Famous People Connected to Essex
Image Right - Sir Nicholas Conyngham Tindal
Please add information about people of renown connected to County Durham, England. If the person has a profile on Geni please add their profile to the project and add the link in bold.
Please add information about people of renown connected to Essex, England. If the person has a profile on Geni please add their profile to the project and add the link in bold.
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
- John Constable (1776-1837) born East Bergholt, Essex English painter
- Sir Nicholas Conyngham Tindal (born 1776) - Judge, lawyer, and for seventeen years, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas. Responsible for the introduction of the special verdict, "Not Guilty by reason of insanity", into English Law.
- In 1566, the first witch trial in a secular court in England was held in Chelmsford. The first of the witches to be tried was Elizabeth Frances, who confessed to using a cat called Sathan to harm a number of people. The cat was given to Agnes Waterhouse, who was found guilty and hung, but Elizabeth Frances was only sentenced to a year in prison. In 1579, the unfortunate Elizabeth Frances appeared in the Second Chelmsford Witch Trial, where along with several other women, she was found guilty and hung.
- George Clift King (born 1848) - Former Mayor of Calgary, Alberta, Canada and often known as Calgary's first citizen.
- Anne Knight (born 1786) - Quaker. Pioneer of feminism & anti -slavery campaigner.
- Guglielmo Marconi (Italian pronunciation: [1874 – 20 July 1937) was an Italian inventor, known as the father of long distance radio transmission and for his development of Marconi's law and a radio telegraph system.
- Dick Turpin - (1705-1739) probably born at the Bluebell Inn in Hempstead, Essex, on September 21 1705. His entrance to crime was via his father, a publican who bought stock from smugglers.
Related Projects on Geni
this project is in History Link