People Connected to Cumberland
Historic County of England
How to use this Page
- Please link any GENI Profiles with links to Cumberland to this project.
- You can ALSO add the earliest heads of families to the list of Cumberland Families on Geni below (don't forget to link their profiles to the project as well). These would usually be male! Please restrict people added to the list to the earliest head of family!
Note People with links to Cumberland can be linked to the project but not necessarily added to the list below.
People connected to Cumberland can also be linked to the following projects.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historical Cumberland which covers the History of cumberland and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Cumberland - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Cumberland who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Cumberland families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project.
Feel free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Heads of Cumberland Families on Geni
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Other links take you to external biographical web pages.
- James Bland (ca 1575 - 1620) of Penrith.
- The Clifford family was a family of bankers, merchants and regenten of English descent active in Amsterdam. The family originated in northern England, though their surname originates in the village of Clifford. Northern England was the home of the noble Clifford family, since Roger Clifford was born in Cumberland and died in Brough Castle in Westmorland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_family_(bankers)
- John Ismay (1669-1725) Ancestor of the Shipping/Titanic survivor Joseph Bruce Ismay - director of the White Star Line of steamships.
Emigrants from Cumberland
Please add the names of people from Cumberland who settled in the "New World"
Other Pages for People Connected to English Counties
People Connected to Middlesex inc. London
this project is in HistoryLink