Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Historic Buildings of Co. Kilkenny L - Z

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all


Historic Buildings of Co. Kilkenny (L - Z)

Republic of Ireland

Image right - Castle Pierce - Geograph © Copyright Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.

Due to the numerous Historical buildings and castles in of County Kilkenny the project has been split into 4 projects. (The arrowed buttons below are linked to the other pages).


// Historic Buildings Ireland - Main Page

// //

If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.


The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Kilkenny, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.

Castles, Baronial and Historic houses

... in alphabetical order

Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.

Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.



Maiden Hall

○ See Buildings of Ireland Maiden Hall - home of Hubert Butler - essayist

Maudlin Castle, Restored Castle


Image Geograph © Copyright liam murphy and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.

Mountgarret Castle


Neigham Castle 4 km from Gowran

New Park built in the second half of the 18th century by Simon Newport, who established the region’s largest and most important bank, Simon Newport and Sons: at the time there was a common expression in Waterford, ‘as good as Newport’s notes.’ Unfortunately in 1820 the bank failed and the founder’s younger son William Newport who was then responsible for its affairs committed suicide. Although he repudiated any personal liability Simon Newport’s elder son, Sir John Newport, a former Chancellor of the Exchequer who was then an M.P. in London, contributed at least £5,000 towards numerous local compensation claims. On his death in 1843, New Park was inherited by Sir John’s only surviving nephew, the Rev. John Newport and when he died sixteen years later, the estate was sold to Fitzmaurice Gustavus Bloomfield whose mother had been heiress to the Castle Caldwell estate in County Fermanagh. New Park remained with the Bloomfield family until the house was destroyed by fire in 1932

The Irish Aesthete
Sir John Newport, 1st baronet - WIKI
Henrietta Julia Bloomfield - The Peerage


Image Geograph © Copyright Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.

Newtown Castle just north of the King's River west of Kells.

○ Notes from book 'Abandoned Mansions of Ireland', by Tarquin Blake. Page 170. Anglo-Norman History. 13th,C, - known as 'Nova Villa', became 'Earlstown',: Balwin de Hamstonford.,1360./ Milo Sweetman, Treasurer of Ossary, who became Bishop of Armagh. All stone high Castle, built by Sweetman, 1500, 4 storeys, impressive, but few defensive features ( top: a secret chamber) until 1653,when William Sweetman took the side of the Confederate Catholics- Forfeited estate under Cromwell, He transplanted to Connaught, 1654. * The ruined castle served as a District Chapel until 1808.(no bell, but Bill Delaney called Worshippers with a strong voice).* Still stands as an example of an Irish Tower House.

Newtown House a.k.a. Wellington House The remains of a country house estate connected to the Morris and the Greene families. Henry Thomas Butler, 2nd Earl of Carrick died in 1813, leaving his estates (Mount Juliet and Newtown) to his son-in-law, the Honourable Charles Harward Butler-Clarke-Southwell-Wandesforde. When Lady Sarah Butler married Charles Haward Butler he took her name as a condition of his inheritance. His other surnames had also been taken as a result of various other inheritances. In 1834 Newtown House was occupied by the Rev. Benjamin Morris rector of Rincurran. He died in 1846. In 1911- Widow Louisa Smithwick and her son George, retired brewer (the family of Big Brewers, still operating 2000s). Louisa Smithwick married Daniele O'Connell, 'The Liberator'/ George Smithwick retired at 36 - the Brewers amalgamated with Guinness Co. By 1969, the roof of the house was removed to avoid property taxes..left to ruin, (photographs in book).



Paulstown Castle - situated between Gowran and Paulstown 3 km from Gowran. Associations with the Flood family of nearby View Mount House (12402107/KK-21-07), the Healy family, and for the reputed connections with Sir Pearse Butler



Rossenarra House Dating from the early 1800s. Rossenarra has American connections - in the last century it was home for a period to New York-born Richard Condon, WIKI, author of novels such as The Manchurian Candidate and Prizzi’s Honor.

Rothe House



Image Geograph © Copyright Sarah777 and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.

Shankill Castle Restored Castle18th-century building that is set in beautiful parkland. The interior preserves much of its original character and features a Georgian staircase, Gothic plaster work in the dining room and a charmingly Victorian drawing room. The stable-yard and the castellated entrance to the demesne are attributed to Daniel Robertson.

Springfield House - occupied by the Waring family from c. 1740. Samuel Waring Esq. is recorded at the house from 1792-1810. Acquired by Patrick Morris in 1826. Hew was born in Waterford in 1789, emigrating to Newfoundland. He returned to Newfoundland in 1833. The house was sold in 1866 and bought by Major Purcell O'Gormain - Waterford MP, nick-named "The Joker for Waterford". He died in 1888 leaving his estate to his two daughters - Alice and and Mary. Alice married Captain Anderson of Weymouth. The Barton family bought the house in the 1920's and lived there until 1975 when it was sold to the Industrial Development Authority. Left unoccupied it fell into disrepair, was vandalised and fell into ruin. There is now a Wastewater Treatment Plant nearby.

○ Featured in Abandoned Mansioins of Ireland II by Tarquin Blake Page 140.


Image Geograph © Copyright Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.

Sweetman's Castle near the town bridge (aka Mullin's Castle), a three storey urban tower house beside the River Nore, built c1350



Image Geograph © Copyright Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.

Tibberaghny Castle,%20Kilkenny.html

Tubbrid Castle - four storey C15 Grace family tower - currently shrouded in scaffolding and appears to be undergoing restoration - 7km east of Urlingford and just south of the R693.



Image Geograph © Copyright Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.

Urlingford Castle five storey Mountgarret-Butler tower


View Mount House - associated with the Flood family




References and Sources

County Kilkenny Specific

WIKI - Buildings and Structures in County Kilkenny

- Eircom

Facebook - Kilkenny Archaeology


WIKI Republic of Ireland

WIKI List of historical abbeys, castles and monuments in Ireland

Buildings of Ireland

Landed Estates

Irish Tourism - Buildings in Ireland

Irish Tourist - Historic Buildings

Irish Central - Historical sites to visit in Ireland

Architecture of ireland


Free to follow, request to collaborate

Getting Involved

Free to follow, request to collaborate

To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.


Geni's Project Plaza
Working with Projects
Wicked Wiki
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!


Other Pages for Historic Buildings of Ireland Counties

// Historic Buildings of County Cavan

// Historic Buildings of County Carlow

// Historic Buildings of County Clare

// Historic Buildings of County Cork

// Historic Buildings of County Donegal

// Historic Buildings of County Dublin

// Historic Buildings of County Galway

// Historic Buildings of County Kerry

// Historic Buildings of County Kildare

// Historic Buildings of County Kilkenny

// Historic Buildings of Co. Kilkenny A-B
// Historic Buildings of Co. Kilkenny C - F
// Historic Buildings of Co. Kilkenny G - K

// Historic Buildings of County Laois

// Historic Buildings of County Leitrim

// Historic Buildings of County Limerick

// Historic Buildings of County Longford

// Historic Buildings of County Louth

// Historic Buildings of County Mayo

// Historic Buildings of County Meath

// Historic Buildings of County Monaghan

// Historic Buildings of County Offaly

// Historic Buildings of County Roscommon

// Historic Buildings of County Sligo

Historic Buildings of County Tipperary

// Historic Buildings of Co. Tipperary A - B
// Buildings of Co. Tipperary C - D
// Historic Buildings of Co. Tipperary E - L
// Historic Buildings of Co. Tipperary M - Z

// Historic Buildings of County Waterford

// Historic Buildings of County Westmeath

// Historic Buildings of County Wexford

// Historic Buildings of County Wicklow

// this project is in History Link