Gideon Allen, b. Sandwich MA d. Milford CT - The two Gideon Allen of Fairfield, CT

Started by Richardson B. Allen on Wednesday, September 26, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 30 posts
9/26/2018 at 4:22 PM

There were two Gideon Allen in Fairfield, CT, in the 1700's. The first was Gideon Allen (Lt. Gideon Allen, of Fairfield), son of Gideon Allen of MA and Milford, CT (Gideon Allen of Milford), and grandson of George Allen of Sandwich, MA (George Allen, of Sandwich). This Gideon moved to Fairfield in about 1699-1700. The other Gideon Allen was married in 1699, lived in Guilford, CT, and moved to Fairfield in 1702.

A few years ago, I started a project on Gideon Allen of Guilford and Fairfield, trying to find his ancestry. Although I found a possible line back to England, there was a gap in the records so I could not prove the idea. It is possible that Gideon of Guilford and Fairfield came from the Long Island, NY, but the records in Long Island in the 1600's are limited.

As a part of the project, I prepared a genealogy for Gideon and some of his descendants. Given common confusion between the two Gideon Allen families of Fairfield, I decided to add a file (https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000082684694361) in the sources of the profile of "Gideon Allen, b. Sandwich MA d. Milford CT" (Gideon Allen of Milford). Hopefully, this file will help other uses to distinguish between the two Gideon Allens.

9/26/2018 at 11:19 PM

Thank you for further improving the Allen family. Adding a file to Sources is a great idea.

The other thing that should be done, if it's not already, is for both to be MPed, and field locking and relationship locking used, and a Curator's Note added.

9/26/2018 at 11:25 PM

I detached Anna Allen from Gideon Allen, b. Sandwich MA d. Milford CT. I can reattach her if this is where she belongs.

I also re-made Gideon Allen, b. Sandwich MA d. Milford CT an MP and locked relationships. The children look okay at a glance.

9/26/2018 at 11:33 PM

I see that Torrey lists a first wife Anna Burr for Gideon Allen. Does anyone have additional information. Was she the 1st wife of Gideon Allen b. Sandwich MA d. Milford CT who then married Sarah Prudden who bore all his children and outlived him?

https://books.google.com/books?id=mOgK8dM9qqUC&lpg=PA10&ots...

9/27/2018 at 4:14 AM

Anna Burr was the first wife of Gideon Allen (Lt. Gideon Allen, of Fairfield), b. 1671, son of Gideon Allen and grandson of George Allen of Sandwich:

Gideon Allen, son of Gideon, b. at Boston 9 Aug 1671, will 22 Jan 1750/1, d. 25 Jan 1750/1, proved 5 Feb 1750/1, m. 1) at Fairfield 20 Jan 1696 Anna Burr dau. of Nathaniel, she d. at Fairfield 14 Mar 1747/8 age 72, he m. 2) 10 Aug 1749 Jane wid. of Moses Dimon & formerly wid. of John Hill, d. at Reading 22 Jul 1774 age 98 (Jacobus, Donald Lines, 1930-2, History and genealogy of the families of old Fairfield [CT]. The Eunice Dennie Burr Chapter, D.A.R., Fairfield CT, 3 vols. [Reprint, 1976, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore MD], v. 1, p. 14-15).

Ann Allen, wife of Lieut. Gideon, died March 14, 1747, age 72 (Old Cemetery, Fairfield Beach Road, Fairfield, CT, Copied November 1934, Retyped for the web by Coralynn Brown, part 1, Surnames A to M (http://www.rays-place.com/cemeteries/fair-old-p1.htm)).

Grave epitaph: “Here lyes Buried ye Body of Mrs Ann Allen, Wife to Lieut Gideon Allen, Who departed this life, Mar 14th, Anno Dom. 1747/8, Aged 72 years” (Hurd, D. Hamilton, 1881, History of Fairfield County, Connecticut, Philadelphia, J. W. Lewis & Co, p. 336).

Here lyes buried ye body of Mrs Ann Allen wife to Lieut. Gideon Allen who departed this life March 14th, Anno Dom. 1747-8, Aged 72 years [b. abt. 1676]; Here lyes buried the body of Mr. Gideon Allen, Junr. who departed this life May 29th A.D. 1748 in ye 46th year of his age [b. abt. 1702]; In memory of Mrs. Abigail Allen wife of Doctr John Allen who departed this life July the 4th 1773 in the 43d year of his [her?] age [b. abt. 1730] (Perry, Kate E., 1882, The old burying ground of Fairfield, Conn., and Beers, Wm. A., An account of the “Rebuilding of the Tombs,” 1881: American Publishing Company, Hartford, CT, p. 32-33).

9/27/2018 at 4:34 PM

I have some problems with the “Dr. Gideon Allen” profile (Lt. Gideon Allen, of Fairfield):

1) The only record that shows that Gideon Allen (son of Gideon of MA and Milford, CT, and grandson of George Allen, of Sandwich), was a doctor: Gideon [Allen], Dr., m. 1748 Ann Burr dau. of Nathaniel of Stamford (Abbott, Susan Woodruff (compiler) and Ricker, Jacquelyn L. (ed.), 1979, Families of early Milford, Connecticut. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD, p. 3). But the original records for Gideon, including a couple dozen deeds and his will, show his name as “Gideon Allen of Fairfield”, “Sergeant Gideon Allen”, “Ensign Gideon Allen” [Sergeant Gideon Allyn to be Ensign May 1712], or “Lieutenant Gideon Allen” [to be Lieutenant May 1721]. So there no evidence that “Dr. Gideon Allen” is a doctor.

2) The profile of “Dr. Gideon Allen” lists 4 wives, Mary Allen (Wright) (Mary Allen); Phoebe Allen (Bennett) (Phebe Allen); Ann Allen (Burr) (Anna Allen); and Jane Allen (Wakeman) (Jane Allen). But Mary and Phoebe Allen were the wives of Gideon Allen of Guilford and Fairfield, CT, not Gideon Allen son of Gideon Allen of Milford, CT. See my file in the sources: "Gideon Allen of Guilford & Fairfield CT.pdf" (https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000082684694361).

3) The profile of “Dr. Gideon Allen” lists 12 children. but Gideon Allen (Gideon Allen), Joseph Allen (Joseph Allen), Ebenezer Allen, Sr (Ebenezer Allen, Sr), John Allen (John Allen), and Mary Higgins (Allen) (Mary Higgins) are all children of Gideon Allen of Guilford and Fairfield, CT, not children of Gideon Allen son of Gideon Allen of Milford, CT (see source in item 2).

Unfortunately, the profile has combined two Gideon Allen families that are not related based on different Y-DNA haplogroups.

9/27/2018 at 6:04 PM

Have you seen a profile for Gideon Allen of Milford, CT in Geni?

9/27/2018 at 8:18 PM

The profile of Gideon son of George (Gideon Allen of Milford) is the father of Gideon of Milford & Fairfield (Lt. Gideon Allen, of Fairfield). The second profile is clearly the son of Gideon of Sandwich & Milford. But the second profile also includes Gideon of Guilford and Fairfield, CT. In a search for Geni, I came up with 53 Gideon Allen profiles, but no profile for Gideon of Guilford, m. 1699, and Fairfield, 1702 and later.

Is there a way to separate the two families in the Lt. Gideon Allen, of Fairfield profile? Can I create a new profile for Gideon of Guilford, and move his wives and children from the Dr. Gideon Allen profile to the new profile? Maybe name it Gideon Allen of Guilford, CT.

9/27/2018 at 8:26 PM

I noticed that I can "Create a New Branch". Would this work for this?

9/28/2018 at 6:19 AM

You asked "Is there a way to separate the two families in the Dr. Gideon Allen profile? Can I create a new profile for Gideon of Guilford, and move his wives and children from the Dr. Gideon Allen profile to the new profile? Maybe name it Gideon Allen of Guilford, CT.'

Yes please create a profile for Gideon of Guilford, and make the necessary moves.

9/28/2018 at 8:17 AM

OK. Would I use the "Create a New Branch" option to create the new profile? I haven't seen any other way to create a new profile that is not attached to a existing profile. Gideon of Guilford is not associated with any other Allen family.

Beyond that I'll look for any profiles for his two wives.

9/28/2018 at 9:14 AM

Does this help?
Gideon Allen, of Compo

9/28/2018 at 12:34 PM

Gideon Allen of Guilford CT has no known father. He was first mentioned when he married Mary in 1699. So profile Gideon Allen, of Guilford CT should not exist, and the family should start with the "Gideon Allen, Son of Gideon Allen of Guilford CT" profile (Gideon Allen, of Compo), and this second profile should be named "Gideon Allen of Guilford CT".

Beyond that it looks good, and I will add an overview modified from my file in the Dr. Gideon Allen sources. I'll delete the father in the "Gideon Allen, Son of Gideon Allen of Guilford CT" profile.

If I am the manager, can I change the name of the "Gideon Allen, Son of Gideon Allen of Guilford CT" profile to "Gideon Allen of Guilford CT" after deleting his father?

9/28/2018 at 12:50 PM

Made the changes.

9/28/2018 at 1:54 PM

"If I am the manager, can I change the name of the "Gideon Allen, Son of Gideon Allen of Guilford CT" profile to "Gideon Allen of Guilford CT" after deleting his father?"

Yes please take over
\

9/28/2018 at 2:12 PM

What about Gideon's descendants. His son Gideon Allen (Gideon Allen) doesn't even have a "edit profile" button. It is managed by: Karen Hodge Kaestner. Should I contact her?

9/28/2018 at 2:44 PM

Richardson B. Allen That was a result of the moving around activity. I refreshed the relationship path on the father Gideon Allen, of Compo and now all should be editable.

9/28/2018 at 2:46 PM

Thanks

9/28/2018 at 3:02 PM

Still can't see the "Edit Profile" button for Gideon Allen (Jr,) (Gideon Allen). The problem is, the profile says that he died in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, but he died 11 Jul 1788 in Plymouth, Litchfield County, Connecticut.

9/28/2018 at 4:52 PM

Odd, I was able to edit it. please check

9/29/2018 at 3:55 PM

Still can't see the "Edit Profile" for this profile (Gideon Allen). But I contacted the manager, and she has fixed the error.

9/29/2018 at 5:17 PM

I accepted the request to be a manager of Gideon Allen's profile, and I can now see the "Edit Profile" button. So it is fixed! Thanks.

9/29/2018 at 5:29 PM

I love stories like this this, and so much appreciate the Allen family efforts.

9/29/2018 at 5:54 PM

Thanks. Just starting to expand the family with text (overview) and more descendants.

9/30/2018 at 9:59 AM

A question for anyone. Gideon Allen's second wife was Phebe or Phoebe, widow of John Bennett of Fairfield, CT. Phebe and John's daughter Rachel Bennett married Joseph Allen, son of Gideon and Mary Allen and stepsister of Rachel Bennett, and Phebe and John's daughter Deborah Bennett married Ebenezer Allen, son of Gideon and Mary Allen and stepsister of Deborah Bennett. There are profiles for Joseph and Ebenezer and their wives Rachel and Deborah, but the profile for Phoebe Allen (Bennett) (Phebe Allen) does not list his daughters Rachel Allen (Bennet) (Rachel Allen) and Deborah Allen (Bennett) (Deborah Allen). Phebe's profile lists her as Phoebe, but she is listed as Phebe in the profiles of the Rachel and Deborah. How can I add Rachel and Deborah as children of Phoebe in her profile?

9/30/2018 at 10:19 AM

I changed Phoebe Allen Bennett's profile to Phebe Allen Bennett (Phebe Allen), to match the parents of the profiles of Rachel and Deborah, but it didn't help.

9/30/2018 at 10:46 AM

Saw that the profile has been fixed. Thanks.

10/2/2018 at 4:39 PM

Notice the probate of Gideon Allen (Gideon Allen) son of Gideon Allen of Guilford & Fairfield:

Connecticut. Probate Court, Woodbury District, District includes the towns of Woodbury, Bethlehem, and Southbury, Probate records v. 7, 1773-1787, Family History Library, film 6174, p. 122.

At a Court of Probate held at Woodbury Sept 2d 1778 Mr Joel Sanford of Waterbury appeared & informed that Gideon Allin late of Waterbury dec’d died intestate and moved to take Letter of Administration on sd estate whereupon Letter of Administration was granted unto him sufficient bond given. Daniel Sherman Jur Clerk.

At a Court of Probate held at Woodbury Febr 2d 1779 the above administrator appeared & exhibited an inventory of the estate of Gideon Allin late of Waterbury dec’d & made oath to the trust there of whereupon on it was accepted & ordered to be recorded & is as follows, viz.

Waterbury 31th of August 1778 an inventory of the estate of Mr Gideon Allin late of Waterbury dec’d as follows [inventory]
Total £270:8s:10p.
Debts that now appear £101:19s:1p, administration & court costs £24:14s:6p.

At a Court of Probate held at Woodbury Febr 2d 1779 application being made to this court for a distribution of the estate of Gideon Allin late of Waterbury dec’d this court doth desire and impower Mrs Isaac Johnson Clark Royce & Enos Ford all of Waterbury to distribute sd estate according to order of court viz to the widow Naomi Blackslee £47:18:5 to the eldest son Ebenezer Blackslee [Allen!] £31:18:10 to each of the rest of the heirs viz Solomon Allen Deborah Castle & to the children of Mary Howe & to the children of Mehitable Blackslee £15:19:5 & being effected to make return to the court. Daniel Sherman Jur Clerk

Ebenezer, Mary and Mehitable (and Deborah?) were children of Gideon & Rachel, while Solomon was a son of Gideon & Naomi.

Showing all 30 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion