John Strickland - Disputed Origins & Family

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, March 20, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
3/20/2020 at 4:06 PM

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Strickland-125

The hypothesis that John Strickland is the son of Sir Thomas Strickland KB is a classic example of wishful dreaming for aristocratic ancestors. There are no documents to support this hypothesis. There are no documents to support a marriage to Jane Fenwick. There are published books which state John Strickland was the son of Sir Thomas Strickland [1554-1612] and Mary Margaret Curwen [1572-1630] and that John married Jane Fenwick about 1641. A critical study by Herbert F. Smith notes that these books, which do not provide sources to support the statements, include: "Eavenson-Strickland and Allied Families by Sexta Eavenson Strickland, publ 1933; "The Jones Family of Long Island" by J. H. Jones; "Long Island Genealogies" by Mary Powell Bunker and the Davol-Willitts Genealogy by Mrs. Joseph C. (Samuel C.) Frost.[7]Donald Lines Jacobus commenting on the research of Herbert F. Smith states "we find little to add, nor can we quarrel with the general conclusions reached."[8]

3/20/2020 at 6:36 PM

Thank you
*sigh

3/20/2020 at 7:03 PM

And just to be sure:

*Burke, John (1836). A genealogical and heraldic history of the commoners of Great Britain and Ireland enjoying territorial possessions or high official rank: but uninvested with heritable honours. 1. Colburn. p. 58 [https://archive.org/details/heraldichistory01burk/page/58/mode/1up Archive.Org] no son “John” listed of Thomas Strickland and Margaret Curwen.

Disconnected as child of Sir Thomas Strickland, KB, MP & Margaret Strickland

Still cleaning up children.

3/20/2020 at 8:56 PM

The only known children of John Strickland are:

Elizabeth who married Jonas Wood "Oram"
Daughter who married John Lum - mentioned in will
Daughter who married John Smith "Blue" of Hempstead - mentioned in will
Daughter who married 1) Timothy Wood, 2) Samuel Matthews - mentioned in will

Disconnecting as children of John Strickland and his wife, who was not Jane Fenwick :

Edmund Strickland

Elizabeth Seaman

Martha Hartkopf

Thwaite Strickland

3/20/2020 at 8:57 PM

Also not known children Samuel Strickland & Sarah Strickland

3/20/2020 at 10:49 PM

The Platts are messed up also.

Jonas Platt & Sarah Platt. “ Jonas Platt was born 10 Aug 1667, married Sarah and had four sons, Obadiah, Timothy, Jesse, and Isaac.”

Detaching impossible child:

Phebe Vail

And extra wives: Phebe Platt (children attached, need review) & Mary

3/22/2020 at 10:20 AM

Charles Platt's 1963 work, "Platt genealogy in America, from the arrival of Richard Platt in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1638", on pages 28-29, questions the assertion of The Hon. Henry Clay Platt (in his 1876 centennial address at Huntington, NY) that Isaac's on Jonas had four sons, pointing out that HC Platt cited no authority and that Alrick Man, author of the unpublished "Descendants of Richard Platt" and a great grandson of Nathaniel Platt, one of the founders of Plattsburgh NY, called inconclusive.

Indeed, we can learn about Jonas Platt from the Will of his father, Isaac Platt, who died on July 31, 1691. Isaac's Will was probated on 22 October at Brookhaven, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York ( William S. Pelletreau, Early Long Island Wills of Suffolk County, 1691-1703 (1897), 51). In that Will, Isaac makes provision for the division of the residue of his estate as follows:
"Item—All the rest of my goods & chattels with ye valuation of buildings I give & bequeath amongst five of my children Jonas John Joseph Jacob & Mary to be equally divided amongst them after all my necessary charge is defrayed but if my son Jonas chance to die without lawful issue then his lands & meadows to be divided equally amongst the other three brothers".
From this residuary provision, we can infer that Jonas did not (yet) have any children, at least as of the date of his father' Will, i.e., May 22, 1691--when Jonas would have been 24 years old.

3/22/2020 at 11:38 AM

Manwaring: Probate record of Thwaite Strickland p 78 in original record. Inventory taken 21 June, 1670. Children: Elizabeth Andrews, age 23 years, John 21, Joseph 15, Jonathan 13, Ephraim 7 years. -- Manwaring, 1902

Thwaite Strickland However shows on geni with extra children, now detached. Can anyone find their correct families?

Jane Strickland

Rebecca Couch

Peter Strickland

3/22/2020 at 12:14 PM

Ah - they look to be children of Edmund Strickland and his wife Hannah.

6/26/2020 at 5:51 PM

I have a paper trail to Thwaite, but the man - or men? - is confusing. He clearly was there at the start of Dedham, Mass, 1635, but there is a record of him arriving in Mass in 1640. What's going on? https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=Zbh17&_phsta...

6/26/2020 at 5:59 PM

You’d want to check the source

COLKET, MEREDITH B., JR. Founders of Early American Families: Emigrants from Europe, 1607-1657. Cleveland: General Court of the Order of Founders and Patriots of America, 1975. 366p.

And compare with other citations.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion