South African Towns and Cities - inc. Founders and Origins and namechanges
The object of this project is to assemble information about South African Towns and Cities, and where possible record record information about the founders and origins. Where those who were instrumental in establishing the place have a GENi profile please link them to the project.
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
If you have anything to add please do so!
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so join the project.
See Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- Add the profiles of the founders of places in South Africa to the project. If the person is on Geni please add the link to their profile, and make this a bold entry. If the person is not on Geni add a link to an external source but do not make the link bold. This will help us to see who still needs to be added/found on Geni.
- Add the Place name to the list below - arranged Alphabetically.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section .
To join a project use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Abbotsdale Western Cape
- Established in 1870 as an Anglican Missionary Staion.
- Named after: Bishop Abbot
- Town Theme: Small town.
- Historical fact: Each family received 1 stand for which they paid rent to the church and school. By 1881 there were 150 families.
- Old number plate on cars - CK 123
Aberdeen Eastern Cape
- The town was founded in 1855 and got municipal status in 1858.
- Origin of the name - Ds Andrew Murray named the town to Aberdeen in Scotland, where he was raised and where his father was born.
- Ds Andrew Murray
- It was previously called Brakkefontein
- It is the biggest supplier in "bokhaar" production in South Africa.
- Historical facts.
- This town used to have the biggest private Zoo in South Africa.
- The town has the biggest Church Tower in South Africa
- Captain Lawrence Edward Oates became famous for his South Pole expedition in 1910 were he served under Captain Robert Scott.
- During the Anglo Boer War he was nursed in this town in a tent.
- Lawrence Edward Oates
- The farm Brakkefontein had been bought for this purpose by Jan Vorster.
- Today, Aberdeen is one of the declared architectural conservation areas of the Karoo, and many examples of Victorian architecture can be found there. According to legend, the last wild Quagga was seen in the Aberdeen area.
- Old number plate for cars - SMG 534 EC
- Adelaide's origins date back to 1834 when a British officer named Captain Armstrong established a military encampment which he named Fort Adelaide after the wife of King William IV Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen.
- Adelaide lies in a part of the Eastern Cape that is rich in history due to the confluence of South Africa's three main population groups.
- Adelaide is a town and area in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. Population 12,000 (2001). Adelaide is situated near the Great Winterberg Mountain range. The town is a beef, mutton, wool and citrus farming district
Albany (Riebeeck East)
- General Jacob Glen Cuyler, the Landdrost of the Uitenhage district, named the area between the Sundays and Fish rivers "Albany" after Albany in his native New York.
- Jacob Glen Cuyler 1773-1854 Founder
- Albany became the destination for the 1820 Settlers by the Cape Colony's new British masters.
- It accepted one of the largest waves of British immigrant settlers to South Africa, and the development of Albany was a milestone in the formation of the British diaspora. Grahamstown, Bathurst, and Port Alfred became important villages in Albany following the arrival of the 1820 Settlers.
- The area was previously known as the 'Zuurveld' by migrating Boer farmers in the late 18th century, and it lay near the boundary between the Cape Colony and the traditional Xhosa lands to the east.
- The ANC government merged the Albany area with the large Xhosa township of Alice as the municipal area of 'Cacadu'
- Jacob Glen Cuyler 1773-1854 Founder
The town was named after the reverend Johannes Rudolph Albertyn of Riversdale, who planned the establishment of a separate church community.
- Like many towns in South Africa, Albertinia was founded by the Dutch Reformed Church.
- In 1908 a big diamond was discovered at nearby Aasvoëlberg—literally Vulture Mountain—but no further finds were recorded. The town became known for its ochre and kaolin mines and is also the centre of the aloe products industry.
- On the 10th of September 1898 the church council of Riversdale bought the farm Grootfontein from a "Mrs H. Lourens."
- A rectory was built by the congregation of Riversdale, and on 17th February 1900 a minister, the reverend D.J. Malan was ordained.
Albertinia was proclaimed a town on 18 November 1904.
- The mining of red and yellow ochre started in 1925 by W.R. van As, although first noticed as far back as 1797 by John Barrow
After the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902, the Alberton Estate Syndicate of Germiston approached the Meyer family to buy part of the farm Elandsfontein to establish a town, close enough to Johannesburg for work but outside the city. The land was sold for 20 000 pounds in 1904, When naming the new town, Hester Meyer declining any personal honour, and the Meyer family having coming from Prince Albert, and General Hennie Alberts had initiated the scheme, they agreed to share the honour between the families and named it Alberton. Although established in 1904, it was only proclaimed a township in 1909.
- Alberton is a town situated on the East Rand of the Gauteng Province in South Africa which celebrated its centenary year in 2005.
- The Afrikaans medium primary school Jan Meyer was named for the original owner of the farm, and the affluent suburb Meyersdal also refers to the family whose original farmhouse mansion still stands on the land behind the Meyersdal koppie.
The first official post office was opened in 1926, and in 1938 building work started on a town hall. Street names in the Alberton North suburb were renamed after Voortrekkers in 1938, to coincide with the 100 year commemoration of the Great Trek.
The town was named in 1850 as a tribute to Sir Harry Smith, the then Governor of the Cape Colony. He named the town "Aliwal" in memory of his victory over the Sikhs at the Battle of Aliwal during the First Sikh War in India in 1846, and "North" in opposition to Aliwal South (now Mossel Bay). The town was laid out in 1849 on ground acquired by the government. This was auctioned and 38 lots were sold for £972
Bassonia was named after the Basson family who owned the farmland ( A portion of the Meyer's Klipriviersberg) that was developed to become one of the most affluent residential areas of Johannesburgs Southern Suburbs.
The town was founded in 1818 and initially named Beaufort after Henry Somerset, 5th Duke of Beaufort, who was the father of [Henry Charles Somerset 6th Duke of Beaufort Lord Henry Charles Somerset], then governor of the Cape Colony. The town was renamed Beaufort West in 1869 to avoid confusion with Port Beaufort in the Western Cape as well as Fort Beaufort in the Eastern Cape.
Francis Charles Russell, 9th Duke of Bedford (1819-1891)
In 1854, one of the leading inhabitants of the district, [who was this?] then in England, conceived the plan and laid out the erven for the village which he named after his good friend, the Duke of Bedford.
Bethelsdorp Village, Port Elizabeth’s first organised settlement, was established in 1803 by Dr Johannes Theodorus Van Der Kemp, a missionary working among the Khoikhoi. (from the Hebrew Beth-El [House of God], the site of Jacob’s dream in Genesis 28)
Bezuidenhouts Valley (Bez Valley)
For a fairly comprehensive history of this suburb of Johannesburg please read the Bezuidenhout Family
Though historically a predominantly Afrikaner settlement, Bloemfontein was officially founded in 1846 as a fort by British army major Henry Douglas Warden as a British outpost. Although modern day Bloemfontein has a reputation for its flowers in an otherwise arid region, the origin of the city's name is unclear. Popular legends include an ox named "Bloem" owned by one of the pioneer farmers that was taken by a lion near a fountain on his property, while another story names Jan Blom (1775–1858), a Korana KhoiKhoi leader who inhabited the area. Bloemfontein literally means fountain of flowers or flower spring in Dutch.
Die dorp is in 1864 gestig nadat diamante in die area ontdek is. Die dorp is op John Barclay se plaas, Klipfontein, uitgelê. John Barclay was 'n oorlewende van die HMS Birkenhead wat in 1852 by Danger Pointgestrand het. Die plek is Bloemhof genoem na aanleiding van die pragtige tuine wat deur Barclay se dogter aangeplant is. Die dorp is in 1865 opgemeet en in 1869 geproklameer.
- Bloemhof is 'n landelike dorpie wat op die banke van die vaalrivier in die Noordwes-provinsie in Suid-Afrika geleë is.
- Dis ook die geboorte dorp van grootwildjagter Cobus Aucamp.
- Die Bloemhofdam is een van die grootste damme in Suid-Afrika.
- Die sanger Bles Bridges is in 2000 in die dorp in 'n padongeluk oorlede
Boshof is the administrative town in the west of the Free State province, South Africa.
Town 55 km north-east of Kimberley. Established in March 1856 on the farm Vanwyksvlei, which had been named after a Griqua who sowed his crops on it from time to time. Named in honour of Jacobus Nicolaas Boshof (1808-1881), second President of the Orange Free State (1855–59) and founder of its civil service. Became a municipality in 1872.
The local commando was involved in the Siege of Kimberley, notably the disruption of the city's water supply at Riverton.
- Andrew Murray Sources added
- Founded 1886
Brandfort is a small town in the Free State province of South Africa.
- Jacobus van Zijl, a Voortrekker elder, established a church on his farm Keerom in 1866.
- The community was visited by Orange Free State president Brand and, shortly afterwards, the town was named in his honour.
- The British built a concentration camp here during the Boer War to house Boer women and children.
- Brandfort was also home to former prime-minister H.F. Verwoerd, who matriculated there.
- Hendrik Frensch Verwoerd
The name Brakpan was first used by the British in the 1880s because of a non-perennial lake that would annually dry to become a "brackish pan".
The town of Bredasdorp was founded with the building of a Dutch Reformed Church in 1838 on the farm Langefontein. The town was named after Michiel van Breda, the first Mayor of Cape Town, who was also known as the father of South Africa's merino sheep industry. Van Breda and Pieter Voltelyn van der Byl could not agree on a location for the church; as a result two churches were built, and two towns, Bredasdorp and Napier, were established.
Die eerste vestiging deur blankes het in omstreeks 1715 begin. Mettertyd het die dorp 'n gewilde gesondheidsoord geword na aanleiding van die warm staalfontein. Dit het eers bekend gestaan as Zwarte Berg of Zwartebergbad, maar is op 13 Desember 1813 hernoem na die graaf van Caledon (Du Pré Alexander, graaf van Caledon), goewerneur van die Kaap van 1807 tot 1811. 'n Dorpsbestuursraad is in 1840 ingestel en munisipale status op 1 Januarie 1884 toegeken. Staalfontein[wysig]
Sewe fonteine met staalwater bereik die oppervlak op min of meer dieselfde plek. Ses se temperatuur is sowat 50 grade Celcius, terwyl die sesde se water koud is. Die fontein lewer 900 000 liter water per dag. Die water is ysterdraend en bevat ook nog ander opgeloste minerale en bevat volgens oorlewering genesende kragte. In 1709 het die eerste wit nedersetter, Ferdinand Appel, 'n huisie vir die siekes by die fontein gebou. Dit was die oorsprong van die fraai dorp. In 1946 is 'n sanatorium en ontspanningkompleks by die bron deur 'n brand in puin gelê. Dit is nooit herbou nie, hoewel daar 'n woonwapark en 'n swembad op die plek staan.
- Caledon is 'n dorp in die Wes-Kaap aan die voet van die Klein Swartberg, 125 km oos-suidoos van Kaapstad en 72 km noordwes van Bredasdorp. Die dorp is 244 meter bo seespieël aan die N2 nasionale pad tussen Kaapstad en Port Elizabeth geleë in 'n distrik, algemeen bekend as die Overberg, wat bekend is om sy pragtige natuurtonele en die staalfontein. Dit is wêreldberoemd om sy groot verskeidenheid heide, protea en ander veldblomtipes. Daar is ook 'n casinokompleks op die dorp.
Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole (1772-1842)
Founded in 1830 on an abandoned station of the London Missionary Society, it was named after Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole, then Governor of the Cape Colony.
The town was founded on 27 August 1818 when a Dutch Reformed church (based on that of St Martin-in-the-Fields in London) was built; it is named after Sir John Cradock, governor of the Cape from 1811 to 1813.
The Drakenstein Mountains were named in honour of H.A. van Reede tot Drakenstein who visited the Cape as Commissioner-General in 1685; Drakenstein (modern spelling usually Drakestein) was the name of his estate in the Netherlands.
Durbanville is a former town in the Western Cape province of South Africa, it now forms part of the greater City of Cape Town metropolitan area. Durbanville is a rural residential suburb on the northern outskirts of the metropolis and is surrounded by farms producing wine and wheat.
Durbanville was founded in the early 19th century around a fresh water spring and was primarily a watering station for travellers between Cape Town and the interior. Durbanville was originally known as Pampoenkraal (from the Afrikaans words pampoen meaning pumpkin, and kraal meaning corral - an enclosure for livestock).
In 1825 a group of local farmers requested permission from Lord Charles Somerset (governor of the Cape Colony at that time) to build their own church. The Dutch Reformed Church was commended in 1825 and inaugurated a year later on 6 August 1826. A small village grew between the church and the outspan (overnight stop). During 1836 the inhabitants of Pampoenkraal petitioned the Governor of the Cape Colony, Sir Benjamin d'Urban, for permission to rename the village D'Urban in his honour. Permission was duly granted and the new name persisted until 1886 when it was renamed to Durbanville in order to avoid confusion with Durban - a major port city in the east of South Africa.
Durbanville had its own court house, jail and magistrate from the 1870s and became a Magisterial District of Bellville. The court house complex still exists in altered form within the Rust-en-Vrede complex, originally erected in 1850. A village management board was established in 1897 and a municipality in 1901. The first mayor elected was John King.
The village grew rapidly after the turn of 19th century and a local wagon industry developed. The King Brothers Wagon Works' used to be South Africa's biggest wagon works. At the turn of the century, it employed more than 200 men, which just about accounted for the entire village.
East London (Afrikaans: Oos-Londen, Xhosa: eMonti) is a city on the southeast coast of South Africa, situated at 32.97°S and 27.87°E in the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality of the Eastern Cape province. The city lies on the Indian Ocean coast, largely between the Buffalo River and the Nahoon River, and hosts the country's only river port. East London today has a population of over 400 000, with over 1.4 million in the metropolitan area.
Lieutenant John Bailie of the Royal Navy, one of the 1820 Settlers, surveyed the Buffalo River mouth and founded the town in 1836, a memorial on Signal Hill commemorating the event. The city formed around the only river port in South Africa and was originally known as Port Rex. This settlement on the West Bank was the nucleus of the town of East London, which was elevated to city status in 1914.
During the early to mid-19th century frontier wars between the British settlers and the local Xhosa inhabitants, East London served as a supply port to service the military headquarters at nearby King William’s Town, about thirty miles away. A British fort, Fort Glamorgan, was built on the West Bank in 1847, and annexed to the Cape Colony that same year. This fort is one of a series of forts the British built, that include Fort Murray, Fort White, Fort Cox, Fort Hare and Fort Beaufort, in the border area that became known as British Kaffraria.
With later development of the port came the settlement of permanent residents, including German settlers, most of whom were bachelors. These settlers were responsible for German names of some towns in the vicinity of East London such as Stutterheim and Berlin. Today, German surnames such as Gehring, Salzwedel and Peinke are still common in East London, but the descendants of the settlers rapidly became anglicised.
The existing port, in the mouth of the Buffalo River, adjoining the Indian Ocean, began operating in 1870. In 1872, the Cape Colony, under the leadership of its first Prime Minister John Molteno, attained a degree of independence from Britain. The new government merged the three neighbouring settlements of East London, East London East and Panmure in 1873, forming the core of the current municipality, and in 1876 it began construction on the region's railway lines, commencing on the river's east bank. At the same time, it began construction of the East London harbour. This new infrastructure rapidly accelerated development of the area, into today’s thriving city of East London.
The unusual double-decker bridge over the Buffalo River was completed in 1935 and to this day, is the only bridge of its type in South Africa. Modern day attractions include the East London Museum housing the coelacanth, a prehistoric fish, thought to be extinct, discovered live at Chalumna Mouth near East London by fishermen in 1938, and numerous memorial statues. The city is well known as a surfing mecca, and its beaches are among the best in the country.
Ellisras now Lephalale
- Established 1960
- Is a town in the Limpopo province of South Africa immediately east of the Waterberg Coalfield. The town was established as Ellisras in 1960 and named after the original farm owners, Patrick Ellis and Piet Erasmus
- In 2002, Ellisras was renamed Lephalale by the provincial government of Limpopo, after the main river that crosses the municipality. Lephalale is divided into three main subsections, Lephalale, Onverwacht and Marapong.
The Freestate town of Fauresmith, was named after Lord Harry Smith and Rev Faure.
Ferreirsdorp (Ferreiras Town)
Ferreirasdorp is an inner-city suburb of Johannesburg, South Africa.
First known as Ferreira's Camp (Afrikaans: Ferreiraskamp) and later Ferreira's Township, it is the oldest part of Johannesburg. Sometimes referred to as the "cradle of Johannesburg", it is where the first gold diggings started and where the first diggers initially settled. The city grew around the mining camp in the Ferreirasdorp area and Johannesburg’s Main Street developed from a rough track where the present Albert Street led off towards Ferreira’s Camp.
The suburb is named after Colonel Ignatius Ferreira, leader of the original group of diggers who settled in this area in 1886.
EXCERPT FROM the Memoirs of Kenneth Harvey Owen dated 1965 (in my possession - Neville Owen - grandson)
I am not sure of the chronological sequence of events of my father’s history but he at one time had a Trading Station together with his brother-in-law Zacky Bowles, at Flagstaff. Whether this was before or after his marriage to Miss Harvey I do not know.
I have often heard him tell of the way in which Flagstaff, in Eastern Pondoland, received its name. When he and Zacky Bowles had the Trading Store there, they decided to erect a flagstaff and on this they hoisted the Union Jack each Sunday in order that it might be known that their store was closed, and from this, the little village of Flagstaff derived its name. My father and his brother made a survey for a water furrow to lead water some 2 miles to their station. This water I believe is still flowing.
Florentia a suburb of Alberton was named after Cornelis Floris Johannes Meyer, son of Org Meyer, after his death his wife sold/donated part of their farm for the establishment of the suburb.
Fraserburg was established in 1851 on the farm Rietfontein, and named after the Scottish immigrant Reverend Colin Fraser, and a church elder G.J. Meyburgh.
In 1820 The Scottish settlers in Pringle's Party were sent to the Baviaans River area, where they settled and called the area Glen Lynden - a Scottish name. The countryside was perhaps reminiscent of a Scottish Glen. The Town of Glen Lynden was built in 1855. Glen Lynden is situated in Bedford, Eastern Cape.
The plaque on the small church reads : Old Glen Lynden Church. This church was built in 1828 by the Government through the influence of Thomas Pringle for the Scottish Settlers and their Dutch neighbours. It became a Dutch Reformed Church in 1829. (Erected by the Historical Monuments Commission).
Cornelis Sebastian Jacob van de Graaff (1734-1776)
The town was founded by the VOC Dutch East India Company in 1786, being named after the then governor of Cape Colony, Cornelis Jacob van de Graeff/Graaf, and his wife Hester Cornelia Reynet
John Graham 1778-1821
Grahamstown was founded in 1812 as a military outpost by Lieutenant-Colonel John Graham as part of the effort to secure the eastern frontier of British influence in the then Cape Colony against the Xhosa, whose lands lay just to the east.
Groblersdal is a farming town is South Africa's second largest irrigation settlement.
Harrismith is one of three towns named of Sir Harry Smith.
Heidelberg began in 1862 as a trading station built by a German H.J. Ueckermann. A town was laid out around the store and named after Ueckermann's alma mater.
On the N2 between Swellendam and Riversdal next to the Duivenhoks River
Humansdorp was founded in 1849, and was named after Johannes Jurie Human and Matthys Gerhardus Human, who were joint founders of the Dutch Reformed Church congregation there. The town's residential streets are lined with trees that were planted before the First World War by the then mayor, Ambrose Saffery.
See Hendrik Spoorbek for a colourful person linked to Humansdorp.
In 1889 a controlling interest (2/3) of Doornkloof was purchased by Alois Hugo Nellmapius, a businessman. Nellmapius had previously established a transport business between Lourenço Marques and Pilgrim's Rest, as well as several industrial concerns (a gin and whisky factory, South Africa's first gunpowder factory, and the Irene lime works).
Nellmapius renamed the farm Irene Estate, after his daughter.
Jacobsdal is a small farming town in the Free State province of South Africa with various crops under irrigation, such as grapes, potatoes, lucerne and groundnuts. The town was layout in 1859 by Christoffel Jacobs on his farm Kalkfontein, and today houses 6,500 inhabitants.t is a small attractive town on the Riet River, and in the 19th century it was near the boundary between the Orange Free State and the Cape Colony. Its district boundaries date back to 1834 when the Cape Colony negotiated with the Griqua Captain, Andries Waterboer. The town was established in 1859 on the farm Kalkfontein, 'lime spring'. The town was named after the farm's owner, Christoffel Johannes Jacobs. It obtained municipal status in 1860. At that time, the Jacobsdal district was one of the largest districts in the Orange Free State republic.
Johann Friedrich Rissik
Christiaan Johannes Joubert
Johannes Petrus Meyer (1882-1919)
The generally accepted origin of 'Johannesburg' is that it was named after Johann Friedrich Rissik and Christiaan Johannes Joubert. But there is also a strong lobby behind a third claimant to the title, veldkornet Johannes Petrus Meyer, the first government official in the area, and the first to attempt to bring order to the area with a system to peg out mine claims.
The town of Kestell is named after the Reverend John Daniel Kestell. Kestell was a descendant from 1820 settler stock, and was born in Pietermaritzburg.
"Colonial Commissioners arrived in New Rush on 17 November 1871 to exercise authority over the territory on behalf of the Cape Governor. Digger objections and minor riots led to Governor Barkly's visit to New Rush in September the following year, when he revealed a plan instead to have Griqualand West proclaimed a Crown Colony. Richard Southey would arrive as Lieutenant-Governor of the intended Crown Colony in January 1873. Months passed however without any sign of the proclamation or of the promised new constitution and provision for representative government. The delay was in London where Secretary of State for the Colonies, Lord Kimberley, insisted that before electoral divisions could be defined, the places had to receive "decent and intelligible names. His Lordship declined to be in any way connected with such a vulgarism as New Rush and as for the Dutch name, Vooruitzigt … he could neither spell nor pronounce it." The matter was passed to Southey who gave it to his Colonial Secretary J.B. Currey. Roberts writes that "when it came to renaming New Rush, [Currey] proved himself a worthy diplomat. He made quite sure that Lord Kimberley would be able both to spell and pronounce the name of the main electoral division by, as he says, calling it 'after His Lordship'." New Rush became Kimberley, by Proclamation dated 5 July 1873. Digger sentiment was expressed in an editorial in the Diamond Field newspaper when it stated "we went to sleep in New Rush and waked up in Kimberley, and so our dream was gone." Direct quote from Wikipedia.
Ladismith is a town and agricultural centre in the western Klein Karoo region of South Africa's Western Cape province. In 1852 the farm Elandsvlei was set aside for the town, and it became a municipality in 1862. It was named after Lady Juana María Smith. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladismith
- Ladismith is 'n dorp in die Kannaland munisipaliteit van die distrik Eden (provinsie Wes-Kaap, Suid-Afrika).
- Die dorpsnaam word met 'n "i" gespel om verwarring met Ladysmith in die provinsie KwaZulu-Natal te voorkom.
- Ladismith is in 1852 gestig en vernoem na Lady Juana Maria Smith (1798-1872), die eggenote van die destydse goewerneur van die Kaapprovinsie, sir Harry Smith.
- Besienswaardighede sluit die plaaslike kerkgeboue van die Pinksterbeweging en Lutherane.
- Die geboortehuis van die bekende Afrikaanse digter C.J. Langenhoven in.
The picturesque Johannesburg suburb of Linmeyer was named after Lynnie Meyer, real name Elizabeth Magdalena Meyer (de Lange) the daughter in law of Jan Petrus Meyer the owner of the original farm Klipriviersberg on which the suburb was built.
Louis Tregardt (1783-1838)
Louis Trichardt (formerly Trichardtsdorp) named after the Voortrekker leader.
The first settlers established themselves in the town in 1744. The settlement was given its present name in 1829 during a visit by the Governor of the Cape, who named it after his father-in-law the Earl of Malmesbury.
With the discovery of gold in the Witwatersrand area in the late 1800s, a further discovery was made called “Black Reef”, which ran along the bank of the Klip River. Johannes Petrus Meyer, a council member for the Klip River District had a vision for a town in this area. The town of Meyerton was officially proclaimed on 6 June 1891. It acquired municipal status in 1961. It has a population of 12,000 and sits on the Klip River, a tributary of the Vaal River.
Georgius Ohrig (1805-1852)
The Amsterdam merchant Georgius Ohrig equipped in 1842 and 1843 the brig 'Brazilie' to South Africa and loaded her with a thousand and one articles which would presumably be welcome to the Voortrekkers, paper, ink and bibles included. The 'Brazilie' visited Port Natal in 1842 and 1843 'with J.A. Smellekamp (1812-66) as supercargo. The first visit excited the Voortrekkers. At the second visit the British had just occupied Port Natal and they commanded the Dutch ship to depart immediately. It sailed to Delagoa Bay to trade there with the Transvalers, but both voyages were commercially unsuccessful. Ohrig lost f.35 000, went bankrupt, emigrated to South Africa, but did not proceed past Cape Town and died there in poverty. His name is preserved in the name of the village of Ohrigstad in Eastern Transvaal, which was founded by the Voortrekkers in 1845
Paarl is the third oldest European settlement in the Republic of South Africa (after Cape Town and Stellenbosch). Abraham Gabbema/Gabemma saw a giant granite rock glistening in the sun after a rainstorm and named it "de Diamondt en de Peerlberg” (Diamond and Pearl Mountain) from which Paarl is derived.
- Parow is a northern suburb of Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa founded by Johann Heinrich Ferdinand Parow who arrived there in 1865.
- During a great storm in Table Bay in 1865, 19 ships were stranded. Amongst the many schooners was the Kehrwieder, the ship of Captain Johann Heinrich Ferdinand Parow. After being stranded, Captain Parow settled down in the Cape of Good Hope and married Johanna Wilhelmina Timmerman, the daughter of the family that helped Captain Parow after being stranded on the Cape coast.
- Parow quickly realised the potential value of the Tyger Valley area north of Cape Town and that the area held great opportunities for cattle trade. Captain Parow soon moved inland to this area and started selling ground in the area which is today known as Parow, which built up a great deal of wealth for the Captain.
- Parow died on 4 December 1910, in his house in Cassibelle, Maitland. His wife, JW Timmerman, died ten years prior. They did not have any children.
- Captain Parow's telescope is in the Town Hall of Parow.
- A village management board was established for Parow in 1902. It was upgraded to a municipality in 1939. The municipality was incorporated into the City of Tygerberg in 1996.
- The Parow valley was included in the Cape Town municipal land area in 1944. *During the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, Parow was largely transforming into a commercial area, with many shopping centres opening around Voortrekker road, one of the longest roads in Cape Town.
- The town was founded in 1836 when sir Benjamin D'Urban donated the farm “Grotefontein” to the church board.
- The 1st stands were sold in in 1841.
- Die kerk het die dorp tot 1901 bestuur.
- Die spoorlyn na Bitterfontein het die dorp in 1902 bereik.
- Die naam is afgelei van die ou Nederlandse woord picquet wat van Frans geleen is en militêre wagpos beteken.
- So 'n pos is reeds in die 1670's aan die voet van die berge gestig om die boere te beskerm teen strooptogte van die Khoikhoi-stamme.
- Soos op baie ander dorpies in Suid-Afrika is die grootste gebou die NG kerkgebou. Piketberg spog met 'n besonder indrukwekkende voorbeeld wat deur die argitek Carl Otto Hager in sy kenmerkende Neogotiese styl ontwerp is.
Pirie (EC 3227 CC) Region in the Amatole Mountains, 25km north west of King
William's Town, at 32 47S, 27 13E, incorporating an indigenous forest reserve. Named after the Pirie Missionary Station situated at 4km from Mngqesha and 17km north west of King William's Town, established in 1830 by Reverend Dr. John Ross and named in honour of Revd Alexander Pirie, then Secretary of the Glasgow Missionary Society, and one of its founders. From - New Dictionary of South African Place Names Peter E. Raper
Port Alfred was established in the early 1820s by British settlers who were moved into the area by Lord Charles Somerset as a buffer between the Western Cape and the Ama Xhosa. Originally it was two separate towns (settlers arriving on the west bank in 1820 named their settlement Port Kowie, and those arriving on the east bank named theirs Port Frances). In 1839, William Cock started to block the natural river mouth to the east and canalise the present opening to the sea. This allowed high-masted sailing ships with their heavy cargo to dock at the wharf. Later, in 1860, when Queen Victoria’s son Prince Alfred visited, the name was changed to honour him.
Sir Rufane Donkin (1773-1841)
Rufane Donkin was given the task of organising the 1820 Settlers in Port Elizabeth. He was officially the first governor of Port Elizabeth from the 6 June 1820 - 1821. He married Elizabeth Markham in Yorkshire who travelled with him to India where she became seriously ill and died in August 1818 after their first son George David was born. Sir Rufane Donkin built a memorial to his wife Elizabeth known as the Donkin Memorial on top of a hill above the city center and named the city, Port Elizabeth, in her memory.
- Potchefstroom is 'n stad in die Noordwes-provinsie van Suid-Afrika.
- Dit was die oudste dorp in die ou Transvaal-provinsie.
- Dit is in November 1838 deur Voortrekkerleier Hendrik Potgieter aan die oewers van die Mooirivier gestig. Die stad staan ook as die "Stad van Deskundigheid" bekend.
- Potchefstroom is 'n groot akademiese dorp. Die Teologiese Skool van die Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika, wat in 1869 op Burgersdorp gestig is, is in 1905 na Potchefstroom verskuif.
- In 1919 het "Het Potchefstroom Universiteitskollege voor Christelike Hooger Onderwijs" ontstaan uit die Literariese Departement van die Teologiese Skool.
- In 1951 is die PUK erken as ‘n selfstandige universiteit wat bekend sou staan as die Potchefstroomse Universiteit vir Christelike Hoër Onderwys (PU vir CHO).
- Die PU vir CHO het in 2004 met die University of the Northwest in Mahikeng saamgesmelt om die Noordwes-Universiteit te word en sou voortaan bekend staan as die Potchefstroomkampus van die Noordwes-Universiteit. Hierdie multikampus en multidiverse universiteit het tot stand gekom nadat die regering verreikende veranderings in tersiëre onderwys aangebring het en wetgewing deurgevoer het wat die aantal tersiêre inrigtings in die land verminder het. Dit het die einde van die Christelike inslag van die universiteit beteken.Die Potchefstroomkampus het 33 000 studente.
- Prins Albert lê aan die voet van die Swartberg en by die noordelike ingang tot die Swartbergpas, op 'n hoogte van 650 meter bo seevlak. Die dorp het sy landelike 19de eeuse karakter met sy kenmerkende grasgedekte gewelhuise bewaar.
- Die dorp het aanvanklik as 'n kerkdorpie ontwikkel. Die leenplaas De Qweekvalleij is op 2 Desember 1762 deur die eerste blanke pionier in die gebied, Zagarias de Beer betrek.
Die plaas was 'n halfwegstasie tussen Kaapstad en Graaff-Reinet, en sy seun Samuel het hier later vername besoekers ontvang, waaronder die Kaapse goewerneurs Joachim van Plettenberg en Jan Willem Janssens. Laasgenoemde is van die bekende reisiger en natuurkundige dr. Hinrich Lichtenstein vergesel.
- Die Kaapse owerheid het egter op 31 Julie 1845 ter ere van koningin Victoria se eggenoot die naam Prins Albert aan die nuwe dorp toegeken.
- Die dorp was in 1891 midde-in 'n goudstormloop toe 'n goudklont naby die dorp ontdek is
- Redelinghuys is a small town in the Bergrivier-municipality, north of Aurora in the Western Cape.
- Die dorp het uit die gemeente van die Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk se stigting hier in 1906 voortgespruit.
- Weens die onbeheerbare grootte van die NG gemeente Piketberg het twee dogtergemeentes twee dae agtereenvolgens afgestig: Aurora op 25 April 1906 en Redelinghuys op 26 April 1906.
- Sabie is a small country town in a deep valley on the escarpment of the Drakensberg mountain range in the Mpumalanga (" place of the rising sun ") province of South Africa. The town is situated at an altitude of 1 100m above sea level and located 360 km (220 miles) east of the Johannesburg International Airport and 64 km (40 miles) west of Kruger National Park.
- The earliest inhabitants of the eastern escarpment region were the Bushmen (San people) as can be deduced from the rock paintings, engravings, artifacts and stone tools found in the area.
- Early Iron Age sites indicate that they, apart from introducing the basic concepts of farming, were also working metals. Smelting furnaces and slag found during archaeological excavations at some of their settlements prove this.
- People from the late Iron Age, which ended with the Difaqane (mid-nineteenth century), left terraced stone-walled complexes (as are also found in other parts of southern Africa).
- The first immigrants to the eastern part of the escarpment belonged to the Basutu-Bafadi (a Sesotho speaking group), who had moved southwards along the interior plateau.
- Simultaneously, Nguni speaking groups were moving southwards, east of the Lebombo mountains. One of these groups was the Swazi, who settled in what is now known as Swaziland after eliminating most of the Basuto-Bafadi groups they encountered there.
- The remaining Basuto then fled back northeast to form the Ba-ka-Ngomane. They were eventually defeated and/or absorbed by consecutive raiding Zulu, Swazi and Shangaan warring parties in the 1820's.
- One of the Sesotho speaking groups - of the MaPai tribe - under chief Lesisi first found refuge in the caves near MacMac, before fleeing to Sekukuniland (Steelpoort area) under the control of chief Sekwan.
- When this group decided to return to the Sabie river area in 1882, they found that the area had been populated by Europeans after the discovery of gold at MacMac and Pilgrim's Rest in 1873.
- The area was excellent for hunting, and has always been malaria-free because of its high altitude. Because of this, white pioneers in the early days used the area as their base camps when hunting and exploring down into the Lowveld.
- The name "Sabie" is derived for "Sabilala", which means "Sabi, the resting place", or from "Saba", meaning fear.
- The Sotho’s and Swazi's in the area gave this name to the river because they feared the spirits of people who drowned there or whose bodies were thrown into the river during the continual wars that were waged, at that time.
- The local Shangaan people called the river " uluSaba" - "the river of fear" because the river was often in flood and teemed with crocodiles. It is from this Shangaan word that the town's name - Sabie - was derived.
- In 1846 the magistrate at Ohrigstad issued the first transport acts to P.J. Badenhorst of the farm "Grootvantijn", in English “Big Fountain”. There are numerous fountains in the area. He sold the farm to Pieter Daniel de Villiers who would later become the father-in-law to General and later Senator Schalk Willem Burger who succeeded President Paul Kruger as president of the Zuid-Afrikaanse Republiek during the Second Anglo-Boer War.
- In 1880 Pieter Daniel de Villiers sold it to Henry Thomas Glynn (1856-1928) for ₤600 where he and his son, also Henry Thomas Glynn farmed and became celebrated big-game hunters.
- The founding of the modern town of Sabie can be dated to 1880, when the Glynn family came to settle here. When they built the first permanent homes, they changed the status of Grootfontein from a camping site to that of a residential area.
- Their son, Henry Thomas (generally fondly remembered as HT) is often considered to be the founder of the town. For many years he took a leading role in the management and improvement of the town. He also gave it its current name, derived from the name of the river.
- The Glynns were renowned for their hospitality and in the year 1895, they were entertaining a group of friends at a picnic at the Klein Sabie Falls. After lunch they lined up the left over bottles to use as target practice. The bullets shipped the rock and exposed the gold bearing reef. They crushed and panned samples and the results revealed good gold. This started a gold-rush into the area and this started the town of Sabie.
- Soon many indigenous forests were destroyed to supply firewood and later mine props. The mining was the actually the start of the huge timber industry in the area around Sabie. Joseph Brook Shires realized that man-made forests would be necessary. He planted the first commercial trees in 1876 and today Sabie is surrounded by one of the world's largest man-made forests.
- Early in 1871 Tom McLachlan a son-in-law to Joseph Brook Shires, James Sutherland and Edmond Button discovered the first alluvial gold on the farm Spitzkop in the Sabie area. In April and June 1873 more gold was found at Hendriksdal and at MacMac.
- However, with the discovery of gold at Pilgrim’s Rest that same year, followed by discoveries at Barberton in 1884 and on the Witwatersrand in 1886, most prospectors left the Sabie area.
- Glynn continued his search, until a reef was discovered in 1897, later known as the Glynn’s Lydenburg mine. Between May 1897 and July 1950 3 427 784 tons of ore was mined, 1 240 646 ounce of gold produced and a profit of R4 234 664 was made.
- The railway line from Nelspruit was declared open on 10 November 1913.
- On 24th September 1915 the first health committee in Sabie met for the first time.
- The first chairman of the Committee was, perhaps unsurprisingly, HT. His initial problem was the absence of funds to lay out and maintain roads and to provide for the needs of the fast growing population, but the emergence of the mines began to secure the town's future.
- Sabie was officially proclaimed a health committee area on 1st January 1916.
- The first post office with telephone and telegraph facilities were granted in 1916. It had only one switchboard and trunk calls could only be made between 08h30 and 17h00 on one main line. On post days the little corrugated iron building serving as post office was crowded to capacity where news and gossip were exchanged.
- Eight years later (on 1st January 1924) Sabie was proclaimed a village council.
- In 'The Founding and Early History of Sabie', a Mr Seryngeour comments that "...very seldom has any township owed so much to its founder".
Simon van der Stel (1639-1712)
The town is named after Simon van der Stel, early governor of the Cape Colony.
This is one of three towns named after SIr Harry Smith.
Simon van der Stel (1639-1712)
- The town was founded in 1679 by the Governor of the Cape Colony, Simon van der Stel, who named it after himself. Stellenbosch means "(van der) Stel's forest or bush"
- Close to Cape Town, South Africa, and surrounded by the magnificent mountain scenery of the Jonkershoek valley lies the historic town of Stellenbosch. Stellenbosch, the country's second oldest town, after Cape Town, was founded in 1679, during the period of control of the Dutch East India Company. Situated 111 metres above sea level on the banks of the upper reaches of the Eerste River. Here the river flows out of the mountains and into a shallow, alluvial and fertile valley.
- Stellenbosch has become known as 'the town of oaks'. These trees being abundant. Some of the oaks have been proclaimed national monuments. When Governor Simon van der Stel first visited the area in November 1679 he was much taken by its beauty. The name Stellenbosch ('Van der Stel's bush') was given to the site of the governor's camp, and by the following year the first settlers had arrived from Cape Town.
- Each year on his birthday Simon van der Stel visited Stellenbosch and presided over a fair with shooting competitions, feasting and games.
Suikerboschrand Nature Reserve, Heidelberg, Gauteng
- Jan Gabriel Marais and his family was the first white voortrekkers to arrive in this area.
- Around 1850 he built his homestead which is now declared a National monument, being the oldest residential building north of the Vaal River. It has been restored by the then Transvaal Administration.
Swellendam was declared a magisterial district,in 1743 and was named after Governor Hendrik Swellengrebel and his 1st wife, Helena Wilhelmina ten Damme.
- Swellendam is the fourth oldest town in the Republic of South Africa, a town situated in the Western Cape province. The town has over 50 provincial heritage sites most of them buildings of Cape Dutch architecture.
Early travellers and explorers who visited the Cape in the 16th century traded with the Khoikhoi people who lived on these shores and in the interior. When the Dutch East India Company established a replenishment station at the Cape in 1652, trade continued inland as far as Swellendam.
- This outlying settlement soon became a gateway to the interior, and was visited by many famous explorers and travellers including François Le Vaillant (1781), Lady Anne Barnard (1798), William John Burchell (1815) and Thomas William Bowler (1860). In time, a village was established beyond the Drostdy, where artisans including numerous wainwrights and traders settled. To travellers and explorers, the services of the village folk were indispensable, as Swellendam was the last outpost of civilisation on the eastern frontier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swellendam Persone gebore -Francis William Reitz, Staatspresident van die Oranje-Vrystaat, is in Swellendam gebore.
Ryk or Rijk Tulbagh (1699 - 1771)
Rijk Tulbagh was Governor of the Cape Colony from 27 February 1751 to 11 August 1771. Tulbagh was the son of Dirk Tulbagh and Catharina Cattepoel, who moved their family to Bergen op Zoom when Rijk was still an infant. As a 16-year old he enlisted with the Dutch East India Company and in 1716 embarked on the ship Terhorst to South Africa. The town of Tulbagh was named after him.
In 1754 Ryk Tulbagh, the governor of the Cape Colony at the time, decreed a set of rules governing the control of slaves known as the "Tulbagh Code", which stipulated what slaves could or could not do.
Jacob Abraham Uitenhage de Mist (1749-1823)
Uitenhage was founded on 25 April 1804 by landdrost (district magistrate) Jacob Glen Cuyler and named in honour of the Cape's Commissioner-General Jacob Abraham Uitenhage de Mist by the Dutch Cape Colony governor, Jan Willem Janssens
Vredefort is a small farming town in the Free State province of South Africa with cattle, peanuts, sorghum, sunflowers and maize being farmed. It is home to 3,000 residents.
The town was established in 1876 on a farm called Visgat, on the Vredefort crater, the largest and oldest visible bolide impact crater in the world (with a diameter of 300 kilometres (190 mi)). It was this approximately 10-kilometre (6.2 mi) wide bolide that led to the preservation of the gold-bearing reefs of the Free State some 2.02 billion years ago. The town got its name after the peaceful conclusion of a threatened war between the Transvaal and the Orange Free State. The British built a concentration camp here during the Second Boer War to house Boer women and children. The Vredefort Dome (Crater) is currently the largest and one of the oldest known meteor impact site in the world. It is South Africa's seventh World Heritage Site and its status is largely due to the efforts of research scientists from Wits University, including Dr. Rodger Hart.
- Genl Christiaan Rudolph de Wet 1854-1922
Arthur Walker (1886-1961)
In 1918 Arthur Walker acquired about 25 square miles to the south of Johannesburg. A portion of the area had previously been a dairy farm belonging to the Butler family,
He felt that the area would be ideal for apples and eventually planted half a million fruit trees. Among the varieties he planted were Rome Beauty and Ohenimuri. The trees were planted in the area known today as Homestead Apple Orchards and Walker's Fruit Farms.
Bernhardus Zibee Stegmann (1832-1920)
Willowmore was laid out on the farm Willow in 1862, founded by Bernardus Zibee Stegmann.
Witsand (White Sands) and Port Beaufort
Benjamin Moodie, Captain (1789-1856)
A Genealogical background of some of the families during the early days of White Sands and Port Beaufort. A timeline starting from 1488 to 1943, photographs, a map and a list of vessels that sank in the mouth of the Breede River.