Angus Main Page
Historic County of Scotland
This is the Umbrella project for Angus
People Connected to Angus Still to come
Angus Genealogical Resources
- Scottish Gaelic Aonghas
- Administrative centre Forfar
- Chapman County Code - ANS
- Famous for:
- Angus is known as the birthplace of Scotland. The signing of the Declaration of Arbroath at Arbroath Abbey in 1320 marked Scotland's establishment as an independent nation. It is an area of rich history from Pictish times onwards
- Landmarks and Places of Interest
- Area - 2,302 Sq.km (889 Sq.mi)
- Population 2010 est. - 110 600
- Succeeded by Tayside Region
- County Flower - Alpine Catchfly - Lychnis alpina
Angus was historically a county (known officially as Forfarshire from the 18th century until 1928, when it reverted to its ancient name) until 1975 when it became a district of the Tayside Region. In 1996, two-tier local government was abolished and Angus was established as one of the replacement single-tier Council Areas.
The former county had borders with Kincardineshire to the north-east, Aberdeenshire to the north and Perthshire to the west. Southwards, and Fife across the Firth of Tay. The boundaries of the present council area are exactly the same as those of the old county minus the City of Dundee.
Originally called Forfarshire, it included the burghs of Arbroath, Brechin, Broughty Ferry, Carnoustie, Dundee, Forfar, Kirriemuir, Monifieth and Montrose, and the inhabited islands of the Bell Rock, and Inchbroach (or Rossie).
North West are the Braes of Angus, a group of spurs of the Grampians, intersected by romantic glens; in the South West, 8 miles from and parallel to the Firth of Tay, are the Sidlaw Hills; between the Braes of Angus and the Sidlaw Hills is the fertile valley of Strathmore (Great Valley) or Howe of Angus; from the Sidlaw Hills to the coast on the East and South the land is level and highly cultivated. From Dundee to Arbroath the coast consists of sand; from Arbroath to Lunan Bay it is formed of sandstone cliffs, culminating in the Red Head.
The Main rivers
- Isla, a tributary of the Tay,
- North Esk and South Esk, which flow SE. to the North Sea.
- the Grampian,
- the Strathmore,
- the Sidlaw
- the Maritime.
Notable historic sites
- Arbroath Abbey
- Glamis Castle,
- Arbroath Signal Tower museum
- Bell Rock Light House.
- Arbroath, the largest town
- Forfar, the county town and administrative centre
- Bridge of Craigisla
- East Haven
- St Vigeans
There is no definitive list of parishes. Over the decades they have merged, divided, been renamed and had changes made to their spelling. The following list is based largely on the situation at the time of publication of the New Statistical Account (1834-1845).
- Barrie (Barry),
- Cortachy and Clova,
- Eassie and Nevay,
- Inverarity (Methy),
- Inverkeilor (Inverkeillor),
- Lethnot and Navar (Invergowrie),
- Liff and Benvie,
- Logie Pert,
- Oathlaw or Finhaven,
- St Vigeans,
( ) denotes alternative name or spelling
If you have Angus connections please join the project.
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!