Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Project Tags

view all


The Execution of Barreiro by a Firing Squad

The execution of Jose María Barreiro Coronel Jose Maria Barreiro Manjón took place in Santa Fe de Bogotá, October 10th, 1819. The city of Santa Fe, which had recently been freed from the Spaniards, lives moments of great tension. Vice President Francisco de Paula Santander is at a meeting since early-morning hours with the governing board. The street where the Spanish officers were held captive after the Battle of Boyacá is surrounded by numerous troops and gossiping bystanders. At 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon, October 9th a group of Franciscan Monks with their hoods concealing their faces enter the prison and inform Barreiro and other officers imprisoned that they have been sentenced to death by order of the Vice President and that they come to hear confessions and give last-minute acquittals.

The largest collective execution that had ever taken place at the main square of Bogotá. Twenty-six (26) Spanish officers, Five (5) Granadians, Five (5) Venezuelans, One (1) Ecuadorian, One (1) Guianan and One (1) Puerto Rican make up the group of convicts. Barreiro led the group of Spaniards and Francisco Jiménez the group of Granadians. This chronicle seeks to show who was the 25-year-old man who spear headed the group to be sacrificed, as well as expose the circumstances experienced in Santa Fe de Bogotá in those days of 1819, that led to the horrible events that took place on that fateful day.

Although the Battle of Boyacá has been sufficiently documented by expert historians, it seems only fair to emphasize the personality and the little experience of Colonel José María Barreiro Manjón Coronel Jose Maria Barreiro Manjón, the commander of the Spanish Army in charge of the Third (3rd) Division, east of New Granada. Barreiro was then only 25 years old and was by far the least experienced of the Spanish commanders that Pablo Morillo Mariscal de Campo, Teniente General, I conde de Cartagena,​ I marqués de La Puerta, Pablo Morillo y Morillo, (H.M.R.) had. This inexperience and contemptuousness of Barreiro's were decisive in the triumph of the Liberating Army of Colombia, and decisively helped Bolivar Simón Bolívar, El Libertador y 3er. Presidente de Venezuela gain the upper hand in the final victory against his opponent.

Profile of General Barreiro

Born in Cádiz on August 20th, 1793, Barreiro had entered Segovia Military College as a teenager. He went on active duty at age 15, to oppose the invasion of Napoleon in 1808. He was taken prisoner by the French and released 2 years later. In 5 years he made a short career, fighting in the war of independence against the French (Peninsular War) and training in the artillery craft, rapidly ascended to Lieutenant and then to Captain. In 1815, newly appointed Lieutenant-Colonel, he was invited to be part of Pablo Morillo's expedition to reconquer the New Granada and Venezuela.

Barreiro Coronel Jose Maria Barreiro Manjón gained the trust of Morillo and served him in several positions, until finally being appointed as head of the local government and province of Cumana in late 1817 (Colonel Juan Aldama and Governor of Caracas, Salvador de Moxó y Quadrado had been shamefully sent back to Spain after over-exerting their authority, and also General Francisco Tomas Morales, Francisco Tomas Morales Guerra had been found at fault by Morillo with respect to these issues of abusive behavior, so he too was relieved temporarily from duty). In January 1818 he received the appointment of Commander of the Third Division of the Army of H.R.H. King Fernando VII, and was placed in charge of the defense of the entire east of New Granada (western Venezuela today).

The following is an excerpt what Morillo told the Minister of War in Madrid:

<< Reduced at not having any worthy officers to whom to avail myself for the vast responsibilities entrusted upon me, I have arranged for the young Colonel, a Graduate of the Royal Artillery Corps, Don José Barreiro, to take charge of the command of the Third (3rd) Division.

This chief, who has commanded the stronghold and province of Cumana with the greatest of success, is adorned with the best qualities, and has been credited in previous campaigns for his quality, knowledge and action, circumstances that have forced me to recommend him to his Majesty on several occasions. I am persuaded that Colonel Barreiro will be worthy of my trust, and that he will work with the zealousness and intelligence that has always characterized him in the command of the said Regiment (Third (3rd) Army Division)>>.

Barreiro was at that time just 24 years old and was appointed his first military command. For the next year-and-a-half he had to deal with containing the growing guerrilla of the revolutionaries in Casanare and prepare for the impending invasion from those plains.

During those trying months he contracted malaria and other diseases. Despite his academic training, it was very difficult to control the entire eastern mountain range, because it was not known where the revolutionary army would enter from (the Liberating Army). Not being able to concentrate their troops in one place weakened the Royalist army considerably.

In the absence of concrete results from Barreiro, Morillo and Sámano began to doubt the young commander, accusing him of indolence and apathy. Desperate Morillo at the inexorable advance of the insurgents, he decided on July 12th, 1819 to appoint veteran General De La Torre I Conde de Torrepando Miguel Luciano de la Torre y Pando as commander of the Third (3rd) Division and relieve young, inexperienced Colonel Barreiro. In a letter from Calabozo, he says the following:

<< Colonel Barreiro, General Commander of that Division, has allowed (due to his indolence and lack of foresight) the rebels in Casanare to gather and multiply, leaving them to meet and organize at will under Santander, their ringleader, who came from Guayana carrying weapons and ammunition, while the dry season passed and the time of the rains and floods arrived, which was when he chose to go down to the plains (Llanos). I have heard nothing of Barreiro for many months now and I don't know what reasons he may have for such reprehensible silence about matters and circumstances of such importance. I hope word will come to us of him soon before it is too late.>>
Juan José Francisco DE SÁMANO Y URIBARRI DE REBOLLAR Y MAZORRA, Juan de Sámano, Virrey de Nueva Granada

Fortunately for the independence of Colombia the trip from Venezuela was long, the arrangements for mobilization of the soldiers slow and difficult and the war was also complicated, so De La Torre could never relieve Barreiro from command.

On the other hand, the Viceroy Sámano, on July 3rd, 1819, also decided to change Barreiro and appoint in his place Colonel Sebastian de la Calzada, a 49-year-old war veteran, who had been christianed by the fire-and-blood of many battles. Sámano informed Barreiro: << I have arranged for Colonel Don Sebastián de la Calzada, General Sebastian DE LA CALZADA, who presented himself to me yesterday at dusk, to go out tomorrow and place himself at the helm of the Third (3rd) Division. Said Colonel, together with the strength of the Third (3rd) Division, must seek and attack the enemy head-on and if, as I hope, he manages to destroy and chase the enemy away, please inform the Colonel to immediately and without delay return to this Capital where I need his presence>>.

On July 6th, when Calzada arrived in Tunja, Barreiro did not accept his forceful substitution and asked to be left in office, protesting thus:

<<Your Excellency: At half past eight tonight, Colonel Don Sebastián de la Calzada General Sebastian DE LA CALZADA arrived in this city and sent me the dispatch of your Excellency Number 151. Its content has caused me the greatest surprise and I could not help but guess that your Excellency, knowledgeable of the great ailment that indisposed me, assumed I would be in a state of not being able to expose myself to the rigors of the season; …. May I be allowed to represent your Excellency. I am the Commander General of the Third (3rd) Division, duly appointed by his most gracious General Lord in Chief of the Army (Morillo) and approved by his Majesty H.R.H. King Fernando VII, and as such, no other than your Excellency can override the orders His Majesty has decreed>>.

Barreiro slipped to Samano a statement of his own inexperience:

<<I cannot imagine that the intention of your Excellency was to appoint my successor in command (Colonel Calzada), because of my inexperience on the battlefield; it is true that I have had few, but enough to present myself to the front of the enemy lines and die in the fulfillment of my duties, if need be ...>>

Again, in hindsight, for the Independence of Colombia, the disobedience and contempt of an inexperienced 25-year-old commander Barreiro was a godsend, wielding relief of command of the powerful Third (3rd) Division from the 49-year-old military veteran, Calzada. The young officer's capriciousness was decisive, at a time when the invasion of Bolívar, Santander and Anzoátegui was ominous. Sámano had to resign himself to face the revolutionaries with his most inexperienced commander.

The Sweeping End Run of the Liberating Campaign to Boyacá

While the Spaniards quarreled over the supreme command, the Liberating Army traversed the Pisba Pass. On July1st they began the ascent and on July 6th they were all in the town of Socha, ' where they were well received by the villagers and general inhabitants. Sporadic fighting began on July 10th, at Peña de Tópaga and Gameza, culminating with the Battle of the Vargas Swamp ' on July 25th, 1819 as the most important of the month.

Barreiro described it as a great victory (for the Royalists, which it wasn't), although he recognized the value of the llaneros and the famous charge led by J.J. Rondón, Coronel Juan José Rondón Delgadillo, Procer:

<<The reserve column was ordered to flank them and the cavalry to charge them into the gorge where they were being forced to retreat, their destruction was inevitable and so complete that not one could have escaped death. Such state of despair inspired them a resolution without example: their infantry and their cavalry coming out of the chasms in which they were, climbing up those hills with great fury; our infantry, which because of the excessive heat of battle and steepness of the position they were at was disorderly, could not contain their forces>>.

New Granada's Liberating Campaign Map

During the following days, Bolivar, just turned 36, won the strategic war against young Barreiro on several occasions. The highlight of his strategy was the taking of Tunja on August 5th, 1819, Barreiro's headquarters and stronghold until a few days before. Barreiro, destabilized, had to go out on forced marches to seek communication channels with Bogotá, again. His troops had to walk through the Paramo de Combita, almost without food and rest, to reach the town of Motavita on August 6th.

At 4 o'clock on the morning of August 7th, 1819, the Spanish Third Division left Motavita heading towards Ventaquemada, looking for the Royal Road (Camino Real) to Santa Fe. Bolívar detected the maneuver around 10 o'clock in the morning in Tunja and gave orders to “destroy Barreiro wherever he may be”. The Liberating Army had seized all of Tunja's royalist armament, park and munitions and the soldiers were well fed. The column of the Liberating Army was 3 kilometers in length along its march.

The Battle of Boyaca

Francisco Jiménez, Colonel Francisco Jiménez, H.M.R. in charge of the Royalist avant-garde, first arrived at the “Casa de Teja”, construction near the bridge over the Teatinos River, or Puente de Boyacá (Boyaca Bridge). Seeing that the revolutionaries had not passed, he ordered to serve lunch to his tired and hungry troops. Barreiro was half-an-hour away behind them. Colonel Sebastián Díaz, a member of the chief-of staff's of Barreiro, Coronel Sebastián Díaz, H.M.R. covered the rearguard. Without the Spaniards having finished their lunch, the patriots attacked them.

At two o'clock in the afternoon the battle began, the 27-year-old General Santander Francisco de Paula Santander y Omaña leading the vanguard, the 30-year-old Colonel Anzoátegui General José Antonio Anzoategui, the rearguard. In two hours they had totally destroyed the Third (3rd) Division of the King's Army. Captain José Maria Ruiz helps Anzoátegui take 1,600 prisoners, along with all their weapons, supplies and baggage. At the battlefield, over 100 casualties on the Royalist side, including Colonel Juan TOLRÁ, Colonel Juan Tolrá, H.M.R. and Commander Salazar. Over 150 wounded, On the Patriot's side, 13 were killed in action, among them the Chaplain of the vanguard, Fray Ignacio Díaz, Capellan (Fray) Miguel Ignacio DIAZ, Procer Neogranadino, and 53 were injured. Louis Henry George Mayne Major Louis Henry George Mayne, MD. was one of the surgeons who served in this campaign, and would most probably have had to take care of many of them.

Barreiro Prisoner

The Spanish army completely scattered, his cavalry on the run, Barreiro was left alone and isolated from his companions. In the late afternoon, soldiers Pedro Pascasio Martínez, 12, Pedro Pascasio Martínez
and Negro José doing reconnaissance in the area found two (2) Spanish officers who were hidden in a cave near the river. These Patriot soldiers confronted the Royalist officers, Pedro Pascasio with a spear and Negro José with a rifle. The Royalist officers tried to defend themselves with their swords, one of them was killed by Negro José and the other received several stabs with the spear from the child soldier.

When the Royalist officer saw himself lost, he offered the boy soldier a small sack gold coins he carried in his belt, in exchange for his freedom. Pedro Pascasio Martínez did not accept the offering and took him in custody to the “Casa de Teja”, where General Bolívar was. There he told him he had a prisoner.

-<< Who are you? What's your name ?!! >>- Bolivar asked. - << "I am Commander General Barreiro">>, - replied the Royalist officer.

At the response of Barreiro, the cavalry soldier Salvador Salcedo, Sgto. de Caballeria Salvador Salcedo who was present at the place at the time, (the first who crossed the Boyacá Bridge), wanted to kill him. Quickly reacting, the Liberator prevented him from doing this with a shout and immediately gave the order for Barreiro to be placed with the other prisoners. He ordered that he be treated with special considerations and saluted him as an officer, so as to show the commander of the enemy army the full honors and respect he deserved as a high-ranking officer.

Bolívar slept that night in Ventaquemada, along with the rest of the army and all the prisoners of the Spanish army. In the morning, among the Spanish prisoners, he recognized an old face amongst the people that had been taken prisoner: Francisco Fernández Vignoni, who had betrayed him in Puerto Cabello back in 1812, and had him immediately hanged by the eaves of a house's roof for treason. A little while later, they led Barreiro down that same road, when he saw the body of Vignoni swaying in the wind. Barreiro shuddered and commented that it seemed horrible. When they explained who it was, he said: <<then he makes a pretty fine hanged man….>>

In Gachancipá, Bolívar and Barreiro met again. Bolívar invited him to have lunch with him and asked about his family in Spain. Barreiro told him that he had a brother, but that he was the only support of his mother, whom he hoped to see "after the court-martial to be held on me for sustaining this defeat." Gral. Pedro BRICEÑO Y MÉNDEZ, General Pedro Briceño Méndez, prócer a member of Bolívar's chiefs-of-staff told him not to forget that Bolívar himself had decreed the “War-to-Death” years before. Barreiro fell silent.

The Spanish Flee from Santa Fe
Viceroy Juan Sámano's House in Bogotá

It's August 8th, 1819, 8 o'clock at night in Santa Fe. On the cobbled street of the “Camino Real” the busy stamping of the hoofs of horses from a group of riders coming from the north can be heard. Manuel Martínez de Aparicio, Manuel Martínez de Aparicio, assistant to the Commander of the Third (3rd) Division of the King's Army and Juan Barreda, Commissioner of said Division, accompanied by other Spaniards, have come galloping 28 hours straight from the battlefield of Boyacá. They hurriedly go to Calle de la Rosa to the Palace of the Viceroy (now Carrera 4 No. 10 - 18 of Bogotá).

Terrified, Juan Sámano receives the news of the defeat of the Third (3rd) Division north of Santa Fe de Bogota, that had occurred on the afternoon of the previous day, on the bridge over the Teatinos River, on the “Camino Real” to Santa Fe. At 9 o'clock that evening, Sámano wrote to Morillo:

<<After having helped the General Commander, Don José María Barreiro, by all means available to prepare against the rebel invasion: given him money, munitions, troops and whatever he has asked for, at this time, when it is nine o'clock at night, and his assistant, Mr. Manuel Martínez de Aparicio, Manuel Martínez de Aparicio and the Commissioner of the Division, Don Juan Barreda, are here with the infamous news that the Division has been entirely defeated and that the enemies were in Ventaquemada on the same day of the action, which was yesterday, August 7th,…. therefore, I must go out tonight to save the very few remaining infantry troops that I have left in this Capital, retreating along the path of Popayán >>.

During the rest of the night Sámano, and his assistants packed what they could and took with them the funds that were available at the House of Mint in Bogota (that is, whatever they could carry). At midnight a Royal Court was convened, which began to meet at 3:30 a.m. in the early morning of August 9th, ultimately authorizing the Viceroy's trip:

In the city of Santa Fe, on August 9th, 1819, the viceroy, president, regent and other members of the Royal Audience and the Royal Chancellery of the Kingdom, including the Lord Chancellors, were in extraordinary agreement of justice, and said the following: <<The Ministers of this Royal Audience have been verbally warned, now that it will be 3:30 in the morning, that the Third (3rd) Division of the peacekeeping army that guarded this kingdom has been entirely defeated by the rebels two-days journey away from this Capital and that, not being safe (for the Viceroy) to stay in it, his Excellency will have to leave at the said time for destinations where it may be convenient, in order to provide the means to defend the kingdom ... ... in order to avoid humiliation to the Representative of His Majesty and personal harassment of his Ministers, making H.R. Majesty fully aware from the first point possible of such an extraordinary and unexpected event.>>

Sámano left Santa Fe at 5 o'clock in the morning using the Honda road as his escape route. The Viceroy, aged 66, knew the fate that awaited him were he to be captured, since he had been responsible for the Terror Regime, under which martyrs such as Ms. Policarpa Salavarrieta Rios, Gregoria Apolinaria "Policarpa" Salavatierra Rios and many other patriots had been shot. At 7 o'clock in the morning August 9th, the city was awakened by a dreadful rumble: Colonel Sebastián Calzada, commander of the local garrison, set fire to the Aserrío powder store and before the arrival of Bolívar's forces left with his troops towards Popayán, via Neiva and Ibagué, covering the rear guard of the Viceroy now in full-fledged retreat. The members of the Royal Court left for Cartagena, as did many other Spaniards, both civilians and military alike.

During the rest of the day, Santa Fe lived a total chaos, with authorities and Spaniards fleeing the city, officers arriving at full speed from the battlefield, prisoners fleeing from prisons, creating a state of total anxiety among the 40,000 inhabitants that at that time lived there in that city.

Entrance of the Liberators to Santa Fe

On August 10th the entire city already knew about the Spanish defeat and prepared to receive the victorious troops. Meanwhile, Bolivar slept in Chocontá on August 8th and on the 9th arrived in Tocancipá. On Tuesday, August 10th, 1819, at 6 o'clock in the afternoon, he entered Santa Fe by himself, parading along the streets and squares filled with people charring his arrival.
Entrance of the 3 patriotic chiefs in Santa Fe de Bogota, August 12th, 1819

On August 9th, the entire column of troops along with the prisoners, headed by Barreiro, left Ventaquemada. They slept that night at Villa Pinzón. On the 10th, 11th and 12th they traveled along the royal road (Camino Real), arriving at Usaquén at noon, where a large crowd was waiting for them. For the final 10 kilometers to the main square they were flanked side-by-side by the entire town. At the end of the afternoon of August 12th, Bolívar, Santander and Anzoátegui met in the main square, where the three (3) Heroes of Boyaca merged into an effusive embrace.

On August 21st, in a formal ceremony in the main square, Santander and Anzoátegui were promoted to generals of division. On September 11th, Santander was appointed Vice-President of the Free Provinces of New Granada (by the II Congress gathered in Angostura, Venezuela, then fully in session). On September 18th, the first military parade commemorating the Battle of Boyacá was held, on Calle Real, between San Diego and the Plaza Mayor, headed by these three (3) chiefs, followed by all the troops. On September 20th, Bolivar left for Angostura, leaving Santander in charge of the government.

The Tragic End of Colonel Barreiro

The 39 officers captured and more than 1,000 soldiers taken prisoners, were held captive in a building known as Las Aulas. A few days later, the officers were transferred to the barracks, a house located diagonally to the north tower of the Cathedral. While Bolívar was still in the city, the treatment of the officers was friendly and several historians agree that Barreiro received visitors and was well treated, since he was aesthetically pleasing and breaking hearts among the women of Santa Fe. On September 8th, Bolivar proposed a swap of prisoners to Sámano, in a letter that seems he never received. Bolivar also suspended the so-called War-to-Death he had decreed in the town of Santa Ana, Trujillo, in 1813.

When Bolivar left Santa Fe, the situation had radically changed. There were more than 1,000 prisoners and in charge of them a few inexperienced soldiers, as the rest had left with Bolivar and the other commanders. It was decided to shackle all the officers and many of the soldiers, initiating them into a brutal treatment. The atmosphere began to thin out. When Barreiro detected the change in the situation, he asked for an interview with Santander, since all the prisoners knew about the exchange of prisoners proposal. This interview was denied several times. He then sent the Vice President all his masonry badges, as Barreiro knew that Santander was too a mason. To this, Santander replied: <<the Homeland is above Masonry>>.

On October 9th, the square where the officers were held captive was surrounded and the free passage of the public was prevented. At 4 p.m., a group of Franciscan Monks entered the prison and informed Barreiro and other officers that they had been sentenced to death by order of the Vice President and that they came to hear confessions and give acquittals. Barreiro told the Franciscans: <<I gullibly let myself be deceived by trusting in the generosity of these insurgents, but they are in their right to act accordingly. Only the memory of my beloved mother saddens me at this hour ...>>

The Execution

Twenty six (26) Spanish officers, Five (5) Granadians, Five (5) Venezuelans, One (1) Ecuadorian, One (1) Guianan and One (1) Puerto Rican made up the group of convicts. Barreiro led the group of Spaniards and Francisco Jiménez the group of Granadians.
Plaza Mayor de Bogota

Before 7 o'clock am, October 10th, 1819 they called the first four (4): Barreiro and Antonio Plá, Spaniards, Jiménez and Antonio Galluzo for the Granadians. They were the most important prisoners according to rank. When they saw themselves on the verge of death, they fell to their knees and asked for the last acquittal. The four (4) condemned convicts made their way through the middle of a large, openly hostile crowd, towards the main square. They were placed where the Courthouse is today, ready for execution. Barreiro wore a blue dolman with embroidings, part of his old gala uniform, the other prisoners, typical attire. When facing the soldiers, Barreiro shouted: << Long live Spain! >> and immediately was shot at close range, the fulminating blast totally destroying his skull. He had completed his 26 years of existence on August 20th in prison. The other three (3) prisoners also died instantly from a similar fate.

They began to take the prisoners in groups of 4 by 4, in a slow ordeal that lasted three (3) long hours. When the bullets began to be scarce and the aim of the rifles started to fail, a terrible situation took place with the Spanish Lieutenant Bernardo Labrador. None of the shots that were supposed to kill him hit on target. He then asked for a coup de grace, but instead they gave him a bayonet thrust in the chest. He then grabbed himself on a hand-to-hand fight with the soldier who had wounded him and the troop fell on top of him and he was massacred in the most horrid way with multiple bayonet blows. A Spanish civilian who was a bystander witnessed and protested of the massacre, Juan Francisco Malpica, General Santander also ordered him shot on the spot. At 10 o'clock in the morning the main square was full of blood, with over 39 lifeless bodies, almost all had been sacrificed with shots at point blank range and bayonet thrusts. They were taken to a mass grave in the Santa Fe Main Camp, near the current Sabana Station.

The biographer, Gerhard Masur in his book on Bolivar says:

<<Santander impassively watched the executions from the door of the Government Palace, but his pleasure in the bloody spectacle was thwarted by the manly and dignified conduct of Barreiro. Santander later contended (as an excuse for the massacre) that the officers had constituted a fifth column within the Republic, but could not present any proof of his accusation, and the only reason that can explain his actions that day was his desire for revenge. There is little doubt that the thirty-nine officers died in memory of the blood shed by un-avenged martyrs such as Camilo Torres, Camilo Clemente Torres y Tenorio, Presidente de las Provincias Unidas de la Nueva Granada, Francisco Jose de Caldas, Francisco Jose Caldas, Mártir de la Independencia and the many other innocent people that the Spaniards had shot. Santander later topped the ignominy of this horrible action by asking Bolivar to forgive him. Bolivar could not do this, but he reluctantly accepted the unrelenting facts. He considered Santander's action as a serious mistake, which put in jeopardy Colombia's international prestige. In reality, cold-blooded executions were judged severely abroad, whatever their reasons.>>

It is clear that the Spaniards had been cruel and bloodthirsty during the Terror Regime that had thrived during Juan Samano's administration. Barreiro himself had followed Samano's instructions to execute without mercy the guerrillas and rebels they captured. But here the situation was different and amnesty rules should have been followed, a degree of civilization should have been committed to, respect for human life beheld above all. The first important act of the Vice Presidency of Santander did not correspond at all with his pompous nickname: “The Man of Laws”.

Ref: _________________________________________________________________________________________

Project created by P.L. Baldo on August 07th, 2019 2:18 HRS ARR


La Batalla de Boyacá (7 de agosto de 1819). El libertador Simón Bolívar tomó posesión de la ciudad de Tunja el 5 de agosto de 1819, luego de la Batalla en el Pantano de Vargas, interfirió las comunicaciones de los realistas en cabeza del coronel José María Barreiro. El coronel ordenó a su ejército emprender el camino hacia la capital en la mañana del 7 de agosto, desde Motavita iniciaron su camino hacia Santafé de Bogotá, con el objeto de buscar al virrey Sámano y organizar un frente militar contra Bolívar y el ejército libertador. Cuando estaban transitando en el Puente de Boyacá, advertido de tal noticia, Bolívar ordenó a su ejército acudir al puente de Boyacá, para impedir a Barreiro su desplazamiento hacia la capital granadina.

En el momento en que los dos bandos coincidieron en el puente de Boyacá, el ejército libertador conformado por 2.850 combatientes al mando del general Simón Bolívar, con ayuda del general Francisco de Paula Santander y la retaguardia, el general José Antonio Anzoátegui. Las tropas patriotas estaban compuestas por venezolanos, granadinos y ciertos extranjeros; sus integrantes eran criollos, mestizos, mulatos, zambos, negros e indígenas, generalmente gente pobre, catalogados por las autoridades españolas como insurgentes. El ejército tuvo mucho apoyo de los campesinos de Tunja.

Por otra parte, el ejército realista contenía 2.670 soldados, de los cuales 2.300 eran de infantería, 350 de caballería y 20 de artillería. En comparación al ejército libertador, tenía conocimiento en las armas y la táctica de la guerra, este pertenecía a la tercera división del Ejército Expedicionario de la Reconquista, comandado por el coronel José María Barreiro; jefe del estado mayor, el coronel Sebastián Díaz, y la vanguardia estaba comandada por el coronel Francisco Jiménez.

En un acto sorpresivo y bien organizado el general Francisco de Paula Santander inició con la vanguardia el combate, obligando a la vanguardia realista retroceder hasta el Puente de Boyacá, hasta la orilla opuesta del río Teatinos. En aquel momento, llegó el resto de la división de Barreiro, enfrentándose a la retaguardia patriota comandada por el general Anzoátegui. Se necesitó de una hora para que la acción militar fuera intensa. Simultáneamente se llevaban a cabo dos combates: uno alrededor del puente por las vanguardias y el otro en la planicie por el ejército raso. Las fuerzas patriotas tenían una ventaja en las comunicaciones; en cambio, las realistas estaban incomunicadas.

Horas después, el coronel Barreiro siguió combatiendo, tratando de darle cuerpo a su infantería, pero la rapidez de las tropas patriotas lo impidió, por ello, la retaguardia realista, cercada por todas partes, no tuvo más opción que rendirse. Así mismo, se rindió la vanguardia ante la fuerza militar de la patriota, al mando de Santander, considerado el ‘Héroe de Boyacá’. La batalla culminó a las 4 de la tarde del 7 de agosto de 1819. La guerra dejó un saldo de más de 100 realistas muertos, incluyendo al coronel Juan Tolrá y el comandante Salazar, y 150 quedaron heridos. En el bando patriota murieron 13 soldados, entre ellos el capellán de la vanguardia, Fray Ignacio Díaz, y 53 quedaron heridos.

El 8 de agosto, salió a la luz pública el Boletín Nº 4 sobre la Batalla de Boyacá, redactado y expedido por el general Carlos Soublette. En suma, el Libertador dictó el decreto conocido como la Orden de Boyacá, en el que realizó una exaltación a todos los batallones y escuadrones que participaron en la memorable batalla, y a los que entregaron su vida en el campo de batalla por la causa. Con este suceso importantísimo para la patria, se cerró el ciclo de la Campaña Libertadora de 1819, que inició en el momento en que el Libertador Simón Bolívar expuso su plan ante los Setenta jefes del ejército patriota. Comenzando la acción militar desde los Llanos de Casanare, pasando por la Cordillera de los Andes y las tierras de la antigua providencia de Tunja, hasta desembocar en el Puente de Boyacá.

Podemos afirmar que la Batalla de Boyacá fue la piedra angular de la independencia del norte de Suramérica, que permitió los triunfos de las batallas de Carabobo en Venezuela, Pichincha en Ecuador y Junín Ayacucho en el Perú y Alto Perú o Bolivia, respectivamente. Gracias a la batalla de Boyacá, los territorios actuales de Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador y Panamá, pudieron constituir la gran nación americana conocida como la Gran Colombia, que existió hasta 1930.

Otro de los aportes de este acontecimiento bélico- político, fue el impulso que generó para lograr establecer los liderazgos en el proceso de independencia. En suma, luego de aquel momento surgió una suerte de unidad en gran parte de la población bajo un tímido sentimiento nacionalista y un ideal independentista. Fue esencialmente, tras este suceso que las figuras de Bolívar, Santander y los otros próceres de la independencia tomaron importancia y fueron motivo de admiración para las personas que habitaban estos territorios.

El fusilamiento de Jose María Barreiro en Bogotá
10 de octubre de 1819. La ciudad de Santa Fe, recién liberada de los españoles, vive momentos de gran tensión. El Vicepresidente Francisco de Paula Santander está reunido desde horas de la mañana en consejo de gobierno.  La calle donde permanecen prisioneros los oficiales españoles capturados en la batalla de Boyacá está rodeada por numerosa tropa. A las 4 de la tarde, un grupo de monjes franciscanos ingresa a la prisión y les comunica a Barreiro y demás oficiales que han sido condenados a muerte por orden del Vicepresidente y que vienen a oír confesiones y dar absoluciones.

Se avecinaba el más grande fusilamiento colectivo que haya  vivido la plaza mayor de Bogotá. 25 oficiales españoles, 5 granadinos, 5 venezolanos, 1 ecuatoriano, 1 guayanés y un puertorriqueño conformaban el grupo de condenados. Barreiro encabezaba el grupo de españoles y Francisco Jiménez el de granadinos. Esta crónica busca mostrar quien era el hombre de 25 años que encabezaba el grupo de los fusilados, así como fueron las circunstancias vividas en Santa Fe de Bogotá en aquellos días de 1819.

El perfil de Barreiro

Jose María Barreiro
Aunque la Batalla de Boyacá ha sido suficientemente documentada por expertos historiadores, me parece que les ha faltado destacar la personalidad y la poca experiencia del coronel José María Barreiro Manjón, comandante del ejercito español. Barreiro tenía entonces 25 años y era, por lejos, el menos experimentado de los comandantes españoles con que contaba Pablo Morillo. La inexperiencia y el orgullo de Barreiro fueron decisivas en el triunfo del ejercito libertador de Colombia.

Nacido en Cádiz el 20 de agosto de 1793, Barreiro había entrado desde niño al Colegio Militar de Segovia. Pasó al servicio activo a los 15 años, para oponerse a la invasión de Napoleón en 1808. Fue hecho prisionero por los franceses y liberado 2 años después. En 5 años hizo una corta carrera, luchando en la guerra de independencia contra los franceses y formándose en el arma de artillería, ascendiendo rápidamente a teniente y luego a capitán. En 1815, recién nombrado Teniente Coronel, fue invitado a formar parte de la expedición de Pablo Morillo para reconquistar la Nueva Granada y Venezuela.

Barreiro se ganó la confianza de Morillo y le sirvió en varias posiciones, hasta finalmente ser nombrado como encargado del gobierno de la plaza y provincia de Cumaná a finales de 1817. En enero de 1818 recibió el nombramiento de comandante de la Tercera División del Ejercito del Rey, a cargo de la defensa de todo el oriente de la Nueva Granada. Así se lo comunicó Morillo al Ministro de la Guerra en Madrid:

Reducido a no tener jefes ningunos de quien valerme para las vastas atenciones que me rodean, he dispuesto que el coronel graduado del Real Cuerpo de Artillería, don José Barreiro, pase a encargarse del mando de la tercera división.

Este jefe, que ha mandado la plaza y provincia de Cumaná con el mayor acierto, está adornado de las mejores cualidades, y se ha acreditado en las anteriores campañas por su valor, conocimientos y actividad, circunstancias que me han obligado a recomendarlo a su majestad en varias ocasiones. Estoy persuadido de que el coronel Barreiro corresponderá dignamente a mi confianza, y que trabajará con el celo e inteligencia que siempre ha manifestado en el mando de la expresada división.

Barreiro tenía en ese momento apenas 24 años y recibía su primer mando militar. Durante el siguiente año y medio debió ocuparse de contener la creciente guerrilla de los revolucionarios y preparar la inminente invasión desde los llanos. En esos meses contrajo paludismo y otras enfermedades. A pesar de su formación académica, le quedaba muy difícil controlar toda la cordillera oriental, pues no se sabía por donde entraría el ejercito revolucionario. El no poder concentrar sus tropas en un solo sitio debilitó de manera considerable al ejercito realista.

Pablo Morillo
Ante la falta de resultados concretos de Barreiro, Morillo y Sámano comenzaron a dudar del joven comandante, acusándolo de indolente y apático. Desesperado Morillo por el avance de los insurgentes , decidió el 12 de julio de 1819 nombrar al veterano General La Torre como comandante de la Tercera División y relevar a Barreiro. En carta desde Calabozo, le dice lo siguiente:

El coronel Barreiro, comandante general de dicha división, ha dado lugar con su indolencia y falta de previsión a que los rebeldes en el Casanare se hayan fomentado, dejándoles reunirse y organizar bajo cierta forma que les dio el cabecilla Santander que vino de Guayana con armas y municiones, mientras pasaba la buena estación y llegaba la época de las lluvias e inundaciones que fue la que eligió para bajar al Llano. Nada sé de este jefe hace muchos meses e ignoro qué motivos pueda tener para tan reprensible silencio sobre asuntos y circunstancias de tanto interés.

Juan Sámano
Afortunadamente para la independencia de Colombia el viaje desde Venezuela era largo, la preparación lenta y la guerra también estaba complicada, por lo que La Torre nunca pudo llegar a relevar a Barreiro.

Por otro lado el Virrey Sámano, el 3 de julio de 1819, también decidió cambiar a Barreiro y nombrar en su lugar a Sebastián de la Calzada, veterano guerrero de 49 años. Le informó Sámano a Barreiro: he dispuesto que el coronel don Sebastián de la Calzada, que se me presentó ayer al anochecer, salga en el día de mañana a ponerse a la cabeza de su cuerpo, con el cual y la fuerza disponible de la división, deberá buscar y atacar al enemigo y si, como espero, logra destruirle y ahuyentarle, prevenga a dicho coronel que se restituya inmediatamente a esta capital donde necesito su persona.

El 6 de julio, cuando llega Calzada a Tunja, Barreiro no aceptó el cambio y pidió que lo dejaran en su cargo, protestando de esta manera:

Excelentísimo señor: A las ocho y media de esta noche ha llegado a esta ciudad el coronel don Sebastián de la Calzada y me ha remitido el oficio de vuestra excelencia número 151. Su contenido me ha causado la mayor sorpresa y no he podido menos de figurarme que vuestra excelencia, noticioso de la grande enfermedad que ahora días me acometió, infiero me hallaría en estado de no serme posible exponerme a los rigores de la estación; ….séame permitido el representar a vuestra excelencia soy el comandante general de la tercera división, nombrado por el excelentísimo señor general en jefe del ejército y aprobado por su majestad y, como tal, ningún otro que vuestra excelencia puede mandar las operaciones que ejecute.

Barreiro hizo a Sámano una declaración de su propia inexperiencia:

No puedo figurarme que la intención de vuestra excelencia haya sido nombrar mi sucesor en el mando, en razón de mis cortos conocimientos; es verdad que son pocos, pero muy suficientes para presentarme al frente del enemigo y recibir la muerte cumpliendo con mis deberes…..

De nuevo, para la independencia de Colombia fue muy importante la desobediencia de un inexperto comandante de 25 años, impidiendo que lo relevara un veterano militar de 49 años. La defensa del honor del joven Barreiro fue decisiva, en momentos en que ya se avecinaba la invasión de Bolívar, Santander y Anzoátegui. Sámano debió resignarse a enfrentar a los revolucionarios con su comandante más inexperto.

La campaña de Boyacá

Mientras los españoles peleaban por el mando, el ejercito libertador atravesaba el páramo de Pisba. El primero de julio iniciaron la ascensión y el 6 de julio estaban todos en el pueblo de Socha, donde fueron bien recibidos. El 10 de julio se iniciaron los combates esporádicos, con el combate del Pantano de Vargas el 25 de julio de 1819 como el más importante del mes.

Barreiro lo describió como una gran victoria, aunque reconoció el valor de los llaneros y la famosa carga de Rondón:

La columna de reserva recibió la orden de flanquearlos y la caballería de cargarlos en el desfiladero por donde se hallaban precisados a retirarse, su destrucción era inevitable y tan completa que ni uno solo hubiera podido escaparse de la muerte. La desesperación les inspiró una resolución sin ejemplo, su infantería y su caballería saliendo de los abismos en que se hallaban, treparon por aquellos cerros con furor; nuestra infantería, que por un ardor excesivo y por lo escarpado de la posición se hallaba desordenada, no pudo resistir sus fuerzas.

Mapa campaña libertadora Nueva Granada
En los días siguientes, Bolívar, recién cumplidos los 36 años, le ganó en varias ocasiones la guerra estratégica al joven Barreiro. El punto culminante de esta estrategia fue la toma de Tunja el 5 de agosto de 1819, cuartel general de Barreiro hasta pocos días antes. Barreiro, desestabilizado, debió salir a marchas forzadas a buscar de nuevo comunicación con Bogotá. Sus tropas debieron caminar por el páramo de Combita, casi sin comida y descanso, para llegando al pueblo de Motavita el 6 de agosto.

A las 4 de la mañana del 7 de agosto de 1819, la Tercera División española salió de Motavita hacia Ventaquemada, buscando el camino real a Santa Fe. Bolívar detectó la maniobra hacia las 10 de la mañana en Tunja y dio orden de “destruir a Barreiro donde lo encuentren”. El ejercito libertador se había apoderado de todo el armamento de Tunja y los soldados estaban bien alimentados. La columna del ejercito libertador medía, en su marcha, 3 kilómetros de largo.

Batalla de Boyacá
Francisco Jiménez, a cargo de la vanguardia realista, llegó primero a la Casa de Teja, construcción cerca del puente sobre el río Teatinos, o Puente de Boyacá. Al ver que no habían pasado los revolucionarios, ordenó servir el almuerzo a su cansada y hambrienta tropa. Barreiro venía a media hora de marcha. Sin haber terminado de almorzar los españoles, llegaron a atacarlos los patriotas.

A las dos de la tarde comenzó la batalla, manejando Santander de 27 años la vanguardia y Anzoátegui, de 30 años, la retaguardia.  En dos horas habían destruido totalmente la Tercera División del Ejercito del Rey. Anzoátegui apresó a 1600 hombres, con todo su armamento, pertrechos y bagajes.

Barreiro prisionero

Disperso el ejercito español, huyendo su caballería, Barreiro quedó solo y separado de sus compañeros. Al caer la tarde, los soldados Pedro Pascasio Martínez, de 12 años y el Negro José encontraron a dos oficiales españoles que estaban ocultos en una cueva, cerca del río. Los soldados patriotas se enfrentaron a los oficiales realistas, Pedro Pascasio con una lanza y el Negro José con un fusil. Los oficiales realistas intentaron defenderse con sus espadas, uno de ellos fue muerto por el Negro José y el otro recibió varias lanzadas por el niño soldado.

Pedro Pascasio Martínez
Cuando el oficial realista se vio perdido, le ofreció al soldado niño una faja con onzas de oro que llevaba en el cinto, a cambio de su libertad. Pedro Pascasio Martínez no aceptó y lo llevó hasta la Casa de Teja, donde estaba Bolívar. Allí le dijo que traía un prisionero.

- ¿Quién es Usted?, - le preguntó Bolívar. - "Soy el Comandante General Barreiro", - respondió el oficial realista.

Ante la respuesta de Barreiro el soldado de caballería Salvador Salcedo, el primero que pasó el Puente de Boyacá, quiso matarlo. Ante ello, el Libertador lo impidió con un grito y dio la orden para que se le colocara a la cabeza de los prisioneros realistas. Ordenó que fuera tratado con especial consideración y le hizo un saludo militar, pues era el comandante del ejército enemigo.

Bolívar durmió esa noche en Ventaquemada, junto con el resto del ejercito y todos los prisioneros del ejercito español. En la mañana, entre los prisioneros españoles, reconoció a Francisco Fernández Vignoni, que lo había traicionado en Puerto Cabello en 1812 y lo hizo ahorcar de inmediato en el alero de un rancho. Un poco más tarde, conducían a Barreiro por ese camino, cuando vio el cadáver de Vignoni que se mecía al viento. Barreiro se estremeció y comentó que le parecía horrible. Cuando le explicaron de quien se trataba, dijo: entonces hace buen muerto….

En Gachancipá se encontraron de nuevo Bolívar y Barreiro. Bolívar lo invitó a almorzar y le preguntó por su familia en España. Barreiro le contó que tenía un hermano, pero que el era el único sustento de su madre, a quien esperaba ver “después del Consejo de Guerra que me sigan por esta derrota”. Don Pedro Gual, miembro del estado mayor de Bolívar le dijo que no se olvidara que el mismo Bolívar había decretado la guerra a muerte, con lo que Barreiro quedó frio.

Los españoles huyen de Santa Fe

Casa Virrey Juan Sámano en Bogotá
8 de agosto de 1819, 8 de la noche en Santa Fe. Por la calle real se oye el tropel de un grupo de jinetes que viene desde el norte. Manuel Martínez de Aparicio, ayudante del comandante de la Tercera División del Ejercito del Rey, Juan Barreda, comisario de la División, acompañados de otros españoles, vienen de cabalgar 28 horas seguidas desde el campo de batalla de Boyacá. Se dirigen en forma inmediata a la calle de la Rosa al Palacio del Virrey (hoy Carrera 4 No. 10 – 18 de Bogotá).

Juan Sámano recibe aterrado la noticia de la derrota de la Tercera División en la tarde del día anterior, en el puente sobre el río Teatinos, en el camino real hacia Santa Fe. A las 9 de la noche Sámano escribió a Morillo:

Después de haber auxiliado al comandante general, don José María Barreiro, con dinero y cuanto pidió, en este momento, que son las nueve de la noche, se me han presentado el ayudante suyo, don Manuel Martínez de Aparicio, y el comisario de la división, don Juan Barreda, con la infausta noticia de que la división había sido enteramente derrotada y que los enemigos quedaban en Ventaquemada el mismo día de la acción, que fue ayer 7, …. por consiguiente, debo salir esta noche para salvar la poquísima tropa de infantería que tengo en esta capital, retirándome por el camino de Popayán.

Durante el resto de la noche Sámano, y sus ayudantes empacaron lo que pudieron y tomaron los fondos disponibles en la Casa de la Moneda. A la medianoche fue convocada la Audiencia Real, que comenzó a sesionar a las 3 y 30 de la mañana del día 9 de agosto, autorizando el viaje del Virrey:

En la ciudad de Santa Fe, en 9 días del mes de agosto de 1819, estando en acuerdo extraordinario de justicia los señores virrey, presidente, regente y oidores de la audiencia y cancillería real del reino, presentes los señores fiscales de ella, dijeron: se ha avisado verbalmente a los señores ministros de esta real audiencia, ahora que serán las 3 y media de la mañana, que la tercera división del ejército pacificador que guarnecía este reino ha sido enteramente derrotada por los rebeldes a dos jornadas de esta capital y que, no siéndole posible mantenerse en ella, saldrá su excelencia en la hora misma para los destinos donde convenga, a fin de proporcionar los medios de defender el reino…..para evitar ultraje a la representación de su majestad y vejamen a la persona de sus ministros, dando cuenta a su majestad desde el primer punto donde se proporcione de tan extraordinario e inesperado suceso.

Sámano sale a las 5 de la mañana por el camino de Honda. El Virrey, de 66 años, sabía la suerte que le esperaba si era detenido, pues había sido responsable del Régimen del Terror, donde habían caído fusilados Policarpa Salavarrieta y muchos patriotas más.  A las 7 de la mañana del 9 de agosto, la ciudad fue despertada por un espantoso estruendo: el coronel Sebastián Calzada comandante de la guarnición local, puso fuego al polvorín del Aserrío y antes que llegaran las fuerzas de Bolívar  se marchó con su tropa hacia Popayán, vía Neiva e Ibagué. Los miembros de la Real Audiencia salieron hacia Cartagena, al igual que muchos españoles.

Durante el resto del día, Santa Fe vivió un caos total, con autoridades y españoles huyendo de la ciudad, oficiales llegando a toda marcha desde el campo de batalla, presos huyendo de las prisiones, creando una zozobra total entre los 40000 habitantes que en ese entonces allí vivían.

Entrada de los libertadores a Santa Fe

El 10 de agosto la ciudad entera ya sabía de la derrota española y se preparaba para recibir a las tropas. Bolívar, entretanto, durmió en Chocontá el 8 de agosto, el 9 llegó a Tocancipá y el martes 10 de agosto de 1819, a las 6 de la tarde, entró solo a Santa Fe, donde las calles y las plazas se llenaron de gente.

Los 3 jefes patriotas en Santa Fe, agosto 12 de 1819
El 9 de agosto salió de Ventaquemada toda la columna de tropas junto con los prisioneros, encabezados por Barreiro. Durmieron esa noche en Villa Pinzón. El 10, 11 y 12 recorrieron el camino real, llegando a Usaquén al mediodía, donde los esperaba una gran multitud.  Los 10 kilómetros finales hasta la plaza mayor los hicieron en medio del pueblo entero. Al final de la tarde del 12 de agosto se encontraron Bolívar, Santander y Anzoátegui en la plaza mayor, donde se fundieron en un gran abrazo.

El 21 de agosto, en ceremonia formal en la plaza mayor, fueron ascendidos a generales de división Santander y Anzoátegui. El 11 de septiembre Santander fue designado vicepresidente de las Provincias Libres de la Nueva Granada. El 18 de septiembre se realizó el primer desfile militar conmemorativo de la Batalla de Boyacá, por la calle Real, entre San Diego y la Plaza Mayor, encabezado por los 3 jefes, seguidos por todas las tropas. El 20 de septiembre salió Bolívar hacia Angostura, dejando a Santander a cargo del gobierno.

Deciden el final de Barreiro

Los 38 oficiales capturados y más de 1000 prisioneros fueron encarcelados, en un edificio conocido como Las Aulas. Pocos días después, los oficiales fueron trasladados al cuartel, casa situada en diagonal a la torre norte de la Catedral. Mientras estuvo en la ciudad Bolívar, el trato a los oficiales fue amable y varios historiadores cuentan que Barreiro recibía visitas, pues era bien plantado y muy bien visto por las mujeres santafereñas. El 8 de septiembre Bolívar propuso un canje de prisioneros a Sámano, en carta que parece que este nunca recibió. Bolívar suspendió igualmente la llamada guerra a muerte.

Cuando Bolívar salió de Santa Fe, la situación cambió radicalmente. Quedaban más de 1000 prisioneros a cargo de unos pocos soldados inexpertos, pues el resto había salido con Bolívar y los otros comandantes. Se decidió poner grilletes a todos los oficiales y muchos de los soldados. El ambiente comenzó a enrarecerse. Al detectar Barreiro el cambio de situación, pidió una entrevista con Santander, pues todos los prisioneros conocían la propuesta de canje. Esta entrevista le fue negada en varias ocasiones. Le envió entonces al Vicepresidente todas sus insignias de masón, pues Barreiro sabía que Santander también lo era. A esto, Santander le contestó: “la patria está por encima de la masonería.”

El 10 de octubre fue rodeada la manzana donde permanecían los oficiales y se impidió el paso del público. A las 4 de la tarde, un grupo de franciscanos ingresó a la prisión y les comunicó a Barreiro y demás oficiales que habían sido condenados a muerte por orden del Vicepresidente y que venían a oír confesiones y dar absoluciones. Barreiro dijo a los franciscanos:

“me engañé al creer en la generosidad de estos insurgentes, pero están en su derecho. Solo me entristece en este momento el recuerdo de mi adorada madre”.

El fusilamiento

25 oficiales españoles, 5 granadinos, 5 venezolanos, 1 ecuatoriano, 1 guayanés y un puertorriqueño conformaban el grupo de condenados. Barreiro encabezaba el grupo de españoles y Francisco Jiménez el de granadinos.

Plaza Mayor de Bogotá
Antes de las 7 de mañana, llamaron a los primeros 4, Barreiro y Antonio Plá, españoles, Jiménez y Antonio Galluzo por los granadinos. Eran los más importantes. Al verse ya al borde de la muerte, cayeron de rodillas y pidieron la última absolución. Salieron los 4 condenados en medio de una gran multitud, abiertamente hostil, hacia la plaza mayor. Los colocaron en donde hoy queda el Palacio de Justicia. Barreiro vestía dolmán azul con entorchados, parte de su viejo uniforme de gala, los demás prisioneros, ropa del país. Al dar frente a los soldados, Barreiro gritó ¡Viva España! y le dispararon a quemarropa, destrozándole el cráneo. Había cumplido sus 26 años en prisión, el 20 de agosto. Los otros 3 también murieron en el acto.

Comenzaron a sacar a los prisioneros de 4 en 4, en un lento suplicio que duró 3 largas horas. Cuando las balas comenzaron a escasear y la puntería a fallar, se presentó una terrible situación con el subteniente español Bernardo Labrador. Ninguno de los tiros para fusilarlo dio en el blanco. Pidió entonces un tiro de gracia, pero le dieron un bayonetazo en el pecho. Se agarró entonces a golpes con el soldado que lo había herido y se vino encima la tropa y lo remataron a golpes de bayoneta. A un español que protestó por la matanza, Juan Francisco Malpica, Santander ordenó fusilarlo también en el acto. A las 10 de la mañana la plaza mayor estaba llena de sangre, con 39 cadáveres, casi todos con disparos a quemarropa y bayonetazos.  Los llevaron a una fosa común en el campo de Santa Fe, cerca de la actual Estación de la Sabana.

Cito aquí al biógrafo Gerhard Masur en su libro sobre Bolívar:

Santander observó las ejecuciones desde la puerta del Palacio de gobierno, pero su placer en el espectáculo sangriento disminuyó ante la conducta varonil y digna de Barreiro. Santander aseguró que los oficiales habían constituido una quinta columna dentro de la República, pero no pudo presentar ninguna prueba de su acusación, y la única razón que puede explicar este hecho es su deseo de venganza. Hay pocas dudas de que los treinta y nueve oficiales murieron en memoria de la sangre sin vengar de Torres, Caldas y los muchos inocentes que los españoles habían fusilado. Santander unió después a la ignominia de este hecho el pedir a Bolívar que lo perdonara. Bolívar no podía hacer esto, pero de mala gana aceptó el hecho consumado. Consideró esta acción de Santander como un grave error, que tenía el peligro de perjudicar el prestigio internacional de Colombia. En realidad, las ejecuciones a sangre fría eran juzgadas severamente en el exterior.

Comparto mucho la conclusión de Masur. Es claro que los españoles habían sido crueles y sanguinarios durante el Régimen del Terror. Barreiro mismo había seguido al pie de la letra la instrucción de Sámano de pasar por las armas a los guerrilleros que capturaban. Pero aquí la situación era distinta y debían haberse seguido unas normas legales, un grado de civilización, un respeto por la vida humana. El primer acto importante de la vicepresidencia de Santander no correspondió  para nada a su apodo de Hombre de las Leyes.

La Plaza Mayor de Bogotá ha vivido muchos acontecimientos históricos, claves para nuestro país. Pocos tan tristes, sanguinarios e injustificados como el fusilamiento del joven coronel Barreiro y sus compañeros, aquella mañana del 11 de octubre de 1819.



Proyect by P.L. Baldo August 07th 2:18 HRS ARR