Started by Private User on Thursday, December 17, 2009
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 931 posts
Private User
12/17/2009 at 2:28 AM

NOTE: To stop notifications from this topic: Click on the Unfollow link at the top.

Previously these discussion topics was only available to my extended family group, but now we have this new Public Discussion functionality.

My extended family group discussion have been used by the most active Geni users for collaboration and helping each others with merge problems. Most major contributors to Geni are active there and share access via me since I am probably the one in Geni with most family and collaborator group members.

If you have merges issues you are missing permissions to complete you can post them here.

When your issues is resolved please delete your related messages to keep this topic as short as possible.

You should as far as possible connect the pending merges yourselves and you are also responsible to clean up the final profile when completed.

Please verify that all profiles in a connected stack is matching the main profile before you post a request to merge the stack.

Remember to mark a completed merge of common ancestors as Shared if you have access to it, - both to keep it visible for none-family members, but also to tell others that you have verified the contents and would like to keep it as a main profile in this giant forest.

If you see padlocked profiles in the tree: Click on [View List] under the profile picture on a nearby profile you have access to. The managers of these will be listed there and you can take proper action to get them unlocked for you, either by becoming the manager yourselves if it is without a manager, or contacting the manager to collaborate or ask him/her to kill zombies.

12/17/2009 at 11:00 AM

Erin Ishimoticha I've completed the three Hibbard merges.

Private User
12/17/2009 at 12:31 PM

What does it mean "to kill zombies" ?

12/17/2009 at 12:35 PM

Thanks Erik for asking that question. Something I always wanted to know but was afraid to ask...

12/17/2009 at 1:28 PM

When I find a zombie I usually write the manager the following:
"This profile is a zombie please edit and mark deceased"

A Zombie is a dead profile that is marked alive and can be for example 1000 years old. Some gedcom-files uploaded to geni without death-dates becomes automatically alive and are as alive profiles not vissible to "anyone" , nor mergable and blocking trees and merges.

If you get a message you have a zombie - kill it =) and please check that persons family list for more zombies.

Regards
Susanna

12/17/2009 at 1:47 PM

Will geni ever program the system to recognize profiles born over 120 years ago and automatically mark them all 'deceased'?

Erik, a "zombie" is a profile that SHOULD be marked as deceased, but isn't...

Erin I suggest shorter lists, because it will likely take a long while before that whole list is resolved, so it would be easier to delete in pieces.

Private User
12/17/2009 at 1:57 PM

@Tim - they do, and mark them specific in the tree, but 99% of the zombie profiles does not have a birth date either so it is impossible to detect them all in a simple way.

The major reason for those zombies is that people have built their family trees using a PC program that does not give you an option to mark a person as deceased unless you set a date.

Private User
12/17/2009 at 1:58 PM

Thanks for your answers. I will keep an eye open for zombies :-)

Private User
12/17/2009 at 2:01 PM

thanks to Bjørn and others I am killing a lot of them in my tree

12/17/2009 at 2:08 PM

I don't trust gedcom uploads from PC programs... too many variables that inevitably cause problems. Even downloaded gedcoms merged into a database are extremely problematic. I learned the hard way years ago and have had to live with a corrupted database ever since.

12/17/2009 at 2:44 PM

All requests for Neall, Gunner, "Skip" Bremer and Oliver Stedall are now done.

Erik, you can be pro-active and go on a zombie hunt! Here's how:
1) Go to your profile (or anybody you have Permission to access/edit their profiles).
2) In the Overview tab, Press the [Profiles Managed] link in the Family Statistics box (on the right). This will open a list of all the profiles that you (or they) manage.
3) If you do NOT see the yellow box on the side of the list, press the [show advanced controls] link next to the list title.
4) In the Filters section,
where it says 'Any claimed status', select the 'Unclaimed' option.
where it says 'Any living status', select the 'Living' option.
5) In the columns section, Select a column for living status.
6) Press the [Update List] button. You now have a list of all of your profiles that are marked as living, and haven't been claimed by an actual person.
7) Go to the LAST page of this list.
8) Press the Edit Profiles tab at the top.
9) Go through the page of profiles, and in the [living status] column change to deceased wherever relevant.
10) Press the [Save all changes] button at the bottom.
11) Go to the previous page.
12) Return to step #8. Repeat as needed.

This is actually much easier than the long description would make it look. I just wanted the explanation to be clear as possible.

The reason to start from the LAST page, is that if you start at the beginning, then every time to go to the next page, the list is recalculated, and you will miss pages, because it's going to the next page of the NEW list. This is avoided when going back in the list.

Private User
12/17/2009 at 9:36 PM

@ erik to kill a zombie, is to mark a long deceased person as deceased. someone born in 1600 you can be pretty sure the have passed, but when gedcoms were uploaded, not all people got marked as deceased that should have. this will create a problem for anyone trying to merge them, for collaborators cannot merge living people ( no matter how much we love them) ^U^
laura John Jackson
http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000002908308275 is done

12/18/2009 at 2:53 AM

@Erik
A zombie is a living dead
Thus we use that name of Profiles who is dead but in stand as living in Geni.
The next problem is that one cant edit or merge them unless the from there managers are sat as sheared - it give a hell of "unnessecarry" works;-((.

12/18/2009 at 3:08 AM

Shouldn't we try to find out which managers are not responding and find out who we have connection to and who not.
As I see it we need to make a reaction especially on the last group of which we can't do any thing at all!!
I find it very frustration that we are making all this work, and a few people are abel to sabotate it totally.

12/18/2009 at 5:44 AM

Ok Bjørn
I will start making a total list on my outstanding merges!!

12/18/2009 at 7:47 AM

Kevin Lawrence Hanit your Hibbards are done.

Private
12/18/2009 at 9:48 AM

John O'Hern, Nancy Sands, Jamie Bearse
http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000003938701819?idx=0

Private
12/18/2009 at 9:57 AM

Ruth Callahan Partington, Louise Callen, Brandon Bascom, Laura Healy, Daniel Spooner
http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000002930827809?idx=0

12/18/2009 at 11:58 AM

Wouldn't it be better to create a separate thread for each inactive or unresponsive manager? Then we can follow just the threads that we have permission to act on.

Private User
12/18/2009 at 12:09 PM

That would be much easier

12/18/2009 at 12:17 PM

Better yet would be for Geni to give us a way to publically post our merge issues by Manager, and have them automagically disappear from the list one they have been resolved.

12/18/2009 at 12:25 PM

David, that would be very easy to do if Geni would just filter out merge issues from the merge issues list that the current user doesn't have permission to change at all.

Private User
12/18/2009 at 1:06 PM

@Noah, - in my private merge issues topics we have separate merge issues topics on the most problematic managers, but I thought we should avoid hanging them out in the public even if I already have done that for one specific person in the forum.

Should I open a specific public SDH merge issues topic?

Private
12/18/2009 at 1:25 PM
Private User
12/18/2009 at 1:31 PM

The amount of email's you get from public discussions is an "error" in Geni an they have promised to change it to only send notifications on topics you have participated in.

http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=56791#post-525411

If you ask me, being a software developer my selves, it is just a result of bad planning and consequence analysis of a new feature, - it is time for them to include some external beta-testers like me before they release new features.

12/18/2009 at 2:12 PM

Private, your Castlemans are done.

Private
12/18/2009 at 3:09 PM

Nancy Sands and Frederick Sieber zombie
http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000002241127020?idx=0

Frederick Sieber, Paul Bowman and Nancy Sands
http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000000426609376?idx=0

Showing 1-30 of 931 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion