Announcing Curators

Started by Noah Tutak on Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 121-150 of 150 posts

I am worried about the merge possibities on the yellow triangle here... on Thomas Rogers, MP http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000011081894609?resolve=6...
If you go to fix and merge, it comes up with parents: father Thomas Matthews, and someone other than Eleanor Lyne as mother... I do not want to merge incorrectly. Can someone check on this please? It plainly says on the MP that Thomas Matthews is not the father of Thomas Rogers Mayflower passenger, and yet it is sitting there waiting to be merged incorrectly, in my merge tab.

Sally Thomas I fixed the parents for you.

Thank you, Heather....

There also seems to be a problem with this merge... dates?
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000008746527861?return=duplic...
Should I merge this? or not... ?

Angus, what do you think about this? What should be done, do you think?
If you have time could you take a look and see, Please?
http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000004009554522?return=duplic...

Sally, I merged the first one-- i think the death date was a typo. I'll leave the second one to Angus. :-)

Sally I just found this..

This discussion was created to introduce the concept of 'Curators' If you need help from the Curators please use the following discussion..
http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793?msg=621477

I will post your question over there and continue the discussion there.

Virginia

For the profile you posted -- there's no curator and no Jenna?

It shows to me as:

Added by: Virginia Diane Labbe/McClure on February 1, 2011
Managed by: Virginia Diane Labbe/McClure, and Kristen B. Kramer « less

Anna Martin (Herr)

Birth: 1700
Switzerland
Death: 1727 (27)

With those dates it would be outside your family group anyway (for most of us - 4 generations up I think?)

Maybe there's something else going on?

Private,I did look at this and I can't see at any point that Jenna could have done so.

You are the only Administrator and Profile is public.
If you got message you have no permission, sounds to me you have a bug with that profile.
Add your help request at http://help.geni.com, and I'm sure Geni will help you out.
But please don’t blame others before you have facts, because is no way Jenna could block you on this profile.

I rather like that we help each other out than posting blame, but that’s me

Did check a bit more and it is no one within family group of this profile so is no reason why you can't edit it since you are admin and added by you.

Btw, I said "You are the only Administrator" I meant "You are the main Administrator"

I just looked at the profile too and it's public and there is no curator. Maybe it changed since you posted Virginia?

Anyway, I can understand your frustration, given that you are the 5th great granddaughter of this woman's husband. That is close family by my estimation :)

Jenna by the way is the most agreeable of curators so if she did anything, it was not meant to harm anyone.

Here is a suggestion for Curators or whoever does the deleting. Put yourself as main manager along with the other person that you were going to delete. Here is a problem that happens and I dont know if anyone thought this through to the end of cause and effect of deleting.

When you delete a person connected to the profile, it not only blocks their path to their ancestors but it also blocks others path to their ancestors. People that have been relying on that person in their family group and collaboration.

And what if they come back after being sick in the hospital and find all their profiles have been deleted under their name. I understand the zombie problem, but I dont understand why their name and connections have to be removed. You as curators should have the power to put your name on it without deleting the person that put it on the tree in the first place.

This will also become the same type of problem if their is a switch so that only curators or Main profile managers are on the profile and all other managers are taken off. Not all collaborate or are family members with all Curators. So it would also block their paths to ancestors.

These are not critisisms, just suggestions to make it smoother for all on the tree,

I like that they now put the dates, it makes it a lot easier when one is trying to determine the correct parents . ie: differienciate between a parant and a grandparent, One knows that a parent is not going to be 50 years younger than a child.

Again, I am still working on data conflicts, so that their will only be one in a stack. I use the main profile as my guide for the correct information. All 15 others are trying to merge in. I hope this is helping to finish merges and clearing the board of frustrations.

Peace and joy in genealogy

gini

Hi, would somebody be able to help to remove Sir Henry Cholmondeley Fairfax, 4th Lord Fairfax of Cameron as the father of Frances Fairfax? Her correct parents are Henry Fairfax and Anne Fairfax - Sir Henry Cholmondeley Fairfax, 4th Lord Fairfax of Cameron is a distant cousin and not her father. Everytime I try to assign new parents for her I'm told it will split the tree! Not sure how as Sir Henry Cholmondeley Fairfax, 4th Lord Fairfax of Cameron is still related to her.

Thanks

@caroline done

Thank you!

Let me know if I can help….

Can I just point out that the thread for this discussion seems to have slipped from being 'introducing curators' to being more like I just point out that the thread for this discussion seems to have slipped from being 'introducing curators' to being more like http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793 "Attention Curators please assist"

It's about time. I've had to deal with several discrepancies that have been added to my tree. Thankfully they were not too bad, and were easily fixed.

I'd like to add a family name. How to do that?
Barbara wolf

It's me again, Barbara Wolf. The name I'd like to add is Albert Offutt Winship, from Indiana and Phoenix, AZ. Born 1902, died 1944. Went to Stanford University, a businessman in Phoenix with his father.

Add where?

I just have a Basic membership at the moment, but I have a question concerning duplicates. I have found a good number of duplicates of Adam and Eve in my tree, I'm sure because of all the recent merges I've had. Should those duplicates be merged?

Also, I have found a large number of duplicates of other profiles, again I'm sure because of all the recent merges. Either that or someone just wasn't a bit concerned about their duplicates. I'm afraid of trying to stack those duplicates, because I don't know the trees or the profiles well enough to feel any sort of confidence in getting rid of those duplicates.

Can someone give me some advice on both of these issues?

Most Sincerely,
Sylvia M. Hertel

(No Name), Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן is our Adam and Eve expert - he's stacked up hundreds of for those profiles already; I'm not sure he wants to merge the rest or just have them float off into the aether. If they're attached to the Big Tree, they need to be either merged or cut off - but merging should be done by someone who's expert in the line.

With other duplicates - if the profiles are an exact match (same name, same parents, same spouses, same children), stack them. If you have *any* doubt about whether those are the same, don't. (And check for curator notes - some profiles have been mismerged many times!)

Mismerges are hard to undo; the conflicts created by stacking those you are sure about will attrackt people who know more about the line. Don't worry that you can't fix all the problems; that's why it's a collaborative tree!

sylia im merging dozens of copies of adam and eve most of your duplicates should be cleared up

Thank you Harold and Jason. I've just been leaving them alone, thinking someone better qualified should be taking care of them. If I stack any profiles, they will be perfectly exact, other wise I won't touch them.

Very Sincerely
In Our Lord
Sylvia M. Hertel

How can I find my Grand Fathers Birth Certificate in Italy if I don't know what town he was born in ... But I do know where he lived and where his Ship left port on Italian Coast? I also want to find any Long Distant relatives still living in Italy. ... How is this possible ?

I'm finding it difficult to know exactly when to merge files. I have noticed some individuals have already merged theses new files that have no managers into the tree. However, I think we were told to hold off on merging these files until further notice. But, I admit, it's hard for me to keep up with the many discussions here on Geni. I'm trying to get better but do find it hard to keep up with multiple changes at any given time. I like to participate when ever possible when building our larger tree. Therefore, is why I like to contribute by merging files interact. I think we all should contribute in someway, so too we feel a part of this daily community. And this is why, I feel strongly about contributing to this site and it's the very least I can do for all the hard working curators. Each of you work very hard and I'm appreciative of this hard work. I wished there was a way to organize the discussion board better. I find it hard to keep up with daily. If there was a merge holding center discussion board, that had it's on heading within the discussion board, I think it would be better to control, send and keep up with files before actually completing these files. Only when files are completed then merge into the main line.. I would love to hear from each of you on how you each keep up with each merge file. Again thanks for all you do on Geni

Rev Deacon Laura J Kelson

Here is the discussion about profiles with no manager
https://www.geni.com/discussions/155354?msg=1082633&page=1
We curators have been told to go ahead and merge them but everyone else should just ignore them for now.

We're merging as fast as we can. In certain areas of the tree, such as in pre-Revolutionary America, where you work Rev Deacon Laura J Kelson, there are a lot of duplicates.

I have been merging nearly without stopping since May 3 :) Mostly my family lines (Baldwin, Bruen, Seely, Camp) as well as related lines (White, Wheat, Fray, Risley) and many many more.

The curators are doing what they can, we all just have to be patient for the time being and ignore them as Eldon said.

Showing 121-150 of 150 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion