World War 1 - Wall of Honour
This international project is created in memory of all people, civilian and soldiers, who lost their lives in World War 1 between 1914 and 1918.
For the fallen
They went with songs to the battle, they were young. Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow. They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted, They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them.
by Laurence Binyon.
Casualties of World War 1
Africa - 10.000
South Africa - 7.000
- Lieutenant Douglas Bayley de Bruyn Royal Lancaster Regiment, transferred to 35 Squadron Royal Flying Corps. Killed in a flying accident in Thetford, 27th May 1916, aged 20.
- Shirley Spiro 1916, British East Africa.
- Lieutenant James Lawrence Hedding Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment. Died of wounds caused by rifle grenade, Bethune, Pas de Calais, France
- Pvt Albert Doubell fell in France on 21 March 1918 aged 23 in a German attack on Quentin Redoubt and Gauche Wood.
- Leonard William Entress, Private, 1st Regt., South African Infantry, Service No.: 13483, he died of wounds as a POW aged 19 on 13 April 1918
Australia - 59.000
- 2/Lieutenant William Thomas Dent-Young. 11th Battalion AIF. Wounded in Gallipoli (twice). Killed by shellfire on 11th May 1917 during the second Battle of Bullecourt, aged 29.
Belgium - 13.000
Bulgaria - 101,000
Canada - 67.000
The Caribbean - 1.000
French Empire - 1,385,000
Germany - 1,718,000
Great Britain - 703,000
- Arthur Lumley Appleby
- Private Edgard Battersby 1st Battalion. Killed in action 29th April 1917 at Oppy, aged 37.Died of wounds received 24th April 1917
- Dennis E. Bush
- Harry Raine Cathrick
- Private Lancelot Proctor Dawbarn 7th Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. Killed in action 9th May 1917 at the First Battle of Dorian (fought against Bulgaria), Salonika, Greece.
- James Arthur Graham
- Gerald Wynter Blathwayte
- John Clifford Browne private, 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, killed as a result of shellfire preceding a German attack on trenches at Boyeau, Sailly la Bourse.
- Cyril John Bernard Cowley
- Wilfred Varnish Barrett
- Private Julius Henry Dent-Young "A" Company 1st Battalion 14th London Regiment. Wounded at Hulluch in September 1915. Killed on the first day of the Somme (1st July 1916)
- George William Dunn
- Lieutenant Bartle Laurie Stuart Frere 4th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment. Died 13th November 1916 at Beaumont Hamel.
- 2/ Lieutenant Edgar Frere. London Regiment (Post Office Rifles). Killed in Action, Arras on 22 May 1916.
- Captain Gilbert Frere 10th Bn., Rifle Brigade. Killed In Action, Merville on 26 October 1915.
- Private 21551 Jesse James Holman 1st Battalion,Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Died 27 September 1918 at Gouzeaucourt (Cambrai front).
- William Lockhart Bronner Hope
- Sergeant Major Herbert James Juby MM (1884-1917) Joined Norfolk Regiment, transferred to 35th Coy. Machine Gun Corps. Killed in action 30 November 1917, Cambrai, France.
- Thomas Oliver Newell
- Charles Tower Rayson Godden
- William John Little
- Thomas Cecil de Trafford
- Hugh Cecil Patterson
- Serjent Richard Gordon Pugsley 13th Battalion, Tank Corps. Killed in action on 25th April 1918 in Belgium
- Warwick William Robinson
- Lieutenant Norbert Gerald Shepard D" Howitzer Bty. 103rd Bde. Royal Field Artillery. Died from wounds 2 August 1916, Somme offensive
- Hugo Francis Charteris, Lord Elcho
- Daniel O.H.J McClinton L/Corporal London Regiment
Greece - 5.000
India - 4.300
Italy - 460,000
Japan - 250
Montenegro - 3.000
New Zealand - 18.000
EUROPE: Portugal - 7.000
Romania - 200.000
Russia - 1,700,000
- Peeter Rebane - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Albrecht Sarik / Saarik - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Jaan Kakri - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Jaan Brikker - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Eduard Plangi - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Johannes Pantalon - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Boris Soans - Estonia / Livonia Province
- Pearu August Pitka - Estonia / Livonia Province