Scope of Project
To build a single, validated and documented shared family tree for the Barnes families, from earliest origins to near modern times.
How to Participate
- Send a request to collaborate on this project and I'll add you as a collaborator. If the profile is a public profile you have edit rights to, then navigate to the profile and under "More Actions" choose "Add to project."
- Free free to edit this page. Click here for instructions about using Wiki markup language.
Please add the earliest known ancestor to this list.
- Brinsley Barnes (1715-1796), of the Quaker faith, who emigrated from Ulster County, Ireland to Chester County, Pennsylvania, approximately 1640.
- tags are based on the categorization scheme at Wikipedia.
- For more about resourcing and a listing of general genealogical resources, see Resources
- Barnes DNA Project by Larry Bowling
- Barnes DNA Project at Family Tree DNA
- From Scotland to Barnes Mountain
- Laneta's and Chuck's Site
- Tryon Petition
- The Regulators Movement in the Carolinas
- Descendants of John Isaac Lindley
The Geni Master Profile
- See Naming Conventions for notes on historical periods that may be within scope but not covered below.
Make sure the name fields of the Master Profiles include first name, middle name, last name, maiden name if known, otherwise blank, suffix for Sr., Jr., etc. In the display name field only add titles such as Gov. or Dr. preceding.
FN Reuben MN (blank) LN Coffin MN (blank) Display name is Captain Reuben Coffin
The United States did not exist until 1789 and the United Kingdom was formed in 1707. Please be careful about using autocomplete. It is better to use the "place" field and type out the place name. Use place names such as England and South Carolina and spell out the country name with historical accuracy.
Colonial America: Charleston, South Carolina
It makes it easier to read a profile if the "about me" information is filled out in this fashion:
- (vitals, summary)
- example profile: Stephen Hopkins, "Mayflower" Passenger
- Future releases of the Geni Project module will create a dynamic library of downloadable media for profiles associated with the Project.
-- The media tab of the MP should be used for documentation files. Websites, biographies, census reports, image files -- the richer we make the profile, the more historically and genealogically accurate and meaningful it will be.
-- Adding a source validates the MP, and creates a "timeline" for each life represented by a profile. The more information we add, the more detailed and accurate.
-- Original source data includes: birth certificates, census reports, immigration records, ship rosters, obituaries, marriage licenses ....
- For more about sources, please see Sources
- Citation data (MLA format is good) should be noted for each source. If someone else can't replicate research, it's not acceptable.
- Instant citation makers on line:
Please insert in alphabetical order by last name of author, and provide URL link if available online
- Barnes, Mick Warren E. Descendants of Brinsley Barnes 1713-1795 & Elizabeth Lindey along the lineage of Williard Howard Barnes 1907-1974 & Ethel Garnell Davis 1907-1946. Publisher: [S.l.] : Mick Warren E. Barnes, 1998.
- find in a library