Kidson is one of the oldest family names to come from the Anglo - Saxon tribes of Britain.
The surname of Kidson was a baptismal name "the son of Christopher", from the nickname Kit. William Kitteson who was recorded in 1340 in Cornwall, appears to be the first of the name on record,and Thomas Kytson of the same place was documented in the year 1357. The name was in Scotland at and early date and payment was made in 1359 to John Ketson by the baillies of Stirling, and in the following year he appears as John Filius Christani (gate keeper) of the Castle of Stirling. In 1361, he reappears as Johannus Kytysona and the following year as John Kytysoun. Frances Kytson was christened on September 2nd 1562, at St.Gregory by St. Paul, London. Anthony Kitson married Mary Wood on February 26th 1570, at St.Thomas the Apostle,London,and Elizabeth Kitson married Robert Wilson on February 13th 1585, at St. Antholin Budge Row, London.
Other records of the name mentioned Johannes Lund et Kit who was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379, as was Alicia Kytson(huswyfe). Robert Kitson of County York ,regisrered at Oxford University in 1581. Richard Wynn married Mary Kitson at St. George's Chapel,Mayfair,London in 1746.Thomas Kidson and Mary Bell were wed in the same church in 1752
An alteration of the coat of arms was granted on 13 February 1568 to Thomas Kitson Esq. of Hengrave,Suffolk.
Kidson Settlers in the 17th Century:
- Marmaduke Kidson ,aged 18,arrived in Virginia in1635.
Kidson Settlers in the 19th Century:
- William Kidson and Anna Marie Parke of the Thomas Wilson's Party arrived at Table Bay,Cape Town on 2 May 1820.
- John Kidson, aged 30, a joiner, Sarah Kidson, aged 23, Emma Kidson, aged 2, and George Kidson arrived in Nelson,New Zeeland aboard the ship " Prince of Wales " in 1842.
Contemporary Notables of the name Kidson
- Frank Kidson ( 1855 - 1926 ) English folksong collector and music scholar.
- Edward Kidson ( 1882 - 1939 ) New Zealand meteorologist and scientific administrator.
- Charles Kidson ( 1867 - 1908 ) New Zealand art teacher,artist and sculptor..
- Elsa Beatrice Kidson ( 1905 - 1979 ) New Zealand soil scientist and sculptor.
Researhed and enhanced by Nicolaas Johannes Steyn.