"Medical Portal project -- Needs, questions, concerns & related issues"

Started by Patricia Ann Scoggin on Wednesday, April 4, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 225 posts
4/4/2018 at 1:43 PM

This Discussion is for all "Medical Portal project -- Needs, questions, concerns & related issues"

Please feel free to assist in adding & linking medically related projects to the Medical Portal @ https://www.geni.com/projects/Medical-Portal/47725 .

Help is needed in finding the many projects that will fit in this portal. You can either put them directly in the Portal or put the https info here & it will be added to the portal. Don't see a heading that seems to fit??? Put your need in this discussion or add it to the Portal.

Thanks for any & all assistance in expanding this portal.

4/4/2018 at 10:24 PM

Is there anyone who might be interested in helping me by researching the colleges & universities & other schools for those that have medical programs or qualify for the "Training for medical occupations" classification???

I have found quite a few that have medical programs of some sort according to the info in their projects...

Would it be helpful to have a sub heading for "Universities / Colleges" for those that are not for a specific medical profession or occupation but do have some sort of medically related programs??? Any other sub headings needed?

4/5/2018 at 7:47 PM

Erica Howton, Private User, Justin Durand
Please look at the pix options when you have time & see if there is one you think may be a better choice for the new project: https://www.geni.com/projects/Medical-Scientists-Inventors/47792

Does it need a History link???

4/5/2018 at 7:55 PM

Is there anyone with an interest in medical related projects who might be willing to help with creating projects that arise as the Medical Portal is developed??? I have found that as I am adding headings, a potential project idea comes to mind. If you enjoy creating projects, have medical interests & would be willing to help with the development of new projects, please let me know here. I could use some help.

4/5/2018 at 8:05 PM

I will be your helper, I have the flu but getting there, maybe another day or so then hopefully I'll be better and able to start helping.

4/5/2018 at 8:22 PM

Thanks Debbie. Glad to hear that you are getting better.

4/5/2018 at 10:50 PM

Looks like this is going to be a good and valuable project. Thanks for seeing the need and taking the initiative to help us all get organized around this topic.

4/6/2018 at 10:57 PM

Erica Howton,
You mentioned that I should create a portal to cover the Medical training topic. Is this a good title & Intro:

Training for Medical Occupations Portal

This is an project for ALL types of training for those in Medical fields. Add the project to the appropriate category. DO NOT add profiles to this Portal--Add them to the appropriate specific project.

I have 16 references--too many??? or would you like to see the list first before deciding?

4/6/2018 at 11:06 PM

Erica, I have 2 categories within the portal:

1) Medical Schools & Training:
* This section can cover all types of schools that train for medical professions including Medical Schools & Allied health programs, which are an essential part of healthcare that relies on administrative, support, therapeutic, and technological roles, such as medical assistants, pharmacy technicians, physical therapists, radiographers, and medical billing and coding workers.

2) Universities & Colleges:
This section is a listing of Universities & Colleges that have medically related programs as part of their curriculum. The may also include allied health courses & programs.

4/6/2018 at 11:10 PM

Curious -- how will you handle hospitals that in past generations provided training and certification in nursing?

4/6/2018 at 11:42 PM

I agree, nursing and pharmacy schools also. Probably more. My grandfather trained at Lowell Tech in MA

4/6/2018 at 11:50 PM

Veterinarians and dentists. I don’t know how the training categories sort through, but are part of medical portal.

4/7/2018 at 2:12 AM

I guess I considered pharmacy, veterinary & dental schooling in the medical school category. Have added schools for them to the list as well as hospital programs... it now looks like this:

Schools & Training:
This section can cover ALL types of schools that train for medical professions & occupations including, but not limited to: medical schools, schools with chiropractic, veterinary, dental, pharmacy programs, hospital programs, medical administrative programs, allied health programs, which provides administrative, support, therapeutic, and technological roles, such as medical assistants, pharmacy technicians, physical therapists, radiographers, and medical billing and coding workers. It can also include trade or technical schools & medically related training programs.

Is that inclusive enough??? Or do you think people will figure out that any & all schools are to be included here except those in universities & colleges? (I don't know what schooling projects are in Geni at this time.

Do I need to specify some medically related programs examples for with the colleges & universities when attempting to determine if applicable for this Medical Portal?

4/7/2018 at 10:37 AM

Having trouble with what to call the portal. Options so far: "Medically Related Education Portal", or "Medical Education Portal" or something else???

At this point I am not looking to create projects that organizing this portal may generate. I will be happy to do so as there is a need or request. I am more concerned with getting this Medical Portal organized!!!

Here is what I have to explain what goes in this new portal, but it seems to wordy:

Schools & Training:
This section is for projects that cover ALL types of educational options for medical professions & occupations. This can include, but is not limited to: schools for physicians, chiropractors, veterinarians, dentists, pharmacists, all nursing occupations, etc, hospital programs, medical administration programs, allied health programs, which provides administrative, supportive, therapeutic, and technological roles, such as medical assistants, pharmacy technicians, physical therapists, radiographers, and medical billing and coding workers. Include trade & technical schools & medically related training programs. Completion may result in a degree, diploma, or certificate.

Universities & Colleges:
This section is for University & College projects that have ANY medically related programs, including many programs listed above as part of their curriculum. They may also include allied health courses & programs. Completion usually results in a degree.

4/7/2018 at 11:06 AM

It just occurred to me that I don't want a Portal for the different types of medical eduction options. What I want is an umbrella project for this section of the Medical Portal. (Tooooo many portals can be confusing.)

Think I will entitle it: "Medically Related Education Umbrella" (or similar) and explain what types of projects would go in each of the 2 sections, using the explanations above. I could include resources.

What do you think???

4/7/2018 at 12:26 PM

Have just created the umbrella project for the education heading in the Medical Portal.

See: https://www.geni.com/projects/Medical-Education-Umbrella/47808

4/7/2018 at 3:45 PM

That works. I don’t need to join but I will help relate appropriate projects.

4/7/2018 at 3:51 PM

Question: do we need the word umbrella in the project title or is Medical Education good enough?

I related the project to https://www.geni.com/projects/Education-Portal/15436

4/7/2018 at 3:53 PM

Or perhaps even Healthcare Education as we’re not just medical schools

4/7/2018 at 5:11 PM

I could go with Healthcare Education for the title...

4/7/2018 at 5:21 PM

I like it. Still not sure we need "Umbrella" ?

Suggestions for text updates (I can't edit project text at the moment)

This is a little confusing:

Please index projects to the appropriate category. [Keep]

DO NOT add profiles or projects to this Umbrella.

Change to

DO NOT add profiles to this "umbrella" project. Please DO index applicable Geni projects, and add to "related projects" on the right.

4/7/2018 at 9:18 PM

Erica Howton,
Have made the changes you suggested to the intro.

I think that if we leave the word "Umbrella" in the title, it will indicate that it is just that & not a place to add projects, although it could be changed... maybe change to "General Info" or something similar???

4/7/2018 at 10:22 PM

Maybe Healthcare Education: General Information would work. The term “umbrella” is “Geni jargon” and I believe could confuse people. It’s fine within the project in quotes because it’s within context.

But I still tend to think Healthcare Education alone does the job.

4/11/2018 at 10:17 AM

New project: https://www.geni.com/projects/Living-with-Sjogren-s-Syndrome/47866
Slogan's Syndrome -
Erica Howton Debbie Bell (Allen), & everyone, please look at this new project.

Is it tooooo long?

Did I pick the right pix or is there one that is better???

Oh, I am having problems getting the Wikipedia reference to link... in the site it stops after Sj -- could someone see if they can get the http line to work right???
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sjögren_syndrome Wikipedia - Sjogren’s Syndrome )

4/11/2018 at 10:21 AM

By printing the Wikipedia site here I think I might have gotten a good "copy" & will add it to the project.

4/11/2018 at 10:24 AM

Nope, it still stops after the Sj... wonder if it is due to the o with the .. over it???

4/11/2018 at 10:31 AM

OK, I fixed the link by typing the http line & changed that pesky "o" & now the link is there.

4/11/2018 at 1:11 PM

Erica Howton, Mikko Laakso, Kevin Lawrence Hanit,

I have a conundrum... I started a rough draft for an gen. info project for "Medical Research" then found that there were MANY notables. I was going to change the name to "Medical Research & Researchers". But they also fit in the Medical Scientist project.

Sooooo,
1) do I add those I found for the researchers & additional resources to the "Med Scientists & Inventors" (https://www.geni.com/projects/Medical-Scientists-Inventors/47792) project & go back to my original intent to make the proposed project a general info one

OR

2) keep it as "Medical Research & Researchers", a separate project, & put it under the "Medical Research" heading that is in bold in the portal???

If I combine some of the info I found for the "Med. Research & Researchers" should I change the name for the Medical Scientists... project to "Medical Scientists, Researchers, Inventors"???

I don't know if there would be any projects for medical research in Geni, so am not sure if that is even needed. What do you think???

Showing 1-30 of 225 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion