Maaij Claesje van Angola - Any known portraits for Maaij Claesje van Angola?

Started by Kirsten-Louise Mason on Wednesday, April 13, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-83 of 83 posts

All waiting in an.......tici............pation!

L2c

So Christijn Pietersz is not Maaij Claesje's daughter but clearly her mother (whoever that is, and we may never know for sure) is West African. Can someone please change or add this information on both profiles.

Will put a Curator note showing the L2c. :-) Thanks for the testing :-)

Hi

If Maaij is not Christijn Pietersz mother, any ideas who is? I have a certain link to Christijn and would like to confirm her mother, if possible.

It appears as if Delia Robertson may regard Maaij and Christjjn to be linked.

“[S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.):1677 Den selfden dito (15 Aug) Magdalena, een slavinne kint
De vader een onbekent christen, De moeder Claesie, 1665-1695, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/”.

RE Delia's maternal assumption: "Maaij Claesje van Angola was suggested as a possible mother candidate for Christijn Pietersz by Mansell Upham in his paper Uprooted Lives."

Lorraine an mtDNA deescendant on Geni, tested with a different mtDNa to 'Maaij' Claesje van Angola and her likely daughter Jannetje van Wijk

Ha-ha-ha-haaa! Private User , I just love your quote from Rocky Horror Picture Show. It takes me back to my youth.

On a more serious note, I don't expect that any picture of Maaij would exist. Firstly, she was an emancipated slave, and secondly, she was (in terms of her own estate as well as that of her parents) financially very poor. Generally, only nobility and those who were filthy rich had their likenesses captured by an artist of talent.

Yes, I also took a closer look at that. Johan Hefer added it, and I presume it's from an illustration of her by a modern artist - which isn't bad to use - as we've done for Krotoa 'Eva' of the Goringhaicona

I want to find out something. The mtDNA Haplograph L4b2b, that descends from mother to child?
I am 99% certain that I have. Maaij Claesje is my mothers, mothers, mothers....mother. So if I test my mtDNA it should be this right and confirm that I am related to Maaij Claesje and that her Haplograph is right through only female line heritage and if its not she cant be my matrilinial great xxxx grandmother?
That would explain some "unusual, non caucasian" features with the females in my maternal side, some more pronounced than others.

Herman -- unless Tretchikoff liked you then you got yr picture done !

Hi Terence .
on yr tree follow bottom line yr mother's mother >>>>mother .

Non Caucasian ? my aunt Mathilda a double for Farah Dibah , Myself olive skin , blond hair , blue eyes -- yet only 4 % non European DNA .

Terrence take the swab !! Maaij yr granny confirm it .

I am 30 % Iberian and atDNA from Australia so remember another source of darker skin and non caucusses features
Wonderful program of female 30 yr old body 11 th century England -definite African features of skull , definite African origin mt DNA yet all her isotopes show birth in W Europe most likely Denmark !

People got around long ago .

Phillipp Weyers Im definitelly going to save to do full DNA. Would be fascinating to see what it says. Looking at the ancestry on the tree im discovering it might be quite the hodge podge. Then again I have no clue how DNA mixes over the centuries with the descendants.

Each person's dna unique mix . Don't think anyone can explain how the actual mix happens .
For a man most dna from male ydna origin .

Full yDNA very expensive about $ 700.
Mtdna about $200

atDNA the cheapest under $ 100.00

"For a man most dna from male ydna origin" Speaking as a complete amateur, as I understand it, very little useful DNA is carried on the Y chromosone?

Each person's dna unique mix . Don't think anyone can explain how the actual mix happens .
For a man most dna from male ydna origin .

Full yDNA very expensive about $ 700.
Mtdna about $200

atDNA the cheapest under $ 100.00

"The Y chromosome is one-third the size of the X chromosome and contains about 55 genes while the X chromosome has about 900 genes." https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1221104110#:~:text=Share%20on...

".. genes on the Y chromosome cannot undergo genetic recombination, the “shuffling” of genes that occurs in each generation which helps to eliminate damaging gene mutations. Deprived of the benefits of recombination, Y chromosomal genes degenerate over time and are eventually lost from the genome." https://theconversation.com/the-y-chromosome-is-disappearing-so-wha....

Not to make the point too loudly; but, as far as I know, men gain substantially more from their X than their Y.

Interesting subject matter.

Read whole of both articles and see the complex developments how ydna does actually survive and restructure. .

Remember atDNA from. Paternal side as well.

Sharon - you are correct we all inherit more dna from our mothers . However we inherit more traits from our paternal dna as those genes express better.
A very complex system

Was commenting specifically on your Y chromosone point, though.

Accepted you were right.

Thinking about a project on Geni for DNA .
Links to explaining the whole DNA system in as simple terms as possible .
As much information as possible and add to it all the time.
A quick reference for Geni users to understand the basics and intricacies of DNA .
Know it's a massiv new field , very complicated and stil a lot of differen views about various aspects of it.

We have projects like that. Makes a lot of sense to add to them and refine though.

Showing 61-83 of 83 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion