Tidy Up of the "Australian Portal" overview

Начала Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 суббота, 29 апреля 2017
Показаны все сообщения (22)
29.4.2017 в 2:35 после полудня

Looking at the Australian Portal and the connected projects it might be time to do a bit of a tidy up and make sure we have all the Australian Projects attached

29.4.2017 в 2:42 после полудня

Ships arriving in Australia are currently being listed in the https://www.geni.com/projects/Australian-Pioneers/26654 project.

Is this the best place or should be have another Umbrella Project "Ships Arriving in Australia" and just have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd fleet under the Pioneer Project?

29.4.2017 в 3:58 после полудня

The Australian Pioneers project is for all immigrants to Australia by ship not just the first 3 fleets.

The current layout is consistent with the New Zealand Pioneer families project and I like consistency.

I think we need to change the title to Australian Pioneers 1788-1900 to make it more clearer as it's not the first time there has been confusion about the scope of the project.

Would you be happy with the name change Джейсон Скотт Уиллс?

29.4.2017 в 4:01 после полудня

yeah if you want to change it. I created the project to place all early immigrants to australia, that could then be added to the subprojects later on as well

29.4.2017 в 5:01 после полудня

I agree with the name change as it makes it clearer.
Does the ship picture also need to change as, I think, the colours match to only the first three fleets which may be confusing people too?

29.4.2017 в 5:07 после полудня

Which projects should the individual ships be linked to
- Bound for xxx (State) eg https://www.geni.com/projects/Bound-for-New-South-Wales/31715
- https://www.geni.com/projects/Irish-and-British-Convicts/25324 (if a convict ship)
Any others?

Personally, I don't think it beneficial to link them all to the https://www.geni.com/projects/Australian-Portal/8863 as it makes it harder to see other projects.

29.4.2017 в 5:10 после полудня

Thanks Jason.

Happy to shorten the scope a bit to 1788-1888

Leanne I'm happy for you to change the picture to something more suitable.

29.4.2017 в 5:19 после полудня

I like the idea of it being till 1900 - ie pre Federation.

29.4.2017 в 5:27 после полудня

l agree linking every ship to the portal just overwhelms things.
Federation makes a good cut off rather than an arbitrary 100 year span, without making the actual time frame that much bigger.
Why would Indo Portal be linked to any Aus projects? CUT!! :)

29.4.2017 в 6:19 после полудня

Tagging other Australian project creators/curators/interested parties that I know of.

Private User
Private User
Pam Karp
Private User
Private User
Private User
Private User

Please tag any others (Apologies if I have missed you)

29.4.2017 в 9:28 после полудня

Australian Pioneers has now been renamed to Australian Pioneers 1788-1900

Leanne I like this image the most
http://www.visitsydneyaustralia.com.au/images/index-sydney-1788.jpg

As far as linking projects to one another, I'll leave that up to you and anyone else who may have some input.

Private User
29.4.2017 в 10:05 после полудня

So long as curators realize that it is difficult for others to add profiles to projects.

Not only must we be a collaborator of the project, but we must also be a manager or collaborator of the relevant profile. If not, a request is sent to the profile's manager. Many times, the manager does not respond, declines the request, or has left Geni.

The interest in projects starts to wane, as it is close to impossible to get a definitive list of profiles for any project.

29.4.2017 в 10:33 после полудня

Hi Private User, This is just about tidying up the Portal Page and linked projects so that it directs people to relevant projects rather than to 100's of projects that might not be relevant (like the International Indonesian Project".

In the tidy up we can also look at merging any duplicate projects

Private User
29.4.2017 в 10:53 после полудня

If it's your intention, I'd call it 'Pre-Federation Immigrants". You can hardly call an immigrant of 1900 arriving in a country with established cities, infrastructure and an extensive railways system a 'pioneer'. They wouldn't see much different to London.

My point is that this discussion is probably only of use to curators, who would be mostly the only beneficiaries of the outcome.

29.4.2017 в 11:11 после полудня

Hi Private User, anyone who is receiving notifications of the discussion who is not interested in it or the outcome, can click on the "Unfollow" button at the top right of the discussion and they will no longer be notified of any posts about it.

Hopefully with a tidier portal it will direct people to relevant projects that they want to be involved in.

30.4.2017 в 7:11 после полудня

I have tidied up the individual state and territory portals and made them more standardised.

Показаны все сообщения (22)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении