Started by Heather (Fachet) Bond on Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 122 posts
5/26/2010 at 10:13 AM

hey all,
on a lot of my profiles i have found these included in the name, ie: Heather Middle Name Bond Suffix (not real, just for example).

I have to manually go in and edit each one to delete-- the Middle Name is usually in black type, but the Suffix is in gray. I thought that gray type meant that it was a "place holder," but when i click in the box and hit delete, it fixes the problem.
Is there a way to fix these errors without manually editing each profile?

5/26/2010 at 10:15 AM
Private User
5/26/2010 at 10:27 AM

Heather (Fachet) Bond
I have recently started seeing a lot of those "Suffix" profiles. I don't have any clue what's happening. I thought perhaps a manager was making notes to themselves and those notes were getting picked up in a merge.

If it's a Geni problem, I hope you can fix it -- the suffix is a great tool for keeping generations straight. And while you are looking at suffixes, I have a request -- please, pretty please can we have a "title" field where we can input Dr., Col, Maj., etc? If I'm searching for John Wisenhimer and the only other profile for him is Col. Wisenhimer, the match may not come up, unless I just search under Wisenhimer and then I get 20 or 30 Wisenhimers to sort through (just a made up name -- not really looking for any Wisenhimers).

Private User
5/26/2010 at 10:39 AM

I am seeing these too. I hope it's a wierd GEDCOM that we're cleaning up, rather than a Geni bug...

5/26/2010 at 1:28 PM

I, too, have been seeing them. I'm ignoring them for now...hoping someone is focusing on data conflicts will fix them. I'm focused on stack merging right now...

5/26/2010 at 1:43 PM

I have seen them as well. While doing merge completions in that area and if they are on top, I am editing the profile to get rid of them. Then I merge and check again.

If it ends up as the bottom one, I have to edit the profile after the merge is done.

Kevin

This has been an issue for about two weeks. Geni now knows about it and promised a fix.
http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=65361

5/26/2010 at 4:37 PM

thanks!

5/29/2010 at 11:51 AM

I saw this today for the first time...

5/29/2010 at 12:02 PM

This has now been fixed, meaning field titles such as 'suffix' are no longer being saved when you edit a profile. Unfortunately we don't have any way to fix the bad data that was created while this was an issue. We'll all just need to clean it up as we come across it.

2/28/2023 at 5:46 AM

How is better presented in display name? Is it better to be hidden? Is it better to show first letter?

6/28/2023 at 5:17 AM

Would a Geni administrator or a curator please explain
to Geni member, Oleg Volter that the computer numbers
he insists on placing on the Geni display name profiles do
not belong in the profile page.

#351150 Johann Jacob Andres
Ukrainian: 351150
Birth: April 16, 1869
Fuerstenau Molotschna
Death: September 10, 1927 (58)
Mariawohl Molotschna
Immediate Family:
Son of Jacob Andres and Katharina Andres (Reimer)
Husband of #351151 Katharina Andres (Dick)
Father of 683199 Johann J. Andres; 351152
Heinrich J. Andres; 683201 Peter J. Andres; Katharina Andres;
683205 Cornelius Andres and 4 others
Brother of Elizabeth Andres; 225829 Susanna Dick (Andres);
Justina Dueck (Andres); Peter Jacob Andres; Elizabeth Andres and 3 others
Half brother of Jakob Andres; Maria Wiebe (Andres); Agata Andres; Peter Andres;
Johann Andres and 9 others

Added by: Oleg Volter on January 10, 2018
Managed by: Oleg Volter

That is where he places them. The computer calls them inconsistencies,
I call them annoying. I am trying to clean up the profiles for the ancestor's of German's from Russia.
I am a 3rd generation American on my paternal side and have many ancestors and relatives that are
in these profiles.

In the beginning Oleg Volter did a very good job in creating the profiles. However, he went beyond being
helpful. These numbers do not belong on the profile display name page. He doesn't understand this or
refuses to.

They are neither suffix or titles.
Some examples of suffix are:

Knight, Colonel, Major, Deacon
Some examples of titles are: Senior and Junior, or Roman numerals indicating birth order.

The proper place for the computer numbers that Oleg Volter has been adding are to be placed in
the about section of the profile or they can be placed on the working page in the box for 'also known as'
they are not to be placed in the display name.

I have attempted to explain this to him but he has blocked me, when I make correction,
he goes back in the profiles and re-adds the numbers again.

When I remove these computer numbers and place the numbers in the proper area,
the word inconsistencies disappears.

The profiles are aesthetically pleasing in appearance, also. Geni guidelines state
that the names of individuals are the only names to be placed in the display profile
name box. I hope some one will be of help in this matter. Thank you so very much
@Janet Milburn (Schultz)
6/28/23

Private User
6/28/2023 at 10:19 PM

Janet Milburn (Schultz) - as a generak rule, nothing should be put in the Display Name Field.

Putting anything in the Display Name Field interferes with people's choices in Name Preferences.

Please go thru and delete all places where you have entered anything in Display Name. Let Geni autu-fill that for each person acvording to their Name Preferences

---

Knight, Colonel, Major, Deacon are examples of Titlex
Senior and Junior, or Roman numerals indicating birth order are examples of Suffixes

This is an example where the numbers were switched to the AKA field: Johann Jacob K Andres
I have no idea what the numbers are or why they are used. I would think they make more sense in the Title Field than in the Also Known As field. But I am not sure they should be used at all.

Private User - can you explain what those numbers are?

Private User
6/28/2023 at 10:47 PM

Кожна людина має ідентифікаційний код. Він допомагає не плутати профілі з однаковими іменами.
Багато злиттів відбувається тільки через те, що користувач побачив однакові імена.
Запитайте з цього приводу Rosella Margaret Dyck
Бо не не перша дискусія щодо суфіксів.

Щодо Janet Milburn (Schultz) - це бот. Не має статі, народження і місця проживання. На її фото зовсім не людина.

Private User
6/28/2023 at 11:12 PM

Private User - it is absolutely not required that anyone enter any info about themselves that they choose not to enter.

Title comes before the name, suffix comes after. Your numbers were in the Title Field, not the Suffix Field. Possibly that is a Google Translate problem,

Rosella Margaret Dyck - can you explain more about the numbers and why they should be acceptable on Geni?

6/29/2023 at 1:39 AM

I’m adding a translation so I can help.

Each person has an identification code. It helps not to confuse profiles with the same names.
Many merges happen just because the user saw the same names.
Ask Rosella Margaret Dyck about it
Because this is not the first discussion about suffixes.

Regarding Janet Milburn (Schultz) is a bot. Has no gender, birth or place of residence. Her photo is not a person at all.

6/29/2023 at 1:51 AM

Private User - I’m a geni volunteer curator. What languages do you have? Would you like me to google translate into Ukrainian?

See about Geni curators:

https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229706727-What-are-Curators-

https://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-Curators/9960

I’ve known member Janet Milburn (Schultz) many years. You experience her as a bot because you blocked her.

https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229704467-How-can-I-block-a...

I suggest you unblock her. She is only trying to help you.

This is not correct:

Private

This is correct:

Johann Jacob K Andres

We do not use reference numbers in name fields on Geni.

Everyone has the problem of keeping similar named people separate. We use Master Profiles to help with that.

See: https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229704047-What-is-a-Master-...

To request a MP (Master Profile), post on the discussion:

Curators: Please make this profile a Master Profile
https://www.geni.com/discussions/217560?msg=1410848

Private User
6/29/2023 at 4:17 AM

Розблокував.
Нічого не змінилось. Якась гаргона на фото. Не має статі, народження та місця проживання.

6/29/2023 at 4:58 AM

Janet Milburn (Schultz) - do you have Private User blocked? Can you check, and if so, unblock? Thank you.

She doesn’t have a personal photo but she shows a beautiful tree image, her name and gender.

6/29/2023 at 12:49 PM

It is possible to add a user defined field, the numbers could be placed in such a field.
As far as I know those fields are not shown on the match screen, so I'm not sure that would help to avoid all bad merges, but it may help in recognizing them.

6/29/2023 at 3:09 PM

Job Waterreus - thank you. I do think “add a field” data (from the basics tab) is visible in a merge compare screen, but we can double check. For me, it’s the best place to enter Reference Number data.

6/29/2023 at 3:13 PM

Private User - just to clarify. Janet was “not” entering anything in the display name field. She was moving reference numbers to the “also known as” field, which is a decent choice, and should show in the merge compare screen.

Private User
6/29/2023 at 4:08 PM

Erica - sending you a PM.

6/29/2023 at 6:08 PM

I just checked.

If you “add a field” to a profile, and then compare it with another profile in the “merge compare” screen, it will show.

So there is no reason to use title field, suffix, name, display name, or even “also known as” for a reference number.

I find reference numbers useful myself, so I hope this helps members become more aware of this feature in Geni.

A link in profile “about” or an uploaded document can make it clear what the source of the reference number is.

Private User
6/30/2023 at 11:31 PM

Дякую, я вас почув.
Всіх цікавить тільки зовнішній вигляд профілів, і нічого більше.
Згода, я видалю профілі, які вам не сподобаються. Це буде не бистро. Якщо хтось знає, як швидко видалити 96737 профілів, підважить.

Після підриву росіянами Каховської ГЕС з під води відкрились багато кладовищ.
Але щоб не дратувати Janet Milburn (Schultz) обіцяю, не буду сюди додавати нові профілі.

7/1/2023 at 1:34 AM

Thanks, I heard you.
Everyone is interested only in the appearance of profiles, and nothing more.
Agreed, I will delete profiles you don't like. It won't be quick. If anyone knows how to quickly delete 96737 profiles, please let me know.

After the Russians blew up the Kakhovskaya HPP, many cemeteries were opened from under the water.
But in order not to annoy Janet Milburn (Schultz), I promise I will not add new profiles here.

7/1/2023 at 1:36 AM

No, that’s not what we’re looking for.

Private User your research is very good and very important.

We just want to move the references numbers to a reference number field.

Is that OK? We will help. Maybe we can write a query.

Where do the reference numbers come from?

Private User
7/1/2023 at 3:06 AM

Вибачте, я не витримав та покидаю цей проект.
Janet Milburn (Schultz) багато років довбає мене з приводу цих номерів.
Номер - це посилання на джерело інформації про цю людину.
grandmaonline.org

Я багато років просив Гені зробити місто для номера, тільки щоб його було видно у дереві. Марно. Нічого не зроблено.

Ми домовились з іншими учасниками, зазначати # перед номером у профілях, які вже вивірене і не потребують додаткової уваги. Це в десять разів пришвидшує роботу. Оскільки бачимо, що цей профіль повний, а цей треба доповнювати.
Коли профілів не багато, можна дивитися у кожний і шукати, чи є там номер.
Коли профілів тисячі, передивлятися кожний не вистачить часу.

Допоможіть мені їх швидко видалити.

7/1/2023 at 5:02 AM

Google translate

Sorry, I couldn't stand it and I'm leaving this project.
Janet Milburn (Schultz) has been pestering me about these numbers for years.
The number is a link to the source of information about this person.
grandmaonline.org

For many years I asked Genie to make a city for the number, just so that it would be visible in the tree. In vain. Nothing is done.

We have agreed with other participants to indicate # before the number in profiles that have already been verified and do not require additional attention. This makes work ten times faster. Since we see that this profile is complete, and this one needs to be supplemented.
When there are not many profiles, you can look at each one and search if there is a number there.
When there are thousands of profiles, there will not be enough time to look at each one.

Please help me to remove them quickly.

Private User Please don’t leave. We can automate, create a project, and make your project available to everyone in the best possible way. We’ve done that before with important research that should be permanent and accessible.

I’m going to ask Geni support for their help. Is Russian a comfortable language for you?

7/1/2023 at 5:35 AM

I think the translation is not correct, it should probably be

For many years I asked Genie to make a location for the number, just so that it would be visible in the tree. In vain. Nothing is done.

So showing the number in tree view

Showing 1-30 of 122 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion