Casualties of World War One
See also - World War 1 Main page
The aim of this project is to record the fatalities of World War 1 by country.
Africa - 10.000
South Africa - 7.000
- Lieutenant Douglas Bayley de Bruyn Royal Lancaster Regiment, transferred to 35 Squadron Royal Flying Corps. Killed in a flying accident in Thetford, 27th May 1916, aged 20.
- Shirley Spiro 1916, British East Africa.
- Lieutenant James Lawrence Hedding Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment. Died of wounds caused by rifle grenade, Bethune, Pas de Calais, France
- Pvt Albert Doubell fell in France on 21 March 1918 aged 23 in a German attack on Quentin Redoubt and Gauche Wood.
- Leonard William Entress, Private, 1st Regt., South African Infantry, Service No.: 13483, he died of wounds as a POW aged 19 on 13 April 1918
- Pvt Charles T Barnes 2nd Regt. South African Infantry
Australia - 59.000
- William Lockhart Bronner Hope
- 2/Lieutenant William Thomas Dent-Young. 11th Battalion AIF. Wounded in Gallipoli (twice). Killed by shellfire on 11th May 1917 during the second Battle of Bullecourt, aged 29.
Belgium - 13.000
Bulgaria - 101,000
Canada - 67.000
The Caribbean - 1.000
French Empire - 1,385,000
Germany - 1,718,000
Great Britain - 703,000
- Arthur Lumley Appleby
- Private Edgard Battersby 1st Battalion. Killed in action 29th April 1917 at Oppy, aged 37.Died of wounds received 24th April 1917
- Dennis E. Bush
- Harry Raine Cathrick
- Private Lancelot Proctor Dawbarn 7th Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. Killed in action 9th May 1917 at the First Battle of Dorian (fought against Bulgaria), Salonika, Greece.
- James Arthur Graham
- Gerald Wynter Blathwayte
- John Clifford Browne private, 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, killed as a result of shellfire preceding a German attack on trenches at Boyeau, Sailly la Bourse.
- Edward Burgis 2nd Lieutenant, 18th Battalion, Manchester Regiment. 16 October 1917.
- Cyril John Bernard Cowley
- Wilfred Varnish Barrett
- Private Julius Henry Dent-Young "A" Company 1st Battalion 14th London Regiment. Wounded at Hulluch in September 1915. Killed on the first day of the Somme (1st July 1916)
- George William Dunn
- Lieutenant Bartle Laurie Stuart Frere 4th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment. Died 13th November 1916 at Beaumont Hamel.
- 2/ Lieutenant Edgar Frere. London Regiment (Post Office Rifles). Killed in Action, Arras on 22 May 1916.
- Captain Gilbert Frere 10th Bn., Rifle Brigade. Killed In Action, Merville on 26 October 1915.
- Private 21551 Jesse James Holman 1st Battalion,Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Died 27 September 1918 at Gouzeaucourt (Cambrai front).
- Sergeant Major Herbert James Juby MM (1884-1917) Joined Norfolk Regiment, transferred to 35th Coy. Machine Gun Corps. Killed in action 30 November 1917, Cambrai, France.
- Thomas Oliver Newell
- Charles Tower Rayson Godden
- William John Little
- Thomas Cecil de Trafford
- Hugh Cecil Patterson
- Serjent Richard Gordon Pugsley 13th Battalion, Tank Corps. Killed in action on 25th April 1918 in Belgium
- Warwick William Robinson
- Lieutenant Norbert Gerald Shepard D" Howitzer Bty. 103rd Bde. Royal Field Artillery. Died from wounds 2 August 1916, Somme offensive
- Hugo Francis Charteris, Lord Elcho
- Daniel O.H.J McClinton L/Corporal London Regiment
- Private Lancelot Graham Harris Aged 20. Buried at La Clytte/De Klijte Military Cemetery, Ypres, West Flanders.
- Private Ambrose Newton Woodall 12th Bn. East Yorkshire Regiment, died of wounds
Greece - 5.000
India - 4.300
Italy - 460,000
Japan - 250
Montenegro - 3.000
New Zealand - 18.000
EUROPE: Portugal - 7.000
Romania - 200.000
Russia - 1,700,000
- Peeter Rebane - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Albrecht Sarik / Saarik - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Jaan Kakri - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Jaan Brikker - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Eduard Plangi - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Johannes Pantalon - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Boris Soans - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Pearu August Pitka - Estonia / Livonia Province