Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Historic Buildings of Staffordshire. England

« Back to Projects Dashboard

view all


Historic Buildings of Staffordshire


The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in the county of Staffordshire, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.

Image right - Whitmore Hall

See Historic Buildings of Britain and Ireland - Main Page

If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.

Historic houses in alphabetical order

Including Castles, Abbeys, Priories, Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, Country houses, Estate houses, Courts, Halls, Parks and other listed buildings of historic interest.

Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.

Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.


● Abbey House, Ranton (ruined)

● Alton Castle

● Alton Towers

● Ancient High House

● Apedale Hall

● Aqualate Hall


● Barlaston Hall

● Beamhurst Hall

● Beaudesert (house) {demolished}

● Betley Court

● Betley Hall (demolished)

● Biddulph Grange

● Blithfield Hall

● Broughton Hall


● Calwich Abbey (demolished)

● Caverswall Castle

● Chillington Hall

// Cresswell Hall - established by the late 18th century, demolished 20th Cenbtury. marked on Yates’ map of Staffordshire (1775), Linked to John Whitby, of Cresswell Hall

● Croxall Hall


● Drayton Manor

● Dovecliff Hall

● Dunstall Hall


● Elmhurst Hall

● Erasmus Darwin House

● Etruria Hall


● Ford Green Hall

● Forton Hall



● Haselour Hall

● The Heath House

● Himley Hall

● Hoar Cross Hall

Horseley Hall was established in the last two decades of the 19th century, although an earlier hall, marked on Yates’ map of Staffordshire (1775), existed to the south west, now the site of Horseley Farm.

Houndhill Farm , situated close to a medieval moated site, was built at a similar time to Marchington Hall but replaced an existing house. The farm dates back to the 12th century when Earl William de Ferrers was renting land to Engenulph de Houndhill. The name may be Scandinavian in origin so it is possible that Hound Hill may have been used by the Vikings as an observation point. By the 16th century the Vernons were living at Houndhill manor and remained there until the early 20th century.


● Ilam Park

● Ingestre Hall


Johnson Hall - established by the late 18th century, marked on Yates’ map of Staffordshire (1775)


● Knypersley Hall



● Madeley Old Hall

● Maer Hall

● Manley Hall (demolished)

Marchington Hall - built in the late 17th century either by John Egerton, Earl of Bridgwater, or possibly his son Charles Egerton who owned the manor in 1684/5. It is built of brick with a gabled front. It belonged to the Talbot family in the late 18th and early 19th centuries until it was sold again and for a while it was under the ownership of the Vernon family.

● Milford Hall

● Moseley Old Hall



// Oxley Manor - Oxley Hall; Oxley was the home of the Austen family until the death of Thomas Austen in 1613.


● Packington Hall

● Patshull Hall



● Rolleston Hall (demolished)


● Sandford Hall

Seighford Hall - Country Estate established by the 17th Century.

● Shugborough Hall

● Somerford Hall

// Stafford Castle

● Statfold Hall

● Stourton Castle

● Stretton Hall

// Hall, or Swinnerton Hall - 18th-century country mansion house, the home of Lord Stafford, situated at Swynnerton near Stone, Staffordshire. It is a Grade I listed building. The manor of Swynnerton was owned by the Swynnerton family for several centuries before it came to the Fitzherberts when William Fitzherbert, third son of Sir Anthony Fitzherbert of Norbury Hall, married Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of Humphrey Swynnerton, in 1562. The Fitzherberts, a staunchly Catholic family, were Royalist sympathisers during the English Civil War and the house was irreparably damaged by the Parliamentarian forces. The Norbury and Swynnerton estates were united when in 1649 John Fitzherbert of Norbury bequeathed his estate to his cousin William Fitzherbert of Swynnerton.


● Teddesley Hall

● The Villas

● The Wodehouse

● Thornbury Hall

● Thorpe Constantine Hall

● Trentham Gardens

● Turnhurst



● Weston Park

// Whitmore Hall - home of the Cavenagh-Mainwaring family at Whitmore, Staffordshire. A Grade I listed building, the hall was designated a house of outstanding architectural and historical interest and is a fine example of a small Carolean style manor house. The present owners and residents of the hall are Guy and Christine Mainwaring-Cavenaugh. Guy is a descendant of the original Whitmore family, through several female heiresses, who have owned the property for almost 900 years. See Edward Mainwaring

● Whittington Old Hall

// Wolseley Hall linked to Sir William Wolseley of Wolseley Hall

● Wootton Lodge

● Wrottesley Hall

● Wychnor Hall



References and Sources

Staffordshire Specific


Getting Involved

Free to follow, request to collaborate


To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.


Geni's Project Plaza
Working with Projects
Wicked Wiki
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!

Other Pages for Historic Buildings of English Counties Bedfordshire Berkshire Buckinghamshire Cambridgeshire Cheshire Cornwall Isles of Scilly County Durham Historic Buildings of Cumberland - Today's Cumbria includes parts of the historic counties of Westmorland and Lancashire Derbyshire Devon Dorset Essex Gloucestershire Hampshire Herefordshire Hertfordshire Huntingdonshire Kent Lancashire Leicestershire Lincolnshire Middlesex (inc. London) Norfolk Northamptonshire Northumberland Nottinghamshire Oxfordshire Rutland now East Midlands Shropshire (Salop) Somerset Suffolk Surrey Historic Buildings of Sussex divided into two projects East Sussex West Sussex Warwickshire Westmorland Now Cumbria/Cumberland Wiltshire Worcestershire Yorkshire
// this project is in History Link