Please read this overview in its entirety before considering adding any profiles.
Members of American, Australian, Brazilian, Canadian, Chinese, Dutch, English, Irish, and Scottish lodges should not be added here. Read on to find out why.
This is the master project for Freemasons on Geni.
Freemasons, or simply "Masons," have been an important part of Western culture for centuries and have immeasurably shaped the world through their leadership, altruism, public service, and character. Although the most famous Freemasons have been presidents, CEOs, and other public figures, the vast majority of Freemasons were and are small-town members working in their own communities to advance Masonic principles and traditions. Due to their esoteric nature, they have also been the recipients of much inquiry and curiosity over the years.
Freemasons are added to the sub-project for the country (or countries) in which they were a member. This means that someone might be in a sub-project not associated with their nationality.
For example, Benjamin Franklin was a member of American lodges but was also a member La Loge des Neufs Soeurs (The Nine Sisters Lodge) in France, meaning he can be listed under the eventual "Freemasons in France" sub-project even though he lived mainly in America.
Please help to see which countries need sub-projects by adding names to the master list below when you add them to the project!
Profiles to Add
Profiles should be added to this project if they are for Freemasons who do not fit into the current sub-projects, which are:
- Freemasons in America
- Freemasons in Australia
- Freemasons in Brazil
- Freemasons in Canada
- Freemasons in China
- Freemasons in England
- Freemasons in Ireland
- Freemasons in The Netherlands
- Freemasons in Scotland
Whenever possible, Masons should have their membership confirmed by themselves or their Lodges (primary documentation), or by reputable scholars (secondary documentation). If you are using Internet resources to find lists of Masons, be sure to use only reputable, sourced ones.
Please do add:
- Profiles for people confirmed to be members of lodges outside the U.S., Brazil, Canada, England, Ireland, The Netherlands, and Scotland (see above)
- Lodge names/numbers in the "About Me" field on their profile whenever possible
- Sources in the "About Me" field on their profile
Please do not add:
- "Suspected" or rumored Masons
- Names from conspiracy theory websites
- Masons who fit one of the existing sub-projects (America, Brazil, Canada, England, Ireland, The Netherlands, and Scotland)
- Members only of affiliated organizations (like the Order of the Eastern Star)
Research Tips & Suggestions
Although his suggestions are somewhat America-specific, Ben M. Angel has shared with us some excellent on-line resources you can use to research your Masonic ancestors. Please see his discussion thread for more detailed information on working with local lodges.
The best place to start is A Page About Freemasonry, the world's oldest Masonic website. It posts no genealogical information, but does have lots of good general information about Masons and how to contact state and local lodges.
Freemasons by Country
- PLEASE READ BEFORE ADDING PROFILES
Note: For our purposes, the nations of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland will be listed as separate countries, regardless of debates over their geopolitical status.
Antarctica (Neutral Landmass)
- Rear Adm. Richard E. Byrd -- First Antarctic Lodge No. 777
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart -- Zur Wohltätigkeit Lodge
- King Leopold I -- Grand Orient of Belgium
Brazil (including Colonial Brazil)
- See: Freemasons in Brazil
Canada (including Colonial Canada)
- See: Freemasons in Canada
- Salvador Allende -- Lodge Progreso No. 4, Valparaíso
- Jean Sibelius -- Suomi Lodge No. 1, Helsinki
- Giacomo Casanova -- Lodge of the Duke of Clermont, Lyons
- Benjamin Franklin -- La Loge des Neufs Soeurs, Paris
- Capt. John Paul Jones -- La Loge des Neufs Soeurs, Paris
- Jérôme de Lalande -- La Loge des Neufs Soeurs, Paris
- Charles Lennox, 2nd Duke of Richmond -- Chateau d'Aubigny and Rue Bussy, Paris
- Jacques-Étienne Montgolfier -- La Loge des Neufs Soeurs, Paris
- Joseph-Michel de Montgolfier -- La Loge des Neufs Soeurs, Paris
- Louis Philippe II, Duke of Orléans -- Grand Orient de France
- Voltaire -- La Loge des Neufs Soeurs, Paris
- Johann Gottlieb Fichte -- Lodge Pythagoras of the Blazing Star, Berlin
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe -- Lodge Amelie, Weimar
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk -- Macedonia Risorta Lodge No. 80, Thessaloniki
- Richard Chaloner, 1st Baron Gisborough -- St. John the Baptist No. 639, Mussoorie
- Rudyard Kipling -- Hope and Perseverance Lodge No. 782. E.C., Lahore
- Silvio Berlusconi (former member) -- expelled by Grand Lodge
- Enrico Fermi -- Lodge Andriano Lemni, Rome
- Giuseppe Garibaldi -- Grand Orient of Italy
- Sante Garibaldi - Loggia Francesco Guardabassi di Perugia
- Benito Juárez -- Rito Nacional Mexicano de la Logia Independiente, No. 2
- Augusto Cesar Sandino -- Grand Lodge of Mexico
- Richard Chaloner, 1st Baron Gisborough -- Wahab or Benevolent Lodge No. 988, Sealkote, Karachi
- Simón Bolívar -- Lodge Order and Liberty No. 2
- Emilio Aguinaldo -- Pilar Lodge No. 203 (now Pilar Lodge No. 15) in 1895 and Magdalo Lodge No. 31 (now Emilio Aguinaldo Lodge No. 31)
- Andres de Castro Bonifacio -- Taliba Lodge No. 165
- Francisco Afan Delgado
- Ladislao N. Diwa -- Taliba Lodge No. 165
- Jose M. Dizon -- Taliba Lodge No. 165, Grandmaster
- Arturo Fortich -- Dagohoy Lodge No. 84, Grandmaster
- Teodoro Manguiat Kalaw Sr. -- Nilad Lodge No.12
- Teodoro Villanueva Kalaw Jr. -- Nilad Lodge No.12
- Gen. Douglas MacArthur -- Manila Lodge No. 1
- Teodoro Plata -- Taliba Lodge No. 165
- Manuel Luiz Quezon -- Sinukuan Lodge No. 272 (now Sinukuan Lodge No. 16)
- Crisanto Mendoza de los Reyes -- Pandacan Lodge
- Jose Turiano Santiago, Taliba Lodge No. 165, "Nereo"
- Manuel Bundoc Tinio -- Cabanatuan Lodge (now Manuel Tinio Lodge)
- Mariano Quijano Tinio
- Alexander Pushkin -- Lodge Ovid, Kischinev
- Marcelo H. del Pilar -- Solidaridad Lodge No. 53, Madrid
- Antonio Luna -- Solidaridad Lodge No. 53, Madrid
- Juan Novicio Luna -- Solidaridad Lodge No. 53, Madrid
- Jose Protacio Rizal -- Acacia Lodge No. 9
- Simón Bolívar -- Lodge of Cádiz
- Bernardo O'Higgins -- Lodge of Cádiz
Sri Lanka (including colonial Ceylon)
- Sir Alexander Johnston -- Provincial Grand Master of Ceylon