County Kilkenny - Main Page
Republic of Ireland
This is the Umbrella Project Page for County Kilkenny - Ireland
Still to come
- County Kilkenny Genealogical Resources
- Historical County Kilkenny
- Irish: Contae Chill Chainnigh
- Administrative centre Kilkenny
- Province Leinster
- Area 2,072 km2 (800 sq mi)
- People from County Kilkenny are called -
- Motto POSSIBLY - need confirmationm - Si deus nobiscum, quis contra nos -If god be with us, who can be against us?
County Kilkenny is a county in Ireland. It is part of the South-East Region and is also located in the province of Leinster. It is named after the city of Kilkenny. The territory of the county was the core part of the ancient Irish Kingdom of Osraige which in turn was the core of the Diocese of Ossory. Kilkenny County Council is the local authority for the county.
The county was also divided into subdivisions called baronies. Baronies are divided into townlands. There were 9 baronies and about 800 townlands in Kilkenny in 1802. Each barony was made up of a number of parishes or parts of parishes. Both civil parishes and baronies are now largely obsolete (except for some purposes such as legal transactions involving land) and are no longer used for local government purposes.
- Callan (Callainn)
- Crannagh (Crannach)
- Fassadinin (Fásach an Deighnín)
- Barony of Galmoy (Gabhalmhaigh)
- Gowran (Gabhrán)
- Ida (Uí Dheá)
- Iverk (Uíbh Eirc)
- Kells (Ceanannas)
- Kilculliheen (Cill Choilchín)
- Kilkenny City (Cill Chainnigh)
- Knocktopher (Cnoc an Tóchair)
- Shillelogher (Síol Fhaolchair)
Towns and Parishes
Free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
References and Sources
Map from Irish Ancestors where the map is interactive.
- Castleinch or Inchyolaghan
- Jerpoint West
- Killahy (Crannagh)
- Muckalee (Fassadinin)
- Muckalee (Knocktopher)
- St. Canice
- St. Johns
- St. Martins
- St. Marys
- St. Mauls
- St. Patricks
- The Rower
- Killahy (Knocktopher)