Profiles who's death predates photogrphy

Started by Randy Stebbing on Friday, April 29, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
4/29/2011 at 2:32 PM

These 2 profiles currently have photo's attached but the profiles death's pre-date photography.
--Randy

William Young died in c. 1747.

Dr. Joseph Young died in 1769.

4/29/2011 at 2:49 PM

This profile John Hayden Young, Sr. currently has a photo attached to it that is not his but is in fact a cropped section of an 1866 photo of 5 of his son's.

Source of correctly attributed photo: http://lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/controllers/potcController....#

4/29/2011 at 5:45 PM

I have set a different photo for John Hayden Young, Sr. and made it the default - is this more correct?

I also added the source info to the caption for the photo of the 5 sons.

I have also made that profile a Master Profile.

For the other two Youngs, maybe an email to the profile managers would be more appropriate an action?

4/29/2011 at 5:54 PM

The profiles manager just agreed to be my collaborator so I'll work with him to get the anachronistic photos removed.

4/29/2011 at 6:01 PM

It's good that you drew attention because John Hayden Young needed to be made an MP anyway.

Private User
4/29/2011 at 8:13 PM

William Young's photo appears to be a Civil War era uniform. Someone probably lifted it from a much later William Young. These are such common names, it would be easy for a thoughtless or inexperienced manager to make the mistake.

As Erica said, thanks for catching these. We had a big problem a few months ago when someone was seriously upset because photos were put on profiles before photography was invented. I surely don't want to go through that again!

5/17/2011 at 9:13 PM

Here is another one. The profile death date is 1830 which predates 1839. Either the death date is wrong or the attached photo isn't him.
Moses Packer

I'm contacting the manager to see if he knows more.
--Randy

Private User
5/18/2011 at 3:29 PM

The image of Moses Packer is from a family heritage book (Page shown in document section of profile) and appears to be a picture taken of a portrait. This likeness is widely shown in ancestry .com, millennium, etc. and therefore I am not at this time willing to remove the image.

Private User
5/18/2011 at 4:22 PM

That's certainly no photograph of a portrait painting. Even his manner of dress indicates a much later date.

Private User
5/22/2011 at 11:39 AM

This image of Moses Packer from the document about his history was also submitted by Kim Lavar Groneman prior to my merge. Perhaps, he can shed more light on how the picture was added to the original artical of Moses's son about his heritage.

Private User
5/27/2011 at 8:59 PM

Private User?

Private User
5/28/2011 at 6:54 AM

Kim was last online in February. Hopefully he hasn't abandoned Geni, will see the discussion and answer your questions.

6/29/2011 at 5:05 PM

I ran across this website recently that deals with accurately dating early photographs for family history purposes and thought I'd share the link:

Quoting form the website:
"...These photos are the highest quality and most interesting images in the PhotoTree collection. Many of them include confirmed dates of origin. Compare these to your 19th century photographs to help determine when a picture was taken..."

http://www.phototree.com/index.html

Private User
6/29/2011 at 6:12 PM

Randy Stebbing - This site is worth its weight in old photos - thank you so much!

Private User
6/29/2011 at 9:31 PM

Randy, what an awesome site! Thank you for sharing.

11/21/2014 at 9:14 PM

Susannah Mosley
Took me lessthan 10 minutes Is this right and Geni Wrong?

11/22/2014 at 8:39 AM

Bill ... I'm not sure what your question is; would you explain a bit more, please?

12/2/2014 at 4:42 PM

Birth death link to find a grave information

12/3/2014 at 7:50 AM

Bill: There seem to be some genealogical issues about the Susannah Young profile. Let's take those to a discussion under her Discussions tab...

12/3/2014 at 12:26 PM

thanks Dan

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion