Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 28 posts
Private User
12/3/2021 at 4:18 PM

Hello,

These profiles from the project overview have all been marked as isolated from the World Family Tree (which is great!):

Gaodhal Glas (Lebor Gabála Érenn)
Beli Mawr "The Great", {Fictitious, Mabinogion}
Odin, {Norse God}
Priam, king of Troy
Zeus

But I believe that means they probably shouldn't be listed as test profiles any longer?

Sincerely,
Ashley (who is apparently now a direct descendant of [[King David of Israel King David of Israel] King David] and [[Childéric I, King of the Franks Childéric I, King of the Franks] Childéric]...how fancy :))

I thought they were the main profile?

Sorry should have also said - where does it say they are test cases?

Private User
12/3/2021 at 4:57 PM

Project says, immediately before listing those profiles:

"You should have no path found to the following people. That is, you should not be a descendant and there should be no relationship path. If you do find a relationship, there is a problem somewhere in the tree."

But everyone is guaranteed to have no path now, since they're isolated. No point in people checking those.

12/3/2021 at 4:59 PM

If I recall correctly they are "Test Cases" in the sense that when looking at the profile there should be no connection to them. If at anytime you find you are linked to them then there is a problem with the WFT, while that's a lot less likely now with the Isolate tool in place it isn't impossible.
I haven't view the project for a long time but it is probably redundant in it's original purpose.

12/3/2021 at 5:13 PM

King David of Israel is your 19th cousin 71 times removed.

He was once listed as my grandfather, now he’s a cousin now. This can’t be possible.

12/3/2021 at 5:51 PM

Joseph Raymond Burke the Geni tree is in a constant state of flux so changing relationship paths (especially to such an ancient person) are the norm rather than an error.

That being said David is an extremely prominent figure in history and there are no proven lines of descent from him to the era, lots of living people are related to him (everyone on the Geni tree in fact) but no living people are his direct descendants. The onus for any one wanting to argue against this is for them to prove it, which no one can as it has been tried many times already but the evidence simply isn't there, if it ever did exist.

Here's another project related to the same broad topic https://www.geni.com/projects/Descents-from-Antiquity/12283

Private User
12/3/2021 at 6:14 PM

Yes, exactly, Alex (re: your first comment). Those profiles made sense to link as "testers" before we had the ability to isolate branches, but not so much now.

I'm not in this project, so it's all up to you. I'm just saying that as an "outsider," I clicked on all of those links as suggested, and I found myself wondering what the point was. :)

12/3/2021 at 6:24 PM

Yeah, we cross posted Ashley. I think you are entirely correct in everything you say but to be bluntly honest I am not interested to go around revising old projects. Like so many other tasks on Geni that would be a bottomless hole capable of swallowing all my efforts, as it is i'm supposed to be on the roof putting up xmas lights not talking to you :)

Private User
12/3/2021 at 6:35 PM

Fair enough. I can pull them out of the "About" for you and leave the others there.

You should be like the Australian embassy in D.C. and do the exact same lights every year for more than 50 years. Nice and simple. :)

12/3/2021 at 7:54 PM

My display gets less and less intricate each year. Although I am planning to invest in some new equipment at this year's Boxing Day sales (Australian equivalent to Black Friday sales).

Private User I read it a little differently.

I read it as more of an explanation to users that they shouldn’t be looking for have a link to the people / entities. Ie it is not possible to have a connection to Zeus.

So if I thought I was a descendant of Zeus - it explained that I couldn’t be.

More of an information thing rather than a technical thing.

12/4/2021 at 7:13 AM

King David of Israel is my 19th cousin 66 times removed.

12/4/2021 at 2:12 PM

King David of Israel is my 108th Great Grandfather.

12/26/2021 at 8:16 AM

hello i am a descendant of King David also if u havent looked into Laurance gauthers book he goes into great detail https://youtu.be/3IlCPB1TZ_c

my geneology line is as follows

David King Of Judah And Israel 1000-970
96th great-grandfather
Solomon King Of Israel And Judah 968-926
Son of David King Of Judah And Israel
Rehoboam Roboam King Of Judah 928-911
Son of Solomon King Of Israel And Judah
Abijah Abia King Of Judah 911-908
Son of Rehoboam Roboam King Of Judah
Jehoshaphat King Of Judah 868-851
Son of Abijah Abia King Of Judah
Jeboram Joram King Of Judah 851-843
Son of Jehoshaphat King Of Judah
Ahaziah King Of Judah 843-
Son of Jeboram Joram King Of Judah
Joash King Of Judah
Son of Ahaziah King Of Judah
Amaziah King Of Judah 799-785
Son of Joash King Of Judah
Uzziah Oziah King Of Judah 785-742
Son of Amaziah King Of Judah
Ahaz Achaz King Of Judah
Son of Uzziah Oziah King Of Judah
Hezekiah Hezkias King Of Judah
Son of Ahaz Achaz King Of Judah
Manasseh Manasses King Of Judah
Son of Hezekiah Hezkias King Of Judah
Amon Amots King Of Judah
Son of Manasseh Manasses King Of Judah
Josiah Josias King Of Judah
Son of Amon Amots King Of Judah
Jehohaz King Of Judah 609-
Son of Josiah Josias King Of Judah
Jechoniah Jehoiakin King Of Judah Hostage In Babylon
Son of Jehohaz King Of Judah
Shealtiel Salathiel
Son of Jechoniah Jehoiakin King Of Judah Hostage In Babylon
Zorobabel Zerubbabel Prince of Judah
Son of Shealtiel Salathiel
joanna johannan
Daughter of Zorobabel Zerubbabel Prince of Judah
Mattathias I Arama
Son of joanna johannan
maath
Son of Mattathias I Arama
Nagge
Son of maath
Esli
Son of Nagge
Naum
Son of Esli
Amos
Son of Naum
Mattathias II Temple Governor Tobias
Son of Amos
Joseph Temple Governor
Son of Mattathias II Temple Governor Tobias
Janna Johanan
Daughter of Joseph Temple Governor
Melchi Head of the sanhedrin Council
Son of Janna Johanan
Matthan
Son of Melchi Head of the sanhedrin Council
Jacob Patriatch
Son of Matthan
Joseph
Son of Jacob Patriatch
Jesus The Messiah NaN-73
Son of Joseph
Sarah NaN-69
Daughter of Jesus The Messiah
Queen Boudicca of the Celtic Iceni
Daughter of Sarah
King Coel I of Cama-lot Colchester
Son of Queen Boudicca of the Celtic Iceni
Llieffer Mawr King Lucius 170-
Son of King Coel I of Cama-lot Colchester
Eurgen
Son of Llieffer Mawr King Lucius
Catheloys Castellors
Son of Eurgen
Manael FRANKS
Son of Catheloys Castellors
TITUREL FRANKS
Son of Manael FRANKS
Frimutel
Son of TITUREL FRANKS
Boaz Anfortas
Son of Frimutel
Frotmund
Son of Boaz Anfortas
Faramud Lord of west Franks
Son of Frotmund
Fredemundus sire of the Franks
Son of Faramud Lord of west Franks
Prince Nascien I of the SEPTIMANIA
Son of Fredemundus sire of the Franks
Celedoin SEPTIMANIA
Son of Prince Nascien I of the SEPTIMANIA
Nascien II of the SEPTIMANIA
Son of Celedoin SEPTIMANIA
Chilpéric II, king of the Burgundians 450-493
Son of Nascien II of the SEPTIMANIA
Chlotilde 466-545
Daughter of Chilpéric II, king of the Burgundians
King Theuderic I Of Austrasia
Son of Chlotilde
King Theodebald D’Austasie
Son of King Theuderic I Of Austrasia
Carloman Of Landen
Son of King Theodebald D’Austasie
Pepin I Of Landen
Son of Carloman Of Landen
Begue Begge Of Landen
Daughter of Pepin I Of Landen
Pepin II The Fat Of Heristal
Son of Begue Begge Of Landen
Charles Martel King of the Franks
Son of Pepin II The Fat Of Heristal
Pepin III The Short King of the Franks
Son of Charles Martel King of the Franks
Charlemagne King of the Franks 748-814
Son of Pepin III The Short King of the Franks
Pepin, King of Italy 777-810
Son of Charlemagne King of the Franks
Bernard of Italy
Son of Pepin, King of Italy
Pippin Comte de Senlis, Peronne and St.Quintin 815-850
Son of Bernard of Italy
Herbert I of Vermandois 850-
Son of Pippin Comte de Senlis, Peronne and St.Quintin
Herbert II of Vermandois
Son of Herbert I of Vermandois
Robert of Vermandois
Son of Herbert II of Vermandois
Adele of Meaux 934-982
Daughter of Robert of Vermandois
Ermengarde-Gerberga of Anjou 956-1024
Daughter of Adele of Meaux
Judith of Brittany 982-1017
Daughter of Ermengarde-Gerberga of Anjou
Robert II *The Magnificant* Of Normandy 1000-1035
Son of Judith of Brittany
William the Conqueror 1028-1087
Son of Robert II *The Magnificant* Of Normandy
King Henry I 1068-1135
Son of William the Conqueror
Empress Matilda Of Normandy 1102-1167
Daughter of King Henry I
King Henry II Of England 1133-1189
Son of Empress Matilda Of Normandy
John Of Lackland King of England 1166-1216
Son of King Henry II Of England
Joan Plantagenet Lady Snowdon 1188-1237
Daughter of John Of Lackland King of England
Marged Verch LIewelyn 1202-1264
Daughter of Joan Plantagenet Lady Snowdon
Sir William De Braose Lord Buckingham & Bramber 1224-1291
Son of Marged Verch LIewelyn
Sir William Gascoigne Of Gawthorpe Knt. Valet Of The Crown 1366-1422
Son of Sir William De Braose Lord Buckingham & Bramber
Alice Gascoigne 1415-1493
Daughter of Sir William Gascoigne Of Gawthorpe Knt. Valet Of The Crown
Isabel Mirfield 1431-1488
Daughter of Alice Gascoigne
Jane Wentworth 1451-1522
Daughter of Isabel Mirfield
Oliver Wentworth 1489-1558
Son of Jane Wentworth
William Wentworth 1525-1574
Son of Oliver Wentworth
Christoper Wentworth 1556-1633
Son of William Wentworth
William WENTWORTH 1584-1690
Son of Christoper Wentworth
Edward WENTWORTH 1617-1682
Son of William WENTWORTH
William Wentworth 1649-1682
Son of Edward WENTWORTH
Elizabeth Wentworth 1676-1736
Daughter of William Wentworth
Margaret Smith 1716-1760
Daughter of Elizabeth Wentworth
James Holsworth 1743-1813
Son of Margaret Smith
James Holsworth 1795-1839
Son of James Holsworth
WILLIAM HOLSWORTH 1834-1911
Son of James Holsworth
William Holsworth 1871-1947
Son of WILLIAM HOLSWORTH
William Augustus Holsworth 1902-1990
Son of William Holsworth
Elizabeth Laura Holsworth 1934-
Daughter of William Augustus Holsworth
Arthur Nielsen 1958-
Son of Elizabeth Laura Holsworth
Kaitlin Nielsen
You are the daughter of Arthur Nielsen

Private User
12/26/2021 at 12:03 PM

1) Please don't SHOUT.

2) "Black and comely" was one of Solomon's paramours, possibly the Queen of Sheba, not Solomon himself.

3) All of this has nothing to do with real-world genealogy.

12/26/2021 at 12:11 PM

omg

Private User
12/26/2021 at 5:59 PM

Kyle, According to a Hebrew-English dictionary, the word "red" in Hebrew has the same letters as "Adam". The tradition [from a forgotten reputable source] I heard was that red earth clay was taken in the Genesis account to form him.

Eve would have had the same coloring. So in the end, the first family looked very Irish. Great story to save up for St. Patrick's Day!

Private User
12/26/2021 at 6:58 PM

Folks, if you're interested in discussing this, please do so through private messages instead of in this thread. Thank you.

Private User
12/26/2021 at 10:42 PM

OK, but it's still a great story for St. Patrick's Day. ;-)

12/26/2021 at 11:22 PM

Is it?

Private User
12/31/2021 at 3:38 PM

Following the links used by Kaitlin, I also should be able to trace my line back to David. However, no DNA matches on several sites have shown any Jewish DNA, just English, Scots, Welsh , some Germanic and Scandinavian DNA. Unless the hypothesis is that David and Jesus were not Jewish the hypothesis is clearly fallacious.

12/31/2021 at 5:18 PM

I have to admit that I am always curious when I find one of these religious, literary, or fictional profiles, for in many cases, I think that they have been convoluted to the point that we could never know the truth. (And no, I am not in any way besmirching someone's beliefs. Please do not interpret it as that.) What these profiles do is help me see where gaps can be in my tree. They also make me smile.

I am not and do not pretend to be a genealogist, a scholar of historical personages or master of time. I only know a bit about what I have really pushed hard to uncover - mostly in the Southeastern United States. Thankfully, my Finnish relatives have really been working hard to uncover sources and stories for the thousands of profiles here on Geni.

I am not much of a tree builder, but I admire them. I am a "sourcer", I hope, and I like to come behind tree builders and find the rare gems like last night's 4 men - a father who suppled with Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox throughout the American Revolution and his 3 sons who served in the militia who had no sources about much of anything on their profiles. I grew up with descendants of these men and they never spoke of it. They probably did not know of their family or if they did it was as I told someone of mine, "just assumed" that they were patriots of the Revolution as their family had been there since dirt. There were no airs put on about it and instead they inherited a humility that we all need to remember as we hunt for the truth.

I hate finding tree matches that have been dumped with no locations and sources. Those with no locations should be banned. Just venting here as that is a problem with some of this.

I wish more people would worry about the quality of the profiles of their first 6 generations and then see what they can do out further to improve the tree. Maybe that is asking a lot, but I think it would help. That includes adding census data, children, death and burial dates along with stories, accomplishments or in the case of some - failures. We are a people of all of those manifestations. I wish I could BOLDFACE the word STORIES. We need to tell more of them about our relatives. I just told one on my 2x great uncle's profile about his love of sweet potatoes. Someone in my family needs to know that someday. :-)

Most of us have lost some or many to the global pandemic these past two years. I have documented many from the !918 pandemic and from COVID 19. The just over 100 year span has not escaped my attention and sadness of the impact. Sadly, some of us have lost others to cancer, dementia, accidents, and a variety of causes. It has not been easy to mourn them properly. I am really not worried about whether my lines are cut to David. But, I am glad we are able to have this discussion. I am glad that my mother was able to see pictures of her great grandparents thanks to the connections I made on Geni in Finland before she died in October. It gave us all some peace.

As we head into the New Year, I bid you peace and light; truth and patience; love and hope. Susanne

12/31/2021 at 5:27 PM

Thank you Susanne, wise words. I also love sweet potatoes.

12/31/2021 at 6:33 PM

Alex Moes, go read the profile of my 2nd great uncle Leaman Pearly Floyd Uncle Pearl was a character and I have more stories to tell. He is also a bit of an enigma as I can find nothing on him after his mother died. We don't need to forget the people who have no children or who just pass through life with a smile on their face. I'm making sweet potato casserole tomorrow in honor of Uncle Pearl for New Year's collard greens and black-eyed peas. We eat the greens for green money and the peas for coins in the New Year. Happy New Year to all the Geni curators! I will eat plenty of greens and peas for you all!

12/31/2021 at 8:06 PM

Susanne Floyd — we are having collard greens and black eyed peas as well, though we also add cornbread for gold.

A happy new year, full of health and joy and prosperity, to all y’all.

12/31/2021 at 8:36 PM

I love the gold from cornbread and had never added that to the saying, though it will be a part of the dinner for sure, Anne Brannen. You cannot have greens without cornbread. Just saying.....:-)

Private User
12/31/2021 at 8:45 PM

Suzanne, great point about the stories. They illustrate the person in ways the records simply don't. As for unsourced profiles - I have stuff here, on Ancestry.com, and a couple of other places, so if you don't see it on the Geni profile, don't hesitate to ask! It may be squirreled away on another database and not visible here.

Thanks for the reminder about the collard greens!

Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion