Technical difficulties?

Started by Private User on Thursday, February 16, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1501-1530 of 1546 posts
Private User
4/27/2013 at 8:21 AM

They are still running for full building matches between Geni and Myheritage, - just be patient - more will show up, also when more registers get added to MyHeritage, which is a contiguously work.

Private User
4/27/2013 at 9:23 AM

Hey - Something broke Gifts. First noticed it in folks' Guest Books, but looked and see it is also the same way in the screen for choosing a Gift - the Birthday Cake still shows its picture, but most just say "gift icon: party hat", "gift icon: hug", etc.

Private User
4/27/2013 at 9:36 AM

Private User There seemed to be some issues last night with the asset servers, so it might just be that the images aren't loading or something along those lines.

Private User
4/27/2013 at 10:39 AM

They had to move the assets over to another server yesterday after having some problems with it and not everything is stable yet.

4/27/2013 at 10:54 AM

Jessica Marie German re: matches on Iowa Itasca Greener ... the one match I see with MyHeritage is simply an index into the US SSDI (Social Security Death Index). As I only recently learned, nobody has on-line access to the record images; you have to write to the state that holds the record and request a copy!

Some of the databases which are indexed through MyHeritage (such as FindAGrave and the US Census) are free to view; other databases often require payments from MyHeritage and so access to those databases requires a MyHeritage Data subsription --- but you can still at least view the summary information in the list.

Regarding the free matches you found and already noted as Sources: One of them, FindAGrave, is one that often -- but not consistently yet -- is indexed for free through MyHeritage. The others you found seem to be through FamilySearch.org -- which is also a great site to use.

The Sources you independently add to your Geni profiles are not search as part of the "matching" by MyHeritage.

4/28/2013 at 7:24 AM

The merge center is still broken. Is there any progress on fixing it?

Private User
4/28/2013 at 9:36 AM

Eldon Lester Clark It seems ok here.... what's not working?

4/28/2013 at 10:21 AM

Private User The problems started with the integration. I think the first posting was here http://www.geni.com/discussions/113724?msg=867998

This was my message to Noah.
I got an email saying that a merge had been completed so as usual I went to the profile, resolved data conflicts and went to his Nearby merge issues. It showed Requested merges 0 Tree conflicts 4 Data conflicts 4
Clicked on Tree conflicts and there are 17 and now shows Requested Merges 15. Click on requested merges and It tales me to my merge center.
This has happened on the last three profiles I have tried and the initial numbers 0, 4 and 4 are always the same.

Nothing has changed and many people are reporting the same issues.

What are you doing in the Merge Center that works for you?

Private User
4/28/2013 at 10:34 AM

Eldon Lester Clark I can't view the original posting to that URL.

My regular tree matches are showing up in the old area of the merge center and profiles are merging when IU merge w/ collaborators. Yes, there are some conflicts, requested merges, and conflicts that have been "stuck" in my merge center no matter what I do, but those were the latest release. Whether they coincided with Geni running the matches behind the scenes or not, I don't know. I guess I misunderstood what you were referring to - sowwie ;)

4/28/2013 at 10:46 AM

Private User Strange, the link works for me. Basically the merge center always starts.with my relatives, you select requested merges, then Requested by. Any setting you go to, if there is more than one page (my requested by me has 50 pages) and you click on Next, you go right back to My relatives.

Private User
4/28/2013 at 10:57 AM

Eldon Lester Clark maybe the link is a curator restricted chat?

ohhh... yes, when you change tabs it goes back to the default on the pull-down menu, but when you change it again it seems ok meaning it stays on the same choice on the pull-down menu as i go from page to page. you probably have more pages of stuff than i do though.

if you get a url string that has something along the lines of &page=2 in it try changing the number at the end and see if that gets you where you want to go.

4/28/2013 at 11:19 AM

Already looked for that, don't have it. As I said, my Requested By Me pages are about 50

4/28/2013 at 11:22 AM

You are right, it was a curator discussion, sorry, but the same basic problem messages are on another one. probably 3 or 4 pages back in this one. I wish the discussion had a search function.

4/29/2013 at 9:11 AM

Mike Stangel -- starting to see relative long response times intermittently on the "assets'n'.geni.com" again (no timeouts yet, but long enough to show the name and start to wonder ...)

4/29/2013 at 11:03 AM

... still seeing the "waiting for assets'n' ..."; now some occasional timeouts.

4/30/2013 at 4:07 PM

Dan, are you still getting slow responses from the assets servers? If so, which one(s) does it seem to be waiting on?

4/30/2013 at 6:01 PM

Thanks for checking back, Mike. I should have posted an update: I'm not seeing response problems today at all. I haven't noticed the assets servers showing up, so it seems fine now.

5/1/2013 at 10:32 AM

Great, thanks for the report from the trenches! :-)

Private User
5/2/2013 at 1:41 PM

Here we go again.

Can't edit dates. I enter a date, but it won't save it. Only in edit mode, not when I'm creating a new profile.
Cleared cookies, but that doesn't help.

Sound familiar?

5/2/2013 at 2:10 PM

Private User

I am not having any issue while entering dates. Can you please elaborate

Private User
5/2/2013 at 2:17 PM

what is there to elaborate?
all dates i'm entering when editing a profile (not when creating a new profile ) are gone after saving the changes.
a first sign of something not being right is that the date entered wo'nt appear next to the date box when editing

Private User
5/2/2013 at 2:19 PM

You have to be damn fast when entering a date or use Copy to fill it in.

If you are a slow on the keyboard the system blocks you from typing more by showing a popup suggesting a century when you have entered the first two digits of the year.

Private User
5/2/2013 at 2:34 PM

sorry Bjorn, not quite sure what you mean.
but have a feeling it doesn't make sense what you're saying.
i added quite a few profiles to geni. always the same routine. never had to be 'damn fast' like you're suggesting

Private User
5/2/2013 at 2:39 PM

also the text in the 'place of...' boxes looks different
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/snipsm.png/

5/2/2013 at 2:46 PM

Private User can you give us a specific example so we can try to recreate this to get it fixed? A profile URL, the date you are trying to enter and how you are entering it would be helpful. Thanks!

Private User
5/2/2013 at 2:49 PM

Noah Tutak and Brian G.

I am trying to change a date on a profile using 22/8/1899 and it's telling me it's an invalid date for profile: http://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000018290389615

5/2/2013 at 2:53 PM

Private User

What date are you entering?

Private User
5/2/2013 at 3:06 PM

Brian G.

Above I posted 22/8/1899 and it said it was invalid (yes, I have my setting for day/month/year) . I just tried again and it saved it this time.

5/2/2013 at 3:08 PM

22/8/1899

Brian G. I did try and it would not allow you to do so. I even tried to delete and it still shows 1899.

5/2/2013 at 3:12 PM

Private User Private User

We just pushed a fix for this issue. Sorry the the trouble.

Showing 1501-1530 of 1546 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion