Started by Sharon Doubell on Sunday, February 6, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
2/6/2011 at 11:32 PM

Hi everyone. Fred Bergman has just asked me to update Pepin II
Pépin ll "the Fat" d'Héristal, Mayor of the Palace of Austrasia
and I see he has 'Carolingian' in the maiden name field.
Have we decided where we want that to go (now I think about it, it makes sense there - especially if that becomes the Birth Household Name field - which I predict?! it will), and whether we want it renamed as Caroling?

Sharon

2/6/2011 at 11:45 PM

PS - I see my sentence is a bit ambiguos: Pepin is the 'he' who has Carolingian in the maiden name field; I don't think Fred necessarily put it there.

2/7/2011 at 2:01 PM

One important consideration: "Carolingian" is an adjective, not a name. The same is true of "Merovingian". The noun forms "Caroling" and "Meroving", which might otherwise be an interesting alternative, are unfortunately Latinate constructions from a later period. Do we need to have non-contemporaneous dynastic names attached to individuals?

Private User
2/7/2011 at 3:55 PM

Personally, I don't need Carolingian, or merovinigian, or whatever, in the ruling king's (Queen's) name. They're fairly obvious to me. I do like them in the princes, as they transition to duc's, and in the princesses as disambiguation.

I don't think anyone called them carolingians while they were on the throne, just like we don't call Elizabeth II of England a Windsor, just her children, grandchildren, and sister....

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion