Started by Private User on Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 60 posts
Private User
12/19/2012 at 7:03 PM

I am in the process of earnestly ediiting and preparing my manuscript, updated, corrected and significantly enlarged since the second edition appeared in 1900 (first edition was in 1976).
I am asking for anyone who wishes to contribute updated, corrected, or additional information to please contact me for that data to be included.
The projected date for publication is end 2014, beginning 2015.
The pln is for 3 volume, the last having a full name/surname index.
Thanks
Neil Rosenstein
to contact me directly - neil@tali.com
www.neilrosenstein@ta;i.com

12/19/2012 at 7:24 PM

Good to see you here on Geni Neil.

12/19/2012 at 8:05 PM

Welcome. I have been working on expanding and adding details to the Margolis family tree.

12/20/2012 at 1:45 AM

How wonderful to see you on Geni. Bruchim Habaim! It was your book "The Broken chain" which gave me the geneology bug and helped make the family "legend" that my husbands family were descended from the Katzenellenbogens a reality! What information would you like for the Kirsch/Kestenbaum line?

Private User
12/20/2012 at 3:04 AM

Hi Neil, excellent news, I look forward to updating the Bombach and Teomim Fraenkel line to your astounding work.

12/20/2012 at 3:37 AM

Maybe we can add some of the branch tops to the project page to make this project into an index for the sections of the book on Geni.

12/20/2012 at 5:14 AM

I have ordered the second edition, Dr. Rosenstein, through inter library loan, so once I receive the volumes and read through the info that pertains to my family, I will let you know what I have and if it relates. Thank you so much for the work you have done and continue to do. Dan Teitelbaum, Raleigh, NC (Researching: Teitelbaum, Levine (Lev), Hurwitz (Horowitz), Schneiderman, Goldman)

Private User
12/20/2012 at 7:37 AM

@Randy, branch tops? I think we can add all public profiles mentioned in the book to the project and also add exact references to each profile!

12/20/2012 at 7:47 AM

Private User Welcome Dr. Rosenstein, it is such privilege and pleasure to see you on Geni---your books and scholarly research are an invaluable resource to the world of Jewish Genealogy. I am personally indebted to you, as it was your initial call to my parents seeking information for the first edition of "The Unbroken Chain" that triggered my interest in this enthralling field, and for that I cannot thank you enough.

Private User
12/20/2012 at 8:43 AM

Thanks for your kind words and comments.
Does that mean you will be willing to help with updated family info to be included in the next edition?
Best wishes
Neil
reply to neil@tali.com
maybe send me your personal email.

12/20/2012 at 9:34 AM

Private User Definitely will be delighted to send updated information for your upcoming surname indexed 3 volume Edition! This is so exciting for all of us.

Private User
12/20/2012 at 11:53 AM

I am very happy to see you on Geni, Dr Rosenstein !
Also glad to know about your projects.

Best wishes

12/21/2012 at 7:20 AM

Neil, long time no talk! I saw your project on Geni. I would be happy to contribute my part of the family. I think I already gave you some a long time ago after the first edition, but I don't remember what.

And I tell you, if you (or anyone!) have any information on Arye Lieb's wife Mindel, it will make my decade. Finding out who her parents were would most likely complete my chain, because her brother is my ancestor.

12/21/2012 at 10:11 PM

I have added to the project page entry points for each of the chapters in the book. Feel free to add Branches as subchapters.

12/21/2012 at 10:33 PM

Randy, it would be helpful if you could add one sample Branch as a guide to the formatting.

I tried with Volume 11, Chapter 1X, Rappoport and Cohen families
Oppenheim and Ungar families of Bonn, indenting the branch, but was concerned about the double spacing. The entry has been deleted pending your example.

12/22/2012 at 3:57 AM

Have a look at the additions made since my post above.

It would be nice to indent the Branches (if existing) or family names without incurring double spacing. Waiting for your comment prior to completing.

12/22/2012 at 9:03 AM

Pam Karp

I figured out how to indent. Double-asterisk is the key **

12/22/2012 at 8:34 PM

Thank you Randy Schoenberg.

The second question is to indent (great) without an asterisk, and still maintain single line spacing. Can you figure that out too?

I have referred to Bjorn's Wikitext Unicode document but am stymied how to achieve all my criteria.

Private User
12/22/2012 at 9:58 PM

Have you tried > or >> Pam? You do have to have these exactly at the start of a line for them to be effective, so have to have a return at the end of the last sentence. See if that works for you!

12/22/2012 at 10:09 PM

Thank you Private User. I will try it.

12/22/2012 at 10:37 PM

June, > and >> works fine for the indent.

However, the indented line is then a double space below the heading. I would prefer the single spacing to be maintained.

12/23/2012 at 9:33 AM

Question for Neil or any of you: I come from the Gerstein/Heller line. Where is that in the current Unbroken chain projects? I don't see it listed in the headings on the Geni page for Unbroken Chain 2nd edition.

Also, where are you adding these family lines with indents and asterisks? Do you not use GEDCOM files and genealogy software?

12/23/2012 at 12:53 PM

Most of the book is already on Geni, although there are significant gaps. Gerstein should be under Chapter II.D. I'll add them in as II.E since it is a big family. The hyperlinks on the project page will take you to a profile and if you then "view tree" you will be taken to that portion of the big tree that pertains to the particular branch headed by that profile.

12/24/2012 at 8:15 AM

I have a lot of people under Zahar Hirsch Waldman and Freda Gerstein. I thought I sent that off to Neil years ago but either I didn't or it didn't make it for some reason. They were my GG Grandparents. I have lots of decendants in the Waldman family also. Do you want them? On my grandmother's other side I'm related to Arye Lieb and Mindel Gerstein, through Mindel, I was told. Also there's a lot in the first Unbroken Chain that isn't in the Gerstein Tree here on Geni.

12/24/2012 at 8:32 AM

Mike, can you work on adding the rest of the Gerstein chapter. I realize it is huge, but maybe you can make some headway. Thanks, Randy

12/24/2012 at 11:03 AM

Malka Mysels Maybe you can help with the Visanska branch? I don't have the book with me here, but the Visanska family has descendants on Geni and are distantly related to me. I'm not sure what is missing here, but assume we will need to add more.

Aaron Visanska

12/24/2012 at 12:01 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer What is missing on Geni is Aaron's son's wife's family connection, ie. the "Maggid family" descendants of R. Phineas Katzenellenbogen " The Holy", who was named after his great grandfather, R. Phineas HaLevi Horowitz. (Unbroken Chain p.22-24)

Also missing is the "Rosenberg family". ie. Aaron's son mentioned above, Hirsch Mordecai HaLevi Vizanski, changed his name to Marks Rosenberg--you have this fact noted on his profile, but Sema his wife, her Maggid family and the Rosenberg children are missing.

Do you want me to add them to your tree, should we wait?

12/24/2012 at 12:08 PM

Go ahead and add them to my tree. I don't know why Marks Rosenberg's family is missing.

I wish I know why he changed his name. Interestingly there is a Rosenberg family that married the Margolis family and then married the Visanska family in South Carolina where they all immigrated :)

12/24/2012 at 3:29 PM

I connected Daniel. Now need the rest of page 23-34.

12/24/2012 at 5:00 PM

Margolis family needs to be added to Chap 2. Going up from Efrati family, the father of Ittel Margolis mother of Efrati and Itelson families was the daughter of Mordechai Margolis. I don't have the book here but it's the page before Efrati etc. Mordechai Samuel and then another Mordechai. That second Mordechai is my 4th ggf and his family was the subject of a separate book The Margolis Family 1984 referred to in the Unbroken Chain.

Showing 1-30 of 60 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion