Showing all 14 posts
12/2/2014 at 6:15 PM

This profile of Eleazer of Worms:
http://www.geni.com/people/מגזע-רבינו-אלעזר-רוקח/6000000000702398167

Appears to be a duplicate of:
Eleazar ben Yehudah of Worms (Rokeach)

and

This for “Rav Yehudah”
http://www.geni.com/people/Rav-Yehuda-ריב-ק/6000000000702477093?thr...

appears to be a duplicate of:
Rabbi Yehuda ben Kalonymus

If that is correct, then it is not entirely clear to me how the rest of the ancestors listed for “Rav Yehudah” should be merged.

It also seems to me that assuming that Shlomo Flam is correct that Yitzchok Stengen is a direct descendent of Eleazar Rokeach of Worms there should be several generations- even if unknown- between Yitzchok and Eleazar as Yitzchok would have been born in the mid to late 1400s and Eleazaer died in 1236.

Thoughts anyone?

12/2/2014 at 7:25 PM

Private User Too complicated for mere mortals . . . we need masterly guidance.

12/2/2014 at 7:49 PM

Malka Mysels Indeed- I wouldn't dare touch any of that, but I am hoping someone with expertise can confirm and fix!!

Private User
12/3/2014 at 4:14 AM

I'll take a look at it this afternoon - I am on west coast.

J

Private User
12/4/2014 at 3:36 PM

OK - so, Mordche Mann, and 12 others, appear to be building a tree that connects

R. Yoel Feivish Schtengen (born in 1520 ) R. Yoel Feivish Margolis-Schtengen

to

Eleazer of Worms (born 1170) that means there are nearly 20 generations missing. Yekutiel Zalman Shtangen

It looks like a "test tree" that has not been built out even though there are a number of users recently updating it.

You are correct, Seth, that there are duplicates...but they are duplicates you've cultivated. See revisions:

R. Yoel Feivish Margolis-Schtengen#/tab/revision

Yekutiel Zalman Shtangen#/tab/revision

I would recommend Seth Margulas move R. Yoel Feivish Schtengen (born in 1520 ) to his correct position and then delete this tree removing the duplicates.

I will respond to Rav Yehuda momentarily.

J

Private User
12/4/2014 at 3:49 PM

As for Kalonymus V 'Yehudah Nathan' ben Todros

Yes, they are duplicates for the same reason - and you've helped render it that way, Seth.

My recommendation here is the same as above...Move the Stengen Family to it's rightful place in the tree - it is currently roughly 20 generations out of place.

J

Private User
12/4/2014 at 3:49 PM

If you authorize me to cut and snip I can fix it.

J

12/4/2014 at 5:15 PM

Jaim, not exactly. I made no additions in that portion of the tree my earliest additon is Aron Margulies in 1760. I fixed several duplicates, corrected a date or two and added Hebrew. The connection of Yitzchak to the duplicate of Eleazer predated any changes I made and the duplicate Eleazer was not connected to the main Kalonymous tree until fairly recently- and certainly not by me.

"We know" that the father of Menecham Mendel Schtengen-Margolioth is Yoel Faivish Schtengen and the father of Yoel Faivish is Yitzchak. Beyond that I think those that made the additions and connections need to explain why they did it in the manner they did with 250 years missing.

I absolutely agree that there are roughly 20 generations missing- the comment in Yitzchak's "About" is mine and I have attempted for over a year to get answers on why he is connected to Eleazer of Worms- so I definately did not render the tree in that manner.

Shlomo Flam argues that it is certain that Yitzchak Schtengen is a descendent of Eleazer of Worms based on information in the Maseah Rokeach of Eleazer Rokeach of Amersterdam. I have no opinion on the validity of any of that other than that if so there are multiple generations missing in between.

My personal opinion is that, yes, the tree should be snipped at Yitzchak until a correct manner of connecting him to Eleazer of Worms can be ascertained, but I know that some of the other managers of Yitzchak's profile feel strongly about the connection. I would love for the other managers who worked on this to chime in.

12/4/2014 at 5:15 PM

correction, should read :"added English to the Hebrew"

12/4/2014 at 5:44 PM

Also, in my original post I meant Moshe Flam, not Shlomo Flam

Private User
12/4/2014 at 6:05 PM

Fair enough, Seth. When you arrive at consensus can you include me in your decision-making process near the end?

I'm happy to help.

J

12/4/2014 at 6:46 PM

Absolutely!

12/8/2021 at 4:42 PM

It looks like someone snipped the tree, without discussing with anyone and added Yekutial Zalman as Yitzchok's father- although I believe he is actually Yitzchak's grandson. No one has responded to any inquires so i am at a loss as to what the correct result is.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion