Monumental Inscriptions, Cemeteries and Graveyards of the Isle of Man
Image Right - Douglas Borough Cemetery and Crematorium
The aim of this project is to gather together information regarding cemeteries and graveyards in the county which either have available transcriptions or have been photographed and transcribed.
Please update the project by adding links to any available monumental inscriptions or pages where images of the graves/cemeteries can be seen - mostly Billion Graves or Find a Grave.
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
List of Towns
Not necessarily complete
Links to pages that have no entries are marked ✘.
Those links with records have no ✘ (blank, or the number of entries in some instances).
The following list will probably need refining as not all places have cemeteries
- Andreas, St. Andrew - Churchyard
- Andreas, St. Jude
- forms part of the sheading of Rushen in the south of the island, and its main settlements are Colby and Ballabeg (where the parish church is located).
- Belle Abbey Church - Keeil-my-Shee Colby
- Kirk Arbory - St Columba
- One of six sheadings in the Isle of Man and consists of the parishes of Andreas, Bride and Lezayre.
Ballabeg (Lonan) (Balley Beg)
- The Parish Church has a large churchyard with many graves dating back at least to the mid-18th century, although there has been a church on the site for much longer. Its most famous occupant is Captain John Quilliam, who steered the Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar.
Ballasalla (Balley Sallagh)
- a village in the parish of Malew in the south-east of the Isle of Man, close to the town of Castletown. The village was built mostly from the ruins of the nearby Rushen Abbey, a Cistercian abbey founded in the 12th century and dissolved in the 16th century.
St Mark's Church is on St Mark's Road. The foundation stone was laid in 1771. There was an ancient church near the site which is said to have been dedicated to St Mark. St Mary the Virgin, Abbey Church was built from local limestone sourced from Scarlett Point south of Castletown, with the foundation stone being laid in 1895. The church was consecrated in 1896 and remains in regular use today, now boasting its own substantial church hall within its grounds. Both churches are Church of England in the Diocese of Sodor and Man.
Ballasalla has had three Methodist chapels in the past. The original Ballafesson Wesleyan Methodist Chapel dates from about 1798, restructured in 1846, now a scout hall. Ballasalla (Bridge Road) Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1833. It closed as a chapel in 1949, but continued to be used as a Sunday school until 1975. It was sold in 1980 and the seats, pulpit and choir pews were moved to Ballafesson Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. A second Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in the village in 1893. It closed in 1980 and was demolished in 1981 as the building was unsafe.
Ballaugh (Balley ny Loughey)
- small village on the Isle of Man in the parish of the same name.
The Church of England parish church is St Mary's Church located in the village, although there are two churches, the old and the new. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballaugh
- Ballaugh, Old Church - St Mary
- Ballaugh, New Church - St Mary
- Ballaugh, St. Mary - Churchyard
Barregarrow (Bayr Garroo)
- a crossroad-centred settlement south of the village of Kirk Michael in the Isle of Man. Location of one of the first Wesleyan Methodist chapels on the island.
- Parish in the sheading of Middle in the Isle of Man, stretching from the parishes of Michael and Lezayre in the north, bordering on the parishes of German, Marown and Onchan in the middle and bordering on Santon in the south.
- Braddan Cemetery
- Braddan Old Cemetery
- Kirk Braddan, St. Brendan - New Churchyard
- Kirk Braddan - Old Church - St Braddan
- Braddan, St. Luke, Baldwin
- a Hamlet in the parish of Marown on the Isle of Man.
- Kirk Bride, St. Bridget - Churchyard
- a town geographically within the Malew parish of the Isle of Man but administered separately. Lying at the south of the island, it was the Manx capital until 1869. The centre of town is dominated by Castle Rushen, a well-preserved castle.
- Castletown buried its dead in Malew - St. Mary's chapel-of-ease in the town had a few intramural burials but no burial place. The ruined chapel on St. Michael's Island was reputedly used by Roman Catholics.
- a small village in the south of the Isle of Man in the parish of Arbory
Conchan - see Onchen
has a small attached burial ground for the family
- a remote village situated on Mull Hill in the south of the Isle of Man.
Crosby (Balley ny Croshey)
- a small village 6 km west of Douglas, Isle of Man on the Isle of Man.
- St. Trinians Chapel (Ruins) - nr Crosby
- a small hamlet on the Isle of Man, located near the western coast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalby,_Isle_of_Man
- Dalby, St James Church
Derbyhaven (Camys y Ree)
- a hamlet near Castletown in the southern parish of Malew, Isle of Man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derbyhaven
- the capital and largest town of the Isle of Man
- Douglas Borough Cemetery ans Crematorium
- Douglas mostly used Kirk Braddan, the yard at Old Kirk Braddan was full by the 1840's and a new graveyard was established a short distance away. St. George's in the town had a graveyard - for some time this was actually unconsecrated ground as a debt was still owing on it. North Douglas fell within Onchan parish and used that yard. A Borough Cemetery was established in 1899. A new cemetery was opened in 2003.
- Douglas Cemetery
- a small village located at the heart of the Isle of Man.
- Foxdale, St. Paul - Churchyard
- is one of the six sheadings in the Isle of Man. It is on the east of the island and consists of the parishes of Lonan and Maughold, the village of Laxey and the district of Onchan. Historically, Onchan was in the sheading of Middle.
- Kirk German New Cemetery
- Kirk German - St. German's
- St German's Cathedral - St Patrick's Isle
- St. John the Baptist - St John's
- St. John the Evangelist - Cronk-y-Voddy
Glen Maye (Glion Muigh)
- a small village on the west coast of the Isle of Man, just south of Peel.
Glen Vine (Glion Vian)
- a small village on the Isle of Man in the parish of Marown.
- one of six sheadings in the Isle of Man
- a parish in Michael Sheading in the Isle of Man
- Jurby, St. Patrick - Churchyard
- a parish in the Sheading of Ayre and lies central and north in the Isle of Man
- Kirk Christ Lezayre - Churchyard
- Lonan St. Adamnan's Church
- Kirk Lonan, St. Lonan - Churchyard
- Kirk Malew - Churchyard
- Kirk Malew - Churchyard Extension
- Kirk Malew, St. Mark - Churchyard
- Kirk Marown, St. Runius - Churchyard
- Marown Cemetery
- Kirk Maughold - Churchyard
- Maughold Cemetery
- Kirk Michael, St. Michael - Churchyard
Newtown, Isle of Man (Balley Noa)
- Newtown, Holy Spirit Churchyard
Niarbyl (Yn Arbyl)
- a settlement along the southwest coast of Isle of Man between Port Erin and Peel.
Onchan (Kione Droghad) or Conchan
- Kirk Onchan, St. Peter - Churchyard
- a parish in the sheading of Glenfaba, on the west coast of the Isle of Man.
- Kirk Patrick, Holy Trinity - Churchyr-ard
- a town on the Isle of Man, in the parish of German. It is sometimes called the only "city" on the island, because it is the home of the island's cathedral.
- Peel Cathedral
- Peel used the small yard in St. Peter's in the centre of the city but by the 1840's this was grossly overcrowded and in 1853 a new cemetery both for the town and for German parish was established a short distance out of the town. Some burials (mostly shipwrecked mariners and Roman Catholics) took place within the old Cathedral on St. Patrick's isle. A small Methodist burial plot was established in the grounds of Atholl Street Chapel. The old St. Peter's yard was tidied up in the 1950's the more 'attractive' memorials used to line the walls of the garden.
- Peel Cemetery
Port Soderick (Purt Soderick)
- a small hamlet to the south of Douglas, capital of the Isle of Man
- Ramsey mostly buried its dead at Kirk Maughold but as part of the town was in Lezayre that yard was also used - there was a small graveyard surrounding Ballure Chapel but that was mostly for non-Manx.
- St Mary's (Ballure), Ramsey
Ronague (Eairy Shynnagh)
- a small hamlet in the south of the Isle of Man, in the parish of Arbory.
Quaker's burial ground
- a parish in the sheading of the same name in the Isle of Man.
- Kirk Christ Rushen, Holy Trinity - Churchyard
- Kirk Christ Rushen, Holy Trinity - Churchyard Extension
- is a parish of the Isle of Man
- Kirk Santon, St. Sanctain's Church
St John's (Balley Keeill Eoin)
- a small village on the A1 Douglas to Peel road in the central valley of the Isle of Man.
- a hamlet on the Isle of Man
- a parish on the primary A2 road which connects Castletown and Ramsey in the Isle of Man
Union Mills (Myllin Doo Aah)
- a village in the parish of Braddan on the A1, the primary road which connects Douglas and Peel in the Isle of Man