Started by Private User on Monday, February 1, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 251 posts
Private User
2/1/2016 at 9:03 PM

Why is it that people from Norse or Roman mythologies are labelled fictitious and ties are cut from any real people, but many people support connecting characters from Judeo-Christian mythology? Adam is listed as my 81st great grandfather. Many of the ancient profiles in my line are unsourced, but I have no experience with genealogy that far back (I am fairly confident on the Italian, Spanish, and Moroccan part of my line, but don't know anything about ancient Arabian genealogy). I'm not saying we have to delete these profiles, but we should keep them separate from real people, for the sake of those interested in genealogy.

2/1/2016 at 9:09 PM

Because religious people would throw a tantrum if you labelled biblical figures fictitious

2/1/2016 at 9:18 PM

I think both the Chinese and Jewish legendary genealogies are included in the World Family Tree because for both of these there are human links to them. It is easy to say, "all of this is a fable," less easy to actually separate fact from fiction. Many of the people in these genealogies actually existed (or at least there is historical evidence for them, e.g. King David) so it is not so simple to separate things.

My own view is that there is enough work to do in the last 200 years that no one who doesn't want to should be bothered by what goes on in the ancient tree. Let the people who really care about it work on it, and if you really do know enough to make a correction, contact the managers and get it done.

I am in the process of trying to disprove and severing some of my lines that go back. You can do that also.

Randy

2/1/2016 at 11:49 PM

Because all that Roman crap ARE myths. Even people who don't believe in Christ has evidence that these people are real. There is more out there for them than for a lot of people around the middle ages.

Private User
2/2/2016 at 12:51 AM

I wondered the same thing Cynthia? We must be distantly related i believe?

2/2/2016 at 1:11 AM

Let's make it clear, there is evidence that Muhammad lived, there is *no* evidence that is accepted outside of Christian mythology followers that their people existed.

P.S. http://www.geni.com/projects/People-killed-by-Judeo-Christian-God-F...

2/2/2016 at 1:34 AM

Lots of people from Norse mythology (almost everyone where we can trace the source to a specific medeival manuscript) are not labelled fictiious.

There are some where we haven't even figured out which piece of possible-fiction they came from - some people label those fictious some of the time. And some are nown to be invented by a particular author in a particular piece of historiy-based literature - it's reasonable to label those "fictious" too.

Geni should reflect the sources.

2/2/2016 at 1:52 AM

Adam... we are talking about Adam from Eden.

The person who not only didn't exist, but whose existence is actually impossible. Humans went through a bottleneck (there is still an argument whether it was as recently as 100 000 years ago or as long as 2 000 000 years ago) and that bottleneck can still be detectable in our genetics.

And here we are talking about Biblical Adam 80-some generations ago. The profile that says "the first human" (something that is actually nonsensical, because there is no such thing as the first human).

2/2/2016 at 1:52 AM

PS. I have gone and reported the profile as fake. It should really be done by everybody.

2/2/2016 at 2:04 AM

That is simply untrue Volodya. There is as unquestionable evidence for many people in the Judeo Christian texts as for Mohammed: Herod, Pontius Pilate etc etc all existed.

2/2/2016 at 2:19 AM

Sharon Doubell While you may find some that did, Adam, Eve, Jesus definitely didn't.

2/2/2016 at 2:20 AM

I am, however, looking for help to find the line from this woman into the World Tree: 'Mrs Ples' Australopithecus Africanus. All help appreciated :-)

2/2/2016 at 2:26 AM

Volodya - while Adam and Eve didn't - there is no 'definite' about Jesus at all. And I'm speaking as an atheist - so I have no dog in the fight- except accuracy - and you are making sweeping ahistorical generalisations.

2/2/2016 at 2:33 AM

Sharon Doubell,

Read the thread the main issue here is that Adam of Eden and Eve of Eden have somehow gotten connected to the global tree, and real people are now linked to them. They are also not marked as fictional profiles.

I mean personally i think that fictional profiles should be added to MyHerritage and '''not''' to Geni. I would not add any myself. But i do understand that for now we do have Adam (Assyrian mythology) ., Eve (Assyrian mythology) ., Lilith the Demoness, etc. and people find these profiles fun. But they clearly state that they are mythological, and if such a problem happens with them (getting connected) it'd be quite trivial to separate them (just find the first 'real'-'fake' connection and split).

Secondly, nobody talks "as an atheist". You speak as yourself, and words are either correct or not. Adding "as an atheist" adds nothing to this discussion at all.

2/2/2016 at 3:58 AM

Speaking as myself, your words regarding the Judeo Christian bible were incorrect :-).
Your comparison to Mohammed - a person who lived centuries later - appeared to me to be incongruous.

I don't have to read the threads to know the discussion - there is usually at least one running debate going on on Geni about exactly this question of the tree representing someone's religious teleology: Adam, Eve, Odin, Gaia (I think I'm descended from her a couple of times :-))
They're often highly enjoyable in that they force us to ask philosophical questions about history, mythology, religion and genealogy - that we might otherwise not get to chat about.

What people don't tend to explain, is why they expect the effect of crowdsourcing genealogical data would be different than to produce an origin point in the mists of prehistory?

2/2/2016 at 8:40 AM

When Geni shows that someone is descended from Adam and Eve, the problem is ALWAYS much further down the line. Clean up your line and you won't have the problem.

My line on Geni currently goes back through a wife of Muhammed, but there are no known descents from him in western Europe. The lines that are usually given are fake, the result of wishful thinking.

Some of us used to try to keep them clean. It doesn't work. Too many users put them back. There has to be a general will to admit it when the evidence isn't there. That will doesn't exist on Geni.

2/2/2016 at 9:43 AM

I believe in the Bible. Every one have their own opinoin about Adam and Eve.
I do believe that Jesus was Mary child. Yes I do believe in Jesus to plus DNAresults will tell to.

Private User
2/2/2016 at 12:36 PM

My line on Geni currently goes back through a daughter of Muhammed, but before that, it did go via another way down to Adam.

2/2/2016 at 12:55 PM

I would expect that all of our Jewish family tree lines to be connected up to the Israelitish Tribe of Judah.By way of contrast it would be interesting to see how many of those who claim to be descended from the Lost Ten Tribes of Northern Israel have actually traced their ancestries back to complete the connections of the Biblical genealogy tree to some of the other parts of the World Family Tree of Geni.com.I wonder if we could see any connections of the Greek,Roman,Celtic,Germanic/Teutonic,Slavic,etc ancient religious figures to those of us with European ancestry.Same goes to those of us in this World family trees with native American,African,Asian,Pacific Oceanic,etc roots.

2/2/2016 at 1:50 PM

As always, the issue seems to be labeling & connecting.

Everyone can do their part by examining dubious connections and raising discussions from the profile with suggestions for corrections.

Private User
2/2/2016 at 1:58 PM

Erica Howton

Yeah, with the risk of being imediately blocked by an upset curator who created that dubious profile... ; )

2/2/2016 at 2:31 PM

Well, I'll do my part. :)

Starting with completing the separation of the Morgen, Geoffrey of Monmouth Text family. I believe her father's family needs "fiction" vs. "real" work, & she's missing more relationships in her fictional world.

2/2/2016 at 3:02 PM

all those Book religious have a purpose to create events in futur history, i dont beleive adam and eve more than a muamad prohet have ever existed

the fun is to look and analyse for cohenrency and exactitude of the chronologie

and for now we are only dealing with the amount of profile we got
it miss alot of tribes and lost ppl and their beleive (sprit world)

btw
Abel .
die age 3 but have the time to get maried 3 times

i notice lucifer is part of the geni tree
HELL YEAH ! the morning star!!!
but he is a deceived angel not archangel FYI

Lucifer

jesus in the talmudic view book is roten with him with boliing excrement how we conect them?

2/2/2016 at 4:37 PM

I'm just glad there is no path from Lucifer to me! Well not just glad but surprised too!

2/2/2016 at 4:43 PM

:)

I just added a curator note to Satan:

"Mythological. Please raise a discussion if you find Him connected to the World Family Tree through a relationship path to you."

When there are good notes like Colin Bruce Milne had in the profile, glad to curate.

Come on people we can do this! I love Morgan le Fey for instance, & I'm pretty sure the TH White books on Arthur come with family trees.

2/2/2016 at 4:55 PM

Lucifer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan

The Correct Satan?

If so I will add the images

2/2/2016 at 4:59 PM

Erica, I find your Curator Note confusing as that profile for Lucifer is connected to the World Tree already :)

Bill, as i understand it there are multiple Geni profiles for a lot of these characters as they appear in several (slightly different) pantheons. So the wikipedia article you linked is undoubtedly for the same person but may not be the correct version for that profile.

2/2/2016 at 5:07 PM

Lucy (Australopithecus) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Australopithecus) has always fascinated me

2/2/2016 at 5:11 PM

I LOVE GENi always full of debate and excitement

Showing 1-30 of 251 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion