(Reported)

Started by Dan Albert John Koehl on Friday, July 16, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 26 posts
7/16/2021 at 11:29 AM

It seems some children were allowed to edit this page, adding the false statement about "poisonous snakes", most adult knows they dont exist, but venomous snakes exists. Maybe an adult person can change this.

7/16/2021 at 2:58 PM

I don't think that the general public actually knows this. I know the difference because I am an Eagle Scout and worked in the nature department at a scout camp. I wouldn't be so condescending toward others...especially since you have some grammatical errors in your harsh statement.

7/16/2021 at 8:53 PM

Of course there are poisonous snakes!

7/16/2021 at 11:21 PM

You're arguing semantics about the manner of death of a man that in a broad sense never existed?

7/16/2021 at 11:53 PM

you are arguing about what the sagas is saying about the man. the Snake part and that of serpents is a big part of the Scandinavian lore... -- As for existing. Alex. If his children exist it would be odd if he did not. He was just not 10 feet tall and slayer of dragons but it does not make him non-existing. -- In historical circles, most identify him as Reginherus that raided in France and was paid to leave Paris in 845.
As for the actual translation from Danish, (Since he was Danish) the word Ormegård is where he died. That means translated a pit of worms, not snakes. We also in the lore have the Lindorm. That is the huge worm that lives in the water according to the stories. Some protect the land, others are malignant. -- So the translation would be better with serpent, but that is an uphill battle to get that implemented to the English translation.

7/17/2021 at 12:09 AM

So he was killed by a Loch Ness monster then? ;-)

J P Weyers
7/17/2021 at 1:14 AM

Danish ?
Did Denmark exist in 845 ?
Norse perhaps ?
When were these Sagas written actually?
Killed by a tapeworm infection perhaps?
Or fell into a cesspool and drowned in it - that would be a hole full of worns !
Yet his "brother " Rollo alive in 1010 ?
I do believe a few individuals merged as one in the mythical sagas written much later 12th or 13th centuries and we must be aware of that

J P Weyers
7/17/2021 at 1:19 AM

13 th century written to give prestige and credence to the Norwegian Royal House.

Written in Old Norse not Danish at all but from Iceland Anette

J P Weyers
7/17/2021 at 1:40 AM

According to biologists, the term venomous is applied to organisms that bite (or sting) to inject their toxins, whereas the term poisonous applies to organisms that unload toxins when you eat them. This means that very few snakes are truly poisonous. The vast majority of snake toxins are transferred by bite. One exception is the garter snake (Thamnophis), which is small and harmless in terms of its bite but is toxic to eat because its body absorbs and stores the toxins of its prey (newts and salamanders).

Poison Ivy ??
When it comes to plants, things get a little fuzzy. Several plants, such as deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna) and castor beans (Ricinus communis), are poisonous and thus should not be consumed. In addition, while plants do not have formal teeth, ankle spurs, or nematocysts, some have similar structures that can transmit toxins to unsuspecting victims that brush against them. One of the most familiar toxic plants is poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans); nearly all parts of the plant contain urushiol, a substance that can produce a severe itchy and painful inflammation of the skin known as contact dermatitis. Yet it would be quite a stretch to call poison ivy venomous (and anyway, we’d have to start calling it “venom ivy,” wouldn’t we?). On the other hand, nettles, a group of about 80 species belonging to the genus Urtica, might actually qualify as venomous. These plants have raised structures called trichomes that are capable of stinging animals that brush against them. In the stinging nettle (Urtica dioica), the trichomes of the leaves and stems have bulbous tips that break off when an animal passes by, revealing needlelike tubes that pierce the skin. They inject a mix of acetylcholine, formic acid, histamine, and serotonin, causing an itchy burning rash in humans and other animals that may last up to 12 hours. Granted, these toothlike (or needlelike) structures aren’t technically fangs, but they provide a very similar defensive function.

J P Weyers
7/17/2021 at 1:49 AM

Dan Albert John Koehl ---that brings me to the term " children " used ; anyone under 21 then or 16 ?

We also have common English use of poisonous ----------

This is now a can of worms !

7/17/2021 at 5:23 AM

Gange -"Rollo' Hrolfor Ragnvaldsson is NOT Ragnar Lodbroks brother that was artistic freedom on the show Vikings... He was William the Conquerors great great grandfather Rollo is mine and many of you Im guessing great grandfather he is my 33rd...

7/17/2021 at 10:36 AM

there only one known poisonous snake and it lives in America.

7/17/2021 at 2:33 PM

yeah, Africa/Asia/Australia and South and Central America would likely all disagree with only 1 poisonous/venomous snake. You can argue all you want about the difference between poisonous and venomous, 99% of the world doesn't know the difference and I'm sure that number was higher previous to the 18th century.

7/17/2021 at 3:30 PM

Truth is venomous and poisonous although technically not the same words are used frequently as synonymous. Even in scientific papers.

7/17/2021 at 10:38 PM

Perhaps he ate the can of worms in the pit and they turned out to be poisonous.

7/18/2021 at 6:04 AM

Geni is not a website with a prime intention of supplying desinformation;

Venomous snakes are often said to be poisonous, but poison and venom are not the same thing. Poisons must be ingested, inhaled or absorbed, while venom must be injected into the body by mechanical means. While unusual, there are a few species of snake that are actually poisonous. Rhabdophis keelback snakes are both venomous and poisonous – their poisons are stored in nuchal glands and are acquired by sequestering toxins from poisonous toads the snakes eat.[2] Similarly, certain garter snakes from Oregon can retain toxins in their livers from ingesting rough-skinned newts. Ragnar did not die because he ate the snakes. Please correct this error. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venomous_snake

7/18/2021 at 6:48 AM

Sharon Doubell genealogy is a science based on sources, verifying statements about persons. Have you found any source indicating the he died by eating the snakes? If not, it seems to me wasting time, by rising such speculations? But if you read somewhere that he was poisoned, then it would be intersting to know, and get a link where I can read about that.

7/18/2021 at 8:40 AM

Dan, we're teasing about the fact that his death story is part of mythology, not history, so not subject to the laws of science at all.
Forgive me - I will change - I had assumed that Anette had done it already.

7/19/2021 at 2:07 AM

Sharon Doubell there is no we in that sense. Every adult must take responsibility for their deeds, users on geni cant defend any errors by pretending belonging to a group, where this is accepted. But I notice that the error is corrected, thanks! :)

7/19/2021 at 3:29 AM

Dan, the we is me, Alex and Phillip - who were teasing you... all quite clear above.

The comments about adults and children are actually very smugly offensive, and the humour was our gentle way to alert you to that fact.

7/19/2021 at 8:15 AM

Dan, the only childish thing relating to this profile is the way that you are acting. It is a mythological profile. Mostly everybody in this world will confuse venomous and poisonous unless you've been educated for a very specific reason. As the Frozen song goes, "Let it go"

7/29/2021 at 10:44 PM

;-)

9/15/2021 at 6:22 AM

Кина Стоянова This is fake user?

9/15/2021 at 8:13 AM

Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson is my 32nd great grandfather.

9/18/2021 at 9:34 AM

Gange-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson
his son → William "Longsword"
his son → Richard I, 'the Fearless', Duke of Normandy
his son → Richard II "the Good", Duke of Normandy
his son → Robert I "the Magnificent", Duke of Normandy
his son → William "the Conqueror", king of England
his son

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion