Announcing Curators

Started by Noah Tutak on Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 150 posts
8/25/2010 at 3:42 PM

The ultimate goal of Geni is to create a single, accurate family tree that connects all of our users. Over time, as duplicate trees have been merged together over and over again, the tree has become, quite honestly, a mess. We are fully committed to building the most comprehensive and accurate family tree in the world.

We've taken a significant step towards this goal by granting "curator" privileges to a group of Geni users. Similar to Wikipedia administrators, the initial group of curators includes users who are active and well regarded by the community. Over time we expect to expand this program by adding additional curators.

Curators today can do three things:
* Edit and merge public profiles that are already on their tree
* Convert historical living profiles to deceased
* Convert deceased famous and historical profiles to public (if they don't have any close relatives on Geni)

We've taken precautions to make sure that only users with a good track record over an extended period of time have been granted these privileges and, of course, we can revoke them at any time if necessary. Each of these privileges also contains safeguards to make sure that they are not used irresponsibly, even by accident. We're excited about this program and expect it to have immediate impact on the quality of the data on Geni. Please let me know if you have any questions.

8/25/2010 at 3:45 PM

Do you plan on identifying the curators?

8/25/2010 at 4:08 PM

This sounds like a great plan!

8/25/2010 at 4:25 PM

It brings us further - very good.

8/25/2010 at 4:26 PM

Noah does this mean that you will be protecting certain parts of Trees so only the Curators will be able to merge into that part??

In other words having a backbone that is accurate??

8/25/2010 at 5:39 PM

This sounds like a good project... it will be interesting to see what happens down the line. Too bad that you can't sync information on the tree like one does with a phone, as people are added. I'm sure new software will be created to help this out...

Private User
8/25/2010 at 7:41 PM

I'm up for the challenge.

Private
8/25/2010 at 9:50 PM

Absolutely terrific idea as the Tree certainly has grown and grown. One of my favorite things happened when merging trees. After the merge, often when re-reading the information an individual with sibling would once again be related to the same siblings, but, as half-siblings. I lthoroughly enjoy Geni and to have overseers to coordinate is a welcome addition.

Private User
8/26/2010 at 1:06 AM

Curators, with license to kill and merge..

8/26/2010 at 1:35 AM

huge difference already. i will happily volunteer if you need more

David,
Noah is just probably trying to build some suspense. ;-) Either than, or give the Secret Cabal some time to announce itself.

8/26/2010 at 2:34 AM

I am in just "give a call"

Bjørn I like your point with licence to kill - but we also need tools to prevent people from sabotaging the tree!!

I think the greatest problem is to convince all the users who has used GENI to build there own tree and i no way wants to share.

I think there should be a possibility for these users to leave with own tree even if its allready connected!! As I understand it, there is no way back if single users in one way or another have connected - that isen't fair

8/26/2010 at 3:01 AM

yes there's about 3 or 4 people constantly unstacking the plantagenets atm.. ridiculous

8/26/2010 at 3:10 AM

Great, this will hopefully reduce the amount of merges between siblings and parent-children, zombies and duplicates. I wish that people who do not want to participate in the great tree, could leave by downloading a special (close account gedcom?) gedcom, and by doing so, release their profiles to the rest of the community. Persuading them to leave would be a notice that their tree will be public domaine unless at one login is performed quarterly, and merge requests are answered within 6 months. Just an idea.

Private User
8/26/2010 at 4:20 AM

This is great news. This has huge potential.

8/26/2010 at 5:43 AM

Great news. I have learned so much from my collaborators and look forward to learning more.

8/26/2010 at 7:13 AM

It's not too hard to figure out who we are, Jason and Ofir already found me out by the Rulene merges.

Private User
8/26/2010 at 7:17 AM

Shmuel
I really do not hope that they will tell who they are; just imagine their inbox after they have been announced.
But I'm happy that they will be there who ever they are, so it is a chance that some issue that has never been sorted out will find its end.
It gives a light at the end of the tunnel.
We still have the collaborator tool and we should concentrate about to work together as we have done.

Jason,
are you certain that the "3 or 4 people constantly unstacking the plantagenets" aren't actually WORKING on that part of the tree. Some of those stacks NEED serious unstacking.

One of the biggest "problems" / mixed-blessings with the new "merge center", as that working on a specific area of the historical tree, generates a LOT of attention from people who see the new/changed merge-issues, and jump in to help. So you could be trying to unstack someone, while someone else, sees these "duplicates" and stacks them right back up... OUCH!

8/26/2010 at 7:58 AM

Very good idea

Private User
8/26/2010 at 8:38 AM

Gene!! excellent!!!

Private User
8/26/2010 at 9:14 AM

I'm one of the Curators.

Feel free to send me links to merges with profiles of the "difficult"/non-active managers, AFTER checking potential errors.

The same with obvious wrong connections that I might be able to break.

I work in the lines from Guillaume 'le Conquérant' up through Ragnvald Mørejarl, the Jarls of Orkney (through Ragnvald's son), Kings of Scotland and some of the Anglo-Saxons.

There is a lot of chaos and will take a while, and you wish to work in those lines, please get in touch so everyone knows what others are doing. The area will quite likely look very messy for a while, but be patient ...

Private User
8/26/2010 at 9:18 AM

As probably many of you have understood I am one of the curators, with license to kill and merge ;-)

There will come better tools for the curators like locking or marking profiles with warnings that pops up when trying to merge and so on.

Todays tools are mostly superuser access to merge or cut loose any public profiles in the big tree (not unconnected) plus checking if a profile can be made public (i.e no users within the family group) and access to use the Anti Zombie script.

The primary target is to reduce the huge merge stacks and we will NOT try to drag in other duplicate branches yet. We need to clean up the duplicates we already have first.

Is there an interest for a public discussion "Curators needed" where you can post links to merge stacks that have to be reduced?

Please do not send such messages to us directly - we don't want to favor anyone, and having curator access does not speed up the time it takes to merge a profile and fix errors, and we all want to have a life outside Geni.

Do NOT drag us into personal conflicts with other managers, - before coming with a request for help please clear out with the other managers on how the tree should be constructed and we can help you with the merges, but you are responsible yourself to fix errors and correct data.

Private User
8/26/2010 at 10:09 AM

I did guess that Brox 007
:)

8/26/2010 at 10:13 AM

I would much prefer a public discussion for "curators needed." This way you can control your own time and work efforts, and "grab" the cases posted from your own historical interest and access rights.

8/26/2010 at 10:15 AM

P.S. Also on a "curators needed" thread (or on this one) please introduce yourself as Anne Marit did. This way we know who to bother for which profiles. :)

Private User

I do agree Erica, and I'm sure that will happen
Also because then a collaborator that reads it can maybe help out

Where are your nifty badges?

Private User
8/26/2010 at 10:16 AM

Not designed yet, - please send suggestions to Noah ;-)

8/26/2010 at 10:16 AM

Right, Glenn, and that way we can learn the secrets of fixing things for ourselves, until we run out of permissions. :)

Showing 1-30 of 150 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion