Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts
12/6/2017 at 4:45 PM

Daniel1 Brewer of Roxbury who died 1646 needs help:

George Brewer

Thank you to Robert Burnham Brewer, Jr. for pointing this out. Robert Burnham Brewer, Jr.

This should be relatively easy to sort out since the family is treated by Robert Charles Anderson, FASG in The Great Migration Begins p 225+

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/2496/42521_b158318-00299/44620

The evidence provided by Anderson suggests his origins and parents are unknown we presume he was born in England. He had five known children the first three born in England before he arrived and the last two born Roxbury: Daniel, Anne, Joanna, Nathaniel and Sarah.

There is also an account in Dawes-Gates 1:108-11

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89066183567;view=1up;seq=142

What Robert is astutely pointing out is we have too many children and we need to disconnect some of them.

George has no evidence for existence according to Anderson. Yes his profile is MP'd. He needs to be disconnected and changed to NN at best.

Hannah also has no proof according to Anderson.

None of his daughters married.

And Thomas and Thomas John just look like Internet nonsense.

12/6/2017 at 4:48 PM

Private User or Erica Howton can we please delete this profile for George Brew who the Great Migration Project says never existed? He's currently MP'd:

George Brewer

12/6/2017 at 4:56 PM

Fixing birth dates and places:

Sending message to Angus Wood-Solomon

This one needs to be updated to born 8 Mar 1638 in Roxbury:

Sarah May

12/6/2017 at 4:59 PM

The birth place of both Daniels should be changed to just England since we don't know where they came from:

Sr Anderson estimates 1600
Daniel Brewer, Sr.

Jr Anderson estimates 1625
Daniel Brewer

12/6/2017 at 5:02 PM
12/6/2017 at 5:09 PM

I'm not seeing this death in Roxbury VR 2:472-3"
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89064881170;view=1up;seq=484

Disconnecting this couple and I think they should be deleted:

Thomas John Brewer

12/6/2017 at 5:47 PM

I'll be happy to take care of this. I work early Roxbury families since I am a Cheney / Johnson descendant.

12/6/2017 at 6:29 PM

Roland Henry Baker, III

I have some questions:

Zombies refer to profiles that are living but should be dead. I'm confused about what you need done around Thomas Brewer, the brother of Daniel Brewer b. 1600 of Roxbury.

I assume that the second John Brewer b. 1662 is extraneous and should be disconnected. Is that correct?

12/6/2017 at 6:42 PM

I took care of the two fictitious profiles Roland mentioned by merging them into other profiles. They could come back - they are in MyHeritage trees.

I would think they were old Ancestral File profiles “nice try, no cigar, impossible tree, didn’t you notice in your GEDCOM copy ?”

:)

12/6/2017 at 7:45 PM

Thanks Hatte and Erica

12/6/2017 at 10:55 PM

I think we have done all the edits / detaching / attaching mentioned but let us know if not.

I first went to the link in the discussion for Daniel Brewer, who turned out to be the wrong Daniel Brewer. You meant the father, so I had to backtrack a little.

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle
Private User
12/7/2017 at 5:32 AM

Could daughters Hannah and Joanna be the same?

12/7/2017 at 9:03 AM

See Thomas Chandler

Private User I think you’re correct, and they should be de MPd and merged with the real Hannah Brewer & Thomas Chandler

12/7/2017 at 10:50 AM

The suggested edit we did not make yesterday has to do with the daughters. Roland wrote "None of his daughters married" which I thought referred to Daniel Sr. but the tree has spouses and possibly children.

12/9/2017 at 3:10 PM

Sorry for the wait. I had to clean up a few other families before we could lock relationships on the children. And I kept on finding duplicates and excess children, etc.

Please locked relationships and name for Hannah (Unknown) Chandler:

Hannah Ann Chandler

We need to lock the names on her two NN parents as well.

And please also lock relationships on her husband Thomas Chandler:

Capt. Thomas Chandler, Sr.

All the children have been double checked and resorted so they are in the proper birth order.And sources have been added to the profiles.

Please lock relationships for Daniel1 Brewer and his wife Joanna:

Daniel Brewer, Sr.

Joanna Brewer

And now we can lock relationships to their two unmarried daughters so they can't have spouses reattached again:

Anne:
Anne Brewer

Joanna:
Joanna Brewer

That should keep the Chandlers from getting married back into to the Brewer family.

12/9/2017 at 3:35 PM

Daughter Sarah May needs two steps:

1) We need to finish merging in a second tree. I've put in a merge request:

https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000071247207851?highligh...

2) After that's done we can lock relationships for Sarah (Brewer) May:

Sarah May?

and her husband John May:

John May, Jr.

The birth order of the children has already been resorted. Extraneous children have been trimmed.

12/9/2017 at 7:31 PM
12/10/2017 at 7:36 AM

Look great Angus! For some reason the birth order got shifted for Naomi and Elisha. I'm not sure if it matters but Naomi should be 6 and Elisha should be 7:

Naomi Davenport (May
Naomi Davenport

Elisha May
Deacon Elisha May

Otherwise it looks great!

While we are doing John2 May we should probably MP and lock relationships for John1 May and his first Unknown wife and his second wife Sarah Unknown. Also the parents for John1 May are not known. I have a copy of the The American Genealogist article from April 2017 Volume 89.2 which goes into the Mayflower Mays and the non-Mayflower Mays which is cited on the profile:

Caleb Johnson, Sue Allen, Simon Neal, The English Origin and Kinship of Mayflower Passengers William1 White and Dorothy1 (May) Bradford of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire in The American Genealogist (Hanover, PA, TAG, April 2017) 89.2:82+

John1 May who needs two new NN parents:
Capt. John May, of Roxbury

Unknown first wife of John1 May:
Mary May

2nd wife of John1 May named Sarah Unknown:
Sarah May

These other folks John(A) May and Cordelia Bowes currently shown as parents to John1 May are not:

John Henry May, of Shouldham Abbey

Cordelia May?

Townsend, Dorothy May and her relations, NEHGR (1896) 50:462+

John(A) May and Cordelia Bowes were erroneously proposed as parents of Dorothy May wife of William Bradford the Mayflower passengers by Townsend in "Dorothy May and her relations," NEHGR (1896) 50:462+

https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/new-england-historical-...

But that was disproved in the TAG article above. Also John(A) May and Cordelia Bowes were of King's Lynn, Norfolk, England not Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, England as shown on the profiles. So John(A) May should be BIRTH 1575 • King's Lynn, Norfolk, England; DEATH 19 DEC 1617 • King's Lynn, Norfolk, England (Burial is actually in South Lynn) and their children were Henry, Dorothy (not the immigrant) Margaret, Stephen, John, Farnneru and Francis. Their son John may was the Bishop of Carslile and not the immigrant to Roxbury John1 May. The article clarifies that there is another John May of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, England who married Thomasine Cross who are the ancestors of the Mayflower passenger. But that's an entirely different family. There are two more parts to the TAG article in the Jul and Oct issues but they have been delayed due to the demise of Picton Press. Nathaniel L. Taylor, Ph.D., FASG emailed me a few days ago and said the Jul issue will go to press this week and ship in January and then other by Feb. So I'll add updated information about the Mays if there is any in these two issues. Regardless This John(A) May who married Cordelia who should be of King's Lynn, Norfolk was also not the son of John(B) May of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire who married Thomasine Cross. They also had a son John born 1576 but he was of Wisbech. John(B) May and Thomasine Cross of Wisbech had children: Henry, John, Mary, Jacomine and Barbara. Henry(A) May was father of the Mayflower passenger. This is probably totally confusing :)

12/10/2017 at 7:42 AM

We can go ahead and lock relationships for Nathaniel Brewer to his parents, two wives and children:

Nathaniel Brewer

I have one Brewer child left to check: Daniel2 Brewer so don't lock him yet please.

12/10/2017 at 9:41 AM

OK we can now lock down relationships for Daniel Brewer the son of Daniel:

Daniel Brewer

I reviewed his probate records and they only heirs were his wife and his children Hannah Bowen and Daniel Brewer.

12/10/2017 at 12:07 PM
12/10/2017 at 12:25 PM

Roland Henry Baker, III
Something does not look correct here look at the birthdates
Naomi Davenport b. March 20, 1667
Deacon Elisha May b. May 20. 1667

12/10/2017 at 12:57 PM

Roland Henry Baker, III
After disconnecting Capt. John May, of Roxbury from these parents John Henry May, of Shouldham Abbey and Cordelia May I entered what you wrote in this discussion temporarily in the About of the Overview ...Would you look at it and change it where necessary

12/10/2017 at 1:18 PM

I take it we do not know the parents of John Henry May, of Shouldham Abbey

12/10/2017 at 3:42 PM

Thanks Angus!

Fixed:
Naomi Davenport
Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States. Vital Records of Roxbury, Massachusetts, to the End of the Year 1849. (Salem, Massachusetts: Essex Institute, 1925-1926), v.1 p.242.
MAYS, Neomye [Naomi May. C.R.1. = First Religious Society (Unitarian)], [born] May 20, 1667.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89064881204;view=1up;seq=248 link

Deacon Elisha May
Births, in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States. Vital Records of Roxbury, Massachusetts, to the End of the Year 1849. (Salem, Massachusetts: Essex Institute, 1925-1926), v.1 pp.238, .

(238) MAYES, Elisha, s. John, [born] Mar. 20, 1668-9
(239) MAY, Elisha, s. John, bp. 21: 1m: 1668-9 C.R.1 = First Religious Society (Unitarian)
[https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89064881204;view=1up;seq=244 link]

I updated both profiles.

Neither TAG nor NEHGR reviewed the ancestry of John May of King's Lynn in the article iteself. But I think there is a footnote somewhere in there to a visitation... let me go grab it and take another look. I'll also take a look at the notes on John May of King's Lynn.

Thanks so much!

12/10/2017 at 3:55 PM

Here we go Erica:

First footnote is:

Rye's Visitacion of Norffolk 32:198 for "Meye:

https://archive.org/stream/visitacionievisi32ryew#page/198/mode/1up

Which shows the parents and children of John May who married Cordelia Bowes. Their son John was also a Bishop as noted below.

This was discussed it says in Mayflower Quarterly 61:114

TAG 46:117-18
https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-th...

TAG 47:87
https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-th...

Before being retracted.

12/10/2017 at 4:06 PM

So basically this side of the Atlantic all is good.

Back in England we need to parse the notes between

John Henry May, of Shouldham Abbey

John May, of Wisbech

The former were previously proposed to be the ancestor of the Mayflower family - a claim that has been retracted. The later are the actual grandparents of Dorothy White of the Mayflower via their son Henry. Also via Thomosine Cross' 2nd husband Edward White parents to mayflower passenger William White and therefore grandparents to Resolved and Peregrine White. The name Peregrine coming from Thomosine's nephew Peregrine Cross.

12/10/2017 at 4:19 PM

OK I'm going to stop editing because I'm going to clobber Erica's fine work. I'll hold off.

John May B of Wisbech and Thomosine Cross, Children:
Henry say 1570,
John May of Wisbech, bp 8 DEC 1576 Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Mary, 1578 • Wisbech,
Jacomine, 1580 • Wisbech, Cambridgeshir m Jan l'Ecluse
Barbara 1582 • Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

Source - in print only:

Caleb Johnson, Sue Allen, Simon Neal, The English Origin and Kinship of Mayflower Passengers William1 White and Dorothy1 (May) Bradford of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire in The American Genealogist (Hanover, PA, TAG, April 2017) 89.2:82+

Children of John May of King's Lynn and Cordelia Bowes:
Henry
Dorothy
Margaret
Stephen
John
Farnneru
Francis

Note birth dates given.

There is also a second John living in Wisbech presented in the article below. But that's also the wrong John. He had a daughter Dorothy who married instead Thomas Dorman and they had no son John - that was an error in NEHGR according to the latest TAG article above. The original article is:

Townsend, Dorothy May and her relations, NEHGR (1896) 50:462
https://www.americanancestors.org/databases/new-england-historical-...

12/10/2017 at 4:28 PM

can you work on Wisbech because you have the article?

I found the vistitation of Norfolk

https://archive.org/stream/visitacionievisi32ryew#page/198/mode/2up

And it looks like Drucilla Carpenter needs to go away

(I'm finally beginning to wrap my mind around this)

12/10/2017 at 4:37 PM

No problem!

Showing 1-30 of 37 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion