Historic Buildings of Co. Kilkenny C - F
Republic of Ireland
Image right - Desart Court
Due to the numerous Historical buildings and castles in of County Kilkenny the project has been split into 4 projects. (The arrow buttons below are linked to the other pages).
If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.
The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Kilkenny, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.
Castles, Baronial and Historic houses
... in alphabetical order
Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.
● Callan Castle - residence of Thomas Candler
○ Edward Candler of Callan, Dun Edin & Morton Pinkney (b 03.01.1803, dsp 07.04.1871)
● Callan Augustinian Friary constructed 1467-70. Known locally as the "Abbey Meadow". Edmund Butler of Pottlerath, a noted patron of literature, successfully petitioned Pope Pius II for the foundation of the friary in 1461. After Edmund died in 1462, the actual buildings were erected by his son, James, probably after 1467 when he received a papal dispensation to marry his concubine, to whom he was related. In 1472 the friary became observant—its community adopted the fashion then spreading across Europe for the strictest observance of the monastic rules — and in 1479 it became the centre of the Irish Observant Congregation. After it was closed (dissolved) and its lands confiscated by the order of Henry VIII in his campaign against the church, it passed into the hands of the Earls of Ormonde. A new monastery for the Augustinian friars was founded in the town of Callan in 1766.
● Castle Blunden Detached seven-bay three-storey over basement Classical-style country house, c.1750 built to designs attributed to Francis Bindon (c.1698-1765) See Additional images and Fire 2005
● Castle Pierce Probably late C16, very little is known about this building standing in a clearing in a dense pine forest. Its four storeys have no vaults, and is without a stone staircase. It was built by Peter Archdeacon and forfeited in the 1650s during which time it was burnt.
● Castletown (Cox). (notes from Irish Houses & Gardens,archives by Sean O;Reilly) Michael Cox- formerly Bishop of Ossary, and Archbishop of Cashel (1755) - came from an active family, established from the previous century, liberal income." a handsome bequest, intended for a church, was re-directed to the Archbishop's worldly interests in the House), The design derives from the hand of the Italian architect, Daviso D'Arcort, - a Palladium tripartite arrangement, - main elevations of the House, based on Buckingham House in England,1970s fashion. Purchased, 1909, by W H Wyndaham-Quin, 5th Earl Durevan. He moved to Adare Manor, Co. Limerick. Finally, sold 1928 to Vrian de Breffwy. 'The House is currently undergoing restoration' (1998),
● Clara Castle, Intact Castle - built in the fifteenth century by the Shortall family. The castle still retains many of its original oak doors and floor beams. It has been continuously occupied from the early 16th century, when built by the Shortall family, until 1905.
● Clomantagh Castle - was home to the Earl of Ormond, Pierce Ruadh. When he died in 1539 the castle along with other properties was passed to his son Richard Butler, first Viscount Mountgarret. The castle and its estate stayed in the Butler family until it was forfeited during the war with Cromwell to Lieutenant Arthur St. George. After the war the castle changed hands twice more and a farmhouse was added by the Shortall family, the owners in the 1800’s, before its last owner Willie White a local vet. The property is now owned by a non profit making charity called the Landmark Trust who preserve historic buildings.
● Coolhill Castle; Ruins - Circular Keep; dates back to the 13th century. Henry de Rupe (de Roache or Roche) held lands here in 1318. It was passed to the Mountgarret family in 1621 but came under Cromwell's confiscations in 1653. It is situated on a cliff which is on a bend in the River Barrow, not far from The Rower.
● Corluddy Castle; Ruin. The Grants forfeited the castle in the 1650s, and it was then granted to the Jacksons, and afterwards to the Boyces. It is sometimes referred to as Grants Castle. Corluddy was an outside fortress of Grannagh Castle and the occupants could escape from one castle to the other through the secret tunnel. The castle is 5 storey high, and is roofless but in good state of preservation.
● Courtstown Castle Tullaroan. Kilkenny, and other estates, in the possession of the Grace family for 530 years were forfeited. ”Courtstown Castle, Kilkenny, in 1701 was stripped of its leaded roof, which was sold. Its roofless walls remained standing for another 100 years when they too were destroyed so that today not even a single stone was left upon a stone". From the Dublin Penny Journal, Volume 1, No. 22, November 24, 1832.
○ Dublin Penny Journal, Volume 1, No. 22, November 24, 1832.
● Desart Court built c.1733 for John Cuffe, first Lord Desart
● Duiske Abbey former Cistercian monastery founded in the C13; subsequently became a victim of the Dissolution and was suppressed in 1536 after which the abbey deteriorated, and gradually fell into ruin. It is now the Catholic parish church of the town of Graiguenamanagh. The abbey houses one of the finest medieval effigies in Ireland in the Baptistery of the south aisle. The carving is exceptionally fine of a cross-legged knight depicted in chain mail, about to unsheath his sword.
●Dunkitt Castle, Ruins
● Foulksrath Castle Intact Castle. Built in 1616 by the Purcell. The property stayed within the family for over 300 years. During the latter years the family were forced to live in outbuildings as peasants after the castle was confiscated by Cromwell’s troops during the Conquest of Ireland. The castle fell into disrepair and had a demolition order served upon it in 1946 but thanks to the local community the castle was saved. It was renovated and opened as a hostel in 1948. The hostel was put up for sale in May 2009 and closed its doors for the last time on the 31 October. The castles owners An Oige are selling the property for offers in the region of €750,000.00.
References and Sources
County Kilkenny Specific
▷ - Eircom
Free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Other Pages for Historic Buildings of Ireland Counties
Historic Buildings of Co. Kilkenny
Historic Buildings of County Tipperary
this project is in History Link