Project "overview"

Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 481-495 of 495 posts

William, I'm not sure I understand your question about crossover lines. If you've entered your connections on Geni, then the info is there and Geni will calculate relationships based on it. Geni looks for the shortest path, so it might not display the line you want, but the line is there and can potentially come into play when you calculate relationships to other people in the same general area of the tree.

If you and Leslie both had an autosomal ("Family Finder") DNA test, you might find that you have some matching segments. The odds are increased because you have multiple Allen descents, but the two of you are so distant (8th cousins 1x) that the odds are against it. Even at the 4th cousin level, the odds of a match start to drop.

The DNA results reported at the Allen Project are yDNA results, not autosomal. With your interest in genealogy, you ought to have a yDNA test (if you haven't already), then perhaps follow up with an autosomal test if you're interested. Your yDNA results would help the project create a better picture.

One of my major projects right now is working with my autosomal DNA to see if I can get additional confirmation of the ancestry of a woman I'm relatively certain was an Allen, a descendant of the Maryland Allens.

The thing that makes it possible, but also difficult, is that have two other descents from the same Allen family. My great grandfather's were 4th cousins, both Allen descendants. The woman I'm trying to prove was his mother's grandmother. If she fits where I think then my great grandfather's parents were actually also 3rd cousins, and his mother's parents were themselves 3rd cousins.

Complicated and mind-numbing ;)

I have some small matches to other descendants of the Maryland Allens. My dad's sisters and brother have other matches to them, sometimes the same as mine, sometimes a bit bigger, sometimes entirely different, and sometimes to people I don't match myself.

The trick has been to see if I can isolate any of these matches as coming from a particular Allen line. In theory yes, because those bits of DNA will have come from other ancestral lines, not just from the Allen immigrant, but it's turning out to be very difficult.

I'm making progress but I expect to be working on this for another few years.

I wish I could get my dna tested. One of the first things I will do when I win the lottery ;-)

Oh William Arthur Allen I am so excited that I have to share with you I found Prince Allen's will on Ancestry.com!

Thanks Justin..

Just posted about DNA in his discussion.

Looking at DNA results his Y Haplogroup is Y-DNA R-L21

First sequence of male descendents will have this pattern.
13,24,14-15,11,11-14,13,12,12,14,13,30,18,9-10,11,11,25,15,19,32

see https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/allan/dna-results

Please look at the Allen records in Thurcaston with Crapston (https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000078807615428&). The records DO NOT match any of what is known about the two Ralph Allens of Sandwich, MA, beyond the name. It also appears to show that the Ralph Allens of Thurcaston stayed in Thurcaston well after the immigration of the family of George Allen, of Sandwich (George Allen, of Sandwich) and Ralph (Stonemason) Allen Jr. to the colonies.

Great, thank you Richardson B. Allen

I just received the following merge request:
https://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000003075678867?to=600000008...

I don't believe the above are the same, but perhaps the second George should be merged as follows:
https://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000080745335984?return=dupli...

Because I know that the Allen tree has been messed up in the past, I don't want to do any merging on my own. But I would be willing to do the work of merging them and their wives and children if people agree it should be done.

Looking at their trees, I see that George of Weymouth is not showing any descendants past his children, and the other George is not showing any ancestors, either for him or his wife. So the merge would just be their wives and children.

Oh, I see Angus Wood-Salomon has already merged them. Thank you.

A question. In the sources, there is a text called "allen.pdf", added by Nicholas James Vetrovec, the text on George Allen by Jack E. Mac Donald. Unfortunately the text in the sources only includes the first file of Jack's text, with a link to the next part of the text. I'm afraid that the link to the next part does not work anymore. The "http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com" site had a major crash several months ago, so the the text by Jack is gone. Do you want a full copy of the text? It is about 1.20 MB in size.

A note about the source of George Allen, of Sandwich. There are at least two items that suggest that George came from Somersetshire:

1) George's servant, Edward Poole, was born in about 1609, based on the age of Edward in the 1635 passenger list. In a search of the baptisms of a possible Edward Poole, there are 2-3 candidates, all in Somersetshire.

2) There is also the marriage of a Ralph Allen alias Cornish and Susan King on 17 Apr 1634 in Cloford, Somersetshire. Remember that about 40 years later, the wife of Ralph (Wheerwright) Allen, Sr. was first listed in various Society of Friends marriages as Susana or Susannah Allen. I have seen several other wives of other families that are listed as both Susan and Susannah.

I think that I mentioned the second item before, but the two items together suggest that George's source should be focused in Somersetshire. Neither the parish registers or the Bishop's Transcripts list a George Allen who matches George Allen of Sandwich or his children, except possibly the 1634 marriage. Unfortunately, many of the early parish registers or Bishop's Transcripts have been lost. So we might need to find other types of record, such as land. Little of this type of record is on-line.

I'm afraid that I have no data on Agnes Pelesholle or Agnes "Ann" Alleyn. Right now I am working on the Bread or Breed families of Bedfordshire, so no time to work on this problem above.

Got a note re: Agnes "Ann" Alleyn

“You mean Pateshale of Thaxted, Walter Pateshale had connections with the Aleyn family including John Aleyn Mayor of London. Walter Pateshale was auditor of fieau-montis lands for the King and you will find him mentioned in a few places in https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/ sometimes alongside Thomas Crumwell/Cromwell who worked with him at one stage. There are several Pateshales mentioned in Letters and Papers.”

Keep getting message from the system that there are duplication's, and asking the merge if they are correct. Did not try since it was stated on the web site not too. Needs to be fixed. or contact the member that it is not needed and remove it.
Hope all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and look forward to all having a Merry Christmas.

Showing 481-495 of 495 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion