Kia ora! Welcome to the Aotearoa New Zealand Portal.
This is the gateway for New Zealand users for resources and information to aid you in your search for your ancestors, and to promote cooperation in building the New Zealand shared family tree on Geni.
For instructions on how to use Geni, refer to the Geni Help Portal
New Zealand Projects on Geni
- 1918 lnfluenza Pandemic - New Zealand: Fatalities
- Jews in New Zealand
- New Zealand Cemeteries Index An index to pages on cemeteries in New Zealand.
- New Zealand Creative Artists Profiles for those involved in the creative arts in New Zealand including drama or theater, music, film, creative writing, graphic design, fashion design, photography and visual arts.
- New Zealand Criminals
- New Zealand Drownings
- New Zealand Missionaries In December 1814 the first missionaries arrived in the Bay of Islands, escorted by the chaplain to the prison colony of New South Wales, Samuel Marsden.
- New Zealand Murder Victims A memorial to the victims of murder in New Zealand.
- New Zealand Pioneer Families This project is aimed at documenting all of our early settler ancestors. It is also an index page to ships that arrived in New Zealand.
- New Zealand Suffrage For the profiles of people whose signature appears on the suffrage petitions presented to parliament.
- New Zealand Suffrage Centennial Medal (1993)
- Notable New Zealanders If you are related to a famous New Zealander please add them to this project.
- Parkhurst Boys: Australia and New Zealand (1842-1861) The Parkhurst boys were juvenile offenders from the Isle of Wight's Parkhurst Prison, who were transported to the Australian and New Zealand colonies between 1842 and 1861.
- Tangata Whenua o Aotearoa List of Maori iwi and their ancestors
- Treaty of Waitangi (1840) Profiles of those who signed or those who were associated with the signing of New Zealand's founding document.
- Loose Ends Have an ancestor born in New Zealand but dont know their parents? add them to this project for help
- 1863: New Zealand Disasters: HMS Orpheus (7 February 1863) The worst maritime tragedy to occur in New Zealand waters.
- 1886: New Zealand Disasters: Tarawera Eruption (10 June 1886) New Zealand's deadliest eruption since the arrival of Europeans occurred at around 1am on 10 June 1886. Up to 150 people, mostly Māori, were killed, and many settlements were destroyed or buried.
- 1947: New Zealand Disasters: Ballantyne's Fire (18 November 1947) The Ballantyne's Department Store’s fire of 18 November 1947, in Christchurch, was the worst fire in New Zealand history, killing 41 people.
- 1950: New Zealand Disasters: Ranui Sinking (28 December 1950) Just after 5.40pm on 28 December 1950 a freak wave slammed into 45ft passenger launch Ranui when she was returning from a holiday excursion to Mayor Island off Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty. 23 people died.
- 1953: New Zealand Disasters: Tangiwai Railway Disaster (24 December 1953) The worst railway disaster in New Zealand’s history occurred on Christmas Eve 1953, when the Wellington to Auckland night express plunged into the flooded Whangaehu River, just west of Tangiwai in the central North Island. Of the 285 people on board, 151 were killed.
- 1968: New Zealand Disasters: Sinking of the Wahine (10 April 1968) New Zealand's worst modern maritime disaster was the sinking of the Lyttelton–Wellington ferry Wahine on 10 April 1968 during tropical Cyclone Giselle.
- 1979: New Zealand Disasters: Mount Erebus Disaster (28 November 1979) On the morning of 28 November 1979, Air New Zealand Flight TE901 left Mangere airport, Auckland, for an 11-hour return sightseeing flight to Antarctica. At 12.49 p.m. (NZST), the aircraft crashed into the lower slopes of Mt Erebus killing all 237 passengers and 20 crew on board. It was the worst civil disaster in New Zealand's history.
- Bay of Plenty
- Hawke's Bay
- West Coast
- 2012 London Olympics Medal Winners
- All Blacks Rugby Team
- All Whites Football Team
- Silver Ferns Netball team
- New Zealand Musket Wars (1818-1840)
- The New Zealand Wars - 19th Century
- Royal New Zealand Fencibles (1847-1852)
- New Zealand Militia, Volunteers and Armed Constabulary Index (1863-1871)
- Waikato Militia (1st Regiment), New Zealand
- Waikato Militia (2nd Regiment), New Zealand
- Anglo Boer War (1899-1902) - New Zealand soldiers
- World War One: Armed Forces - New Zealand
- WW1 Roll of Honour - New Zealand
- Sinking of the HT "Marquette" 23 October 1915 The Marquette was hit by a German torpedo and sank in the Aegean Sea, with great loss of life, including ten New Zealand nurses.
- Gallipoli Campaign
- World War Two (1939-1945): Armed Forces - New Zealand
- WW2 Roll of Honour - New Zealand
- 28th Maori Battalion
- New Zealand War Memorials Index An index to war memorials within New Zealand to those who died during war.
New Zealand Geneaolgy Links
- Historical Births Deaths and Marriages
- Shipping records
- New Zealand Society of Genealogists
- Cemetery Database
- Newspaper Archives
New Zealand Family Websites
- http://www.manueljose.org.nz/ Manuel Jose
- http://www.williams.gen.nz/index.html Williams missionaries
DNA Testing http://www.familytreedna.com
Top New Zealand Users on Geni
- Sandra Jacalyn Hayes 116,157 Profiles Added
- Selwyn Pearson Feary 83,439 Profiles Added
- Jason Scott Wills 56,036 Profiles Added
- Lynette Matulovich 25,663 Profiles Added
- Donna Marie Wilson 18,586 Profiles Added
- Aage Koed 13,592 Profiles Added
- Robin Forlonge Patterson 12,162 Profiles Added
- Leonard Mark Namana 11,697 Profiles Added
- Debbie McCauley 9,702 Profiles Added
- Penelope AA Holden 6,728 Profiles Added
- Christopher Leonard Patterson 6,224 Profiles Added