Priorities- Profile Cleanup - Removing Married Names

Started by Private User on Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 121-135 of 135 posts

I realy cannot understand why this has become an issue. I think and believe that the purpose to use maiden names in the genealogy especially in family trees are to connect / link the spouses family tree/s to those of her husbands and descedents That also makes it easer to trace ancestors of related family trees.

hallo mauritz verskoon tog. ek wil my boom ook "aan die kant maak"
ek sien nou eers al die goed, maar kon niks lees nie, eks te besig met werk. is dus dus net die afhaal van die getroude van van alle dames?
dis seker nie te moeilik nie, ek sal mar direk inprop by die server om dit te doen. dankie moedhou

Just to understand correctly - we should take out ONLY the married surname of any deceased females but leave in their MAIDEN surname?

Please do not delete any accurate information that has been entered by another user. Geni will soon release a new system for names that will allow for alternate names to be entered and displayed. Please be patient.

Charmaine - This thread is about South African surnames only. - by the way, someone really should change the name of this thread title already.

You should keep doing whatever method you currently are using, but soon, "maiden name" field will be renamed "birth name" and there will be some sort of automated tool to switch the data for those Geni users still using data from old genealogical software that imported "maiden names" as "last names"

I was under the impression that because the original post was what sparked the uproar about removing information from profiles it was to be removed/deleted/withdrawn? It surprises me that it is still here and still causing confusion.

Me too.

Me too

@Stephen Thomas Bice
There is no current mechanism to change/edit the title of a discussion or the title of a project.

My posting : Generally the married woman's name is not used in genealogy (as far as I am aware), It is far easier for someone to locate a "missing" person if they know the original surname, or that woman would be lost in the "crowd". Now that's my two cents worth.

Love u all as always !
D
x

Oh yeah .. and please can everyone utilise cap spellijng for surnames .. far easier to locate in the masses. Also a generally used term in genealogy.

@deiree Maria BRAITHWAITE the battle for capitalising Surnames has already been fought and lost on Geni I'm afraid. It is considered as Shouting and unneccessary on the computer however you can select the option in your Tree view preferences.

As a late-comer to reading this discussion, I just wanted to observe that some of the issues discussed (e.g.: use of married names vs birth names, and the capitalization of surnames, etc.) are argued almost solely from the viewpoint of "serious genealogy".

It is worth keeping in mind that there is an aspect of Geni which has to do with "social networking" -- i.e.: connecting living relatives. From that viewpoint, people want to search for and view names of living relatives as they are "commonly known by" -- and that may not be consistent with genealogical conventions.

Accuracy of data? Of course. But also anything that encourages the "casual genealogist" (which is virtually everyone with a Geni account, perhaps) to provide and maintain accurate information.

Before another wave of people get confused, can someone change the title of this thread to be "South African Surname Discussion"

This thread only applies to people from South Africa.

Noah Tutak Is it possible to remove this discussion now? Done and dusted?

Showing 121-135 of 135 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion