the two deeds of Samuel in Fairfield in 1663 are consistent. The deeds are in the Fairfield land records. The Samuel in Fairfield does not match any of the various other Samuel Allens or Allyns of CT. Unlike Milford, there are no town records for Fairfield covering that time. If this is the same Samuel son of George and Katherine Allen, he married a Mary, and Samuel and Mary are listed in the Hempstead (Long Island) census of 1698. They settled in Great Neck, Hempstead, in 1664, and they had at least three children (Henry, Samuel and Edward). There are no records of the births of Samuel's sons, and it is very possible that he had other children. When I can next get to CT and Long Island, I'll see if there any other records to prove the suggestion. People have been trying to find Samuel after the 1656 deed for 100 years or more, but without luck. So if you add a profile for Samuel, please make it very clear that this is only a suggestion not supported by any clear relationship. There is an online genealogy for Henry (son of Samuel?) at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rclarke/page1/all..., but the rootweb.ancestry.com site is not online right now.

4/21/2018 at 1:12 PM

The passenger list of George Allen, in 1635, lists an age for George's wife Katherine of 30. If the record is correct, then 6 of George's children were probably born prior to the marriage with Katherine (Ralph Sr., John, Robert, Francis (possible son?), George (Jr) and Rose Allen). George Sr.'s will, which mentions his "five least children", can be interpreted to suggest that these five children were the children of George and Katherine (William, Matthew, Henry, Samuel and Gideon). The passenger list includes three of George's children, sons George age 16, William age 8 and Matthew age 6, suggesting that there was a gap in the children of 8 years. So, only the last five children of George and Katherine should be attached to Katherine. The other 6 children were children of George and an unknown first wife.

Another note: the Allens in the Thurcaston, Leicestershire, England parish registers DO NOT match the family of George Allen of Massachusetts. I'll add a pdf file of the registers, which show that there is no match between the Allens of Thurcaston and George's family in Massachusetts.

4/21/2018 at 1:30 PM

I have added the Thurcaston parish register records (file named: Thurcaston Leicestershire England register Allens.pdf), but I'm not sure where the file was put. If necessary I can download the file again.

4/21/2018 at 6:51 PM
4/21/2018 at 6:52 PM

I added
Samuel Allen

4/21/2018 at 8:32 PM

Be aware that Samuel was brother of William, Matthew, Henry and Gideon (sons of Katherine), and half-brother or half-sister of Ralph Sr., John, Robert, George, Rose, and possibly Francis Allen (children of George's first wife). The 3 May 1687 deed of George Allen mentions land from his "brother" Henry Allen, but it should have been half-brother Henry (see the discussion of the 1656 deed).

About 20 years ago I worked with Ed Cooper (and sometimes with Jack MacDonald) trying to figure out the family of George Allen. As part of the work with Ed, I collected data on some of the other suggested George Allens in England (Thurcaston, London, and Saltford and Bridgewater of Somerset). The data appears to show that all four of these George Allens are not George of Massachusetts. I'll combine some emails sent to Ed, and add those to the George Allen of Thurcaston profile sources. I haven't look at Doreset, so I won't get involved in the George Allen of Weymouth profile. The two profiles overlap, but the George Allen of Weymouth profile has some people and data that I have not seen before.

4/22/2018 at 11:35 AM

Would you look at this...
We have two profiles for George Allen, Jr.
1) George Allen, Jr. of Sandwich
his mother is showing as 1st wife of George Allen
Wives are showing as Hannah Allen and Sarah Allen

2) George Allen, of Stafford County his mother is showing as Katherine Collins
Wives are showing as Sarah Allen and Mary Allen

4/22/2018 at 4:01 PM

The first George Allen, Jr. (George Allen, Jr. of Sandwich) is the son of George Sr. and his first unknown wife.

The second George Allen (George Allen, of Stafford County) is listed as born about 1625 in England, and died in Virginia (or North Carolina in other sources). His first wife, Sarah (Lamb) Allen, was born in Leicestershire, England in 1620, and listed as died January 12, 1702 in Sandwich MA. The second wife, Mary (Withers) Allen, was born 1638 in Melling, Lancashire, England, and died 1689 in Stafford County, Virginia Colony. Based on the dates of the deaths, Mary was this George's first wife, and Sarah was George's second wife. There is an Ancestry tree with the same confusion between George Jr. of Sandwich and this other George Allen of Virginia and North Carolina. For instance, it says that George Allen Sr. was buried in Sandwich, Barnstable Co., Colony of Virginia!!! The profile lists four children (three in the Ancestry tree) all born in Virginia. So it appears that the second profile has data on George and Katherine of Sandwich which does not belong in the profile. I'm afraid that the profile is a mess, and all of the data on George and family of Sandwich should be dropped. One of the Ancestry trees shows that this second George Allen arrived in Virginia in 1650. None of the Ancestry trees show a second wife Sarah Allen.

4/22/2018 at 5:52 PM

Richardson, thanks for your careful attention to these distinctions.

4/22/2018 at 7:39 PM

As The Great Migration says, there were many Allens who were assigned to George's family. Jack MacDonald's text is a good starting for the more recent generations, although there are some holes in his genealogy. I'm still trying to trace Weston Allen based on the Y-DNA results. I'm stuck in the Dutchess Co. records!

4/23/2018 at 5:36 AM

I have disconnected George Allen, of Stafford County with notes

4/23/2018 at 4:26 PM

OK. Don't expect much for the next couple weeks. Vacation time!

10/31/2019 at 11:17 AM

Is this profile George 2 Allen the same as George 2 Allen

Are either of the “Sarah” wives valid?

Sarah Allen

Sarah Allen

Richardson B. Allen

10/31/2019 at 12:04 PM

George 2 Allen (George2 Allen last son of George Allen of Sandwich and his first unknown wife) had two wives: George2 Allen married 1st wife Hannah ____ by 1646 or 1648; and George2 Allen married 2nd wife Sarah _____ by 1657 [New England Marriages Prior to 1700, by Clarence Almon Torrey]. The data appears to show that George last two children, James and John Allen, both were born in 5 Aug 1658, suggesting that George's second wife Sarah was married after 1658.

George Allen acknowledges marrying out [Society of Friends, Sandwich Monthly Meetings, v. 60, 1646-1761, FHL film 1331, p. 42(?); 3:4mo:1687, condemned for out goings, 3:7mo:1686].

Settlement of estate of George Allen between widow Sarah Allen and children of George represented by Caleb Allen [Barnstable Co. Probate, v. 1, p. 79], Apr 22 1693.

The New England Marriages Prior to 1700, by Clarence Almon Torrey, mentions a Sarah (Chandler) (Cleaves) (Stevens) (Parker), w Wm., w ____, w John, m ____; married by 1691; Sandwich, to a unknown Allen. It is not clear if this Sarah was the wife George2 Allen son of George of Sandwich.

10/31/2019 at 12:09 PM

Exactly my question.

Do we have an exact date for the death of the 2nd George Allen?

How many other “George Allen’s of Sandwich” with a mouthy Sarah wife were there?

Were there associations with her other known marriages?

10/31/2019 at 1:05 PM

We don't have an exact date of George's death, but it is between his "out goings" 3:7mo:1686 (before marriage), acknowledgment of his "marrying out" on 3:4mo:1687, and the settlement of his estate on 22 Apr 1693. George Allen son of George[2] & Hannah Allen was born on 20:4mo:1672, showing that Hannah wife of George[2] was still alive in 1672. I have not found any information on Sarah's family, but the there are several suggestions (see the Citations mentioned in the profile of "Sarah Allen (Chandler)" [Sarah Allen]. I haven't tried to look at the citations.

10/31/2019 at 1:21 PM

I don’t have access to the article on American Ancestors

Helen Schatvet Ullmann CC FASG "Sarah (Chandler) (Cleaves) (Stevens) (Parker) Allen of Roxbury and Sandiwch Massachusetts: Documenting Her Several Husbands" in TAG Vol 80 p 32-33 (2005)

http://www.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-the...

I am guessing she identified Sarah Chandler’s 4th husband as George Allen 2 but may not have placed him in a family context.

10/31/2019 at 1:31 PM

This page is off line now, so I cant explore what the compiler had, but he cited a marriage date range:

https://media.geni.com/p13/80/6f/ed/ad/5344483ec3789913/p24232_orig...

10/31/2019 at 8:23 PM

Sarah (Chandler) (Cleaves) (Stevens) (Parker) Allen of Roxbury and Sandwlch, Massachusetts: Documenting Her Several Husbands, by Helen Schatvet Ullmann, The American Genealogist, 2005, v. 80, no. 1, p. 27-37.

A Documented Chronology (part of text, p. 29-30):
1684/5, 30 or 31 Jan. John Parker, collier, of Muddy River, died.

1684/5, 3 Feb. Sarah, widow of John Parker, late of Muddy River, refused administration in favor of his sons John and James Parker.

1685, 6 Aug. Sarah Parker, "widow relict of John Parker late of Muddy River," posted bond as guardian of "my daughter Annis Parker. "

1691, 17 April "Sarah, relict of William Cleaves late of Roxbury, now known as Sarah Allen of Sandwich in Plimoth Colony and William Cleaves, only son of said William, now of Sandwich, Taylor" sold to Moses Draper for 29s. a piece of land 24 feet square on Meeting House Hill in Roxbury, granted to William Cleaves in 1671. Sarah signed by mark.

1692, 10 Sept. Sarah Allyn and William Cleves, both of Sandwich, sold to Mr. James Bayley of Roxbury for £18 a dwelling house, etc., on the highway to Roxbury tide mill, that "William Cleaves our former husband and father" had purchased from James Adams on the last day of September 1667. Sarah signed by mark S.

1693, 2 May Arbitration between Caleb Allen and "his natural brothers and sisters" of the first part and "Sarah AH in relict of George Allin late of Sandwich" of the other part. Sarah signed by mark S.

1713, 29 Dec. Sarah Allen acknowledged the 17 April 1691 deed at Barnstable.

11/1/2019 at 2:23 PM

So we’re looking like Sarah Chandler was the 2nd wife of George 2 Allen. Do we need more or are you comfortable with a merge?

11/1/2019 at 2:36 PM

The other citation for Sarah Chandler’s 4th Marriage was from https://archive.org/details/genealogyofsherw00burr/page/n10

From the preview, I would think there are no further details on her Allen husband either.

11/1/2019 at 2:45 PM

Just randomly adding this article to the discussion:

https://www.whalingmuseum.org/explore/library/publications/old-dart...

11/1/2019 at 2:50 PM

Roland Henry Baker, III Would you venture an opinion on whether Sarah Chandler = 2nd wife of George Allen, Jr. of Sandwich ?

Also a good opportunity for you to “meet” Richardson Allen, who has done so much excellent research into the Allen trees.

11/1/2019 at 3:54 PM

Combined records of George and Sarah Allen:

Sarah (Chandler) (Cleaves) (Stevens) (Parker) Allen of Roxbury and Sandwlch, Massachusetts: Documenting Her Several Husbands, by Helen Schatvet Ullmann, The American Genealogist, 2005, v. 80, no. 1, p. 27-37.

A Documented Chronology (part of text, p. 29-30):

1684/5, 30 or 31 Jan. John Parker, collier, of Muddy River, died.

1684/5, 3 Feb. Sarah, widow of John Parker, late of Muddy River, refused administration in favor of his sons John and James Parker.

1685, 6 Aug. Sarah Parker, "widow relict of John Parker late of Muddy River," posted bond as guardian of "my daughter Annis Parker. "

3:7mo:1686 George[2] Allen "out goings" (before marriage)

3:4mo:1687, acknowledgment of George Allen’s "marrying out".

1691, 17 April "Sarah, relict of William Cleaves late of Roxbury, now known as Sarah Allen of Sandwich in Plimoth Colony and William Cleaves, only son of said William, now of Sandwich, Taylor" sold to Moses Draper for 29s. a piece of land 24 feet square on Meeting House Hill in Roxbury, granted to William Cleaves in 1671. Sarah signed by mark.

1692, 10 Sept. Sarah Allyn and William Cleves, both of Sandwich, sold to Mr. James Bayley of Roxbury for £18 a dwelling house, etc., on the highway to Roxbury tide mill, that "William Cleaves our former husband and father" had purchased from James Adams on the last day of September 1667. Sarah signed by mark S.

1693, 2 May Arbitration between Caleb Allen and "his natural brothers and sisters" of the first part and "Sarah Allin relict of Georg Allin late of Sandwich" of the other part. Sarah Allin her mark S.

1713, 29 Dec. Sarah Allen acknowledged the 17 April 1691 deed at Barnstable.

A genealogy of Sherwin-Shedd and allied families in America : being the ancestry of Sidney Orville Sherwin and Mary Adelaide Shedd, the parents of Myra Ella Sherwin Adams, her brothers and sisters, by Alyce Adams Burrell, 1990, Baltimore, MD, Gateway Press. Pages 146-149, Family of William Chandler and Annis Bayford, 7th child, Sarah Chandler, b. in Roxbury about 1638, married William Cleaves; mar. 2nd ___ Wilson; mar. 3rd Ephraim Stephens; mar. 4th ___ Allen.

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion