Famous People Connected to Buteshire
Historic County of Scotland
Image right - John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute (1847-1900)
People of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown!
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
- Richard Attenborough, film director; owned the Rhubodach estate on the island at one time
- Andrew Bannatyne (1798–1871), politician, lawyer and businessman
- Lieutenant Henry Robertson (Birdie) Bowers (1883–1912), polar explorer, who died with Scott in the Antarctic
- John Crichton-Stuart, 2nd Marquess of Bute (1793-1848)
- John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute KT, KSG, KGCHS[1 (12 September 1847 – 9 October 1900) was a landed aristocrat, industrial magnate, antiquarian, scholar, philanthropist and architectural patron.
- Adam Crozier, former chief executive of the Royal Mail
- Johnny Dumfries - former Formula One racing driver is the current Marquess of Bute.
- Thomas Bannatyne Gillies, Supreme Court Judge
- George Leslie Hunter, colourist painter
- Edmund Kean, Shakespearean actor
- Ashley Lilley, actress, played the role of Ali in the 2008 film adaptation of Mamma Mia
- Sir William MacEwen FRS (1848–1924), surgeon
- John William MacKail, writer and scholar
- John Sterling, critic, journalist and poet
- Hector Whitelaw, shinty player and Scotland Vice-captain
- Bob Winter, Glasgow's Lord Provost (2007–2012)
- Lena Zavaroni, singer was born and grew up in Rothesay
Related Projects on Geni
- Buteshire - Main Page
- Historic Buteshire (Link to follow)
- [http://www.geni.com/projects/Buteshire-Family-Heads/14832 Buteshire - Family Heads
References, Sources and further reading
this project is in History Link